Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 22:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
I'm picking up Etios next week. Just wondering whether it would be worth waiting to get more details on Sunny. The lack of interior visibility is putting me off though. Also, Nissan never really struck a cord with me as much as Toyota !

A question for anyone who has an answer - Worldwide, is Nissan a name to reckon with, specially when compared with the likes of GM & Toyota?

Yes.
Atleast in US Nissan makes better looking / performing mainstream cars than Toyota. The new gen Altima / Maxima is very good.
Old 5th August 2011, 22:32   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm picking up Etios next week. Just wondering whether it would be worth waiting to get more details on Sunny. The lack of interior visibility is putting me off though. Also, Nissan never really struck a cord with me as much as Toyota !

A question for anyone who has an answer - Worldwide, is Nissan a name to reckon with, specially when compared with the likes of GM & Toyota?
Well, if you have really liked the Etios and especially brand Toyota, my suggestion is to go with it. Sunny could be a good car, but at this point, it’s a bit of an unknown territory.

On the second question, Nissan is quite a popular brand worldwide. May not be a volume seller like Toyota, but definitely a name to reckon with.
Old 6th August 2011, 12:05   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Sunny looks funny.
When will these people learn the concept of designing with clean lines?
Look at Volkswagen, Chevy Cruze...they have clean lines. No clutter. No unwanted curves..for the sake of design.

-- Torqy
Sir, then what about the Swift (old/new) and the I20, or for that matter the Tata Indica V2/eV2? Do they come with "clean lines" and "unwanted curves"?!!! No offense meant. I presume you were stating your design preference.
Old 6th August 2011, 15:46   #94
BHPian

This car does not seem to have that 'BUY ME' appeal. Nothing Inspiring about it really! Looks more like a hotch potch of features from other cars. Was expecting something good from Nissan... this is pure HO HUM! I am yawning as i am typing already!!
Old 6th August 2011, 16:03   #95
BHPian

Today's Times of India has come up with a decent review of a US spec Sunny (Versa). If all they have said is true and the vehicle is priced right, I think we will have a winner here.

Crossing my fingers that all goes well with the features and the prices.

Am seriously thinking of waiting now till Sunny is released, else had my eyes pretty much set on the City or Linea.

Cheers
Old 6th August 2011, 17:20   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT2625 View Post
Sir, then what about the Swift (old/new) and the I20, or for that matter the Tata Indica V2/eV2? Do they come with "clean lines" and "unwanted curves"?!!! No offense meant. I presume you were stating your design preference.
I didn't mention them because this was a Sunny thread. I would tell the same in "their" threads too. Of course, i'm voicing my preferences.

When designers feel jobless, they smoke pot, take a good looking design and massacre it.

-- Torqy
Old 6th August 2011, 21:19   #97
hvs
BHPian

They will surely price it more than DZire & will ruin a good car.
What to say..... its a fools' paradise....
Old 7th August 2011, 12:57   #98
BHPian

Quote:

I suggest you wait till the Sunny is available. Maybe you can check it out and then take a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Not many know about Nissan and neither have they tried to sell themselves, maybe this product launch will compel them.

Nissan testing India's choice of design. But they have always been like that. What worked for Micra the cute round design inside out might not work with a bigger car. It is not as cute as Micra nor as stylish like Altima/Teana.

I want Nissan to do well, we want them to bring GTR to our shores on the high
The Sunny is inoffensive. Will not turn-off anyone.
Me too! GTR should make it here. It would rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs View Post
They will surely price it more than DZire & will ruin a good car.
What to say..... its a fools' paradise....
Sorry to interrupt but I don't understand why everybody compares this with a Dzire! The Dzire is as funny as it gets while this is a new design from scratch. The Sunny is longer than the Honda City and SX4. It's got a longer wheelbase than the Corolla Altis! For god's sake, please be rational in your comments.
Old 7th August 2011, 13:31   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Sorry to interrupt but I don't understand why everybody compares this with a Dzire! The Dzire is as funny as it gets while this is a new design from scratch. The Sunny is longer than the Honda City and SX4. It's got a longer wheelbase than the Corolla Altis! For god's sake, please be rational in your comments.
I completely agree there. I guess we’re getting a bit rude to Nissan by comparing the Sunny with the Dzire. IMHO, the Sunny follows similar lines of Sylphy and Teana. It maybe uninspiring, but its non-offensive as well. See all three cars together for a comparison:
Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.-nissan-sedans.jpg

Note: There is indeed a sedan from Nissan called Latio, which is quite Dzire-ish in looks. Here is a pic:
Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.-nissan-latio2.jpg

Pictures courtesy : Autocar India / Nissan Malaysia
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 14:03   #100
hvs
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
The question is not of its similarities/dissimilarities with DZire, but of the market segment it would be aimed at. The Micra was aimed at B+ hatch (Swift) segment but failed due to overpricing.
Now if Nissan are aiming at "Hatch + Boot = Sedan" market (DZire leads the pack), then they will surely have to price it right i.e. in the vicinity of DZire etc & not of Verna etc to make it a success. But they cant do so unless they realize that Micra is overpriced and reduce its price by at least 50,000/- to give ample room in pricing Sunny right......
......Wishful thinking.......
Moral of the story Nissan Sunny Diesel = 7 to 10 lacs = DUD
Old 7th August 2011, 20:05   #101
BHPian

Looks a bit quirky if not inoffensive.
+1 to hvs. Pricing seems to be spot on in the Dzire range if Nissan wants to garner some good volumes.
Old 7th August 2011, 21:21   #102
BHPian

Quote:
The question is not of its similarities/dissimilarities with DZire, but of the market segment it would be aimed at. The Micra was aimed at B+ hatch (Swift) segment but failed due to overpricing.
Now if Nissan are aiming at "Hatch + Boot = Sedan" market (DZire leads the pack), then they will surely have to price it right i.e. in the vicinity of DZire etc & not of Verna etc to make it a success. But they cant do so unless they realize that Micra is overpriced and reduce its price by at least 50,000/- to give ample room in pricing Sunny right......
That is what I wish to convey here - although they share the same platform, this car is all new. There doesn't seem to be as many common parts as the Swift-Dzire combo. So instead of looking at it like a hatch+boot car, who not look at it like an all new car. That's my question.

With regards to Micra, in-spite of it carrying an airbag as standard fitment and sporting the same amount of features, its base model (and every variant for that matter) is the same/lesser than the Swift. So do you say that as being overpriced?

Nissan Home

Price
Old 7th August 2011, 21:35   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Sunny, a Dzire competitor, I dont think so. Polo is a B+ hatchback too. It doesnt mean Vento a Polo with a boot should be priced alongside Dzire. Nissan Micra is not doing great numbers not just because of price but also because of very limited dealership network, A.S.S being an unknown territory and there could be other reasons too.

Nissan is a good brand. So, I reckon a Vento like pricing for Sunny. To say that Sunny would be a dud if priced between 7 - 10L is premature. Sunny diesel top end for 10L OTR sure seems possible as the size of the car and engine displacement should be well comparable with the likes of other C-segment cars.
Old 7th August 2011, 22:30   #104
BHPian

This is a very decent car guys. I got a drive in this car (I didn't drive) when I was in the Middle East (Saudi Arabia). The Interior space is great and that for the rear seat passengers is again very good. It is also very smooth and noiseless.
Old 7th August 2011, 23:40   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest waiting and taking a test drive of both before you put your money down. I feel the Sunny is one promising car. and it wouldn't hurt to take a closer look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I completely agree there. I guess we’re getting a bit rude to Nissan by comparing the Sunny with the Dzire. IMHO, the Sunny follows similar lines of Sylphy and Teana.
Yes you can clearly see the same design philosophy is used.
From the swept back headlights to the tail lights.
It is not a cut and paste job.
But one which has been designed with a purpose in mind, and that is to liberate as much interior space as possible.
Ofcourse the car does look squashed a little bit, but that's because it's a much smaller car than the Teanna.
IMHO it's an unoffensive and very practical design.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks