Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 13:19   #61
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

The front suspension of the New Jetta is "Coil Spring with shock absorbers and suspension stabilizer" and not the one in Laura - "McPherson suspension with lower triangular links and torsion stabiliser". McPherson suspension for the front, I thought, was standard across almost all cars

Can folks please give their views on the pluses and minuses of this different front suspension of the new Jetta vis-a-vis the standard McPherson suspension? And official TBHP reviewers may give their opinion after driving the new Jetta.

Many thanks!

Last edited by diffsoft : 18th August 2011 at 13:20.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
What are those ugly AC knobs??? I think they have a non climate control ac on the highline !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think there is climate control on the highline, see the pictures on the website. If there isn't then I am just shocked.
Here is some information I found on the 'Climatic' AC. Even in the UK, 'Climate Control' is a £ 650 option.

Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 1779
Size:  133.4 KB

VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.-picture-3.png

Source:
New cars : Volkswagen UK
Old 18th August 2011, 13:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Here is some information I found on the 'Climatic' AC. Even in the UK, 'Climate Control' is a £ 650 option.

Attachment 594985

Attachment 594986

Source:
New cars : Volkswagen UK
I dont understand why they would do such a thing on a highline !! No Automatic Climate Control is shocking !!
In any case, i feel a Superb with DSG is a much better option. The difference in on road prices between the 2 is around a Lakh in Delhi and the Superb is certainly a car that has every feature one can think off.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 14:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The difference in on road prices between the 2 is around a Lakh in Delhi and the Superb is certainly a car that has every feature one can think off
Except that the price quoted is for a petrol engine and not a diesel engine. The Diesel superb is something where one thinks about an Audi/BMW or a C Class.

The pricing is not with respect to any other cars is what i feel. The pricing is directly in comparison and competetion to the Skoda Series.

Just the mindset to buy a Jetta over a laura will be a little more tilted towards a Jetta. But mind it that not everyone look and find the exact difference between the two cars but just pick for name and brand.

Only few of us go into details before picking the one we want
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 15:38   #65
BHPian

VW INDIA is getting cocky. First they raise the price of the Vento by 30+ grand and then they strip features from it!!

Then, they launch an 18 Lakh car without Climate Control when even the swift comes with it!!!
Old 18th August 2011, 15:53   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are those ugly AC knobs??? I think they have a non climate control ac on the highline !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Taken from the official website -

Attachment 594540

Looks like one has to be very careful while driving the Jetta on a bumper-filled road. Better plan your route first before taking the car out on the roads.
Indeed. The lack of climatronic & 139 mm GC is shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
That was only till they discontinued the 1.9 TDI motor in the Laura sometime in April. Post that the manual and the DSG gearbox equipped Laura come with the same 2.0 motor in identical tune.
Nope, the Laura diesel MT still gets about 30 horses less than the DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The honda civic may have better GC but it will scrape more roads than the Jetta with 154mm GC. All comes to the suspension set up of this car.
That, and the long wheelbase of the Civic.

Quote:
Its over 6 months of ownership and i can vouch that 154 mm is very much enough with that suspension set up.
Varies from car to car, really. Even my C220 has <150 mm of ground clearance, yet doesn't scrape anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Coming from Innova, 139mm GC will appear to me as sitting right on the tarmac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Sharing components leads to cutting costs through economies of scale and protecting margins
I can assure you that the similar looks do NOT result in any part sharing, design wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Do you really think Civic is spacious?
The Civic is the most spacious car in its segment, along with the Altis. Sit in the Civic, Altis, Cruze & Laura - back to back - and come back to update us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Renault is a good buy if you want to be chaufered and/or more concerned with FE.
I would disagree. If you are only bothered with the backseat, nothing beats the Altis D4-D...1.4L engine be damned. There's ample room, the ride is nice, and the seat is perfectly contoured for chauffeur-driven comfort.

But then, why even spend 14 lakhs? Just buy a Manza diesel and enjoy the supreme comfort levels.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:00   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont understand why they would do such a thing on a highline !! No Automatic Climate Control is shocking !!
In any case, i feel a Superb with DSG is a much better option. The difference in on road prices between the 2 is around a Lakh in Delhi and the Superb is certainly a car that has every feature one can think off.
Yup without sounding rude you must do some research or write the full detail. Otherwise it looks very distorting and affects everyone's views. We can't compare a Petrol car with a Diesel car. Petrol Superb with dsg will return a FE of 6-8 I am guessing in city traffic. There are not many people around who can live with that comfortably.

Man this is becoming confusing. I am going to hop in to VW showroom in the evening and get some clarifications:
1. Automatic AC
2. GC of 139 mm.
Both the issues can be deal breakers for me atleast. I dont feel VW will make such a big goof up of giving manual AC in the Jetta. I sincerely hope its an error on the website regarding both the things. Even highline mentions only climatic AC. VW wake up!

Last edited by drmohitg : 18th August 2011 at 16:03.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Manza does not have the snob value of a Altis/Cruze/Laura/Fluence. If space was everything, every chaufeer driven car in the country would have been Indigo XL. While i agree that Altis is probably the pick for chauffer driven car in C+ segment, i found Fluence to have equal space & comfort at the back.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Except that the price quoted is for a petrol engine and not a diesel engine. The Diesel superb is something where one thinks about an Audi/BMW or a C Class.

The pricing is not with respect to any other cars is what i feel. The pricing is directly in comparison and competetion to the Skoda Series.

Just the mindset to buy a Jetta over a laura will be a little more tilted towards a Jetta. But mind it that not everyone look and find the exact difference between the two cars but just pick for name and brand.

Only few of us go into details before picking the one we want
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yup without sounding rude you must do some research or write the full detail. Otherwise it looks very distorting and affects everyone's views. We can't compare a Petrol car with a Diesel car. Petrol Superb with dsg will return a FE of 6-8 I am guessing in city traffic. There are not many people around who can live with that comfortably.

Man this is becoming confusing. I am going to hop in to VW showroom in the evening and get some clarifications:
1. Automatic AC
2. GC of 139 mm.
Both the issues can be deal breakers for me atleast. I dont feel VW will make such a big goof up of giving manual AC in the Jetta. I sincerely hope its an error on the website regarding both the things. Even highline mentions only climatic AC. VW wake up!

Sir, first of all i was talking about the diesel superb and not a TSI Superb.
Also please have a look at the launch image of the car, you will see a highline with the manual ac knobs !!
I just checked the Skoda website, they do indeed sell a diesel superb with dsg !! I was doubting myself for a minute

Please be specific as to how i have distorted information?

Last edited by nik_kapur : 18th August 2011 at 16:19.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:30   #70
Team-BHP Support

I think the most likely reason for 139 mm ground clearance is printing mistake in the brochure. If you look at the pics on the first page, you can see that the tyres don't fill up the wheel arches properly - the suspension seems to be raised.

That's the problem with using CTRL C/ CTRL V too often!

Anyway, if the suspension is stiffly setup and since the front/rear overhangs are not very substantial, there should be no scraping issues even with 139 mm ground clearance.

When will the official Jetta test drive & review appear on Team-BHP?
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 16:32   #71
BANNED

a laura in bombay is 18 laks and that too has the same controls for AC people are buying it. a city also same thing costs over 11 laks but no auto ac. people in india arent really that demanding i feel. they just have money to throw around.
Old 18th August 2011, 16:40   #72
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the car and compared to my 2009 Jetta DSG, it was apparant few areas have been compromised if it was done for better or worst I am not sure of but my car has these wonderful cup holders with a convienent bottle opener which acts as a partition has been useful often, also seats feel harder as now they use leatherette compared to fine leather in my car, also a few things like heated seats, dual zone ac and alarm have been deleted but honestly speaking none of this matters as the better areas have been improved upon and the electric seats are a welcome and so is the engine and the overall look of the car feels a lot better,

My only gripe is they removed the leather seats, or else I think if I was in a market for this segment there is nothing else I would consider as things like dual zone ac etc I have never found them useful, nor does it matter for me to set my temperature manually and the controls are not as bad as one might expect, they did not have a TD car yet but once they do and I get a spin will give you a better report but as of now I would give it 8.5/10 for the entire package offered and visually I don't know why they took a step back and added the wood trim and removed the black interior which was an option earlier?

Am also glad they kept the sporty seats in it as I always have loved them in my Jetta.

Regards,
Old 18th August 2011, 17:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can assure you that the similar looks do NOT result in any part sharing, design wise.
Similar looks and same dimensions are done mostly to allow sharing of components. At first glance the Vento and the Jetta can share Headlight assembly , ORVM , door handles, front grille including the fog lamps - applying economies of scale can help squeeze out costs.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:46   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Similar looks and same dimensions are done mostly to allow sharing of components.
Wrong. The primary reason is branding & maintaining a family look. And this is something most automotive brands are moving to.

Quote:
At first glance the Vento and the Jetta can share Headlight assembly , ORVM , door handles, front grille including the fog lamps
No chance. Don't go by pictures. Check them out in person and you'll see differences in size, among other things.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:52   #75
BHPian

OK, i just bought the Laura elegance AT last month and when i heard about the new jetta highline DSG being priced just 1.4 lakhs higher i gotta admit i did feel little queasy!!!
Should i have waited? Am i going start looking at other jettas thinking 'WHAT IF"..

After a little bit of research i'd have to say NO!! And here's why..

1) I really like the laura's looks. It has this bold and muscular stance. I have nothing against the jetta's looks but i already have a vento in my garage and i wouldnt want my new car to look like a BIG DADDY VENTO!
2) The laura is a little more compact in size (which was my requirement given the traffic conditions i drive in)
3) Conspicuous difference in GC (if that wasn't a typo!)
4) Leather seats, Auto climate control, and slightly better interiors.
5) I got features like rain sensors, rear parktronics with animated display, heated seats, auto dimming rear and sider mirrors even in my elegance model.

The only thing the jetta offers that i would desperately love to have is the MFSW with paddles!!

So today if i had that extra 1.5 lks i would still probably go for a laura L&k instead of a jetta. Then again, this is just me putting my two cents in...

But i gotta admit that they have priced the car quite competitively and the VW fans have enough reasons to be excited with this launch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks