Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 09:42   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Single Person Commuting in a Car ? Good or Bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this thread is a waste of time and should be closed. none of us here can become the self appointed judges of whats right and whats wrong. clearly one man's meat is clearly another man's poison so lets just shut this topic down.
Completely agree. This could get blown out of proportions. And even then, there will be no conclusions.
Old 11th August 2011, 10:20   #92
BHPian

Shutting down a contentious thread makes me feel like a gag on expression. In fact the best perspectives always come out of heated debates even if there is no outcome. The spirit of the forum is to allow contentious topics while adhering to codes of conduct.

Request mods to help cool down tempers of members and request members to remember that while we may all disagree let us agree not be disagreeable.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 11th August 2011 at 10:32.
diffsoft is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 11:44   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Shutting down a contentious thread makes me feel like a gag on expression. In fact the best perspectives always come out of heated debates even if there is no outcome. The spirit of the forum is to allow contentious topics while adhering to codes of conduct.

Request mods to help cool down tempers of members and request members to remember that while we may all disagree let us agree not be disagreeable.

Cheers,

Yes, calm needs to be maintained, topic might not be tasteful in place where petrol-heads live but let the debate continue. Maybe some of us might replace the short drive in the morning (to get milk/drop-off kids etc etc) with a walk (weather/safety/pollution permitting). Even if it doesn't still let it live. Eventually we will get bored of arguing and thread will soon die off.
Old 11th August 2011, 13:01   #94
Senior - BHPian

If we were to lock threads that have differing viewpoints, there won't be any activity happening on the forum, because irrespective of what we dicsuss under the sun, there will always be differing opinions.

While those that want to drive alone everywhere are free to do that, we need to also motivate those who can share resources, for the larger good. So while I have no issues with those that drive solo, if some people are motivated to car-pool or use the bike/cycle/walk occasionally, thereby reducing pollution/cars-on-the-road etc, it is indeed a good thing.

Regarding the Innova thing, I believe the thought-process could be because it is more than a car - a people-mover with capacity to transport 7-8 people - so when it is used to move just 1 person, then it feels like gross under-utilisation. Same goes for SUVs. Ofcourse, the user/driver has paid for the car/fuel, so is well within his right to use it solo.

@jayabusa, while your view was indeed good, bringing in the Englishmen moved everyone's attention away to the irrelevant part of it.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th August 2011 at 13:04.
Old 11th August 2011, 13:35   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If we were to lock threads that have differing viewpoints, there won't be any activity happening on the forum, because irrespective of what we dicsuss under the sun, there will always be differing opinions.
Its great to share and discuss differing opinions as long as the objective of the thread is clear.
Not to nitpick about sentence formation but in this case, the title asks members to judge or create opinions about people based on their travel/ commute habits. IMHO, none of us have the right to tar people with brushes here, its a democracy after all.
If the objective is to educate people on benefits of carpooling, lets say so and begin by modifying the title accordingly.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 13:49   #96
BANNED

Ok here we go -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I don't get it, a person works hard makes enough money to buy a large SUV or an expensive car and takes it on the road, why is this ""wrong"" or why does this make you you feel quilty? - When i can travell in my Active but i still take the car..it makes me think twice. This is personal. Im not asking anyone to subscribe to this view. And again..when did i say it is wrong, what I said is it is NOT wrong. You can read what you want to.

Do you feel guilty when you eat a lavish meal at an expensive restaurant? when 100/1000s go to bed with on empty stomachs everyday?
- I would if i was eating a lavish meal at an expensive restaurant -every day! Again this is my personal opinion..why are my personal beliefs getting to you?
Will you stop going to such places?
Will you stop eating a proper meal and eat just the basics to survive? Your body does not need ice cream, chocolates, tobacco etc so why eat them? While your at it, you should also save water, so dont take a shower everyday.
You don't need to be online so much so shut down your PC and save some electricity.

Hippies -
Dont lose it man. If we break down every decision like that nothing will be logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am going to renew my attempts to find a good set of car pool buddies and in the process at least knock a couple of cars off the road now, but damned if I am gong to feel guilty driving alone in a car that I worked my butt off to pay for.
Thats just the kinda sprit we need. Just do your bit or atleast try..if it dosent work..you know you atleast tried

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 11th August 2011 at 14:17. Reason: posts merged
Old 11th August 2011, 13:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
the title asks members to judge or create opinions about people based on their travel/ commute habits...
I re-read the 1st post and OP says he observed 95% cars with single-occupancy, which is IMO not far from the truth - easily 95% of the cars in my office-complex have solo-users. He then suggests options like bikes, car-pooling etc, with choice left to the individual. Regarding the title, more than a judgement, it seems to be a question - but then the Mods would know better.

While travelling in the US, I saw HOV lanes, which I felt was a good incentive to reward resource-sharing. Obviously there are benefits in pooling cars, else there would not exist the concept of HOV lane itself, right ? IMO that is all that is intended by this thread - not to picturise solo-drivers as monsters destroying the environment.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th August 2011 at 13:58.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 14:05   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I re-read the 1st post and OP says he observed 95% cars with single-occupancy, which is IMO not far from the truth - easily 95% of the cars in my office-complex have solo-users. He then suggests options like bikes, car-pooling etc, with choice left to the individual. Regarding the title, more than a judgement, it seems to be a question - but then the Mods would know better.
Thanks to point that out supremebaleno. All the more reason why I think the title gives a different message than what is intended. After all the first impression does make a dent!
A simple modification would perhaps be more beneficial to the objective of this thread.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:14   #99
Senior - BHPian

This thread started off as a no comment thread, and in the long run, its been one of the most interesting threads to read. The reactions have been absolutely hilarious- doubting ones reason on being a BHPian.

As far as I am concerned, i really do not have a choice but to travel alone. Am I complaining? Hell no. I dont give a damn if I go to eco hell. But having said that, I do carpool most of the times. A lot of the regular Pune members would know that. At least, I am trying to reduce the no of vehicles by taking them in my car.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 14:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving single on all my cars for 90% of the time. I dont like to be chauffeured, don't ride bikes and don't have proper public transport in my route. Tried with car pooling quite a few times, it just did not work out, especially when I return from office.

Interesting to note that we have all these arguments while we have another thread where people are talking about their "longest solo drive". It is quite natural to have different point of views and interests for such a large number of auto enthusiasts. And that is what T-BHP is for, isn't it? Hail T-BHP.
Old 11th August 2011, 15:09   #101
BHPian

What, you have to be married or in a relationship to be able to drive cars? Such discrimination..!! lol!!

I used to drive a Honda Accord 80 miles to work and back, but recently I switched to a Yamaha Fazer 600cc - it's slightly cheaper on fuel, a lot more dangerous, but way more fun! Just saying!
Positron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 16:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this thread is a waste of time and should be closed. none of us here can become the self appointed judges of whats right and whats wrong. clearly one man's meat is clearly another man's poison so lets just shut this topic down.
I agree. I joined the forum to share my opinions about how much we love driving. For all the people who think car is a point A to B transport, why are you on the forum?

Mods: Close the thread. I see people getting agitated coz of 'moral preaching' being dished out in liberal dose on this thread. The thread has no objectivity anyway.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

May be if I think logically it'll make more sense to take the bus/company cab and save money and to some extent nature. But when it comes to cars/driving I prefer to listen to my heart over my head and I'm not ashamed of it. I commute to office regularly on my car, why? Because I love driving and even the congested Bangalore roads can't stop me from doing that. I work late in office? Why? apart from being able to concentrate more when no one around, the bigger benefit is that I can drive on empty roads late at night. I prefer take my Baleno than the brand new Scorpio, why? Cause I can have more fun when I drive the Baleno. May be somewhere in the corner of mind, why I come to office, cause it involves that 20+km drive one way. I hate the traffic congestions as much as anyone else but again after the congestion there are nice stretches where I can surely enjoy driving my car and those few minutes itself worth all the trouble. So when it comes to driving, to me it's more of a matter of heart and that also the same reason why I love TBHP so much.
If someone wants to join me while commuting are always welcome. I don't mind having company in the car but not more than two as the vehicle dynamics change a lot with more people on board.
Old 11th August 2011, 16:25   #104
BHPian

Well. I tried hard not to post on this thread all this while, but i can help no more. Here is my 2 cents:

First of all, i believe that we can help envirnoment better by "significant and larger" steps than the small things like using public transport. For example, buying a fuel efficient car may be a solution than telling one to use the bus and keep his 20L SUV at home - which is depreciating at 2L a year. However, his work might be so important that it is getting a lot of precious dollars into the country. Now, asking him to travel by bus, and making him travel more (and in a not so great envirnoment) will obviously reduce his productivity and thereby reduce his contribution to the GDP. (well, i am dramatizing this, but i hope i got the point across).

Think about alternative fuels - Run your house on solar, try to buy energy efficient appliances - use water judiciously. There are tons of things one can do to save energy. Whats the use if you go by bus (yes you save some energy), and spend energy elsewhere?

I do NOT disagree on the OP about car pooling - i myself do it everyday. However, I dont have anything against others who drive alone - my wife too drives alone. We need to think of other ways in which we can contribute to the envirnoment. For civil engineers it could be better designs to suit our conditions, and for a software engineer, it could be better designs to reduce power consumption on the zillions of devices we use. For a mechanical engineer, it could be to develop better engines.

What i am saying is, do your bit, but do it in a way where the impact is maximum.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:13   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportygellar View Post
As i stood outside a Techpark waiting for my friend I noticed that 95% of the Cars which are entering the Park is commuted by a single person.
Same here!!

Quote:
Is it a Real need to commute in a car daily or do people also have an alternative which is called as BIKE ?
BIKE? I don't think its a safe option anymore. At least not in Pune.

Quote:
People should also try Car Pooling which will reduce the traffic and also the traveling expenses. Time to think and action.
Totally agree but IMO a better public transport system will help more then car pooling.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed