Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:14   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Superb new format GTO, Technocrate and Zappo. Thanks.

Will be looking forward to the continued changes and improvements that may have been planned.

Maruti and Hyundai have overall done much better than TATA last month inspite of TATA being the one with Diesel options across the range (except for the nano). That is really Odd.

Now infact Toyota, Ford M&M are going by last months poor show by TATA in a way snapping at it's feet. It needs a new look at it's marketing. It needs some freshness.

Hyundai needs to be acknowledged for going Ok in this scenario as also Maruti. Toyota winners continue to do well. Don't know what leves would be reached for Etios and Liva if they did not have production constraints.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

175 Lineas is alarming. I guess the number of Tjets in this figure would be single digits. Fiat must be spending more on just keeping its car business going than the actual income from selling their cars. Really scary time to be a Fiat owner.

Even if the Jazz sale was just a inventory clearance thing, I guess the new Jazz would be priced near about the reduced price and then it will be pretty interesting to watch the new priced Jazz take on the new Swift petrol and the i20 petrol.

The City is flying once again thanks to its price cuts. So Peple still prefer a City to any other petrol premium sedan.

Ritz is doing good which is solely due to production halt of the swift.

Spark? Can they just divert a part of the production capacity to reduce the production of their best seller? Hmm I am not sure how manufacturing really works.

In all petrol cars had a tough month. Even the best sellers are way below their average numbers.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Nano will keep reporting these numbers as long as it sounds the way it does. Why can't they put a more expensive Silencer on this car to suppress that Auto Rickshaw sound?

My wife was initially interested in this car. But first sound of it. And that resulting NO is still a resounding NO.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

It was the hatch segment that had a fierce battle. Now even the C segment starts their own. City, Vento, Verna, Fiesta- all running a good show. Honda's price cut has saved the day for them. And look where they went with that! VW must be sweating.

P.S: Mods - Nice format. Gives a better perspective of the overall car scene. Would this xls be available for download too?
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:47   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Finally, can someone tell me who is buying those Omnis.
Interestingly a cabbie in Bombay who was driving the newer WagonR black and yellow cab told me, "For a while the Maruti Suzuki guys stopped selling the Eeco to the cabbies insisting that they buy the Omnis - once they cleared the stock, they once again offered the Eeco as a cab option." It is pretty lame if they really did - it is like force feeding your product down the throat of a consumer who needs a vehicle for his bread and butter. Cheap and lame.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Nano will keep reporting these numbers as long as it sounds the way it does. Why can't they put a more expensive Silencer on this car to suppress that Auto Rickshaw sound?

My wife was initially interested in this car. But first sound of it. And that resulting NO is still a resounding NO.
I tend to agree. Most of my friends think that the Nano has a Auto Rickshaw engine! This is mostly because of the sound.
TaMo should do something about it!
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:59   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Well reading this months figures I am wondering if Honda even needs to bring in a diesel or not. They are almost selling as much as the segment leader without any diesel engine. I guess even today most people considering Petrol cars dont look or trust much beyond Honda. And as GTO said if they bring in the Diesel engine, that will compete with its petrol sibling too. It might hurt Honda only more and I doubt if the numbers will change much. May be by a marginal 500-1k per month which will not be justified in terms of profit. Also Diesel model will be costlier!!
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

Its sad to see that MS's breadand butter the Dzire is selling in the 3K figures. It always used to be very close to the 10K mark, why is this steep decline? Due to the Manesar strike? Cant be due to Interest rate & fuel hike I guess.

Good for them as Eeco is now seen as an substitute for overcoming the drop in Dzire numbers

Whats with Lancer and Cedia numbers? Aren't HM-Mitsu people serious of doing business in India, the numbers are pathetic.
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:57   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Its sad to see that MS's breadand butter the Dzire is selling in the 3K figures. It always used to be very close to the 10K mark, why is this steep decline? Due to the Manesar strike?

Its due to the production shift out from the Manesar plant.

Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:58   #100

Ford Fiesta figures doesn't seem sustainable. Almost all dealers have got the new Fiesta for display in showrooms.

Only 2 to 3 months down the line, the figures would clearly indicate the actual sales.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:29   #101
BHPian

Wow, Fiat numbers are really scary. Really makes me think whether anybody in their practical mind would go for a Fiat now. Its really even making me rethink considering I have been a lifelong Fiat owner in India and am still considering the Linea.
On the plus point for interested buyers they should already be offering more discounts now.

Same goes for A-Star. I hope Maruti betters its July offer now on the A-Star Auto.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:31   #102
BHPian

Really improved report structure!Thanks GTO, Technocrat & Zappo!

A small suggestion (nitpcking?!): Sales figures could be in reverse chronological order from left to right - July first, then June and so on... as one is more interested in current and other most recent numbers. The change will facilitate easier reading of the data.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:19   #103
BHPian

Re: What's going with Big 3 of Indian automotive industry

IMHO,

The increse in petrol prices in the range of double digit % since last year could be one of the major cause for people to stay away from fresh purchases. This is mostly the Alto, Wagon R segement, Swift, i10 prospects.

This is further dampned by the increase in Interest rates recently which directly hit the ownership and running costs for the Mass market individuals.

However, this should be a good oppurtunity for selling the diesel mills. May be those were again on the lesser % of over all figures sold and the interest rate bugged them further.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:54   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What's going with Big 3 of Indian automotive industry

"Rise in petrol prices, rising commodity prices, increasing lending rates and the sales wise ‘not-so-hot’ month of July together created a disappointing month for the car industry. The car industry showed negative growth after a period of 30 months, or two and a half years"

July 2011 sales report: Car industry shows negative growth after 30 months

Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:55   #105
BHPian

I have always disagreed that diesel sells. Altis was selling almost the same number without diesel. i20 would sell the same number without diesel. SX4 was selling the same number without diesel. alto will sell the same number with diesel... so on. All it needs is a well priced package.

Honda City was overpriced from day one and lacked features. It was selling well due to lack of fitting competition. Now it has a fitting competition in Verna and Vento. So, they either had to take a hit or cut the price. They had experienced both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well reading this months figures I am wondering if Honda even needs to bring in a diesel or not. They are almost selling as much as the segment leader without any diesel engine. I guess even today most people considering Petrol cars dont look or trust much beyond Honda. And as GTO said if they bring in the Diesel engine, that will compete with its petrol sibling too. It might hurt Honda only more and I doubt if the numbers will change much. May be by a marginal 500-1k per month which will not be justified in terms of profit. Also Diesel model will be costlier!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks