Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

The front looks Ok.
The colour & the paint quality also looks top notch.

Somehow the steering & the C Pillar looks funny.
The first thing that came to mind was "Dzire of C segment".
Much will depend how they position & price band it -I guess they will position it with ANHC/NFF/Vento/ANHV etc.

It would also be interesting to see what the interiors have to offer.

Nissan expanding the dealership and the A.S.S will also be the key to market.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 3rd August 2011 at 20:54.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:19   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a merge of a downsized Teana's front with a Dzire's rear, and probably due to that the whole look of the car appears to be slightly asymmetric as we move from the front to the rear, if you notice the curve of the roofline as it bends towards the boot. I am guessing rear passengers will have slightly less headroom to deal with, even if legroom seems (and should be) more than ample.

Headlights look fresh. Tail lights seem like they will do the job.

Boot should be decent, not groundbreaking or anything.

Colour finishing and quality is definitely nice, as RemingtonSteele pointed out. Panel gaps are evident, though I think they will be rectified by launch time.

Interiors look like they have been built to a cost - nothing to be excited about, unless someone finds those steering-mounted controls a bit different than the usual. Seats look comfy, with plenty of legroom both front and rear. Headroom might be a problem as I pointed out above.

GC seems okay, although everytime I see the pic of the red Sunny from the back I am reminded of the Dzire's GC. Looks like Nissan borrowed a lot of these small bits from Maruti's best-selling entry level sedan, although the Micra platform they have based this on is amply evident. The car looks definitely longer than the Dzire though - I am guessing it should be more in Verna territory.

Overall, a no-nonsense no-fuss car which will do the job, and is available as an option to those who have grown out of their Dzire fascination.

As for the pricing, I am guessing Nissan will price this at a slight premium - expect this to start at around 6.9L, and go up to 9.5-10L for the top-end variant.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd August 2011 at 21:20.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:21   #33
BHPian

Looks apart, there are many USPs for this Nissan.

1. Interior space is very good

2. Fuel efficiency

3. Nissans are known for their japanese reliability

4. Pricing worldwide indicates it would greatly undercut verna, fiesta n likes.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:18   #34
BHPian

The rear looks like Dzire at first glance. The front is somewhat acceptable. I somehow do not like Sunny sharing interior parts with Micra. I think the interior is exactly the same. The plastics used seem to be cheap (as seen in pics). Pricing will be its key to success. In the C segment there is already fierce competition between Vento, Verna and City and I do think Sunny will make any changes in the ranking order. This might decrease the sales of Linea, Sx4 and Fiesta though.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:56   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
The interiors are very dull and mediocre just like any other entry level sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
The steering looks too puny compared to the car. I never did like the Micra interiors, too bad they choose to continue the same in the new launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Interiors look really dated. I did not like the steering wheel.
Am I missing something here? I looked through all the pictures thrice but didn't see any interior pictures.

Though the car is not a looker, I guess it will do well. It sells quite well in many countries.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:34   #36
BHPian

My 2 cents (my earlier post was in a hurry):

Looks:

>Nothing to be cheerful about but yes IMO it does look better than ETIOS/VERITO and DZIRE (as mentioned earlier).
>The front of the Sunny is actually quite good-looking but is somewhat spoiled by the DZIREish bulky rear (but anyways much better than that of the NFF and ETIOS and VERITO).
>Overall it looks like a scaled down version of TEANA (as pointed out earlier in this thread).
>The 14' steel wheels look too puny for a car of this dimensions (with wheelbase of 2601 mm!).

Interiors:

>Again nothing to say much (because not many pics available and also due to its part sharing with the Micra) but those dull grey (or brown?) interiors pass of better than those of the ETIOS/VERITO (only if the Sunny is competing with the entry level sedans else they a disaster when compared to cars a segment above).

Engine and other specs:

>Not officially available yet so can't comment on it yet (though there is a engine choice of 1.5l Petrol and a similar Diesel, which some other sites have cited).

Will it sell?:

>Maybe Yes maybe No.

Yes (If priced correctly and with a good level of equipment comparable to that of the other entry level sedans. But considering the dimensions of the car, I don't think so this is going to happen).

No (If NISSAN plans to compete it against the likes of CITY/VERNA/VENTO/FIESTA cause these cars are way ahead in their looks and other departments, subjective of course!).

But then we Indian Customers are inscrutable in nature and hence which car will the light of the day only time will tell!
Old 4th August 2011, 02:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Am I missing something here? I looked through all the pictures thrice but didn't see any interior pictures
You certainly haven't looked well enough. 3rd picture is an interior shot

The steering does look plasticky and the audio control buttons look kinda too flashy for my taste with all the shiny texture. The car looks good from the out though.

What Nissan really need to do is ramp up their dealer network well in advance and then make the move.
Old 4th August 2011, 06:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

The resemblance to Dzire is well evidenced. The curvy, sloping C pillar is the main link highlighting the same design philosophy. Since both are India specific, the similarity in the thinking process is justified, Dzire is a success since its launch and Sunny appears its clone specifically made to gain entry in to that domain. A similar rear treatment with adequate chrome, similarly looking front wheel arches, dimensions are the pertinent points.
Now for the numbers.
Old 4th August 2011, 07:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The resemblance to Dzire is well evidenced. The curvy, sloping C pillar is the main link highlighting the same design philosophy. Since both are India specific, the similarity in the thinking process is justified, Dzire is a success since its launch and Sunny appears its clone specifically made to gain entry in to that domain. A similar rear treatment with adequate chrome, similarly looking front wheel arches, dimensions are the pertinent points.
Now for the numbers.
Don't believe the Sunny is a clone of Dzire - because it was there in the international market well before the dzire came out, albeit in earlier avatars.
Old 4th August 2011, 07:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Don't believe the Sunny is a clone of Dzire - because it was there in the international market well before the dzire came out, albeit in earlier avatars.
Thanks, but I was knowing that. I am referring about this avatar.
Remember, PAL was about to start manufacturing the Sunny in the late 80's after they bought the 118 old dies and were toying with the idea of inserting the 1100cc Padmini engine on it, when as a prelude to the Sunny tie up, Nissan gifted the 118 NE's engine to PAL as a freebie.(The NE stood for Nissan Engine).

But unfortunately (or fortunately) that tie up did not materialize.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th August 2011 at 07:53.
Old 4th August 2011, 07:56   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
You certainly haven't looked well enough. 3rd picture is an interior shot
Thanks. I can see it now. I knew something was wrong, with everyone commenting on the interiors and I couldn't see anything.
Old 4th August 2011, 08:00   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Agree with Sid. Sunny not a new name. And the design language to very close to the other sedans in the family – Sylphy and Teana. IMHO, the comparison to Dzire is a bit harsh . True that the car is based on the Micra platform, but it does not look like a mere boot attachment job to the Micra.

Nissan is quite close to Toyota for its reliability and no-nonsense approach. From the looks, the car will be definitely placed above the likes of Etios and Dzire. A pricing at the lower end of SX4/City/Vento could work. And definitely a wider dealer network to backup.
Old 4th August 2011, 08:28   #43
dot
Senior - BHPian

The Sunny has the Nissan family look. Posting a few pictures of the latest Altima, which looks similar. BTW, Altima comes with a sweet revving 2.5 4L and a 3.5L V6 engine. Growling engines are Nissan's USP. When will it ever come to India? Tacky interiors has been a bane forever.

Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.-2011nissanaltima.jpg

Name:  2011_nissan_altima_coupepic6554793271945771017.png
Views: 5939
Size:  622.3 KB

Last edited by dot : 4th August 2011 at 08:29.
Old 4th August 2011, 08:36   #44
BHPian

Two short observations vis-a-vis this vehicle as well as Nissan in general. I am sure many others might have noticed and even experienced it, but reversing a sedan with a raised boot section can be quite a challenge. The only exceptions to this would be the Honda City, the Mitsubishi Lancer/Cedia, the Baleno and the Renault Logan/Mahindra Verito. And now we have the Nissan Sunny. The other point is about the top-notch build quality of Nissans. Atleast I get that impression from the photographs of a few smashed-up Micras posted elsewhere in this forum (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pics-590.html).
Old 4th August 2011, 09:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Posting a few pictures of the latest Altima.
Attachment 587928

Is that kind of funny C' Pillar their style statement ??
Don't you guys think it looks out of the place ??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks