Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

I was expecting the NFF to clock more than 1K units but the figures speak a different thing. This inspite of no advertising by Ford for NFF at all.

Why is the Nissan Micra numbers so less inspite of having the diesel variants?

As per newspapers MS has seen a fall of 25%, Tata - 6%, Hyundai about - 11%.
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Where is the data for Audi/Merc/bmw ??/
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:59   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat Linea at just 175 units seems to be most affected by newer arrivals like Verna and Fiesta. City has overtaken the Vento again. Great job by Hyundai Verna at 4724 units in the segment leader
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Does this mean Astar will be discontinued? Wonder how much is the export figure?
Don't remember the exact figures but it's the largest contributor to MSIL's exports which is around 10k units/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Finally, can someone tell me who is buying those Omnis.
It's the bread and butter vehicle for many Small time traders, who need to transport light stuff without having the need to hire transport vehicles and also double up as a family transport vehicle.

You will be surprised to know the used car rates for a 10 yr old Omni.
Guess it's the car with the least depreciation.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
And top 25 table lists only 19 items. More nitpicking!!!
Small suggestion, can we add a column to left and put serial number (1,2,3...25)

Otherwise great way of representing the numbers, thanks GTO and others.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is how inflation and low rate of fiscal growth hurts everyone actively and passively. Worst numbers for almost every brand.
Hyundai better think about that small diesel motor - selling cars ata lesser margin is far better than selling no cars!
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice idea of putting the numbers in a spread sheet. Is it possible to put HTML tables here? Is there any way to filter the data like in Excel?

Micra does ok-ok, not too good, not too bad either. Etios, Verna, City are the ones in business right now! Amazing numbers for the city, after the price cut.

What I am shocked about is the numbers for FIAT. Bad, or should I say worse?
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:17   #23
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the sales figures. Within the sedans, there is good news for petrol enthusiasts with the sales numbers of City and Etios looking impressive at 4k+. Only Verna and Indigo (petrol + diesel with multiple variants) could do marginally better than these two cars. Suzuki cannot be written off as the new Swift Dzire should be round the corner.

Outside sedans, it is amazing that Bolero clocks around 8K consistently.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:18   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome change. Liked the new format.

Just wondering, why isn't Mahindra releasing the Thar numbers? Its been on sale for quite some time now.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

The Fluidic Verna is a revelation. Ford have a thing or two to learn from Hyundai. Will be interesting to see how the new Fiesta fares in the coming months..

Honda City on the other hand is back in the C segment game, thanks to some pro-active measures from Honda.

What is also noteworthy is that the Etios is selling more than the Liva, or is it a case of Toyota re-jigging its production? That might change once the Liva diesel comes around.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:28   #26
BHPian

Was eagerly waiting for this to come up, Beat almost overtook the Figo there 5240 and 5273. GM has been marketing Beat in a fairly nice manner. That said, the petrol only cars are feeling the heat here. I10 and Wagaon R the prominent ones. Interesting is that Etios with only petrol doing 4000 odd units, it should be interesting to note that the Diesel motor is coming in September. VW will need reignite the demand for Vento and Polo

EDIT: Did anyone notice A-star? 779 units.

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 2nd August 2011 at 18:30.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quick points from my side:

Not a bright month for Tata. The Nano continues it's yo-yo performance, sometimes good & other times terrible. Very inconsistent for a car in the mass market segment. A mere 3,200 units is nothing for this wonderful car (Tata marketing failure, no doubt). Indica + Vista also perform at 50% of their previous levels, obviously feeling the heat from younger competitors + Tata's poor marketing. Even the Manza deserves to do better, if we go by product strengths alone.
GTO, why do you blame the Tata marketing. They are doing a good job IMO. They have been able to market Nano very well. Mostly all international colleagues of mine know of only one major brand from India - Tata. And they know it through - Nano. And all of them want to own one and the general perception is that while it is cheap but its very cute and is not chinese, but robustly engineered.

From the analysis we have done (and I am not a Tata employee) one of the conclusions we have reached is that Nano kind of falls in no mans land. The nano range starts at a point, when a ordinary 2 wheeler owner's finances will be stretched greatly if he opts to buy one.
While when a person who can afford to buy the car starts to look at it, he/she inavriably starts looking at higher speced Nano models, at which point the Alto(a better higher segment car) too starts to beep within the radar radius of the buyer.

And secondly, car buying is more than a consumer buying mobility or mode of transport. Just look at the owner review section of Team-bhp and see how people have passionately named their cars. Some have even named their acquisitions after retired army generals, famous personalities etc. It is this novelty of owning a car and being associated to a brand, which is lacking the most in Tata.

Another T-bhp statistic is also interesting in the official review sections, if you track the number of views or replies a particular review has garnered, you will notice that Tata cars stack somewhere in the bottom of the list.

Now one can say that for the second point the TML marketeers are to be blamed. But the fact is Tata stands for so many things and the name is managed for so many products, that we just cant say it is the TML marketeers who are to be blamed.
rrsteer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:33   #28
BHPian

175 Lineas? What a bummer! Only earlier today I was on Linea's page in Brazil where they have launched the 2012 Linea or are on the verge of launching it and it looks so darn good. It apparently competes with the Civic and Corolla in Brazil. Here it is unable to compete in a lower segment. It really stumps me.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Finally, can someone tell me who is buying those Omnis.
I also wondered the same when I saw the new TV campaign thats running non stop on TV . Omni still has strong preference where people need a quasi goods carrier like kirana shops , medical stores , taxi , etc

On the overall numbers when i see the figures for ANHC and Optra , they tell a very contrasting story . ANHC is a quality product which is flying off the shelf when right priced, its non existent diesel option handicap notwithstanding. On the other hand even dirt cheap pricing for Optra coupled with a diesel mill isn't making the sales go anywhere ! Overall shows how we have matured as consumers - we hunt for bargains but are cautious about iffy products / brands.

Last edited by souravc : 2nd August 2011 at 18:45.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:39   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the Figures GTO.

A very bad month for Fiat !!!. Sad to see that their diesel engines are not helping to improve their own sales counts while its helping Tata and Maruti..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks