Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 15:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yup thats true. But you can either be practical or act royal, have high principles and stay car-less. Agree with me or not but this plagues all the car companies across all the segments. I cannot talk about the cars upwards of 30L as I have never dealt with them. Till that mark everyone is the same. When there product sells and people come to them asking about it they all act like GOD. The same people will run behind you with a million courtesy calls and throw in freebies and discounts when the car is not selling. Its not fair but its what happens in our market. So if you want to single out VW for it and bash it here you are welcome to. The truth is customer is still treated the same everywhere. It just depends on what car you are looking at.

ps: Just ask the same SA about a Petrol AT Vento and see his tone and mannerisms change in no time!
I am not bashing VW at all. They have some brilliant products. And when we were hatch shopping for my wife, we had an awesome experience with the Polo. And your statement about SA behaviour relating to sales performance is true generally, though not at all in this case. Its not as if Jetta has had the same reception as the Swift or Verna, so why the attitude.
Old 19th August 2011, 15:48   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I am not bashing VW at all. They have some brilliant products. And when we were hatch shopping for my wife, we had an awesome experience with the Polo. And your statement about SA behaviour relating to sales performance is true generally, though not at all in this case. Its not as if Jetta has had the same reception as the Swift or Verna, so why the attitude.
The reception for Jetta has been good when you compare it with intended sales volumes. It was never meant to garner 50k pre-launch bookings. So the SA might have taken the liberty to badge the car as a success and hence the attitude thrown at you. And yes you cant rule out the possibility of him being an arrogant monkey anyways in daily life. Ultimately the customer has to bear the brunt.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:08   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If he is throwing attitude, why should i spend my hard earned money to buy their car. Its not as if it's diamond studded or something
If you like the car and you know its "The" car you wanted i would share my heart felt feelings with the SA and GM letting them know what they are running and still get the car. Because my relationship with the SA is so short lived that i would not let that ruin my relationship with the car which will be far longer.

For some of us owning a car is a relationship. I couldnt even sell my old swift to an outside. Sold it to my relative and i know i can see the car every other weekend. But i may be crazy

Last edited by VW2010 : 19th August 2011 at 17:09.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 19:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that Cruze has got the killer pricing in this segment. And it shows in there monthly sales too. But its too short on interior space. I could just not make myself comfortable in the car. If you can look beyond that then no doubt that Cruze is way more VFM then anyother C+/D segment offering!
Another point many may disagree with me, the VW generally better handler than Chevrolet. Cruze is not a bad handler but it is not in the league of Laura or Civic. Even the Vento handles better and so I expect the Jetta to be even better. Making it one more reason to choose Jetta over Cruze.

But personally the Jetta is too sober and decent for my taste. And Cruze makes it look overpriced. But very true - the rear seat is a deal breaker.
Old 19th August 2011, 20:25   #110
BHPian

Nice write-up on Jetta launch. This beauty is a great combination of pleasure, performance and price. This car is much better looking than the outgoing model. Its high time VW should add more dealers and improve their A.S.S.
Old 21st August 2011, 00:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

Today got a sneak peak at the New Jetta...Having the 2010 Jetta here are my views. These are my personal views and could obviously be biased because i have the old jetta. Will try to keep it in a way it is neutral

First look - Standing next to Vento one can easilly see that the car looks a little bigger and bulkier, only on close inspection. The rear almost feels like vento if not for the beautiful Audi tail lights. In a way check the three cars and one can definitely see the similarities in lots of angle. The tail light makes it look definitely like Audi.

From the front the car looks like Passat. A meatier and broader Vento but definitely closer to the passat. The looks are strikingly similar to any of the VW lineup of cars(2011 that is)

Doors - The doors have the exact feeling of chunkiness. The distinctive THUD when you close and the sudden elimination from the surrounding is very evident in the new car. The doors feel heavy and re-assuring.

Seats - The seats are very comfortable. The front seats feel like leather but you know it is not. The beige is not exactly similar to the old Jetta beige but looks and feels good. Makes the car definitely spacious. The car comes with the electronically adjustable seats and feels home coming from the 2010 jetta. May be the sports seat from the old jetta is slightly modified to help with movement.

Rear Seats - Rear seats are very spacious. Will the front seats fully backwards i am 6'1 and i had enough space in front of me and between my knees and the seat. The rear seats feel firm and getting inside was not a problem. Getting out was neither. The seats will definitely be good for long journeys.

View, visibility and other features are almost similar to the old Jetta.

Changes i could notice from the 2010 jetta. Here i may get biased. Bear with me.

1) The door plastics and the overall interior feels definitely localized and not upto the 2010 Standards. The rear door feels almost swiftish(i had a swift) and not Jettaish. The door grip and the way the plastics feel are almost like the vento. A bit harder is what i felt.

2) The front doors felt far more sturdier and yet the interior plastic felt definitely different if not cost cutting.

3) The center arm rest loses the frontward movement and to position oneself comfortably to keep our elbows. This may be because the car is still under PDI and i just got a sneak peak and the may have not set up some of the items. But currently feels like the old leather covered center arm rest is history and the smaller center arm rest is going to be the face of the jetta. It does have an audio jack.

4) Glove box- A huge surprise here. The welcrow that was used in the 2010 jetta has vanished and now the glove box feels very cheap and not Jettaish. More like Swiftish because i am pampered with some class in those areas and now i see bare plastic/fiber in the glove box. Also the softer ride the glove box had in 2010 feels a little more rigid.

5) Plastics in the roof - The switches have changed and definitely there is no big difference in the plastics used. But the switches feel localized definitely compared to the old jetta.

6) Dash board - The dash has undergone a lot of change. Feels the dash is now tucked in and moved a little inward. The AC vents are now a little larger(is what i felt) and and the climatronic buttons are no longer visible. The dash definitely feels more like what we see in a city or a civic where there is more space created by reducing the curvature of the dash. Thats the exact feeling i had sitting inside the car. Even the Hazard button feels a bit lower in quality and smaller.

7) The instrument panel looks suddenly small. No big surprise here. But just an observation. No Climatronics and we are back to simple manual switches for temperature, position and fan speed.

8) Steering is exactly like the old jetta. Feels very comfortable in hands.

9) What i saw was MT highline. The 6 speed gear shift is same as the 5 speed except that it has the 6th gear

10) Wheels are sexy and the tires are almost similar.

Coming to the interesting part.

The GC is 139 as given in the site. But the look of it doesnt feel like its 139. It stands tall and has enough clearance from the ground. The car sits as tall as the old jetta if not taller and doesnt feel like its 139. The suspension was also set stiffer and the mechanics have not even started inspecting them. Currently the first feeling i got from seeing the car was the GC should not be a problem if the car holds the weight without wilting.

The Euro switch has the chrome or silver outline.

Overall i felt happy that 2010 jetta felt far more value for the money i paid but i would say i have no other choice now

Forgive me if i have been to biased. But this is just a sneak peak and not test drive. A feedback for possible buyers on what i thought comparing with my Jetta.

Last edited by VW2010 : 21st August 2011 at 00:45.
VW2010 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 03:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When there product sells and people come to them asking about it they all act like GOD. The same people will run behind you with a million courtesy calls and throw in freebies and discounts when the car is not selling.
------------------
ps: Just ask the same SA about a Petrol AT Vento and see his tone and mannerisms change in no time!
+1
It seems to happen all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The GC is 139 as given in the site. But the look of it doesnt feel like its 139. It stands tall and has enough clearance from the ground. The car sits as tall as the old jetta if not taller and doesnt feel like its 139. The suspension was also set stiffer and the mechanics have not even started inspecting them. Currently the first feeling i got from seeing the car was the GC should not be a problem if the car holds the weight without wilting.
Thanks for the report @VW2010.

139mm really does sound very low for a car which is long.

Given the remarks above, I really wonder how the Jetta would ride. It may be too harsh. Any thoughts?
Old 21st August 2011, 11:58   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Today got a sneak peak at the New Jetta...Having the 2010 Jetta here are my views. These are my personal views and could obviously be biased because i have the old jetta. Will try to keep it in a way it is neutral
Thanks VW2010 for the comparison. I did not find any bias towards the 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010
First look - Standing next to Vento one can easily see that the car looks a little bigger and bulkier, only on close inspection. The rear almost feels like Vento if not for the beautiful Audi tail lights. In a way check the three cars and one can definitely see the similarities in lots of angle. The tail light makes it look definitely like Audi.
From the front the car looks like Passat. A meatier and broader Vento but definitely closer to the passat. The looks are strikingly similar to any of the VW lineup of cars(2011 that is)
They are over-doing the family look a bit too much. Just one point is that, I found the Jetta a bit more proportionate than the Passat.

Quote:
Seats - The seats are very comfortable. The front seats feel like leather but you know it is not.
This is one glaring omission. Atleast on the highline, they should have provided real leather seats. But on second thoughts, many manufacturers state that the car has leather seats, but it could be leatherette. I read in some other thread that, even some patterns from Stanley leather seats have real leather only on seat areas where there is direct contact to body. Atleast no false claims here.

Quote:
Dash board - The dash has undergone a lot of change.
Does your Jetta have wood inserts in the dash. I found the wood trim an eye-sore in the new one.
Old 21st August 2011, 12:07   #114
BHPian

I was quite surprised by the seeming lack of enthusiasm from the general public to go see the display Jetta at Downtown VW, Bangalore yesterday; For a Saturday, I was the only one who was looking at the Jetta.
A couple of others in the showroom were looking at Polos and Ventos.

I had to do a more detailed scan before I flagged the Toffee Braun Jetta Highline AT standing next to the Passat.

The family look does cause some confusion in that sense, but when you look at the Jetta, you cannot really mistake it for a Vento. It does look properly positioned between the larger and longer Passat and the distinctly more down-market Vento. Thank goodness for that!

The new Braun, or brown, is a colour that looks good in the flesh; I had imagined a more Matto (Yeti) type of shade, and thankfully, this is more solid and mature.

On the outside, the new Navarro alloys are striking, if a little small. With a chrome and black/grey scheme, they are smart. The wheel well is still slightly under-filled, especially if you look at the same R16 tyre size on the earlier Jetta parked behind it.

The front headlamp cluster looks similar to the Vento, but with a dual parabolic design and blacked-out bits, you cannot confuse the two.
DRLs are parking lights in my opinion. The fact that they are regular yellow bulbs rather than even an LED or two does not help.

Fog lamps come on with the turn indicator (cornering function) and is similar to the Yeti. This is new, i think.

The overall shape is pleasing, and you cannot go wrong if you are looking for a mature sedan that should age gracefully. You will not mistake this for a Vento, side-by-side.

The tail-lights look good, but again, the lack of LEDs robs it of a sparkle that you see on higher end cars like the BMWs and Mercs, and it could have easily (but more expensively) had. When lit up, there is a "L" shape visble, but its not great, and has no depth.

Open the driver side door, and you are struck by the fairly low seating. This is possible to correct using the electric adjustments for the driver seat. The passenger side gets manual goodies only. However, I would have thought that there needed to be a couple of memory positions to store the setting you arrive at.

Controls fall easily to hand, and the multi-function steering wheel is smart. Peeping behind it are two discreet paddles for the DSG. There is the usual stalk arrangement, with the addition of cruise control.

However, once again, you pay for a wheel with phone controls, and VW refuses to allow an integrated BT connection via the Bolero (RCD 510) head unit. It is not even an option.

I wonder why they think that a feature like this should be reserved only for the Passats and Superbs, when in all likelihood, those are cars that have you sitting in the back and able to make and take calls normally. It is the self-driven mid-level executive types that need this phone integration.

A nice addition for this variant is the Multi-device interface in the glove box that will allow a direct connection ( and charging I should think) for an iPod like device. The glove box is lockable, and comes with the usual manuals including for phone integration (that you cant buy!)

The Bolero system is its usual competent self, though pressing the phone button on steering and HU and being limited in function to muting the music seems to be an expensive way to pay for features you don't get.

You pull the door shut, and while the reassuring thunk is evident, so is the awful plastic moulding lines on the handle. It looks badly made, and is evident on the rear doors as well. Then there is the faux wood insert.. I guess that is meant to go with the overly beige colour scheme.

Look around and you begin to notice other disconcerting details, and it also helps that you can scoot across to the earlier generation car for a direct comparison.

One sees that interior surveillance has disappeared. Ditto the climatronic. The HVAC unit looks cheap for the price. The adjustable (height and reach) armrest with cooling has also exited stage left. In its place is a static flip top armrest that basically functions as a lid. The glove box and door pockets do not have their usual felt lining anymore.

Auto-dimming rear view mirrors seems to be constrained to the interior one only. External ones look a little tiny for the size of this car, but are electrically adjustable and fold-able. I do not think they fold automatically when you switch off, though.

Also missing, footwell lights, and puddle lights. It does have illuminated vanity mirrors on both visors.

The driver seat is supportive enough, but this light shade of beige is going to be a mess to keep clean. And it is not leather. While there are only two pedals, given the car was a 6 speed DSG auto, the dead-pedal is a sliver of a footrest, and not very adequate in my opinion.

The gear-shift lever itself looks puny and not very inspired. The manual stick is much better looking. I guess with the flappy-paddles, one will stick to steering mounted shifts as far as possible to prevent dealing with this limp shifter the Jetta is saddled with. Comparisons to the Skoda autos come to mind, and your estimation of this VW goes down a notch.

The rear bench is par for course, with the usual 60:40 split and pass-though armrest with cupholders. Leg-room is good, and this is a big score up from the older generation. At 6'2", the seat up front does not need to be set all the way back, and there is no awkward folding of legs at the rear as a result.

Rear seats do not fold down very flat, though, so additional utility of this is questionable. Add to this an arched, window-type of bulkhead between the seats and the boot, and its not a very contiguous piece of real estate.
And again, the beige parcel shelf, mats, seats, headlining and more to keep clean. And no mats as standard, either!

The boot pops all the way up when you pull on the release by the driver's door. Goose-neck hinges make their appearance rather than the earlier articulated ones that folded flat out of the way. Expect some fouling with the more vertically stacked luggage items in the boot. One hinge is clad in plastic ( to shield cables running to lights in the boot lid), the other is bare metal.

Also visible, two tabs at the upper lip of the boot opening to pull and flip the seats forward from the boot itself. Useful as a thought.

The boot is suitably big, and a look underfloor reveals the steel wheel rather than the spare alloy that resided in the earlier Jetta.

You get a twin tip exhaust, and the engine bay is clean and free of visual clutter. Ground clearance seems to be around 15 mm less than earlier, but visually not so discernible between old and new generations.

The display car was shod with Goodyear rubber.

Test-drives begin when a test vehicle arrives, and that is next month.
If one has more than 20 big ones to spare in Bangalore, this is a (visually, primarily, with a critical performance mod in form of the 2.0L, 138 horse engine) updated alternative to the Laura and the likes of the Altis and Civic.

Net-net, I think the brand and the fact that you get stuff like Paddle-shift, front and rear parking sensors, nifty alloys and a more modern car will swing many buyers who did not know, or will not care, about the lack of a damped glove box, felt lining, leather seats or limited auto-dimming rear view mirror capability.

When the demo vehicles comes out, and when TeamBHP editorial talent get their review out, we should have a more rounded assessment of how this new Jetta stacks up against its previous generation and the competition.
crackingride is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 12:17   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Today got a sneak peak at the New Jetta.
==========
Forgive me if i have been to biased. But this is just a sneak peak and not test drive. A feedback for possible buyers on what i thought comparing with my Jetta.
I too feel we are a bit short changed comparing to the old Jetta. How i wish Volks had given us the old Jetta with the newly tuned engine and mechanicals, and the new exterior design.....

I on the first hand decided to go for the JETTA not for the premium tag attached to it, but the premium feel. If that's not there, why pay more for less? If the inside do not feel as rich or plush as the old model, its a big let down for the fans, especially people like me who have waited for over 9 months to lay hands on the new model ever since it was on display at Florida.

So the plastics do look and feel as if they are well and truly localized, right? No soft touch plastics nor the fine grained look and feel?

I talked to a SE an he claims that the GC of 139 is what Volkswagen calls minimum. ie., with maximum load the car wont go lower than 139. At kerb weight, though, the GC remains at 154mm. But it sounds weird and i am not going to read too much into those words. Just an subsequent attempt by a SE to shows bad specs in a good light.

The car is ready and on display at the Cochin showroom and we are off in an hour or so to have a first hand exp, though not a TD yet.
Old 21st August 2011, 13:04   #116
BHPian

@crackingride I expected LEDs up front for the DRLs and for the tail lights as well? Is my expectation unjustified in a 16 lakh + car?? How real is the possibility of getting after market LEDs for the same?

Also, it beats me why have phone controls on the steering if you are not allowed bluetooth integration? Does that mean one can connect the phone via cable, or what? Everything you say is trying hard to point out how much better appointed was the earlier Jetta in comparison with the new. If you were out shopping for a new car right now, would you choose the earlier trendline or the new trendline/comfortline? I am looking for a car that would pamper me for 15 odd lakhs, and i was totally fixed on a volks till now. I was smitten with the luxury offered in the old car and the looks of the new car, i waited all this while to get the old wine in a new bottle and am bitterly disappointed .

Would someone be able to advise me on the wisest course ahead. Would I be able to get the creature comforts of the comfortline aftermarket in the trendline as i feel paying over a lakh more is too much. But i also got the prices for just the fog lamps of the Jetta and was dumbfounded. It costs somewhere in the range of 25,000 Rs. Leather seats are gonna cost 40k, and there is no way to get the auto dimming mirrors or chrome inside and outside bits even if one wanted...
Old 21st August 2011, 14:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Are the plastic panels that bad compared to the old Jetta? I guess next week will take my car and compare side by side, also I do not think the localisation is that high but I could be wrong, and are the tail lights not LED? I am pretty sure the one I have 1.9TDI 2009 model has led tail lights,

Regards
Old 21st August 2011, 14:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does your Jetta have wood inserts in the dash. I found the wood trim an eye-sore in the new one.
Nope. But the new Jetta dash looks different. And the wood inserts sits well on it. I personally feel the dash to mimic some of the japanese cars. A honda or a toyota is what it feels like on the first look. Even the shape.

Quote:
Given the remarks above, I really wonder how the Jetta would ride. It may be too harsh. Any thoughts?
We need to wait for the test drives. But i dont really see any major difference in the ride quality. It may be better for all the good reasons.

Quote:
Also, it beats me why have phone controls on the steering if you are not allowed bluetooth integration? Does that mean one can connect the phone via cable, or what? Everything you say is trying hard to point out how much better appointed was the earlier Jetta in comparison with the ne
Actually the 2010 or 2011 Jetta needs a blue tooth module which alone costs around 300 USD and in india they charge almost 35K. The car is sold with this module in US and people have even upgraded their Bluetooth kit to 9w7 (vs 9w3). THe kit sits under the seat in the US cars or the euro cars.

Quote:
So the plastics do look and feel as if they are well and truly localized, right? No soft touch plastics nor the fine grained look and feel?
If you have not got used to the 2010 model, you may never know if the plastics are cheaper. As i said its a direct comparison. The plastics feel a little harder. Specially the door handles and the overall feel when you sit inside the car.

Quote:
. Would I be able to get the creature comforts of the comfortline aftermarket in the trendline as i feel paying over a lakh more is too much.
Depends on what is extra in either of them. The previous generation Jetta 2010 had some features in comfortline that was well worth paying the extra for me.

In 2011 jetta these are the additions that could see from the website.

1) Front fogs (Not really sure if this helps majorly)
2) Chrome inserts in grill (I guess one can decorate the grill with after market chrome strips)
3) CHrome Interior package
4) Decorative wood inserts.
5) Rear centre armrest
6) Auto dimming interior mirror
7) Multi-function display "Plus"
8) Leatherette upholstery
9)Light & sight package with rain sensor
10) Park distance control (front & rear) with acoustic warning
11) Exterior mirrors, electrically adjustable, foldable and heated
12) "RCD 300 Plus" music system with CD player, Aux-in & 8 speakers
13) Multi-function steering wheel with control for MFD, audio system

So you have to answer if these difference warrant the price difference

For me the biggest difference that made me go for Comfortline 2010 was having more air bags, RCD510, CLimatronics, ESP, ASR, Anti Theft feature, leather seats and few more. In fact i paid around 18L and nothing more for all these features.

I checked the comfortline 2010 model price yesterday and i was quoted 19.45L. I am already smiling that i made a killing buy before the price rise.

At the end of the day my feedback will always compare it with my current car.

Will my feedback be different if i saw this car for the first time? I am absolutely sure it will be.

Quote:
@crackingride I expected LEDs up front for the DRLs and for the tail lights as well? Is my expectation unjustified in a 16 lakh + car?? How real is the possibility of getting after market LEDs for the same?
LED shouldnt be a deal breaker. I do not have DRL's though my tail lights are one of my favorite from any cars.(Audi - DRL's, BMW Headlights(Genious i say), Audi Tail and 2010 VW Tails)

And please do remember, these are German cars. THe moment you are going to cut any of the wires outside authorized service centre you WILL lose your warranty. There is no point go for after market lights in your new Jetta unless you want to void your warranty.

Quote:
Are the plastic panels that bad compared to the old Jetta? I guess next week will take my car and compare side by side, also I do not think the localisation is that high but I could be wrong, and are the tail lights not LED? I am pretty sure the one I have 1.9TDI 2009 model has led tail lights,
The tail lights are not LED like the 2009 model. And if you have an old jetta you will definitely feel the difference in plastic quality.

Last edited by VW2010 : 21st August 2011 at 14:07.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:07   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Everything you say is trying hard to point out how much better appointed was the earlier Jetta in comparison with the new. If you were out shopping for a new car right now, would you choose the earlier trendline or the new trendline/comfortline?
The level of quality in the earlier Jetta was better. In that sense, it was over-engineered for its target market segment. There is cost cutting going on in the new generation. However, we are getting a largely Euro spec version here, and not a US version, which is truly dumbed down.

Because of the savings in some places, VW is now able to offer a DSG and paddle-shift and a larger, more refined engine with most of the earlier bells and whistles, all clad in a new body style.

So unless you want a smaller car with an, older gen, 110bhp engine and no provision for an auto box, then I think the current versions are good 'value' for roughly the same ball-park prices (+ one / two Lakh or so).

I think the new Comfortline is a decently specced mid-range piece of kit.

As for what I am shopping for, its a toss up between a Yeti and a Jett(i), both in top spec.

Last edited by crackingride : 22nd August 2011 at 12:08.
crackingride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:17   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post

There is nothing 'localised' about this Jetta. As before, it is a CKD unit manufactured and shipped from Mexico.

The dash still has soft-touch slush-moulded manufacture: it is below-the-sight-line plastic bits that have lost some of their premium attention to detail.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks