Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 10:50   #46
BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pic: Toyota Etios Diesel ; Coming in September'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Toyota sold around 1K units of Corolla last month (highest in segment by a big margin). I don't know if you have driven the car or not, but it is no way hopelessly under powered. Yes, it does not generate as much power as Cruze but it is targeted to all to different clientele. Same goes with Liva and Etios.

If you go by GTO's official Review of Corolla Diesel, it is a highly refined engine and same engine will be used in Liva and Etios with FGT. Following is are GTO's remark for 1.4 D-4D:

Engine refinement at idle is phenomenal. Except for a subtle murmur, there is absolutely no indication of the diesel under the hood. No vibrations on the gear lever or on the steering wheel either. The engine remains highly refined all through the revv range. In fact, sitting on the back seat (where most of its owners will be) while cruising, there is no engine sound at all.
Yes I have driven the car and truly believe we are being taken for a ride and it is just not worth the premium. IMO, Toyota should price the Altis D LOWER than that nice petrol of theirs. I was merely stating that the 1.4 D engine belongs in smaller cars like the Etios and Liva, and not a "premium" offering like the Altis.
In a car of that segment and price, refinement is not enough. Pretty much all diesels in that segment are refined today, but they are also powerful AND efficient. A 0-100 time of 14+ seconds in a 15 lakh car combined with severe turbo lag just does not cut it i'm sorry.
NVH is easy to control in bigger/more expensive cars with proper insulation. Might be a different story in light, built to cost cars like the Etios and Liva. A fitting example is the implementation of the same 1.5 DCi engine in the Logan/Verito and the Fluence. While the Fluence is very refined in terms of noise, the Logan is not.
Also I really see no reason why they should have a FGT instead of the VGT for the Etios/Liva. This is just another case of a manufacturer cutting costs amounting to pennies to maximize margins.

*Please see GTO's comments above

Last edited by hossdoc : 17th August 2011 at 10:52. Reason: same quote twice
Old 17th August 2011, 11:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Etios D will win hands down considering that it is from Toyota with loads of inside space & I suppose among the biggest boot in the segment.
The Etios/Liva 1.4 Diesel does promise a lot, provided Toyota has learnt from its experiences of Altis, Etios & Liva P and taken care of the following:
  1. Turbo lag (as in Altis D) is adequately mitigated
  2. Pricing - Liva P is priced optimistically, IMHO
  3. NVH is kept in check for a bigger & noisier mill on Etios/Liva frame
Old 17th August 2011, 11:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
The Etios/Liva 1.4 Diesel does promise a lot, provided Toyota has learnt from its experiences of Altis, Etios & Liva P and taken care of the following:
  1. Turbo lag (as in Altis D) is adequately mitigated
  2. Pricing - Liva P is priced optimistically, IMHO
  3. NVH is kept in check for a bigger & noisier mill on Etios/Liva frame
+1 to this.
Toyota has really priced the Liva optimistically. This leaves very low margin /bandwidth for diesel Liva.
Old 18th August 2011, 20:06   #49
BHPian

Etios Diesel in 3 variants & Liva Diesel in 2 variants expected on September 9th. Bookings open @ Rs. 50k. Got message from dealer.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 20:41   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Etios Diesel in 3 variants & Liva Diesel in 2 variants expected on September 9th. Bookings open @ Rs. 50k. Got message from dealer.
Looks like Toyota doesn't want to sit on the fence & watch the game ! I never expected them to bring both the diesels together. Guess they want to grab the share as much as & ASAP as well.

Good, fireworks have already begun !
Old 18th August 2011, 21:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
That's good news, so the launch is just 3 weeks away
Could you get the details on the specs, especially the power output, max torque (@ what rpm band)? Are they continuing with the same transmission as on the Etios petrol or chances of the 6 speed tranny as on the Altis? Quite eager to know all these details. Also when can we expect the official TD review of the Etios D on TBHP?
Old 18th August 2011, 22:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That's good news, so the launch is just 3 weeks away
Could you get the details on the specs, especially the power output, max torque (@ what rpm band)? Are they continuing with the same transmission as on the Etios petrol or chances of the 6 speed tranny as on the Altis? Quite eager to know all these details. Also when can we expect the official TD review of the Etios D on TBHP?
Phew, that's a lot of questions! The Toyota dealer here sent the message to every existing customer, and thus I got it. Not really interested in buying either the Etios or the Liva, but I shall speak with the service manager to find out.
Old 19th August 2011, 10:57   #53
BHPian

IMO with the current quality of interiors Liva D might not be a game changer, I feel the Etios D might be a game changer.

If Liva is going to have only 2 variant, IMO they will not offer alloy wheel to the top end. Might use the same strategy played by MSL old Swift VDI.
Old 19th August 2011, 14:21   #54
BHPian

1200cc diesel mill ?

Just spoke to the local dealer here,
Launch sept end
1200 cc diesel engine
they have started taking bookings
no info on pricing.variants etc
Old 19th August 2011, 15:06   #55
BHPian

Toyota Etios Liva diesel to be launched before Etios diesel

I just received news that Toyota will launch the Liva hatch diesel before the Etios sedan diesel, by October 2011 in all probability.

The Liva diesel will come with a 1.2 litre, 4-cylinder diesel D-4D engine. Power and torque figures are unknown.

Externally, there is no change except for the D-4D badge.

The chap who was driving it commented that the Liva felt punchier than the Swift diesel, polo diesel and Fabia diesel. I found engine noise to be on the higher side (as compared to other diesel hatchbacks from the same segment).
AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 15:08   #56
BHPian

Re: 1200cc diesel mill ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
1200 cc diesel engine
Are you sure about this? Where did they suddenly get this engine from? Can you please reconfirm.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:14   #57
BHPian

Re: 1200cc diesel mill ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Are you sure about this? Where did they suddenly get this engine from? Can you please reconfirm.
Even I was ,when I heard this. I asked the dealer does toyota have a 1200 cc diesel engine. He said all hatchbacks come with 1200cc engines.
Felt like .
Lets wait and watch. Btw I was just googling for 1200cc diesel engines by Toyota .
just noticed on another thread,someone else also mentions the same 1200cc diesel mill

Last edited by inder : 19th August 2011 at 15:17.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Liva diesel to be launched before Etios diesel

Toyota is going bonkers trying to match two-pronged attack from Swift on diesel front and Jazz on petrol front. Where does it leave drab looking Liva? But it serves Toyota right for bringing in ugly looking cars. Just as Honda has learnt its lesson, some day Toyota will learn it, too.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:53   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
The Liva diesel will come with a 1.2 litre, 4-cylinder diesel D-4D engine. Power and torque figures are unknown.
Are you sure that it's 1.2? Should be a typo error of 1.4.
And BTW, october is too long. They said it would be on september in three weeks time.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:27   #60
BHPian

It must be 1.4 as it qualifies under norms. For reference here are figures of Altis D-4D. lets see how much Toyota tweaks this. Liva will have FGT.

Type: D-4D Diesel Variable Nozzle Turbo and Intercooler, 4 cylinder inline
Displacement: 1364 cm³ (cc)
Fuel Supply System: Common Rail
Max. Output: 65 kW @ 3800rpm / 88.4 PS @ 3800 rpm
Max. Torque: 205 Nm @ 1800-2800 rpm / 20.9 kg-m @ 1800-2800 rpm

Last edited by zalaps : 19th August 2011 at 16:28. Reason: added info
Closed Thread

Most Viewed