Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 12:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Freak Mishap on Toyota Fortuner: Owner demands compensation

As an owner of a Fortuner this news piece is certainly very disturbing. More dissappointing is the fact that there has been no proper RCA done for the issue.
Once a catastrophic failure has happened it is difficult to diagnose the problem since everybody goes into defensive mode right from Owner to ASC and the company itself, all hiding facts. Looking at whatever facts we have here is my take

1. Owner related problem. Unlikely. Driving at 110 kmph on an expressway
by a rally driver is routine. I am also sure that the owner must be aware
of the 4H, 4HL and 4LL modes.

2. Accidently shifting the 4x4 lever to 4HL. Unlikely. since it is a mechanical engagement and does require certain amount of force. And shifting into 4LL. Highly unlikely since it requires clutch to be depressed
at speeds "below" 5 kmph if its to be engaged on the fly.

3. Design related issue. Unlikely. The vehicle has been running in world markets since long.

4. Component defect. Could be. But I sure key components of the drive chain are all imported and sourced from proven vendors.

5. Manufacturing / QC error. Could be since the pressure to increase the volume after the Fort became a runaway success. But i doubt since its an assembly line and if anything goes wrong then it will go wrong in many vehicles.

6. ASC goofup. This is a very strong possibility. Believe me the ASC guys know nothing about this vehicle, at least in Tier 2 cities. A grease monkey
innocently blocks a tube or something and the result could be this..
I have had my share of "experiences" at the Toyota ASC !

Whatever be the cause it would be of great help to all T Fort owners if its known and properly documented.

Manuj ... keep up the good work..
columbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 18:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Right on Colombus. ASCs have very little knowledge of 4WD vehicles here. That is one of the reasons why I don't take the Fortuner through deep water or slush as much as I would like to, because I can't be confident that they will take proper care e.g. greasing, checking etc. - that is required after immersion.
Old 13th March 2016, 22:30   #48

I bumped into this thread today. There is no update since Sept 2011. Was the root cause of the incident ever found ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks