Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 21:33   #136
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Finally I too caught a glimpse of Nissan Sunny. Appearance is big. The whole cockpit had monotonous black. To my surprise I caught one in Kalyan.
Guess it was a base model (silver color) as the steering wheel was missing audio controls though had chrome Nissan logo
Nice catch nomadabhi!

How did it look in person? Is the back odd as being speculated? Any similarity to Dzire or looks better?
Old 10th August 2011, 22:39   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I think you are right, the other day i did a search for the Nissan Sunny.
Another model popped up. and now today when i browsed to re-check i realised that it was the older Sunny which was launched in 2005.
and in some countries like USA it's known as the Versa sedan.

Something interesting i found in the bargain though is that there is a Versa Hatch too. and this does not look at all like the Micra.
Versa is totally different when compared to Micra. Its BIG by hatch standards. I'd say the legroom is much better than say a Fiesta or a Verna (not Fluidic as I haven't seen it).
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 08:45   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Nice catch nomadabhi!

How did it look in person? Is the back odd as being speculated? Any similarity to Dzire or looks better?
The first impression, HUGE. Looks bulky as you can see the front. Hood is high as is the back. Not as bad as Dzire where the lines are too prominent. Sunny got a boot lines somewhere between a BMW7 and Dzire.

So considering odd looks, if market has digested Dzire boot then so called odd back of Sunny would be welcomed as well.

It was dark (night time) which added to interiors to apprear more dark (monotonous).

The steering wheel as said, seems to be a direct fit from Micra which do not do justice to the car size and appeared cheap (though the chrome logo helped to give it a stand)
Old 13th August 2011, 22:05   #139
Senior - BHPian

Was just looking at some pics of the Nissan Sunny.
I feel the design is not too bad.
It's just the rear which needs to be re-worked to make it more attractive.
If you cover the roof of the car you can see the proportions of the car are spot on and quite attractive.
If they re-design the roof and boot they can transform it into a much better design.
But i don't blame the Nissan designers. I guess they were following a design language.
That's why the tail lights have a twist of Teanna in them.
The Sunny abroad is quite loaded with...
Touch screen navigation system.
Cruise control.
Bluetooth etc.
Will interesting to see how Nissan specs it out for India.
Which along with the price will give us a clear indication as to which segment Nissan is targetting.

Last edited by mdsaab : 13th August 2011 at 22:06.
Old 14th August 2011, 11:46   #140

It does look big, but interiors look cheap. With options like etios and dzire available in same segment, I wonder whether this will do any good for Nissan. AFAIK, Micra is not minting gold for them either.
Old 14th August 2011, 22:25   #141
BHPian

I have been inactive from quite some time so thought of breaking my silence in this thread. Agreed, Nissan Sunny/Versa is not a handsome looking car, does not have any curves & bold lines but comparing it with Dezire will be complete injustice to this car. Following is a short video review of the Versa and I hope it will change perception of many:

ajaynaphade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 04:00   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
...i realised that it was the older Sunny which was launched in 2005. and in some countries like USA it's known as the Versa sedan.
Attachment 591338
Versa is not the older Sunny. I some markets, it could have replaced Sunny. Versa / Tiida / Latio is a completely different car. Though the roots may still lead to the same platform. As per the link below pretty much everything small and medium from Nissan and Renault seems to be based on their B-Platform:
Nissan B platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of Sunny :
Nissan Sunny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Driven the previous generation Sunny quite a bit. It drives well and the steering is direct. The gear shits are smooth and the handling decent. It is also pretty spacious and unfortunately looks better than the latest one (IMHO). The 1.6P has good low end torque. It is also a favourite with all the driving schools.

The Tiida on the other hand is a very different car. It is extremely spacious. I've always found it way more spacious than Corolla and Civic!!! However, it handles very very badly. The steering is super light and feels artificial. There is also severe body roll being a tall car. The automatic transmission (probably CVT) is miserable and rough.

The Sunny though considerably cheaper, feels better put together.

Last edited by sushanthr77 : 15th August 2011 at 04:07.
sushanthr77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 08:13   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Versa is not the older Sunny. I some markets, it could have replaced Sunny. Versa / Tiida / Latio is a completely different car. Though the roots may still lead to the same platform. As per the link below pretty much everything small and medium from Nissan and Renault seems to be based on their B-Platform:
Nissan B platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of Sunny :
Nissan Sunny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Driven the previous generation Sunny quite a bit. It drives well and the steering is direct. The gear shits are smooth and the handling decent. It is also pretty spacious and unfortunately looks better than the latest one (IMHO). The 1.6P has good low end torque. It is also a favourite with all the driving schools.

The Tiida on the other hand is a very different car. It is extremely spacious. I've always found it way more spacious than Corolla and Civic!!! However, it handles very very badly. The steering is super light and feels artificial. There is also severe body roll being a tall car. The automatic transmission (probably CVT) is miserable and rough.

The Sunny though considerably cheaper, feels better put together.
Sorry my earlier post was squeezed up and hence ended up looking wrong.
What i meant was, that i had done a search earlier and the Older Nissan sunny of 2005 popped up.
And regarding this new Sunny which is coming to India, it is also known as the Versa in the US of A.

But thanks for your impression on the old 2005 Nissan Sunny.
I do hope the one coming to India will be fun behind the wheel.
I think Nissan needs that, as right not people find their Indian vehicles rather dull to drive, barring the Z ofcourse.
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:32   #144
Senior - BHPian

i saw a white car - with the logos and identification tags masked on the street yday. It looked really nice and the guy appeared to be comfortably cruising.
It seems to have good proportions and did not look difficult to squeeze through indian traffic. Looks like Nissan has got something right again.
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:54   #145
BHPian

Got this one from facebook

Last edited by designersf : 23rd August 2011 at 21:56.
designersf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 16:13   #146
Team-BHP Support

I was watching the NDTV Car & Bike show online. According to them, the October release of the Sunny will have the 1.5L petrol option only, and the diesels will roll in 2012.
Old 27th August 2011, 16:37   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I was watching the NDTV Car & Bike show online. According to them, the October release of the Sunny will have the 1.5L petrol option only, and the diesels will roll in 2012.
Yes, you are right the Petrol will be offered initially, that too a 1.5L 107.5bhp mill, unlike a detuned version of 1.6L 109bhp of the same available in US. Here is the report:

Nissan Sunny review, test drive Review

Though the car is one of the most spacious entry sedans, has balanced ride & handling capabilities, but, there is not much punch in midrange & the engine gets bit vocal around the top end.
Old 27th August 2011, 21:44   #148
BHPian

Seems very promising going by the ACI review. Why cant they launch it with diesel? Is Nissan unaware that petrol models are not selling well in the Indian market?
Old 28th August 2011, 10:08   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Seems very promising going by the ACI review. Why cant they launch it with diesel? Is Nissan unaware that petrol models are not selling well in the Indian market?
This tactic of launching the diesel model later is being followed by some other manufacturers too,and also even for individual models mostly its the petrol launched first and then later the diesel,even when manufacturers know that there is a larger demand for the diesel.

I think they do this because they think if they put all the cards on the table it will be risky,because if the market does not take to favorably to the model,they have an ace up the sleeve with the diesel,which can get the attention of the consumer back again at a later date!

Car manufacturers i tell you,fed up their tom foolery these days,"revealing exteriors" first,"revealing" interiors next,then "see the car but no test drive","test drive but cant tell price"!!

If anyone is the market to buy a car,most can make their decisions and keep postponing them for that rumored diesel,the unveiling of the prices and so on.

Last edited by avishar : 28th August 2011 at 10:09.
Old 28th August 2011, 14:35   #150
Senior - BHPian

Today half hour back saw a Black Nissan Sunny undisguised and caught it on my N8.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Sunny unveiled for the the Indian mid-size market.-280820111093-copy.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks