Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 20:37   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Awesome looking car!! The pricing is just right. I was so scared they will price it higher. This is exactly on the lines of the old Jetta and people considering the Laura will be tempted to look at the Jetta now. Now please can we have the review soon so that I can go ahead and book this beauty.

GC 139? Surely a typo. Coming from Innova, 139mm GC will appear to me as sitting right on the tarmac!
Old 17th August 2011, 20:43   #32
BHPian

looks like a big boring vento. No ACC or xenons (leave aside bi-xenons), no leather upholstery even in high line. Sunroof missing too. If GC is 139, then honda city is a SUV. The rear looks like A4 (a 5 year old model now). Very bland and un inspiring. I was looking forward for this car for long. Not any more. sigh. laura looks a better buy still
Old 17th August 2011, 21:09   #33
BHPian

The interiors look stunning and so does the car from the rear. The rear light cluster though is boring. The circular ones on the older Jetta looked a lot more refreshing. Front end is typical VW-ish, almost passes off as a grown up Vento.

Pricing is decent for the VW brand and features on offer (though few are still missing). Altis, Civic and Cruze should have a fight on their hands.

2L TDi engine across all variants with no petrol offering is a welcome change.

Its ironic that VW chose to launch the Jetta on the same day as the Swift. Though these two cars fall in totally different segments, the Swift would have stolen some of the limelight from the Jetta.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

I find the pricing to be very competitive , Jetta should be able to crack the segment with the new package given the premium associated with VW badge. The looks are understated but thats what is expected of VW cars ! Curious strategy of launching only the diesel cars , maybe to keep waiting period so that the entire assembly line keeps busy churning out oil burners. Who can find fault with VW's strategy when even 80% of all new Swift bookings is diesel? Though I do not doubt that petrol versions would be launched in due course , sooner than later, once production stabilises and target localisation is achieved.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just now I am so tempted to opt for the previous Jetta comfortline which might come with an even larger discount and bluetooth, GPS included free of cost!!
I dont think you get Bluetooth and GPS. The bluetooth module costs closes to 35K and that too the old module.

There was no GPS.

The only thing i can think of is giving the Vento system which has all the features but is not the RCD system.

I am absolutely sure the GC is given erroneously. Sad that a company like VW cant even post proper data in their website.

On the other hand if its 139 i just pity them selling any number in Chennai let alone other places.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:05   #36
BHPian

When people say Vento is the brother of Polo, one can easily say Jetta is the elder brother of Polo. Clean, elegant looks are welcome but I do not understand the idea behind replicating the same design elements across different segments.

Premium of 4.5 - 5 lakhs over Vento Diesel top end for its brother Jetta base version makes it look wee bit expensive in my opinion. 14.10 OTR price for base model would have been pretty good.

Fluence, though it comes with a smaller engine (but high FE) and about around the same price seems to be a good option for someone wanting to look different.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
When people say Vento is the brother of Polo, one can easily say Jetta is the elder brother of Polo. Clean, elegant looks are welcome but I do not understand the idea behind replicating the same design elements across different segments.
Sharing components leads to cutting costs through economies of scale and protecting margins - thats where the 14.1 lakhs ex showroom came from else Jetta would have been in the 15+ territory for sure. If Toyota Altis with its puny engine can price it as much then surely Jetta can .

Quote:
Fluence, though it comes with a smaller engine (but high FE) and about around the same price seems to be a good option for someone wanting to look different.
Well logically if Fluence can be priced as much with its smaller engine and with a Renault badge then Jetta is a fantastic bargain at that price. Preference over looks of course is subjective , I don't see Jetta's looks as something of a deal breaker - i think it should be a good car to be chauffered around in
Old 17th August 2011, 22:18   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Premium of 4.5 - 5 lakhs over Vento Diesel top end for its brother Jetta base version makes it look wee bit expensive in my opinion. 14.10 OTR price for base model would have been pretty good.
Why is that so? The 2 cars are in different segments catering to different needs. Why will they price the Jetta in respect to the Vento. They priced it well enough to compete with its rival the Laura.

14.10L OTR for the base model! you are joking right? Or did you seriously expected the pricing for the Diesel Jetta to start from 12L ex-showroom?

Quote:
Renault is an unknown brand in India with a very limited number of dealers. The car is a bare bones and comparing with it even the Jetta base model looks awesome.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:21   #39
Team-BHP Support

This car will look good even 10 years now - such is the timeless design, especially the rear.

The interiors of the Indian version seems to have dollops of beige and a splash of fake wood! I have only seen full black interiors on UK and US versions.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 22:31   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This car will look good even 10 years now - such is the timeless design, especially the rear.

The interiors of the Indian version seems to have dollops of beige and a splash of fake wood! I have only seen full black interiors on UK and US versions.
I hate those wood inserts. Why are they so hell bent on forcing those upon us? Do we Indians love fake wood so much? Atleast they should introduce a little darker shade. The new colour of fake wood in the new Altis looks amazing. Maybe VW could have offered something on those lines too!
Old 17th August 2011, 22:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why is that so? The 2 cars are in different segments catering to different needs. Why will they price the Jetta in respect to the Vento. They priced it well enough to compete with its rival the Laura.

14.10L OTR for the base model! you are joking right? Or did you seriously expected the pricing for the Diesel Jetta to start from 12L ex-showroom?
The pricing is all right if you benchmark it against the competition. But on a different note is this car worth 1.5 times the Vento. Sure it has got a bigger & better engine, more space and everything a segment above, but asking a 5L premium is a bit high. But what can you say, Skoda pricing is similar.

Leave out the underpowered Altis. The Cruze is a much better FVM. Had it offered better interior quality and a bit more space, it could have taken the winds away from VW & Skoda's sails. Not that it havent.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:54   #42
BHPian

The new Vento looks very good. Nothing flashy, but it will definitely age well. I particularly love the Audi like tail. The interiors look high quality and way more spacious than the outgoing model. Good job VW and a good price!
Old 17th August 2011, 23:45   #43
BHPian

I was waiting for this car from such a long time !! its a decent looking car but the sad part is that they have the A/T only in the highline version and that would be around 21-22 OTR in Hydeabad (Laura L&k is for around 22l).I guess i will wait for the upgraded Cruze which i think would be more value for money (current Cruze A/T is for around 17l in hyd)
Old 18th August 2011, 00:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
I was waiting for this car from such a long time !! its a decent looking car but the sad part is that they have the A/T only in the highline version and that would be around 21-22 OTR in Hydeabad (Laura L&k is for around 22l).I guess i will wait for the upgraded Cruze which i think would be more value for money (current Cruze A/T is for around 17l in hyd)
I feel Cruze with reworked rear seat and Z-series engine would be a much better car as an overall package. And the M/T would be getting a 6 speed tranny if I heard it right.
Old 18th August 2011, 00:37   #45
Team-BHP Support

I think there is climate control on the highline, see the pictures on the website. If there isn't then I am just shocked. Earlier today I was shocked at Skoda for the excuse of an RS, and now at VW for the Jetta.

At the same price as the Laura L&K I don't see why anyone would buy it. Honestly the DRLs on the Laura look cooler, its got 12 speakers vs 8 of the Jetta, real leather vs leatherette, and adaptive xenons vs halogens. The only + of the Jetta is paddle shift.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks