Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2011, 02:50   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

Totally agree with mdsaab here. It looks like a promising car.
Just hope Nissan prices it realistically.
It doesn't seem to have the charm of Fluidc's looks. Unlikely to be as much of a driver's car as the NFF or even the Vento. Fiat anyway seems to be dying :(

What should go this car's way is it being spacious enough, reliable enough, with some appeal to one's heart (well, a lot more than the Etios, Manza and Dzire) to make one plonk more. It could be a very practical car, with some appeal.

Given that, it should be priced somewhere between Etios/Dzire/Manza and Verna/NFF/Vento. Probably a bit on the lower side. It should do well.

Eagerly waiting to see how this one does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_srini View Post
I'm picking up Etios next week. Just wondering whether it would be worth waiting to get more details on Sunny. The lack of interior visibility is putting me off though. Also, Nissan never really struck a cord with me as much as Toyota !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I would suggest waiting and taking a test drive of both before you put your money down. I feel the Sunny is one promising car. and it wouldn't hurt to take a closer look.
@Raj, I have been resisting posting on this issue (you may know why). You have waited for a fair bit of time. IIRC, you aren't in a big rush either. This car may suit you a lot, from the little we know about it. Practical with some heart appeal as well. Only significant issue may be rear headroom, which isn't at all a priority (IIRC from your thread).

Edit: I hope Nissan doesn't do a Ford on us, by prolonging the sales of the vehicle forever. *fingers crossed* and then come out with a disappointing price.

Last edited by Poitive : 8th August 2011 at 02:54.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 11:16   #107
BHPian

I quite like the Sunny and it will make a good entry level sedan in India. But...
How does Nissan convince the Indian junta to put its hard earned 7-8 lac rupees on its Sunny and not on a DZire, SX4, Verna or a City? Its been almost two years (IIRC) since the Micra, but I do not see any new Nissan service centers around. How will Nissan convince people to buy its products when most of us do not even see its badge (whether on an A. S. S station or a car) on our daily commutes?

IMO Nissan first needs to find an answer to change the still heavily prevelant Indian psyche of "I will buy any car as long as it is a Maruti-Suzuki." (And I am not joking on this one, I have heard many colleagues and friends voice a similar attitude).

Also, Nissan should keep in mind that what works in China may not necessarily work here in India. Contrary to India, Nissan is an established brand there (China). Our only experience with Nissan so far (before the Teana and Micra were inrtroduced) had been the Patrol (Jonga) .

I really wish Nissan succeeds in India and for that it needs to do its homework properly. The product — the Sunny — is quite in place and appropiate. But as we all know, there are numerous other variables that contribute to a product's success.
Gooney is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 12:44   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
I quite like the Sunny and it will make a good entry level sedan in India. But...
How does Nissan convince the Indian junta to put its hard earned 7-8 lac rupees on its Sunny and not on a DZire, SX4, Verna or a City? Its been almost two years (IIRC) since the Micra, but I do not see any new Nissan service centers around. How will Nissan convince people to buy its products when most of us do not even see its badge (whether on an A. S. S station or a car) on our daily commutes?

IMO Nissan first needs to find an answer to change the still heavily prevelant Indian psyche of "I will buy any car as long as it is a Maruti-Suzuki." (And I am not joking on this one, I have heard many colleagues and friends voice a similar attitude).

Also, Nissan should keep in mind that what works in China may not necessarily work here in India. Contrary to India, Nissan is an established brand there (China). Our only experience with Nissan so far (before the Teana and Micra were inrtroduced) had been the Patrol (Jonga) .

I really wish Nissan succeeds in India and for that it needs to do its homework properly. The product — the Sunny — is quite in place and appropiate. But as we all know, there are numerous other variables that contribute to a product's success.
Firstly I am sure Nissan is in no mood of making the Sunny a entry level Sedan on the lines of Dzire. Micra is in fact much more expensive than the Swift so one cant expect the Sunny to be in that same bracket. Also Micra has completed 1 year & not 2 as stated by you.
Convincing people is going to be really tough, MS does a lot of marketing & brand promotions so that they always remain the 1st recall when it comes to a car. Its never going to be easy for a new comer like Nissan who does not make much noise in the media & thus makes recall tough. I completely agree that people have an almost blind faith in Maruti (which is now being closely contested by VW also, at least in my office) .
What Nissan needs to do:
1. Be 100% sure that they are here to stay & for good. This is very important since Financials Decisions will be faster & smoother
2. Invest some good amount of money & look at it for a long term point of view
3. Ensure they hire some good creative agency & make their campaigns a great success
4. Start a Micra cup on lines of the Polo cup & let ppl see Micra on the track
5. Plonk a bigger petrol engine & make the Micra it a hot hatch.
6. Spread awareness about Nissan's heritage and the kind of cars it makes, especially the achievements of the GTR.
7. Fire Ranbir Kapoor, don't feel he's making any difference to the brand.

These are strictly my views only...
Old 8th August 2011, 13:05   #109
Senior - BHPian

Since Nissan and Renault have partnered up.
Why not open joint service and sales outlets?
This will set them way ahead of schedule. and we can see more dealerships springing up soon. As a investor, I would like to have the portfolio of two brands rather than one. So it will be quite a great move if they do something like this.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:59   #110
BHPian

Stratos - great pictures. I liked the design of the car. Looks very spacious, I feel some of the design elements are borrowed from Nissan TEANA. From the look of the car the cabin space looks good and could be class leading. I wish you got the pics of the interiors also.. Micra interiors are a letdown. I hope not with this car. I am waiting for the prices to be announced. If priced rightly and dealer network expanded this car should exceed all expectations.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:59   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Firstly I am sure Nissan is in no mood of making the Sunny a entry level Sedan on the lines of Dzire. Micra is in fact much more expensive than the Swift so one cant expect the Sunny to be in that same bracket. Also Micra has completed 1 year & not 2 as stated by you.
Convincing people is going to be really tough, MS does a lot of marketing & brand promotions so that they always remain the 1st recall when it comes to a car. Its never going to be easy for a new comer like Nissan who does not make much noise in the media & thus makes recall tough. I completely agree that people have an almost blind faith in Maruti (which is now being closely contested by VW also, at least in my office) .
What Nissan needs to do:
1. Be 100% sure that they are here to stay & for good. This is very important since Financials Decisions will be faster & smoother
2. Invest some good amount of money & look at it for a long term point of view
3. Ensure they hire some good creative agency & make their campaigns a great success
4. Start a Micra cup on lines of the Polo cup & let ppl see Micra on the track
5. Plonk a bigger petrol engine & make the Micra it a hot hatch.
6. Spread awareness about Nissan's heritage and the kind of cars it makes, especially the achievements of the GTR.
7. Fire Ranbir Kapoor, don't feel he's making any difference to the brand.

These are strictly my views only...
Let me clarify - opinions can be opinions, no doubt but facts remain facts.

Micra is not more expensive than Swift as you have wrongly pointed out. Pls check my post in the previous page. Excerpts pasted below for your information.

"With regards to Micra, in-spite of it carrying an airbag as standard fitment and sporting the same amount of features, its base model (and every variant for that matter) is the same/lesser than the Swift. So do you say that as being overpriced?

Nissan Home

Price"
Old 8th August 2011, 17:18   #112
Senior - BHPian

DZire = Swift + Boot.
No design changes, no engine changes, everything is the same except the U G L Y boot.
Sunny is NOT Micra + boot.
It is a new design, looks like a proper sedan, is much bigger than a DZire, much longer wheelbase, more space, more powerful engines etc etc.
So, it is quite foolish to expect a DZire like pricing for Sunny.
I am pretty sure the Sunny will be priced a tad below Vento/City but higher than DZire and that will be appropriate IMHO.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 17:46   #113

Looks more like the swift Dzire in terms of styling, but build quality should be good considering its a Nissan.
Old 8th August 2011, 17:52   #114
BHPian

Nissan Sunny is in the league of Toyota Corolla/ Mitsu-Lancer/Ford Focus, Mazda3/ Chevy Optra&Cruze.

In GCC market Nissan Sunny comes in 1.6/1.8 L Gasoline Engine.

Suzuki's SX4 can be compared with Sunny still SX4 has small foot print while comparing to Nissan Sunny.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:39   #115
BHPian

The Nissan Sunny looks bulky and ugly. I think the Dzire looks a lot better than this car. The interiors are also boring. I would definitely pick the Dzire if I was shopping for a new sedan. Unimpressive!!!
Old 8th August 2011, 23:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
DZire = Swift + Boot.
No design changes, no engine changes, everything is the same except the U G L Y boot.
Sunny is NOT Micra + boot.
It is a new design, looks like a proper sedan, is much bigger than a DZire, much longer wheelbase, more space, more powerful engines etc etc.
So, it is quite foolish to expect a DZire like pricing for Sunny.
I am pretty sure the Sunny will be priced a tad below Vento/City but higher than DZire and that will be appropriate IMHO.
+1

I, for one, like the looks of Sunny. I love understated designs and am not a big fan of so the called fluidic design. Fast forward 5-10 years, IMO these fluidic designs may just stand out like sore thumbs on road if companies decide to move on with design!

The Sunny looks way better than Dzire to my eyes. There is just no comparison with Dzire. It will probably be priced between the Dzire and City segments and may just do well. Look at our market, it has some stunning models in the city segment - City, Vento, Verna, Fiesta et all. And look at the segment below it - outright ugly cars like Dzire, Logan etc. There sure is a lot of room in between these two segments and Nissan should target it.

Last edited by SunilM : 8th August 2011 at 23:04.
SunilM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 16:20   #117
BHPian

Its a decent looking car.
Would not be a head turner, no one will go ho ha over you owning one of this.
But looks very stable and robust in lines of SX4.
Hope it is spacious enough and serves the purpose.
I don't think NISSAN will price it lesser than SX4.
It will definitely be a 10lakh car.
If it is sold for anything lesser, Nissan will loose its value like the Toyota did with IDIOTOS (aka Etios)
They have a long way to go in Indian market in terms of reliability, but i don't think it will be a problem to handle the "easy customers of India"
"In terms of customer satisfaction India must be ranking the least expecting country for the money they spend." - No wonder its an investors paradise. No one can disagree on it.

Looking forward to see this car live, may be do a test drive.
Hope it does not let me down like the Micra which gives a Santro drive feel, not even a Getz feel for it was supposed to compete with Swift.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:13   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

"Nissan will not strap the Indian Sunny with the 1.6 petrol. They instead are introducing a new 1.5 paired to an MT. The petrol variants will precede the diesel. The latter’s under-hood elements come off the Micra and is also found under the hood of the Fluence. At least two variants of the Nissan Sunny (XL and XV) will have AC vents for rear passengers."

Nissan Sunny interiors/walk around - Videos
Old 9th August 2011, 18:23   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

A peek into the Sunny:

Exteriors -

Interiors -

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2011, 18:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

What is with cars now a days in this segment ( entry level sedan I guess). Etios, Dzire, Manza and now Sunny has below par interior quality/design. But decent amount of space. (save the Dzire).
Since it is on the same platform as Micra, the Handling is expected to be bad. The interiors look horrible. (I hate the design on Micra). And as stated the pannel gaps are another -ve. Add to that the lack of network. Why the hell would I go for this car specially when there are awesome cars in the segment. (Fiesta classic, Manza, Verito, Dzire & Etios).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks