Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 13:18   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pic: Toyota Etios Diesel ; Coming in September'11

What is the price of the Etios VD variant? That seems to be the desirable & how does it compare with the Dezire VDi or the Manza Aura+?
Old 9th September 2011, 13:26   #137
Senior - BHPian

Liva diesel GD launched at Rs 5.54 lakh ex showroom Delhi.

Etios Sedan is launched at 6.44 lakh ex showroom Delhi.

The pricing is little on the higher side, but the saving grace is the safety features are standard on all variants of Etios/Liva.

Last edited by speedmiester : 9th September 2011 at 13:31.
Old 9th September 2011, 13:31   #138
BHPian

No Tacho, No deffogers, No Rear Wash wipe for Liva.
Exactly same as what MSIL have done few years back with Swift Diesel few years back.
Neverthless, I'm expecting atleast Rubber door beading for Etios twins this time.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 13:58   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
New swift interiors is far ahead of liva and etios . Swift interiotrs have premium feel to it and swift has more features then liva . But there is price difference between liva and swift so its your take to go for which one .
You know something. In every aspect except the rear and boot space, I'm convinced that the New Swift is ahead of Liva. But, since we have tall members in my family, space is something that I can never compromise on. So, had to cancel the booking of new Swift and go for Liva Diesel instead. :(

Sad that Maruti decided to allocate only 20mm of the additional 90mm length they added on new swift for cabin space. :(
Old 9th September 2011, 14:11   #140
BHPian

Any indications about the OTR price of Etios D in Mumbai? I've booked Dzire ZDi & expected delivery is next month. I'm in two minds nowto cancel the dzire booking & going for etios!!

Last edited by powertrain : 9th September 2011 at 14:13.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:12   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Sad that Maruti decided to allocate only 20mm of the additional 90mm length they added on new swift for cabin space. :(
+1. Toyota has got the pulse of Indian customer. I my case, though I don't have that tall people in my family, without a doubt I want oodles of space & this one Toyota has got it right. Why is it so that cars that have got very good interiors have to be claustrophobic/cramped?
Old 9th September 2011, 14:13   #142
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Sales head mentioned in the launch of Diesel variant - "It doesn't make sense to buy a Diesel unless you clock 2000 kms per month". When I heard that, I thought it didn't make any sense, and tried to do a calculation myself. Thought of sharing it in the thread.

Etios - opportunity cost for extra capital spent 90,000 ==> 450 per month extra expenditure for diesel ( @ a conservative 6% interest rate )
3 years battery change ==> 5000 extra for diesel ==> 139 per month extra expenditure for Diesel
Insurance Cost ==> 4000 extra for 3 years ==> 111 per month extra expenditure for Diesel
Capital Loss after after 7 years ==> 45,000 ( out of the 90,000 ). Applying time value of money to now. It comes to 30,000 present value ==> 357 per month

So, per month additional cost of ownership of a diesel over Petrol ( without considering maintenance cost difference ) = 1,057 per month

Average Maintenance cost ( in addition to battery ) ==> 50% extra for Diesel per km

ARAI mileage of Etios Petrol = 18.6 ==> Practical Mileage ( @70% ) = 12.6 kmpl
ARAI mileage of Etios Diesel = 23.59 ==> Practical Mileage ( @70% ) = 16.513 kmpl

Cost of Petrol = 66.2
Cost of Diesel = 44.55

Per km fuel cost of Petrol Etios = 66.2/12.6 = 5.25 per km
Per km fuel cost of Diesel Etios = 44.55/16.5 = 2.7 per km

Per km running cost adding per km maintenance

per km running cost for Petrol = 5.25 + 1.5 = 6.75 per km
per km running cost of Diesel = 2.7 + 2.25 = 4.95 per km

Running cost advantage for Diesel over Petrol = 1.80 per km.

Under the current prices, if a person uses his car for more than 600 kms per month ( ie, 7200 kms per year ), Diesel is more cost effective than Petrol. So, Toyota sales head seems to be wrong and seems to have said it with the intention of marketing the Petrol variants.

If I'm wrong or I missed something in my calculation, please give your suggestions.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 14:29   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

The pricing is little on the higher side, but the saving grace is the safety features are standard on all variants of Etios/Liva.
Ex showroom price in delhi for Petrol G is 4,59,000 and g Sp is 505000, if it's basic g variant then increase of almost 85k over petrol but becomes lucrative if it's G SP variant then the difference is just 50k
Old 9th September 2011, 14:30   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Per km running cost adding per km maintenance

per km running cost for Petrol = 5.25 + 1.5 = 6.75 per km
per km running cost of Diesel = 2.7 + 2.25 = 4.95 per km

Running cost advantage for Diesel over Petrol = 1.80 per km.

Under the current prices, if a person uses his car for more than 600 kms per month ( ie, 7200 kms per year ), Diesel is more cost effective than Petrol. So, Toyota sales head seems to be wrong and seems to have said it with the intention of marketing the Petrol variants.

If I'm wrong or I missed something in my calculation, please give your suggestions.
Though provoking calculations Amalji. No doubt Toyota sales head wants to market their petrol variants (as they would have loads of them in their inventory & they first want to get rid of those)

Just to add some perspective, in my current Indica (which is 7+ years old & done 98+K kms) my per km running cost is Rs 2.30 & maintenance cost is Rs 0.70, so TCO is Rs 3.00 (only). Now if a Tata Indica can be so frugal I am sure a Toyota diesel can no just achieve that, but better it.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:32   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

Are you sure its 5.54,I read 5.44 somewhere on the net.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:39   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Though provoking calculations Amalji. No doubt Toyota sales head wants to market their petrol variants (as they would have loads of them in their inventory & they first want to get rid of those)

Just to add some perspective, in my current Indica (which is 7+ years old & done 98+K kms) my per km running cost is Rs 2.30 & maintenance cost is Rs 0.70, so TCO is Rs 3.00 (only). Now if a Tata Indica can be so frugal I am sure a Toyota diesel can no just achieve that, but better it.
With regards to the maintenance cost, I wanted to allocate money for maintenance lavishly so that no one complains that maintenance cost I allocated is not adequate. I also considered factors like engine overhaul costs, maintenance of the turbo, tyre change costs ( 17k every 30,000 kms which is only increasing ), cost increase of spares.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:47   #147
BHPian

The pricing looks too high IMO. The Swift easily betters the Liva in all respects except the cabin and boot space. The Toyota's diesel engine is a SOHC, 8V old school engine which is no match for the DOHC, 16V engine used in the Swift diesel and other cars using the same engine. Enough has been said about the Liva's interiors and design.

Having said that, I'm sure that the Liva and Etios D will have enough buyers only because of the T factor.
Old 9th September 2011, 15:37   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Brochures -

Etios:

SCOOP Pic: Toyota Etios Diesel ; EDIT : Now launched-etiosdiesel4pageleaflet1.jpg

SCOOP Pic: Toyota Etios Diesel ; EDIT : Now launched-etiosdiesel4pageleaflet2.jpg

Liva:

SCOOP Pic: Toyota Etios Diesel ; EDIT : Now launched-livadiesel4pageleaflet1.jpg

SCOOP Pic: Toyota Etios Diesel ; EDIT : Now launched-livadiesel4pageleaflet2.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 16:11   #149
BHPian

Pricing for Liva doesn't seem too high considering that it would compete with Swift Vdi+ABS. On paper it looks somewhat lesser in power as compared to Swift, only a test drive would tell how much lack of power is felt in real world driving.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 17:20   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Having said that, I'm sure that the Liva and Etios D will have enough buyers only because of the T factor.
For me, I'll go for the Etios over the new Swift for the following reasons.

1) The rear leg space
2) Boot Space
3) The reliability and durability of the D-4D technology ( used in vehicles like Altis, Innova, Prado, Qualis )
4) The increased glass area ( which increases the spacious feeling )
5) Last, but not the least the T-factor

This is in addition to the proven performance ( behind Swift though ) and ride comfort ( Having tried the Petrol Liva, I know that it should only get better with the Diesel ) .

PS: If I were 5 years younger, I would've definitely gone with the great performing Swift DDiS though.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed