Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 18:26   #106
BHPian

Re: Single Person Commuting in a Car ? Good or Bad ?

Well i believe the message that OP wanted to send across was that commuting alone in an car/SUV is wastage of Fuel & hence threatens the environment/economy. Increased Congestion is also a result of it.

That India is already congested cannot be denied, whatever might be the reasons for it, blame poor planning, large population etc etc. The thing is blaming doesn't help it. In such cases, steps which helps ease the problem should always be applauded. Nobody can deny the fact that everybody wishes that there were less cars on the roads, but everybody wants others to give up cars. A car on the road is always more welcome than 2 on the road. And no i don't want people to give up buying cars.

As such i think if its POSSIBLE to make a small contribution, do it. Its the same logic behind being asked to switch off a electronic appliances when not being used, fix a leaking faucet. Can someone not pay the extra electricity charges, sure you can. Someone may decide that he's okay with facing the inconveniences of car pooling just to do his own small bit towards the problem. While others may not. A PURELY PERSONAL CHOICE.

This is definitely NOT THE ONLY WAY of going Green, there are other ways. You are not bound to choose any at all. & Going green is definitely not moronic. May be that's why manufacturers are developing SMALLER,more fuel efficient & cleaner cars. But that doesnt mean i want to see a electric Ferrari .
coldice4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:42   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd told myself I won't post on this thread anymore, but can't miss a low full-toss when offered, so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
That India is already congested cannot be denied, whatever might be the reasons for it, blame poor planning, large population etc etc. The thing is blaming doesn't help it. In such cases, steps which helps ease the problem should always be applauded. Nobody can deny the fact that everybody wishes that there were less cars on the roads, but everybody wants others to give up cars. A car on the road is always more welcome than 2 on the road. And no i don't want people to give up buying cars.

As such i think if its POSSIBLE to make a small contribution, do it.
Agreed. Absolutely and unqualifiedly. So far.

Quote:
Its the same logic behind being asked to switch off a electronic appliances when not being used, fix a leaking faucet. Can someone not pay the extra electricity charges, sure you can. Someone may decide that he's okay with facing the inconveniences of car pooling just to do his own small bit towards the problem. While others may not. A PURELY PERSONAL CHOICE.
Argh...no! Trust me this is not analogous to the current discussion at all. Reducing wastage is everybody's duty: what you are saying is the equivalent of me not using the AC when it's 25 degrees outside (common occurence in Pune and yet I see people with their ACs on all the time) or shutting off the engine at 3-minute signals, rather than idle and waste fuel. But giving up my trusty steed to hop onto public transport is NOT a viable option for a lot of us. Reasons for this have been amply detailed in the posts above- please go through all of them.

I agree with Abhi and others- it's high time this thread was put out of its misery. It's like trying to talk to a PETA activist about my leather seats: the discussion will go nowhere and I will end up being the bad guy!

Last edited by noopster : 11th August 2011 at 18:43.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:43   #108
Senior - BHPian

On saving fuel by car pooling- people who are worried about fuel costs, would not and should not buy a car.

On saving congestion by car pooling- Congestion is more due to imbeciles whose driving logic is more like fuzzy than being binary.

On saving the world by car pooling- heck, everything ends. When sun becomes a dead star, Earth will end. Everything will have to end, it is us humans who are into "saving" and "destroying" while we cannot actually help what has to happen!

P.S: I car pool.

P.P.S: It's neither good nor bad to travel alone in a car. It is certainly bad to run into a pedestrian who is thinking about the same

Last edited by anilisanil : 11th August 2011 at 18:49.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 18:52   #109
BHPian

Car pooling is a great way to enjoy the ride and reach destination [office]. I agree that timings are an issue and most of us can plan to get to office together but getting out of office is totally different story. No one want to wait as everyone have their own priorities. But I am very sure if we debate and discuss we should be able to find a solution. I read somewhere, in some states in US have a policy to have at least 3 members in the car to allow you to drive during peak hours. The only advantage they have over us is more or less fixed work timings. I think we should take it as a challenge and see how best we can come to a solution which works for 50% of the work population, that is going to be a super achievement. I always try to pick-up any of my office colleagues or plan to go with one of them. It doesnt work always but it works 40% of the time.

Public transport is always available but it is not very efficient in India and it may take a decades time to come to a stage where it can be utilized as the best mode of transport and not necessarily cheapest mode of transport - trust me there is difference. Other worry of public transport is its reliability, safety and availability during odd hours.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:05   #110
BHPian

I think the objective of car pooling must be seen as reducing congestion on the road, not to save a few bucks.

Every month we see the thread 'Month 201* : Indian Car Sales Figures' and the fact is that almost 80K cars are added on the road every month and there is just not enough space to accommodate these vehicles. Our cities (at least Bangalore) were not planned for such growth. No wonder we have to ask questions like http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-driving.html . So many cars jostling for space on the road. So when you see 95% cars emerging from the same place with single occupants day in and day out, it doesnt feel right.

Last edited by Recompose : 11th August 2011 at 19:07.
Old 11th August 2011, 19:11   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
But giving up my trusty steed to hop onto public transport is NOT a viable option for a lot of us. Reasons for this have been amply detailed in the posts above- please go through all of them. I do absolutely understand & that's why i said if its POSSIBLE. Its not viable for you. No questions asked.

I agree with Abhi and others- it's high time this thread was put out of its misery. It's like trying to talk to a PETA activist about my leather seats: the discussion will go nowhere and I will end up being the bad guy!
Agreed this is a very strange thread indeed.
I think the moot question is "How much are you willing to give".
Old 11th August 2011, 20:38   #112
BANNED

The thread has at least made us sit up and think... think about alternatives, the problem of congestion and economizing on the use of fossil fuels. And since it was so open ended it actually went off in so many directions and kinda forced people into taking sides.. Some of you have tried to abstain though(How successful you were doing so is your call :-) )

But I think making statements like - "I earned it", "I paid for it so i can do what ever i want", "I pay my taxes" etc are so immature. We as and educated lot having the time, resource and the inclination to discuss such matters need to be change agents to bring about something better not act like spoiled brats.

Having the money to buy is one thing and being responsible is entirely another.

Again this is a personal opinion.. and hey, the last time I checked.. we are allowed to have one.
adidac369 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 20:52   #113
Senior - BHPian

I have seen lot of people use cars just to show off. Its a fact. I have seen young people between 25-35 also use cars just because they want to show it to others that they own a car. In IT at least it has become kind of fashion, many people use it just because others are using it. Some are even taking a burden of lots of money for that even if it is not easily affordable to them. My friend is also doing the same. He pays 11K for EMI & around 5-6K just for petrol for his i20. It is actually his 1/3 income. I know its ridiculous but people do it. I tried convincing him but no use. And some people are very proud that they are using car daily :( Poor chaps. Also they will keep saying that how traffic has increased & how petrol prices are increasing. But they dont want to do themselves.

I also have 2 cars at home. But i mostly use bike only for daily commute. In case of rainy season or in case i have any work then only i use car. Others, my friends also thinks that i am trying to save money. I tried them telling my view about starting from self instead of just keep shouting on others or government about pollution, high petrol prices and traffic. I am sure if some people realize this, at least 20-30% traffic will be less on roads. Lets hope for the best
Old 11th August 2011, 21:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
... Why can't Alonso and Button carpool together, after all they are both traveling the same way. Cuts the cost in half. Put four of them in car, the cost will reduce by 25% in fuel, maintenance, pit crew, what not.
Absolutely hilarious, Samurai. They are not only travelling the same way, they all start at the same time and they all want to reach the same destination at the same time too! Or maybe provide them all a bus to travel in?
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2011, 23:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is just an austerity measure, let's not start handing out noble peace awards.

And you are in this forum because....

Wow, what imagination. We must have got it from the original Angrez ke Ghulams, the Americans. They buy cars for every stage of life, and were under the British too. If they could not shake off this ghulami trait after 235 years of independence, what chance do we have after mere 64 years of independence?
I said noble, by which I meant in the larger interests of society. And yes, I completely agree with you...we are indeed bootlicking America in every possible way, to the extent of losing our own identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
. So buying a car makes me an angrez ka ghulam eh? Thanks for taking this argument to the next level. This is beyond ridiculous now.

By the way, why are you even a member here if these are your thoughts? It's one thing to preach responsible usage of one's vehicle, quite another to equate buying a personal vehicle as some of sort of sin equivalent to snuggling up to your colonial masters. Your post borders on abuse, and it's not funny.
I took birth as a human being first and became a petrolhead later. So my responsibility and priorities are first towards society and the environment.

Period

Quote:
Why can't Alonso and Button carpool together, after all they are both traveling the same way. Cuts the cost in half. Put four of them in car, the cost will reduce by 25% in fuel, maintenance, pit crew, what not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Absolutely hilarious, Samurai. They are not only travelling the same way, they all start at the same time and they all want to reach the same destination at the same time too! Or maybe provide them all a bus to travel in?
Ya, excellent joke and what an idea Sirjee!!!
Now everyone should bring their own bat while playing gully cricket because Int'l cricketers use their own!

Last edited by Jayabusa : 11th August 2011 at 23:19.
Old 11th August 2011, 23:22   #116
BHPian

I would prefer a bike anyday, but these days I have to stick to a car. Health reasons. I do have a tiny carbon footprint otherwise.
Old 11th August 2011, 23:31   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
we are indeed bootlicking America in every possible way, to the extent of losing our own identity.
This perception is clearly your own. Angrez ke Ghulam, bootlicking America... all because we love our cars? I don't know why you suffer this kind of inferiority complex, but a lot of us don't suffer it. I know I don't suffer it since I returned from US for good after 9 years stay, still no regrets after 7 years.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 00:18   #118
BHPian

I just stumbled on this thread this morning and has been following very closely since then. Its been one of the hilarious and most interesting ones. Emotions flowing in all directions

Well, my two cents are very simple. I have a car. I got it for more than 6lacs. Iam single. I drive alone. And I dont have any regrets. Do I have a choice?

Tried car/ bike pooling earlier. Does'nt really workout. Infact we pooled with friends living in same apartment, same company and same job. Still it would'nt work. One day I feel like going home early. One day someone else has to stay back for couple of hours. Another one has a 'small' work en route home and wants me to take there.

Obviously, it didnt last long. Happy to go alone and come back at my own pace and comfort.

Does it effect environment? Hey, there are thousand other ways to deal with it.
flyingkolors is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 00:42   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
BIKE? I don't think its a safe option anymore. At least not in Pune.
That's probably just an excuse to pick comfort of car over a bike. I have been riding/cycling in Pune since last 15 years and yet never felt it was unsafe.

I love my car and I love driving, but I don't enjoy driving it on congested city roads. Other may have other thoughts.

And there is indeed direct correlation between cars and traffic worries. Industrial towns like Bhosari, Pimpari Chinchwad probably ferry more people than Hinjewadi and yet we all know situation with Hinjewadi traffic. Key difference between these two being significant percentage of transport that takes place in company/PMP buses (Telco/Bajaj/Force motors) vs. almost car-per-person in Hinjewadi. Thankfully, several bigger IT companies have their own transport system, though not as heavily used.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:11   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This perception is clearly your own. Angrez ke Ghulam, bootlicking America... all because we love our cars? I don't know why you suffer this kind of inferiority complex, but a lot of us don't suffer it. I know I don't suffer it since I returned from US for good after 9 years stay, still no regrets after 7 years.
Amen to that. The angrezon ka ghulam statement was just insulting. No angrez taught me to love cars- I was born with that. And damned if I am going to feel guilty about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post

I took birth as a human being first and became a petrolhead later. So my responsibility and priorities are first towards society and the environment.

Period
That seems to be a blatant attempt to take the moral high ground and hence automatically close the argument in your favour. If these are indeed your beliefs, I suggest you stand on the sidelines and observe quietly, since last I checked, this WAS a forum for people who love their cars.
Owning/driving a car equates to not being reponsible towards society and the environment in which universe? Sometimes I drive with 5 people in my car and other times with 1. Deal with it, bro.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed