Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 16:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

From the above post the prices are very close with the Laura. I am pretty sure this will make many buyers move towards Jetta while considering Laura diesel.

The pricing looks very dicey on paper.

Now we need to check what cost cutting has done to the design or just the package of the car.

Waiting for a detail report from one of the lucky guys here.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:11   #17
BHPian

Jetta is going to eat into Laura Diesel market and how! I think the price is no short of killer for a high quality C+ segment german diesel sedan.

Are these 16 inch alloys in these pics? Because if so, the car is really HUGE. Even with 16 inch shoes the car look under-tired more so when you look at the yawning gap in the tirewell.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:50   #18
BHPian

Guys,
Pricing looks live-able, though never good enough for us buyers . VW seems to know all the buttons to press...

Like vb-san pointed out ,the ground clearance of 139mm , ( is this a typo in the brochure/site ?) could be an issue. Just looked up the review of the Fluence and the comparison is Laura 164mm, Cruze 165mm and Fluence 170mm,Civic 170mm and Altis 176mm.

Waiting ,waiting ,waiting for the review.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Taken from the official website -

VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.-new_jetta_ebrochure.jpg

Looks like one has to be very careful while driving the Jetta on a bumper-filled road. Better plan your route first before taking the car out on the roads.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 17th August 2011 at 16:59.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 17:08   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Same engine tune? The Laura doesn't come with a manual transmission on the higher powered diesel.
That was only till they discontinued the 1.9 TDI motor in the Laura sometime in April. Post that the manual and the DSG gearbox equipped Laura come with the same 2.0 motor in identical tune.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Feature comparison between Laura/Jetta/Cruze

Here is a quick comparison xl i made between Cruze, Jetta & Laura. Looking at the sheet, i stand corrected a bit.

Trendline MT & Ambiente MT are pretty close without discounts - Trendline has 16" Alloys, ESP, EDL & Curtain/Side airbags while Ambients has Front Fogs, Rear Armrest, Parking Sensor, Better Audio & Lumbar Support. Jetta also has the better tuned engine. Cruze LTZ is way more VFM though with better features.

Elegance MT vs Comfortline MT is a slightly different story. Elegance has Leather seats, Lumbar Support, ACC while Comfortline has better engine, ESP+EDL, Curtain/Side Airbags & MFD "Plus" (i am guessing this is same as in L&K). If one can live without ACC, Jetta is better VFM considering Leather seats can be put Aftermarket for 40k odd.

Highline vs L&K. No Leather in Highline, no ACC, no Seat Memory/Heated Seats, Xenon. L&K is far better VFM compared to DSG Highline. Highline MT might be a different story as it is 1L+ cheaper.

Considering how Skoda is already a premium brand in India and VW is stuck in pricing between Skoda and Audi, i think this pricing is a good start. What remains to be seen is quantum of discounts on offer. You can easily get 50k+ discounts on Laura which might skew the numbers in its favor. Jetta looks are also debatable (too similiar to Vento ??) plus lack of ACC/DSG might make it difficult for it to compete with Laura numbers.

Me, well looking again, i might consider Trendline MT if the dealer gives some discounts.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Jetta.xlsx (29.8 KB, 519 views)
Old 17th August 2011, 17:14   #22
BHPian

Here is the features list from their e-brochure:

VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.-picture-2-jetta.png

VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.-picture-3-jetta.png

Source:
Download e-Brochure < Shopping Tools < Welcome to Volkswagen India
Old 17th August 2011, 17:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

The new Jetta certainly looks like the upgraded Vento from front. Another thing being Jetta doesn't have ACC, even a Highline Vento has it and how are the DRL's in Jetta?
@stratos
Does the Jetta have a middle transmission hump which hampers the 5 pax. And in a wild guess can the Jetta headlights be retrofitted into a Vento keeping in mind that Jetta is almost 75% Vento.
Mods please include the accessories list of Jetta in your review, if possible.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:29   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
That was only till they discontinued the 1.9 TDI motor in the Laura sometime in April. Post that the manual and the DSG gearbox equipped Laura come with the same 2.0 motor in identical tune.
Nope it's the same engine but MT gets 110hp 250nm version, whereas the AT DSG gets 140hp 320nm.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 17:36   #25
BHPian

Hi,
Well I did not find the prices very attractive and its purely my opinion. I know that Volkswagen offers very good quality and safety but the new Jetta is not loaded to the teeth. Further can anyone give a comparision of prices and features of old variants and new variants so that all can understand the difference in the prices and features.

Further the drop in the ground clearence is a serious down since even if one drives exclusively on highways also needs reasonable ground clearence and in India it has to be 170 mm plus and the more the merrier.

So far as I believe and remember the Passat was great leap forward in terms of equippment and not much of a price hike. So we seriously need to compare the additional features and the added price.

Anyone having better knowledge and information please discuss and inform.

Thanks,
Old 17th August 2011, 17:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Decent price tag but not a particular VFM car. Although, the Highline DSG variant is tempting. I wish VW also gave the metallic blue as a color option(international launch color). The Cruze still remains my favorite C+ segment oil burner.
Old 17th August 2011, 17:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the Jetta will score very high on safety with Curtain air bags for front and rear passengers standard across all variants. Same with ESP. Laura offers ESP only on the L&K.

The DSG gearbox on the highline comes with paddle shifts!

But VW missed a trick here by not offering the famous DSG gear box on the lower variants. The DSG box is a big draw, and this gearbox alone can win over prospective Laura, Corolla, Cruze customers. With the traffic situation worsening in all our cities the preference for AT versions has gone up manifold.

GC of only 139 mm
Old 17th August 2011, 19:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

GC is definitely wrongly mentioned. They may have ported data from a different site and it just contains the spec of may be the US version which has a GC of 5.5in approximately 139mm.

The Indian version should be around 162 if not the old 154mm GC.

Quote:
even if one drives exclusively on highways also needs reasonable ground clearence and in India it has to be 170 mm plus and the more the merrier.
The honda civic may have better GC but it will scrape more roads than the Jetta with 154mm GC. All comes to the suspension set up of this car. Lets hope the new car has stiffer suspension.

For the 154mm GC the suspensions(Old jetta) are set such that i have scrapped exactly once on a really crazy speed braker in Bangalore.

Its over 6 months of ownership and i can vouch that 154 mm is very much enough with that suspension set up.

Last edited by VW2010 : 17th August 2011 at 19:08.
Old 17th August 2011, 19:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Dear Moderators,

As and when Team BHP is invited to interact with VW regarding the new Jetta could you kindly convey to them that there are customers in this country who would like their car interiors to be Grey, dark Blue, Black or even a dark Brown depending on the exterior presentation and that it would be awfully nice of them to let us have an option of selecting something other than the national automotive interior colour 'Beige'.

Regards
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 20:22   #30
BHPian

As far as i can see, they have not included bluetooth and GPS even as an option. And no push button start, proximity sensing keyless entry etc either. Or did i miss something? The earlier Jetta had only 2 variants and thus they had many features of comfortline cramped into the base model. Now since the third option has been spawned for the Jetta, the trendline misses out on many things. Most of the feature list of the comfortline are things one would expect of a 15 lakh plus car...no matter how you look at it.

And, please tell us ( ...request to those lucky ones who had been at the launch) about the quality of plastics on the interiors. There was a rumor that to cut costs, Volkswagen has degraded the soft touch plastics of the earlier version, and that there are bits that feel quiet tacky. Well i already read that the seats wont hold a candle for the old Jetta seats that were top notch.

The DRLs on the Jetta is a pale joke on all those fabulous DRLs seen on the Audis and Passats. Why even bother... they could just have named them park lights! Is it true that they are not even LEDs, and just a single lamp? The climate control knobs and switches are oh so entry level sedan-ish.... the previous dash had such an elegant and classy set up, even for the trendline... Just now I am so tempted to opt for the previous Jetta comfortline which might come with an even larger discount and bluetooth, GPS included free of cost!!

Last edited by druk75 : 17th August 2011 at 20:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed