Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Thanks GTO - one of the most awaited data no doubt!!

It will be interesting to note what Hyundai will do now to the i10 (and even i20). The kappa2 is pricey and folks are moving away from it slowly. The car is an absolute charmer but higher pricing & petrol only is hurting it. They are trying to lure buyers but its not gonna help a whole lot. We will watch it eagerly!

Hats off to M&M on the Verito success! Indeed its a long coming, but what a come-back!!!

Are we staring at the end of Nano? I hope not!!

Agree wholeheartedly.
And I believe Hyundai is taking this seriously. This screenshot is taken just a minute back.

July 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures-clipboard01.jpg
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:41   #47
BHPian

I own the ANHC just a year old, and they drop prices Rs 70 thousand. Feel cheated. But the hike in fuel prices @ 70/- per ltr killed the City and petrol cars including the Vento and buyers shifted to diesel cars. Todays papers point to a recession in the auto sector. Which is good news because we need fewer cars on our congested roads.
I work for ONGC and we drill for oil day and night and there is nothing down below.

Within the next 5 yrs automobiles must run on fuels other than fossil fuels. Today we pay Rs 70/- by next year we will pay Rs 100/- per ltr. For pensioners like me we will have ANHC's, all garaged and travel by Public transport.

We take fuel hikes for granted and adjust. No longer. Give and take 5 years fossil fuels will be unafordable.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 2nd August 2011 at 20:42.
nanduchitnis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
I own the ANHC just a year old, and they drop prices Rs 70 thousand. Feel cheated. But the hike in fuel prices @ 70/- per ltr killed the City and petrol cars including the Vento and buyers shifted to diesel cars. Todays papers point to a recession in the auto sector. Which is good news because we need fewer cars on our congested roads.
I work for ONGC and we drill for oil day and night and there is nothing down below.

Within the next 5 yrs automobiles must run on fuels other than fossil fuels. Today we pay Rs 70/- by next year we will pay Rs 100/- per ltr. For pensioners like me we will have ANHC's, all garaged and travel by Public transport.

We take fuel hikes for granted and adjust. No longer. Give and take 5 years fossil fuels will be unaffordable.

Just my 2 cents.

Noooooooooooooo!

Theatrics aside - it is absolutely true that the world must search for a replacement of petrol/diesel etc.

But I believe the greedy government has much to do with the high pricing of fuel in India.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:48   #49
BHPian

Re: What's going with Big 3 of Indian automotive industry

I am not saying that Maruti is doing OK anyway but I feel that sales figures in the last two months are dismal due to
1. Strike which crippled the swift, Dzire SX4 output
2. They are coming up with the new swift dzire and so people are waiting.
3. Production for the current swift is stopped.

Apart from this I also feel that Ritz is shown good performance.

Instead of continuing with A star they should let it die. Same with 800.
I guess things are going to change with the New Swift, Dzire CS and the new MUV all coming this year.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:50   #50
Team-BHP Support

Fall of Tata - no vehicle from it's stable is a segment leader as such. Save the Safari and Manza, I doubt any from Tata's line-up entices customers.

Maruti - well, maybe lack of diesel on Alto/WagonR?

Hyundai - as GTO said in his July sales thread, the diesel variants of i20 are on the higher trims. Maybe that's why.

Also, the overall industry itself is facing declining growth. It's just that, since the 3 are top manufacturers, the effect is more pronounced.

Also, competition from
1) VW - Polo
2) Toyota - Etios, Liva
3) Skoda - Fabia (the Skoda Celebrations discount)
4) Ford - Figo

has a huge role to play in this.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd August 2011 at 20:58.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Believe Hyundai is already into damage control:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2453730

No changes noticed on Maruti / Tata websites
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:58   #52
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the new format. Extremely easy to read through!

Some random thoughts on some lower volume players.
  1. 781 for the New Fiesta: I expected much lesser – especially after all those noise on the pricing.
  2. Laura and Cruze going quite close.
  3. Quite disappointing nos. from Passat. Is it the pricing?
  4. 175 for Linea is quite sad.
  5. Fluence is doing better than expected.
  6. And finally, more than 300% growth for the Camry!
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Cruze sells more than civic. Does it make civic and Honda iffy product and brand? It's unfair to call Optra an iffy product. Can you substantiate your claim?
The fact is Optra is dated.
I have seen few people bragging to an unreasonable level about Optra, but the fact is if Optra wants to compete with the competition, it has to get a makeover. Other than space and power I dont see anything. The design is 2 generations old. And most people avoid cars that dont sell because of spares availability. (The biggest Marketing of a car is the number on roads.)
And then why buy a new magnum if the pre-worshipped ones are available at great value?

Quote:
Todays papers point to a recession in the auto sector. Which is good news because we need fewer cars on our congested roads.
Recession- Yes
Less congestion- Hell no.
I see it as number of cars are still on the rise. We still are not scrapping cars. Are we?

Quote:
What about other countries? I hear US has huge unused reservoirs of fossil fuel.
I think the figure 70Rs is mainly due to imposed tax. I would appriciate if someone could clarify the exact amount, but I believe the tax is approximately 50%. Charge tax and then provide subsidy (for diesels). Whats the point?

The way I see the only cars plying on Indian soils after 20 yrs will be EVs.

Last edited by oxyzen : 2nd August 2011 at 21:10.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:05   #54
BHPian

The new format is really good. Could we limit the months shown to the last three months along with last year's figures? Otherwise as the year passes by the number of columns would keep on increasing and we would need to scroll back and forth. Or else can the width of columns/font size be reduced?

Quote:

We take fuel hikes for granted and adjust. No longer. Give and take 5 years fossil fuels will be unafordable.

Just my 2 cents.
No wonder you are not finding anything. You should be drilling in Middle East. Anyway the beauty of capitalism is that as the resources get diminished, their prices rise, innovation creeps in and alternate resources become economically viable.
jods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:05   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen

The fact is Optra is dated.
I have seen few people bragging to an unreasonable level about Optra, but the fact is if Optra wants to compete with the competition, it has to get a makeover. Other than space and power I dont see anything. The design is 2 generations old. And most people avoid cars that dont sell because of spares availability. (The biggest Marketing of a car is the number on roads.)
And then why buy a new magnum if the pre-worshipped ones are available at great value?
Dated, yes. But you cannot call it iffy. Even civic sells very low.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Its heartening to see the City getting back to its game! I'm sure no other car in that segment could do that without a diesel heart to fight the battle with! Kudos But still Verna rules! By a fair margin at that.
Beat is clearly benefitted by the diesel engine. But Jazz's price cut has not helped it a bit sadly! It surely is a brilliant product, even its price has been corrected now!
There is a general slow down in petrol only models, except the City. Could observe that in the i10, Santro, Wagon R, Alto and many other models. It clearly says something : Diesels are the way forward from here on!
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:11   #57
BHPian

First - many thanks to Technocrat, Zappo & GTO. This consolidated report looks awesome

The gargantuan difference between petrol and diesel (thanks to our insane Govt. policy) have taken the petrol cars for a ride.

Hyundai: Seems to be the most affected (when compared to June's sales); still Verna looks promising. Verna is going to do what i20 did.
Ford: Figo right on track. Fiesta classic seems to be oblivious to NFF. Also, 780 for NFF is really great, with the crappy pricing.
Mitsu: Happy to see Cedias doing numbers. But, this not going to take them anywhere. Bring in th new Lancer, please.
Honda: City is back in action. Good numbers and Honda had learnt the lesson and wish they don't screw up their pricing strategy (much to woes of the existing customers) with their future cars.
Maruti: I think we can equate Magic = Maruti. 800 still doing 1600+, Omni at 7400+ and Eeco 5900+. What the heck? I don't understand this. Swift numbers are expected. Also, why there was a dip in SX4 sales in June?
VW: City's price drop has seriously affected Vento. 3500+ for Polo is more than good (totally unrefined 3 -pot engine). Why has the Passat gone down?
Toyota: Great numbers for the bare bone Liva. Seriously speaking, I wasn't expecting this. I thought Etios would climb up. Claps for Corolla.
Chevy: What happened to Spark? Coz of the Beat diesel?

Last edited by hdnivara : 2nd August 2011 at 21:18.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:11   #58
MCR
BHPian

Guys, wake up and smell some coffee. The honeymoon days are over.
These are the two huge factors affecting the car sales;

1. High rate of interest on car loans and
2. High prices of fuel.

Add to these the following additional factors;

1. Stricter lending clauses by banks thanks to increasing number of loan defaulters.
2. High inflation.
3. High interest rates on other loans ( home, personal etc.).

The negative sales trend will continue for a few more months. Once RBI sees that the inflation is manageable, only then wil the rates of interest come down.
But if the crude oil prices keep increasing like the way they are today, then its completely a different story.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:14   #59
BHPian

What I like this month are
1. Ritz has sold approx 2500vehicles more. Seems like Swifts loss is Ritz' gain.
2. Bolero still rules the rural kingdom.
3. Honda gets the sales back with price cut. City now belongs to the right place in the price chart
4. Another one who got its Price right and won hearts with VFM is Hyundai with the Fluidic Verna. Did not feel that it was great car to drive but looks, power, comfort and features make it VFM and people always like that.

Some dismal points
1. Fiat! Fiat! What are you doing ? Why are you so bent upon going under ?
2. Santro, i10 numbers are going south. Hyundai your small car magic ain't working like it did or are you done with toiling in the small car segment ?
3. ANFiesta got its price wrong and is paying the price for it.More can be said only after looking at the next month sales. Even the Fiesta Classic outsold the AN Fiesta. Looks like people are not all that wanting of global cars
4. Cruze below Corolla altis ? Cruze has the potential and the capability to be at the top. Sad to see the segment still dominated by Corolla with the miniscule 87bhp engine.
5. Tata is at also doing bad. When two partners do bad they should end the partnership. When they are doing bad, it should mean that what they are doing is wrong. Get your act right. you two.

Now I know the Beat Diesel was launched on 27th. That caused the sudden spurt is sales ? Is it the dealer vehicles shipped for test drive ? I am shocked. nonetheless.
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:17   #60
BHPian

A suggestion, I would like to see the detailed data on each car sorted according to segment rather than by manufacturer. I feel it would make comparing them so much more easier.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed