Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 23:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 : shortage for 6 speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Is Pune is covered under BS4

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2462785

Or is Hyundai exploiting some loophole i.e. having got a BS4 certification, modifications afterwards do not affect it ?

The following cities will move to BS4 norms from 1st April 2010 – Delhi & NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad (including Secundrabad), Ahmedabad, Pune, Surat, Kanpur, Agra, Lucknow and Solapur.

I guess I'm lucky that I got a 6 gear i20. From the discussion above, it seems that most of the guys are talking about Hyundai shifting to 5gear pieces because the New Verna also uses the same.

This is exactly what my Sales Executive told me. Indirectly though! He told me that there are some production delays due to the 6 gear variant.. I didn't understand anything then. (I just wanted to drive my new car back home..!!) No wonder, Now it all adds up..

The Petrol version always had 5 gears.
arrowaby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 10:35   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
petrol,always had a 5 speed gearbox.
Hey, Thanks, thought they had 6S for all versions Petrol and Diesel.
Did not realize that it was only for CRDI alone.
Old 14th August 2011, 11:53   #18

Not sure whether this move (of moving to 5 gears) for I 20 diesel will do any good to Hyundai. With new swift getting launched this month, stripping i20 of that 6th gear might prove lethal.
Old 14th August 2011, 18:55   #19
BHPian

Will this affect the performance of the car …. I mean in terms of acceleration or top speed ??
Old 14th August 2011, 19:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

I went for a TD last week. The sales guy told me that the 6 speed variant is discontinued. No other changes. And the reason behind this is the new Verna, that Hyundai feels lazy to produce two different GBs for the same 1.4L CRDi mill.
Old 15th August 2011, 16:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Whatever be the reasons behind the going for 5 speed, I do not think it matters, performance - wise. If anything, it actually may improve it as they may be need for fewer shifts.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:31   #22
BHPian

Guys, the performance in the 5th gear is very good. Already. The 6th gear, if I can put it, was an added feature which is, now, being dropped. Moreover the 6th gear comes into picture only when you are driving at a very long stretch, which In most city conditions, is rare.

Of course, if there was a 7th gear and if it was to be discontinued we would still be having this discussion. :-)
Old 15th August 2011, 22:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

i20 5S is almost 2 secs faster to 0-100 than 6S according to Mags. 6th gear will only come in play on highways where you have to comfortably cruise at 120.

Moreover i don't understand whats EURO3/BSIII or BSIV has to do with number of gears. If that was the case i think New Verna Automatic is not BSIV ??
abhibh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 18:06   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 diesel loses a gear!

"Hyundai’s i20 has created quite a niche for itself in the market as a premium big hatch. The car is doing good numbers for the Korean carmaker and there isn’t quite a worthy competitor to the spacious car in sight as of now. Why mend something that’s not broke – they say. Hyundai, however think otherwise and suddenly the company has decided to take one cog out of the diesel i20’s gearbox. The 6-speed manual gearbox was introduced on the car last year along with a few cosmetic upgrades. However, the i20 diesel will now be available with a five speeder unit only. And why? Well, the five-speed units may have cost implications, helping increase the margins for the carmaker. If so is the case, will the benefit be passed on to the customers. NO. So if you prefer a six-speeder ‘box on your car, and if you were going to buy the i20, start hunting for the few remaining cars with the option"

Cheers!

Hyundai i20 loses a gear, 2012 facelift spied
Old 16th August 2011, 20:01   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Mine was the first lot of i20 that came with 6 speed gearbox.There was a sticker inside the bonnet which said mine was the 7th 6 speed i20 manufactured.The sticker was some thing like -"Transmission 6 speed,manufacture count-7".
sagarpadaki, where did you find the count? how to locate. Pls let know
Old 17th August 2011, 08:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva

sagarpadaki, where did you find the count? how to locate. Pls let know
The sticker was stuck on the engine cover. A yellow sticker with Hyundai written on top and the details below.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:36   #27
BHPian

guys got my 5 speed magna diesel around 8 days back.car is really good. have changed stock tyres with 195/55r/15 accelere. i posted msg during the time of booking that car will now come with 5 speed only reason : unknown.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i-6-speed.html

and yes it is cheaper by 9,000 rs then 6 speed transmission
also feature of optimum gear at relevant speed which used to show has been removed.
i will come with detail review of car in few days. hope it helps prospective buyers.

rgds
Old 20th August 2011, 15:11   #28
BHPian

Understand Hyundai has stopped producing 6 speed gear box for i20 CRDI. They have reverted back to 5 speed gear box for i20 CRDI.
My friend was lucky, he booked for i20 CRDI Asta and got 6 speed gear box car with Rs. 10,000/- discount. Do see a few cost cuttings when compared with my 2009 model CRDI Asta.
a. Spare wheel now is no more alloy wheel, it's the normal steel rim wheel.
b. Back centre seat belt is lap belt (two point seat belt) not three point seat belt like the model I have.
c. Cigarette lighter is missing, now it has only a plastic cover.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:54   #29
BHPian

i20 CRDI 5 or 6 Speed?

Hi,

My first post on the BHP Forums looks like

My wife and I are in the market looking to buy a premium hatchback. So first, I have spent many nights in the last one month reading up stuff on TBhp. It's been a great experience. My heartfelt thanks to all those behind Team-BHP who make it THEE PLACE on the Net to spend quality time to get one's car queries answered. Thank you.

Our requirements:
A premium hatchback.
Out of station travel every 2-3 months (500 to 1K+ km trips each). Self drive.
Plan to have a driver for city use. Back seat comfort is not low on the list of preferences.

Yesterday, we went to Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore and TDed the i20. Liked it a lot and are seriously considering going for it. However have a few questions which I hope fellow TBhpians will advise us on ...

The price list that we got had the CRDI in 5 and 6 speed gearboxes. When asked, the Sales guy said its only the 5 speed that's available and Hyundai makes the 6 speed only on special order. So my question is:

Why are there 2 different gearbox varients?
What is the logic?
Why is the 5 / 6 speed choice available only on CRDi and not on petrol?
For our out station trips, the 6 speed would be better right? Or is the 5 speed enough for us? About 10K more for 6 speed.

There are no discounts at all on the CRDI and a waiting list of 6 weeks according to the Sales guy. (Petrol he says however is off-the-shelf, free insurance and 3K discount for being a doctor!) If we wait for December then will we get a better price for end-of-year?

Also ...

1. Was so happy reading the i20 reports on TBhp but then all the anticipation when thru the window on reading about the steering noise issues of i20.
2. Heard that the new i20 is going to be launched in 2012. Is there any known approximate launch date for the 2012 version?

Given the above, what would you advise us? We are not in any particular hurry to buy immediately and don't mind waiting a few months IF it makes sense.
Or should we seriously consider the Polo? It's a great car but slightly less space than the Polo and not as feature rich as the i20.

Many thanks in advance for the much looked forward to advice.
musa
Old 20th October 2011, 14:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: i20 CRDI 5 or 6 Speed?

I doubt about new i20 anytime soon. If you can get 6S, get it. I guess waiting period for this might be longer since they made this option( didnt know there was an option even) coz Verna uses same engine/gear choice and hence shortage.

6 S helps with kmpl on highway trips.

Most Viewed