Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 16:50   #61
BHPian

+1. I will come out and do what I can.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar incident on NH12, about 25km short of Tonk previous weekend.

Saw a biker getting hit by a truck, flying up into the air, and landing almost on his head. Being a typical Rajasthani village hero he ofcourse didnt have a helmet (sorry but the innumerable suicidal idiots I saw outnumber my sensible rajasthani friends by miles).

I thought he is dead. Stopped car just ahead of him - then another RJ26 innova stopped by. They were locals, and said that they knew where to do/where to take him. Thankfully he seemed conscious and not THAT hurt, though bike was shambles.

From now on, I am keeping a mini rug in the boot for the same. Doesn't hurt - can be used for lotsa other things and can help. Any long drive sees multiple accident sites, even though i've rarely seen it live like this case.
Old 18th December 2008, 20:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

once i was on my way out of cochin near the outskirts in my dads camry with the driver there was a sharp corner which is a blind one(most kerala roads have blind corners) two drunk buggers were coming on the opposite side of the road w/o helmets and were pretty fast.. the came into the corner at a very high speed on a wet road(it was raining)
we were appox around 10-20kmph the mobike skidded on the corner the slipped,fell and their bike banged into the rear bumper(on the side in the gap b/w the rear tyre and the bumper) and our bumper slightly came out.They were not that hurt 1 guy was bleeding a bit but he stood up and walked to the nearby tea shop and people gathered.All of a sudden the people around us started blaming us .. saying the people in the white car were at a very high speed.. i was like they wanted us to pay the two guys for their damage.. nd i was like so he can have another peg and go to sleep?
for our luck there was a cop who was off duty and saw the incident happen live he told the people that we were not at all at fault and if we wanted we could charge the two guys on the mobike for drunken and rash driving.. we were satisfied.. we quickly fixed the bumper(in the camry the bumper is plastic and kinda hinged on the body)
a light scratch (which was removed by some rubbing polish Later) and we drove away!!

OT my ans is sometimes no sometimes yes.. who knows it might be a trick being played by bandits or something.
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I so want to but.. the laws, police and sometimes the victims themselves don't recognize the importance of your actions and you become the accused.
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps the best help could be call to the police ASAP...

but its really quite dangerous these days to reach out to somebody to help in case of an accident or something. I would be inclined to help if some accident happens in front of my eyes. But if somebody is lying injured or something then its another thing. I would be suspicious. Best thing in this case could be call police.
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:00   #66
BHPian

I would - no question. Perhaps dangerous but I'll take my chances if the situation looks genuine
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Yeah ofcourse.

We've done it twice and have had no issues with the law.

Infact in one of the cases an Indigo crashed on NH63 just a min before we reached the spot. A husband, wife and kid were trapped in the car.

While the 2 survived with minor physical injuries, their kid who was around 10 years or so didn't make it (prob died due to internal bleeding or sudden impact as there wasn't even a spot of blood on his body). We drove the women to the nearest hospital, submited our details and carried on with our journey. Poor woman was in so much shock, she hadn't even realised her son had passed away.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:29   #68
abk
BHPian

For me i think it will be dependant on the circumstances. I have helped 2 people in the past. Both accidents happened in the broad day light. One in gurgaon sector 17 and the other in noida. Just helped in pulling them up and putting them on rickshaw to the hospital. And attempted to set certain amount of order & sensibility around the incident in order to prevent the ugliness of chaos and mob fury hijacking the scenes.

However, if it were to happen in the middle of the night especially on deserted roads, I will trust my instincts. If i get a feeling that it could be a con i would drive away. Frankly speaking the hassles of cops and potential trips to the police station would not be a deterrent for me. But eventually I would trust my instinct more than prediction / prejudice at this point of time.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:41   #69
BHPian

Who so ever he/she is will definitely help..
Old 10th May 2011, 12:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: Somebody is lying unconscious after an accident on road: Would you help?

An incident which happened yesterday:
While returning from work, I noticed a big crowd immediately after the Nal Stop signal towards Kothrud. For those acquainted with the area, there is a street coming form Hotel Nisarg that joins Karve Road here. There was a motionless woman lying face down on the road, and there were numerous people around her. A couple of them making phone calls. There was no helmet around. I stopped the vehicle and then I saw blood around her shoulders.
Unfortunately, I just froze there and could not do anything; this is the first time I have seen a road accident with someone else bleeding.

I was not really aware or able to help; I did not even know if it was safe to move the victim as it could have been a severe injury. I just started my bike and scooted off over the flyover to inform the cops (there is a police station there). The cops I spoke to were alert and zoomed off on their bike to the accident spot.
I considered and reconsidered following them there, but for some unexplainable reason could not do it. I dont know how I could have helped further. I expect some harsh comments for my behaviour too, but at that time this was the best that I could do. As hindsight is always wiser and more indicative, can someone point out what can be done in such cases? It would definitely help people like me to be of some better use in such situations (God forbid this happens to anyone)

I hope the lady is safe and recovering; I do owe her an apology for not being able to do anything more.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 12:25   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
An incident which happened yesterday:
While returning from work, I noticed a big crowd immediately after the Nal Stop signal towards Kothrud. For those acquainted with the area, there is a street coming form Hotel Nisarg that joins Karve Road here. There was a motionless woman lying face down on the road, and there were numerous people around her. A couple of them making phone calls. There was no helmet around. I stopped the vehicle and then I saw blood around her shoulders.
Unfortunately, I just froze there and could not do anything; this is the first time I have seen a road accident with someone else bleeding.
I have never been in such a situation but I can imagine the feeling. Sometimes it is not that you do not want to do something but you really do not know what to do. These situations are encountered out of surprise and many people do not know how to react. I do not even know the basic emergency numbers - ambulance, police etc ( pardon my ignorance but this was just an honest confession)
Old 10th May 2011, 12:35   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I have never been in such a situation but I can imagine the feeling. Sometimes it is not that you do not want to do something but you really do not know what to do. These situations are encountered out of surprise and many people do not know how to react. I do not even know the basic emergency numbers - ambulance, police etc ( pardon my ignorance but this was just an honest confession)
I hope such situations never arise at all. I stopped thinking it would be an orthopaedic problem with maybe a fracture or so and a couple of us could help get her to the hospital. I have been in a couple of accidents where I have either broken a knee or twisted an ankle (both my own).

I guess I just froze when I saw her motionless and blood around. At that instant, I just went blank. What is deplorable is that she perhaps needed more assistance than if she had injured/ broken a limb and I could only think of things I could have done later at night or this morning. I did not even check my mobile for saved emergency numbers, could only get to the cops and stammer it out to them. I only hope some information from guys here will give me the requisite strength to be better prepared and more aware/ alert if there is ever such a situation that I witness.

My respect for all those good samaritans on the street has risen exponentially after this.

Last edited by selfdrive : 10th May 2011 at 12:37.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I so want to but.. the laws, police and sometimes the victims themselves don't recognize the importance of your actions and you become the accused.

Thats what I get scared of, And the cops here are known to find ways to make you empty your pockets.
Just as I was reading another Bhpian had to pay Rs 30,000 to get his stolen car back from police custody.
Old 10th May 2011, 16:18   #74
BHPian

Last Sunday, I was driving on the Bombay-Pune Expressway, on my way back from my farm in Karjat. Just near the Khopoli exit (where I got on), a biker (helmet-less of course) and his wife (riding pillion) were making a u-turn on the Expressway. Of course, they got hit by a fast moving car in the left lane (what were they even thinking).... I was watching this unfold while waiting to merge with the traffic. It all happened in a split second. So the car zooms off and I'm wondering what to do. I call the highway number and its busy. I then decide to help and so stop in the left lane (yes, idiotic but I considered the outcome if I stopped in the slow lane and walked across the E'way). Any how, I drop the back seat and load both of them into the boot. My buddy is still trying the highway assistance number while I decide to take them to hospital. The guy is unconscious and the woman bleeding profusely.

As I'm shooting down the E'way trying to get them to the hospital, guy regains consciousness and asking me why I didn't chase after the guys who knocked them down. I wanted to rip his head off but I was restrained. Then, the fool asks me why I didn't pick up his bike and park it on the side. I wanted to throw the moron out of the car, but I dropped them off at MGM hospital just off the E'way at Kalamboli. The hospital was cool and accepted the patients. They asked the guy what happened and he told them, almost accusing me of knocking him down. I made the mistake of asking what he was doing on the E'way on a bike in the first place. The guy told the doctors that ``See, look at the questions he's asking. Don't you think he knocked me down?" I told the doctors that I was a journalist and I would call the top cops. I also told the doctors that please lets just wait for the cops. Please don't start the treatment on either of them until the cops get here. The guy saw his unconscious wife bleeding and decided to shut up. I gave the doctors my details and left. No one's called so far. And everyday on my drive to work, I see the dried up remains of blood on the rear seat.

My point is this - how can someone accuse the guy who saved his and his wife's life when they were idiotic enough to try something that would definitely get them killed in the first place? And also, just for my info, would the guy who knocked them down be arrested for rash driving, when he was not in the wrong?

I'm not sure I'm thrilled about saving his life at this point.
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 17:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Well, kudos to you for being able to do your best. I can only imagine what you must be feeling.
As for this guy, I would have said he would be disoriented a bit. But then, if he is stupid/ arrogant enough to try that manouevre on the e-way, then he neither deserves nor will get any sympathy (at least from me)

I think at the end of the day, you did what you thought was correct. If people cannot appreciate your magnamity or big hearted actions, its their loss. I hope this wont put anyone off helping someone else in such a situation (after all no two people are the same).
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks