Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 23:41   #166
BHPian

Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The New Jetta review from Autocar India. Something to chew on until we get the official review
Volkswagen Jetta review by Autocar India - YouTube
Thanks for this. Looks like all our Team BHP reviewers have on a long vacation
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 23:54   #167
BHPian

The front end looks a bit too much like the vento/polo for my liking. Personally, I hate family resemblance that manufacturers have come up with. See how all the audi's and bmw's have ended up looking the same.

Going to reserve my opinions about the rest of the car till I test drive one.
Old 27th August 2011, 02:18   #168
BHPian

Thanks Vb-san and nurni76 for the video. Went through it eagerly but as mohit said, grossly inadequate. And the lady finds the plastics in the cabin to be superlative! Maybe she got paid? And no mention of the GC here either. The DRLs at last i got to look at them! The European Jetta gets a qhite DRl, but our Jetta comes with teh low rent dull yellow lighting!

I went to EVM and got to see and feel a white and a silver comfortline. No TD yet. And no cash discounts except for the 15000 corporate discount, if only i can produce IMA membership certificate! But i am getting a chunky cash off on the insurance when I threatened them with going out shopping for insurance. They would not reduce a single penny from the 5000 they take for "handling charges" and 450 for the registration. Guys, what do you think. Nice offer?

@jkdas, what is the best price EVM Tvm are offering for the comforline?

@Rameshdude, there is a sudden high demand for the old trendlines shored up here at EVM Cochin. Everyone going to see teh new Jetta invariably end up stealing a final look at the Black old trendline at the corner, and finding it much better VFM, they go for it instead. When i visited them on Sunday morning for a sneak peep of the new Jetta, they had 5 trendlines, and he was offering me 1.5 lakh discount. But as you said, they have only 1 left, and i guess the discount also has come down. Well what was the best price you got for the new one?
Old 27th August 2011, 11:26   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Went through it eagerly but as mohit said, grossly inadequate. And the lady finds the plastics in the cabin to be superlative! Maybe she got paid? And no mention of the GC here either.
In my first test drive of the new Jetta DSG a couple of days ago (as mentioned in my post was a very small drive) we were 5 adults in the car and some decently sized speadbreakers were taken at a speed of 10-15 km/h by my dad who is used to the old Corrolla GC. I was thinking it is definitely going to scrape and closed my eyes. But it didn't. Seems to be decent. Don't go by just what is on paper. Just try it out.
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 13:06   #170
BHPian

Overall, I feel VW has highly over priced the Highline AT at 17.86 lakhs. Bangalore's excessive road tax also does not help.

But it's surprising that VW has left out auto climate control while putting in too many airbags (8).

While I do not see any function for DRLs the LED DRLs look better than halogen and consume far less battery / energy. In fact to the halogen DRLs look cheap.

All-in-all I am convinced that the New Jetta is more a branding device for "superior German engineering" and it may end up giving a boost to Laura sales by lifting its relative value.

Cheers,
Old 27th August 2011, 14:04   #171
Senior - BHPian

Here is the link to ACI's Test Drive Report of the VW Jetta:

2011 VW Jetta review, test drive Review

As per them the car is spacious & good on bad roads (though the stiffness of the suspension is evident on bad roads at slow speeds). The steering is very good but, seems lesser communicative...

...overall a good car, though the absence of petrol unit is seemingly strange IMO.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:55   #172
BHPian

Already posted this on the new car thread, but no response so far, hence i thought maybe I'd try it here.

Mods, sorry if its not apt to be here. Please delete if so.

Friends, I need some help in haggling for that killer price on the new Jetta, so that at least I have the peace of mind of paying less for less. The new model being such a downgrade of last year's Jetta.

I am looking at the comfortline which strangely comes at an ex-showroom price of 15,53,624 Rs here in Kerala which is a whopping 15k increase over the Delhi price where as the trendline comes at 14,13,924 Rs which is only 2000 Rs more than Delhi price list. Could this be true? Coming back to the comforline, the road tax is 8% and not 7 as somebody was mentioning here, which amounts to 1,24,9**. The insurance has gone up from the previous pricing of a few months back, and bumper to bumper cover is pegged at 74,950. Add to this 5000 as "handling" and 450 for reg., the total comes to around 17,59000. Now, the SE has agreed to give me discount of 15k from ex-showroom as corporate, and some other discounts for insurance including my ncb of 2 years, my age etc... and finally the insurance amount has come down significantly to around 30k. So i end up paying just under 17 lakhs for the Comfortline. Even though i feel its a pretty good deal, i do not want to miss out on the insights of experienced and more knowledgeable fellow bhpians. Kindly advice me on where i can bargain for more discounts or freebies?

Also, what other expenses might crop up at the time of delivery? Do they not provide mud flaps and floor mats even for above 15 lakh cars?!?! What about Number-plates?

Should I go for sun films or something else as accessories?
Old 29th August 2011, 11:17   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Also, what other expenses might crop up at the time of delivery? Do they not provide mud flaps and floor mats even for above 15 lakh cars?!?! What about Number-plates?

Should I go for sun films or something else as accessories?
Floor mats are standard on the Jetta. It even comes with round hooks which keep it in place. So need not worry about that. I have a 2010 comfortline. Mud flaps will look ugly on this car. So I would suggest to avoid it. Anyway the lower portion of the rear bumper is black matte and it'll be easy to scrape the mud off. I went for RE50 for the front, side and rear. And CR70 for the windshield in front. 3M Brand.
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 11:20   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
Floor mats are standard on the Jetta. It even comes with round hooks which keep it in place. So need not worry about that.
I saw some funny circular pegs sticking out of the carpet and asked about it at VW Downtown, Bangalore.

The reply was that they were for the mats, but that the mats were not supplied! Someone might want to corroborate this.
crackingride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:02   #175
BHPian

[quote=druk75;2484715]and some other discounts for insurance including my ncb of 2 years, my age etc... and finally the insurance amount has come down significantly to around 30k.

Druk75, Regarding insurance ,have you checked with Oriental Insurance for their nil depreciation policy. To my knowledge no other govt. ins. company is having a nil depreciation motor policy.

http://www.orientalinsurance.org.in/...Endt180509.pdf

I have always felt that dealer point insurance is more often substantially expensive than buying direct. People usually go along with the 'buying experience" ... and pay more.....

I checked with another govt. ins.company and the calculation for an ordinary policy went like this: Invoice Amt. less 5% * 2.34% ,then substract 10% as discount allowable (openly given to any customer) ,add Rs.2750/-+Rs.125/- ,then add 10.3% (of final figure) as service tax. -this should be your net figure [this for a fresh policy=NO NCB]. The lump sum payment for the Nil Depreciation part is in addition to this. I am assuming that all govt. ins. companies operate on the same calculations.

But then again, if you are comfortable in finding value/comfort in terms like Return To Invoice, Lost Key Insurance, Hotel Re-Imbursement etc. pvt. insurers should be your stop. I am in no way connected to govt.ins. firms but I have found better value for my requirements with them, albeit even with their' Pay first and get re-imbursed later modus'.

If I may put in a last word,compare the final payable figure (for equal terms) between quotes. Most people get carried away by the sweet talking SA's words of XX % discount figures.

Happy hunting

Mods: Please edit if I am going much too Off Topic
jmktm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 12:10   #176
Senior - BHPian

Got a look at the New Jetta at VW Palace Cross this weekend. The showroom was full of people and we had to wait for 10-15 min before any SA could talk to us. The Jetta looks are its biggest drawback IMHO. Too similiar to Vento. I had to walk to the back of the car to see the badging to confirm we were standing in front of the Jetta and not the Vento. Going to be a deal-breaker to a lot of people.

Apart from similiar looks from outside, the car looks quite decent. Strangely, i didnt find it as plush and luxurious inside compared to the outgoing Jetta or the Laura. There was no TD vehicle nor accessory list with the dealer. So i couldnt even get to know whether we can fit Front Fogs in base version or not. Looking at the pricing and overall looks, i doubt this is going to dent the numbers of Laura/Cruze/Corolla. Pretty niche offering to build VW brand rather.

Interesting to see that VW/Skoda situation is different in India than Europe - Superb & Laura sell more than Jetta/Passat in high end while Polo/Vento have the measure of Fabia at the low end.
Old 29th August 2011, 13:12   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The insurance has gone up from the previous pricing of a few months back, and bumper to bumper cover is pegged at 74,950
This looks very high. I think i paid around 50K for bumper to bumper. Please check with a couple of insurance agencies before throwing in 75K.

Even with the Bumper to bumper cover, there are multiple policies like Gold and Silver. Please check if you are getting the best of them.

Regarding the mudflaps, actually the car doesnt look that bad. It actually looks a bit more complete than the car without one.

You can insist on getting the mudflaps for free and show them your booking cheque. Tell them you may think of other cars if they dont honour. You lose nothing threatening them

Whatever you want additional in the car, threaten them before making a payment. Once you make a payment, they will not really be as cordial as they are before payment.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

Today Volkswagen has did it again with TOI. A silver look-alike Newspaper (Front and Back page) which actually a New Jetta Ad/Brochure.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 29th August 2011, 15:08   #179
BHPian

Nice ad in today's TOI. Just feel VW lost out a big opportunity to gain a foothold in this segment by pricing the Jetta so high. The fully loaded version comes very much into Superb / Accord category so I doubt anyone would go for it. It's just sad that these companies put in so much into bringing a good product to the market and then go berserk with the prices.

Sales of the old Jetta only started moving after the around 2 lac discount offered by the company towards the end. This one will struggle to move off the showroom till VW starts offering big discounts. Which again brings me back to the point I was trying to make. Why not price it right the first time around and benefit from volumes!
Old 29th August 2011, 15:21   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Thanks for this. Looks like all our Team BHP reviewers have on a long vacation
The Autocar Jetta review ends with Renuka saying - "If price is not a concern, then it just does'nt get better than this".

For whom in India is price not a concern when they're looking at buying a midsized sedan like this. I feel reviewers in India get so exited by getting a new car that they are actually afraid to be critical. Need to take some pointers from Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear on how to give an interesting and fair review.

Last edited by manishk123 : 29th August 2011 at 15:24.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks