Team-BHP - Elantra officialy starts from 6.99L now
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Elantra officialy starts from 6.99L now (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/10591-elantra-officialy-starts-6-99l-now.html)

Saw this full page ad in TOI Delhi.
Elantra base model(Petrol is 6.99L) ex showroom. They are calling it hyundai elantra 2006. This model has all the bells and whistles except for traction control/Airbags.
Direct competition for Ford fiesta 1.6 and Honda city VTEC?

that is awesome.. i wonder if its the same price throughout??

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
Saw this full page ad in TOI Delhi.
Elantra base model(Petrol is 6.99L) ex showroom. They are calling it hyundai elantra 2006. This model has all the bells and whistles except for traction control/Airbags.
Direct competition for Ford fiesta 1.6 and Honda city VTEC?

Definitely, the elantra has the bhp to leave the two behind on an open stretch .. and is more spacious than either - add the hyundai ASS to that, and you have a great VFM proposition ...

but, be prepared to spend more on fuel ....

Also, they seem to be taking on the optra directly as well - though it cant beat the optra in luxury and ride confort, it makes up for it in performance.

But if the diesel model price has also come down to 8L for base it will shake up the segment. the only problem is since diesel is sold only with all bells and whistels with Airbags/TCS etc., etc,. prices may not be so low. however a base model equivalent diesel could sell for 1L more at 7.99 and be a serious competition to Fiesta!

This also makes me wonder where will the hyundai new accent sit. It was supposed to be priced a notch above the accent. But since Elantra has been brought into the notch 1L above accent, I think the new accent will replace the current one at same prices!

This is surely going to shake the mid size segment which surprisingly does not have a single diesel car which is
1. Comfortable and 2. Fast and 3. Cheap to maintain and service 4. Cheap to buy. 5. high quality
Except for the innova which is a MuV and not a car.

But then is Innova cheap to buy and then maintain? In fact I feel that any modern day diesel with all the tech-gizmos fitted(PD/CRDI) will not be "so easy" to maintain, what with our fuel quality and general dusty environments and poor infrastructure.

I was talking about regular maintainance. There is no all rounder with Power windows/Power steering and AC in sub 8L segment except innova.
Fiesta is comfortable and Fuel efficient but loses in performance, and ford service reputation is same as Tata's, and Accent crdi is great performar but cramped for space. Tata has space and VFM, but loses on driver comfort and quality. Innova has all. but is a MuV. An elantra Crdi at 8L will be the best car in this segment

Official pricing of the Elantra at 6.99 lacs is mind boggling!! That is just too much car for the money...and reminds me of the Optra 1.6 scheme for 6.99 Lacs. They are most definitely taking the Optra head - on. I am dead certain this is going to lead to a significant increase in numbers....remember how the Baleno suddenly rose in popularity after a price correction from 8 Lacs to 6.xx Lacs.

I agree with Tsk that a diesel should be offered in the same spec and at a one lac premium. But what would that do to the Accent CRDi which is selling for almost 8 lacs in Mumbai? It is GROSSLY overpriced for a C Segmenter.

The Elantra, Optra and Fiesta at 7 lac price tags are surely going to check on Hondas arrogance.

GTO

Quote:

But if the diesel model price has also come down to 8L for base it will shake up the segment. the only problem is since diesel is sold only with all bells and whistels with Airbags/TCS etc., etc,. prices may not be so low. however a base model equivalent diesel could sell for 1L more at 7.99 and be a serious competition to Fiesta!

I am sure the Fiesta owners would love to disagree with you - though the Elantra CRDi at 7.99L would steal away all their sales for sure. The Fiesta TDCi can do nothing except slash its prices to stay alive.

Who knows, maybe this might be the pipeline from hyundai

Quote:

This is surely going to shake the mid size segment which surprisingly does not have a single diesel car which is
1. Comfortable and 2. Fast and 3. Cheap to maintain and service 4. Cheap to buy. 5. high quality
Except for the innova which is a MuV and not a car.

There are none in the higher categories as well (except for the elantra itself).

Quote:

This model has all the bells and whistles except for traction control/Airbags.

The missing bells and whistles also include
- Climate control and air-filter
- Alloys
- Keyless entry and immobiliser
- 6 CD changer
- A bit of chrome and leather here and there ...

Fiesta owners disagree? I doubt.
Fiesta is not a fast sedan. Good in city poor on highways. 0-100 slower than indica Turbo
And for 6 feet + people it does not offer too much space either, though much better than accent.
At 50K less if would have been a bargain, but at current levels its overpriced.

Well I was comparing this segment.
This segment has
1. Power windows
2. Power steering
3. Onboard computer
4. ABS
So that way elantra GT is actually pretty well equipped.

OT: I always wonder why do they give CD changers? I mean its the age of mp3, and most of these CD changers cant handly mp3!

Ahem...

& As usual...Every one seems to have written off the Petra Diesel !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paharino1
Ahem...

& As usual...Every one seems to have written off the Petra Diesel !!

Well... when fiat doesn't give a damn, why should anyone care ? And btw isn't it underpowered too?

Quote:

Well I was comparing this segment.
This segment has
1. Power windows
2. Power steering
3. Onboard computer
4. ABS
So that way elantra GT is actually pretty well equipped.

Man, those are necessities in any midsizer - I was talking about the "bells and whistles" part, the stuff you can do without ....

Quote:

OT: I always wonder why do they give CD changers? I mean its the age of mp3, and most of these CD changers cant handly mp3!

Totally agree, CD changers without MP3 are useless - though most off-market ones have MP3/WMA as well now. Only the OEM offerings come with these obsolete sets.

Quote:

& As usual...Every one seems to have written off the Petra Diesel
The Petra is in a different segment altogether. U cant compare 63 bhp and 120 nm of torque with 82 bhp and 189 nm of torque (Accent CRDI)

The petra is a competitor (!) to the indigo and Maaaaaaybeeee the fiesta if u strech things a bit

Cheers