Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2006, 04:47   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
It was totally ridiculous behaviour from police man. this *&^*&#^ should be fired immediately. well, this is fact of life our police is totally useless and they really need lesson in public service!

Once my friend went to a police station to complain about an accident. Some one hit his car and ran away. The police man had asked "You are so young. Why cant you chase that car and catch".

!!!!!!!!
Old 26th February 2006, 09:15   #47
BHPian

Dude the city cops are most unreliable and unhelpful ! i was stranded on my way back from work my battery had died out , i drive a foreign import . at 2 in the morning when i tried to stop a few cars to help me jump start my baby a police van came and stopped by all that they said in marathi was kid will get the car fixed by morn he can wait! all i needed was connect the jumper cable to the vans battery and i'd be fine ! i guess they had no idea where the van battery was ! Thanx to a Tata Sumo driver from some call centre who was willing to help ! Guess the city Police need to be more sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser
Once my friend went to a police station to complain about an accident. Some one hit his car and ran away. The police man had asked "You are so young. Why cant you chase that car and catch".

!!!!!!!!
Old 26th February 2006, 14:33   #48
BHPian

Why not ?!

Good to see this topic..
Well,WHY NOT??..our 1-2 hours is NOTHING compared to the lakhs and lakhs of hours the accident victim has still left ahead of him..
There is no such law as which states that we will be put in jail if we help someone in distress/trouble.
It's just plain pointless to wait for police/ambulance,especially if the accident is in some peak traffic time busy city area..just don't think about anything,and go ahead and help out the person.Who knows - maybe you'll be in the same situation tomorrow,and I don't think you'll like to see people all around you seeing you die..they are anyways wasting their time seeing you there,and watching the tamasha..instead,had some of them put that crucial 1 hour just to take you to hospital,it's like they're GOD,since they've given a new life to someone.
Don't worry about police harassment..as long as you know you've done a good deed,nothing will happen.The cops are also human..they know you've done something good,which has surely brought a smile to many around.
If I'm not mistaken,maybe 1-2 years back,I had seen Advertisements on many days by Police/Traffic Dept. in TOI on helping out accident victims,and there will be NO police or Court harassments later on..
Now-a-days,I don't think they are giving such ads in any papers.
Also - I would strongly suggest Team BHPians in Mumbai to subscribe to TopsLine Emergency Response Service,who guarantee to arrive at the accident spot spot in 9 minutes after calling them on their exclusive emergency 24 hour number..I have subscirbed to it.Yearly charges are Rs1200,and if you're a WIAA member,it's Rs900/year.
Even Rs1200/year comes to spending less than a cup of Chai a day for safety/emergency service !..

-sr
Old 27th February 2006, 13:08   #49
BHPian

I've had good and bad experiences with the cops w.r.t. accidents. I tend to remember the good ones and all can say that their advice has helped me when I needed it. Don’t want to mention the bad ones, but generally speaking, if one does speaks politely and patiently (sometimes taking the initial flack which these guys give by principal), I have observed that most of the guys will either help u or tell u how to get out of that situation.
Cant blame those guys man, they get paid frekig peanuts, and when they see guys like us driving around in cars its but natural for them to envy us, because they would want their kids to be in our places.
We, although, are not to be blamed for their distress, but often get victimized and accidents is just one way they can earn those extra bucks they need for their manikchands.
Everyone wants to lead a normal life, and no one wants panga. Hence no one helps. "Kal subah office jana hai yaar, kither iski maddat karta hai, chal ghar jate hai, apun ko kya karne ka hai". "Chal nikal lete hai". Face of modern India eh?
The best way to counter these things to set up emergency cells within the city, with some independent funding. If we don’t want to get our hands dirty, atleast lets help those who do.
But hey who is listening....

Last edited by RacingForIndia : 27th February 2006 at 13:09.
Old 27th February 2006, 16:20   #50

I want to share an incident, I was driving with my friends from ambala to delhi on NH1, some 5-6 yrs back that was the time it was getting into 4-lane, n due to the diversions, Infront of my eyes a car slammed into the diversion, ppl on the fromt seat died but the backseat were still alive. and that was a 'doli' carrying newly wed couple. i've not seen that much blood in my life. hope i dont see it again.. one of us stayed thr and started calling relatives and me n other friend rushed to AIMS with two still alive of them on back seat, we caught an ambulance from panipat as they would have died by the time we would have reached.. both were saved.. that family still calls occasionaly to thank.
I'll say whatever trouble you get into, it is still worth saving a life.
Old 27th February 2006, 17:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY_Name_Is_Neo
I'll say whatever trouble you get into, it is still worth saving a life.
Vey true words. Shall remember them.
Unless i'm involved in it directly and have my own life to protect at the hands of the mob.
Old 28th February 2006, 22:39   #52
DRC
BHPian

A very sensible question in deed!
Let us see on a practical side..
My personal take is, I will spend a little while to asses whether the need for help is guinine. There are instances which I had helped save lifes
1996 when I witnessed a collission like which killed 13 on the spot, I did not even have a car (I was riding a moped) I did my best at that time.

And an other instant, when I had bought my first car and driving to mysore. I happened to see a guy, I am not sure if he was alive, but lying on the road side aooearantly drunken, with his head on the road (Bangalore Mysore highway). I missed running over his head by whiskers. I in fact mistook that head for a stone on the road side untill I was close.

I thought at that moment, helping in this case would only get me into troubles.
Old 28th February 2006, 22:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would strongly suggest Team BHPians in Mumbai to subscribe to TopsLine Emergency Response Service,who guarantee to arrive at the accident spot spot in 9 minutes after calling them on their exclusive emergency 24 hour number
I called up these guys wanting to subscribe to their emergency response services. A month later I was still waiting for someone to come and do the paperwork, take the money and register me! One fine day I got a call from a rep asking me for an appointment so his rep could come over and do the registeration formalities. Think about it, a customer takes the initiative to call them and avail of their services and they take over a month to collect money from someone. How can you trust Topsline to come to you within 9 minutes on the road to help you?
Old 28th February 2006, 23:18   #54
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I called up these guys wanting to subscribe to their emergency response services. A month later I was still waiting for someone to come and do the paperwork, take the money and register me! One fine day I got a call from a rep asking me for an appointment so his rep could come over and do the registeration formalities. Think about it, a customer takes the initiative to call them and avail of their services and they take over a month to collect money from someone. How can you trust Topsline to come to you within 9 minutes on the road to help you?
why not call their emergency number and check out how they react ?

don't forget to let us all know about the outcome.
Old 1st March 2006, 00:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why not call their emergency number and check out how they react ?
Max, I didn't register for the service.

Last edited by amit : 1st March 2006 at 00:35.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:36   #56
Senior - BHPian

My sister and brother in law were in a similar situation recently. They did help an accident victim lying unattended on road (Gurgaon-Faridabad road). Although the car seats did get dirty and all, the satisfaction of saving someone's life was great, according to them.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:22   #57
BHPian

The guy at my driving school once told me that he was going on his jeep when he saw a accident involving some other vehicles. He stopped and quickly drove the guy who was injured to the hospital. When the police came for inquiry the guy told that it was the driving school guy who had hit him. He had to pay a fine of around 2000 in court.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:28   #58
BHPian

Let me tell you a different experience. I was on the receiving side this time.

Few months back I met with an accident. It was a weird experience but almost everyone in the road came to my help.

The road was full of smoke, thanks to the mosquito repellent smoke emitted by the corporation vehicle which just passed ahead of me.

To add to this some guy had placed a 2 feet high concrete block in front of a newly built manhole, thinking that it will prevent people from running over the manhole and let it the concrete set.

I was blinded by the smoke and hit the concrete block at 50kmph. I suffered air cracks in my fingers, and one inch deep bruises in the lefft shoulder. Due to the intense strain at the time of accident, I had no strength in my elbow for a week. It took me 3 months to recover from those injuries.

I thank those guys who helped me out. I had no idea about the whereabouts of my bike after the accident. My dad went to the spot the next day and a nearby watchman had safely kept my Bajaj Pulsar and gave it back to my father.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:35   #59
BHPian

Me and my wife were in such situation many a times as we travel a lot by night over the highways. For instance (the latest) once a full family of 5 in a OMNI was hit by a bus minutes before we arrived. The bus stopped, OMNI was upside down.As soon as we stopped all the people of the bus fled away by the bus. It was midnight near burdwan on the NH2.
We went and found the owner was hanging upside down as his feet were stuck under the pedals. The lady was severely injured and bleeding. The daughter was having broken bone and was fainting. There were other two men who were just bruised.
There were only me and my wife who was pregnant. I tried to stop several cars/trucks/buses but nobody even slowed down. Then after one hour of real hard work I got them out stuffed them in my dzire and took them to Shaktigarh health center. Police came took my statement and to my surprise didn't harrass at all but appreciated my attitude.
They asked me to guide them to the place of incident and then we left. In whole process I lost 4 hours. But after 2 weeks or so the lady called me and thanked me and me and my wife both felt something that I cann't explain. They all are doing fine now.
I saw many incidents when too many people just stand around to see the people die and then accuse the government or police or do the strike road block or something in protest. I either reaced later or in certain cases I was on my bike so couldn't be of much help either.
I am grown up in a doctor's family and my dad always stopped treated if he could or carried the victim to the nearest hospital and sometime he made us wait somewhere until he is back and he never had any problem either from public or administration. In certain cases when the patient died he had to appear in the court as the first treating doctor and we always felt proud about our dad.
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share that in certain cases helping makes a lot of difference and it is not always that hard.
My opinion based on my experiences.
sinhsha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2008, 16:45   #60
Senior - BHPian

Will Surely help people...earlier too have been in such situation and did whatever was possible for me..

Most Viewed