Team-BHP - Recycling Automotive Waste
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Recycling Automotive Waste (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/105558-recycling-automotive-waste.html)

Is any one of us aware of / involved of recycling automotive waste?

I came to know that tyres, which pose major environmental threat, are being recycled to get useful products. Recycling/reclaiming used lube oils is another one I am aware of as is recycling batteries.

There sure are many other technologies involving recycling things automotive. I would like to know to what extent used parts of a vehicle can be recycled.

Well, the good thing about India is, we typically drive our cars into the ground. It's not uncommon to find Marutis manufactured in 1985 still providing service to a happy 7th owner. Plus, jugaad & quick fixes probably make car parts last longer in India than other countries where labour is expensive.

If we wanted to, the glass area, iron, steel & some rubber / plastic parts can be recycled. Unfortunately, that hardly seems to be the case in India.

I'm more concerned about Oil, and what the local service stations do.

I would appreciate some light on this regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2455477)

In US a surcharge is added by the service station to correctly dispose off the exhausted consumables. In some apartment complexes - even washing cars are prohibited. Also - even if you change the oil/filter yourself - you can drop off the used ones to your local WalMart for free and they shall responsibly dispose it off.
I guess the same should be started for India also. Let the government give some grant to big supermarkets like big bazaar etc for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 2455477)

In mumbai they sell it off to persons moving around on cycles with 20 ltrs black carbouy on their carriers who in turn sell it off to people who recycle it in their plants and new engine oil is made out of it.
Else they sell it off to furnace oil making units.

Here's a summary of what all is recycled:
Oil: Oil is a major concern. However, luckily, its also one of the most recycled item. Used oil is drained and sold to small time recyclers.

Sheet metal: Is recycled, contrary to what was posted earlier.

Scrapped warranty items: Recycled. However, a significant number of these are reconditioned and sold (fake parts)

Batteries: Recycled but in a very environmentally & human unfriendly manner
Tyres: Ditto

Anyone know where I can source recycled tyres? Want to make car floor mats etc from them...think it is a good use of the tyres.

I am particularly looking in bangalore.

Thanks,
Manas

Hey guys, check out this thread :

Recycling Demo & Training Centre in Chennai

A few pics are included too.

cya
R

There'a a lot thats done in many big cities towards car recycling than we sometimes know. Check this:

There was a documentry covered by one Sanjeev Bhaskar on Discovery that covered exactly the same topic. His travels on the chor bazaar streets of Mumbai were amazing. Contrary to popular belief, you will be surprised to find rows of licensed shops that recycle various parts within an automobile.

Think about the rickshaws and old cabs in the city, thats their final resting place. Starting from one end, to the other its like an assembly line in a factory except this one takes it all off.

I'm not saying go sell ur car there, but its a channel people seldom realise about. It's legit, its green and it works :)