Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 02:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

This car may be a good option for many.

As of now, we have the Etios, Logan/Verito and Manza in the lower C segment. Etios and Logan suffer from issues with finish and design. Manza with the finish in parts, niggles and questionable quality (depending on how one looks at it). All of them have ample space too - something many Indian families want (given how we seem to travel with families and friends oftener than many other countries).

This brings the Nissan Sunny in. It should be a spacious sedan, without being too pricy, hopefully with a good enough finish. My not be driver oriented (there is little demand for that anyway), but should work for many. It hopefully will have better finish interiors than the trio above, similar space (though there seem to be potential headroom issues at the rear), and a much higher feel-good factor. Something one may attach some pride in owning, which seems to be missing in the trio.

It is likely to be a better car than the Dzire with it's inside space and that hopefully it should be more airy (or shall we say 'Sunny' ). What they may sorely lack is the sparse A$$ network.

Pricing it about 1.2-1.4L above Dzire should work. The ANHC and Fluidic are priced high enough for this one to slot in right there.

I smell a good thing coming up here.

But Oye!! - Are we going to have an Oye Sunny Sunny Oye, with a cousin of Bobby Doel coming up?
(sorry - hard to resist. BTW the ones about JLo and Oprah were very funny! No Dolly Parton standing backwords yet?!!! LOL)

Last edited by Poitive : 5th August 2011 at 02:57.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

The Criterion in this segment are maximum interior space.
So the design has been made keeping this in mind.
That's why the roof too looks funny. It's main aim being liberating as much headroom as possible for the rear passengers.
From what i have read so far, this is going to be one rather spacious car in it's segment. Maybe not up to the Manza league, but to be better than the Dzire and Etios.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:50   #78
BHPian

Looks are subjective, but I'm struggling to find anyone appreciating it. My point is, good looks could've been it's USP and lured customers away from the Dzire/Etios/Manza.

Even if it does not set sales charts on fire and cause long delays, Nissan will surely ship their consignments on time if the pricing is right. It's just 'some car'
Old 5th August 2011, 13:10   #79
BHPian

Nissan's success has always been based on giving customers exactly what they want whether it be sporting flair (350Z), competent family transport (Teana) or room for five kids and a dog (X-trail). But truthfully, neither Micra nor Sunny seems to appeal to Indians (I may be jumping the gun here)

To begin with, the name "Sunny" - reminiscent of Bajaj Sunny wouldn't do good to their branding proposition. Hope I am wrong here. The car styling looks a little drab against competition in the segment - a bit subjective I must add. If it is positioned in the entry level sedan (Etios, Fiesta Classic, Manza, DZire) it might well stand out. But if positioned in mid sized sedans (AHNV,AHNC,Vento) it'll lag in most aspects.

Then again its early to take a call unless the car is reviwed to the fullest. Found it amusing in keeping interiors inacessible post launch.

Diwali might just have few additional "crackers" in store for consumers
Old 5th August 2011, 13:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Nissan's success has always been based on giving customers exactly what they want whether it be sporting flair (350Z), competent family transport (Teana) or room for five kids and a dog (X-trail). But truthfully, neither Micra nor Sunny seems to appeal to Indians (I may be jumping the gun here)

To begin with, the name "Sunny" - reminiscent of Bajaj Sunny wouldn't do good to their branding proposition. Hope I am wrong here. The car styling looks a little drab against competition in the segment - a bit subjective I must add. If it is positioned in the entry level sedan (Etios, Fiesta Classic, Manza, DZire) it might well stand out. But if positioned in mid sized sedans (AHNV,AHNC,Vento) it'll lag in most aspects.

Then again its early to take a call unless the car is reviwed to the fullest. Found it amusing in keeping interiors inacessible post launch.

Diwali might just have few additional "crackers" in store for consumers
Autocar India carried interior pictures. Maybe they were allowed inside. Posting their picture here.

Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.-nissan-sunny-india-interiors.jpg

The car as a whole looks very good IMHO. It has what Indians want, this car especially.

With regards to the name, contrary to your opinion on the Sunny resembling Bajaj's vehicle, that name is very famous in India. So launching a car with the same name is like taking advantage of it though it also means a lot to Nissan I believe.

Last edited by designersf : 5th August 2011 at 13:50.
designersf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 14:18   #81
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, it’s a decent car, if priced realistically. Good looks do not always translate into good sales (e.g.; Linea), and Dzire is an example of the opposite case. And it’s quite commendable that they did not just attach a boot to the Micra. The interior shot from ACI looks quite impressive for a car in this segment.

Regarding the name Sunny – Nissan have this brand name for decades. Maybe it was Bajaj who got inspired and picked the name. For that matter, even Pulsar is a brand name associated with Nissan
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 14:29   #82
BHPian

What is the service interval for Nissan Sunny?
What is the expected Ex-showroom price for Diesel ?
Old 5th August 2011, 14:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
IMHO, it’s a decent car, if priced realistically. Good looks do not always translate into good sales (e.g.; Linea), and Dzire is an example of the opposite case. And it’s quite commendable that they did not just attach a boot to the Micra. The interior shot from ACI looks quite impressive for a car in this segment.

Regarding the name Sunny – Nissan have this brand name for decades. Maybe it was Bajaj who got inspired and picked the name. For that matter, even Pulsar is a brand name associated with Nissan
+1 +1 to both your points. Interiors sport a darker finish rather than the greige on the Micra. The darkened interiors look solid and much better IMHO.

but then, Oh boy oh boy. Look what I found here -

After more than 30 mins on Nissan's Chinese site, I finally found the link to the Sunny's mini-site which IMHO looks fabulous.

NISSAN SUNNY CHINA

(btw, Sunny with 1.5L engine and CVT starts from an equivalent of INR 5,50,000 approx)

CHINESE BROCHURE IN THE ABOVE LINK. CHECK BELOW

Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.-nissan-sunny-china.jpg

Last edited by designersf : 5th August 2011 at 14:56.
designersf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 15:44   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Looks apart, there are many USPs for this Nissan.

1. Interior space is very good

2. Fuel efficiency

3. Nissans are known for their Japanese reliability

4. Pricing worldwide indicates it would greatly undercut verna, fiesta n likes.
I think the Etios is already prepared for all the above:

1. Interiors of Etios is not great but is so much roomy unlike the dzire/sx4 with glass area adding to the fun. The rear bench would take 3 average sized adults easily which i am not sure about the formers.

2. Fuel efficiency: Toyota is not known for highly FE cars like the MSIL but Etios is the beginning of an age of FE mills.

3. Reliability: No comments, as you all know.

4. The pricing of Etios has proved bang on by it spawning in the roads. If not for its petrol it would have been in my wish list.

Extra points for Toyota:

1. The dealership network is strong with an impeccable history of great ***. I myself have had a fantastic experience with my Corolla.

2. Perception: Toyota revolutionized the MUV market with its Qualis and since then stands tall in minds of common man.
Old 5th August 2011, 15:47   #85
MAS
Senior - BHPian

IMO, The Sunny looks good and is much better than the ugle Dzire and the confused Manza. The car has a tall stance (like the SX4) and hence the high boot. Any idea on the ground clearance?

The side profile looks strange, but will grow on us with time. Imagine, with a good wax polish the car will look like a mirror.

The interior is not as bad as being perceived. Yes, it looks bland, but the plastics do not look cheap. Like most of us have said, pricing is going to be the key. I don't think Sunny would be able to compete against the Dzire or Manza. I feel it would fall in between the Dzire types and the City types.

Last edited by MAS : 5th August 2011 at 15:49.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:13   #86
BANNED

Looks Fat! Whatever happenned to the low sleek designs that sedans sported? This just doesnot connect. No great personality..reminds me a lot of the Altis.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:25   #87
BHPian

Etios loyalist I see. If that is what you want from a car then its fine.

Quality overall is not the best (infact, reputed reviewers say Swift Dzire is better than the Etios in this respect) which you would agree and neither is the driving experience. I'm still not fully convinced about the long term (7+ years or so) reliability of the Etios. Otherwise, it is a good car for those who merely want ordinary transportation from A-B and nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogweelz View Post
I think the Etios is already prepared for all the above:

1. Interiors of Etios is not great but is so much roomy unlike the dzire/sx4 with glass area adding to the fun. The rear bench would take 3 average sized adults easily which i am not sure about the formers.

2. Fuel efficiency: Toyota is not known for highly FE cars like the MSIL but Etios is the beginning of an age of FE mills.

3. Reliability: No comments, as you all know.

4. The pricing of Etios has proved bang on by it spawning in the roads. If not for its petrol it would have been in my wish list.

Extra points for Toyota:

1. The dealership network is strong with an impeccable history of great ***. I myself have had a fantastic experience with my Corolla.

2. Perception: Toyota revolutionized the MUV market with its Qualis and since then stands tall in minds of common man.
Old 5th August 2011, 16:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

The Sunny looks so much like Maruti's Un-Dzire-able mid-size car (you know the one), but it will do well if priced well. It looks rubbish, but sadly Indian consumers in the lower price range don't really care about looks. If the car is practical, it will do well. And the Sunny seems practical, too much for my taste to be honest.

Now all that's left is pricing details. And I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only guy that thought of Bajaj's Sunny when they heard of this!
Old 5th August 2011, 21:22   #89
Senior - BHPian

Not many know about Nissan and neither have they tried to sell themselves, maybe this product launch will compel them.

Nissan testing India's choice of design. But they have always been like that. What worked for Micra the cute round design inside out might not work with a bigger car. It is not as cute as Micra nor as stylish like Altima/Teana.

I want Nissan to do well, we want them to bring GTR to our shores on the high
Old 5th August 2011, 21:42   #90
BHPian

I'm picking up Etios next week. Just wondering whether it would be worth waiting to get more details on Sunny. The lack of interior visibility is putting me off though. Also, Nissan never really struck a cord with me as much as Toyota !

A question for anyone who has an answer - Worldwide, is Nissan a name to reckon with, specially when compared with the likes of GM & Toyota?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks