Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 21:02   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP - Is Suzuki looking for a partnership with FIAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There was talk of Maruti designing a mini SUV and price it at around 8-12 lakhs. Supposedly, this car would come with the 1.6 MJD. There was a link to a page that even had a designers' rendering of the same. Our own resident Team-BHP member's rendering, in fact.

Lets hope that this is true. But I have not seen much coverage of the 1.6MJD in any of
these deals. Its always about hatches. If Maruti announces a Mini-SUV/X-over 1.6MJD would be the apt engine for such a product.

I sincerely hope that is the reason this deal was being looked at by Maruti.
If that mini SUV is SX4 X-over/Sedici, that would be even better!
Old 29th November 2011, 23:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

I think the deal that has been signed for is again for 1.3MJD and not 1.6MJD (just my assumption). I could be totally wrong, but: I think the 1.3MJD was jointly developed by Fiat and Suzuki (GM), so MSIL could manufacture it under license. Also, I think Fiat could not really stop Maruti using that engine or gain much from MSIL's volumes. So this new deal is good for Fiat India.

Does Suzuki have a similar claim on the 1.6MJD? If not, Fiat is free to refuse the 1.6MJD to Maruti and keep it exclusively to themselves atleast for 2-3 years more (in India).
Old 29th November 2011, 23:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the deal that has been signed for is again for 1.3MJD and not 1.6MJD (just my assumption). I could be totally wrong, but: I think the 1.3MJD was jointly developed by Fiat and Suzuki (GM), so MSIL could manufacture it under license. Also, I think Fiat could not really stop Maruti using that engine or gain much from MSIL's volumes. So this new deal is good for Fiat India.

Does Suzuki have a similar claim on the 1.6MJD? If not, Fiat is free to refuse the 1.6MJD to Maruti and keep it exclusively to themselves atleast for 2-3 years more (in India).
Hi StarrySky. To correct your statement, the 1.3 MJD was jointly developed by Fiat and GM (JTD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Suzuki doesn't have any stake in it. Maruti Suzuki is manufacturing 1.3 MJD under license from Fiat Italy and not from Fiat India.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:49   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat's TATA trobules could pave way for closer ties with Suzuki in India!

This could be great for FIAT but what does it bring to Suzuki except, a timely supplies of engines!

Quote:
Fiat and Tata Motors may be headed for divorce after the two carmakers ended a deal this month that had allowed Fiat to sell cars via Tata's Indian dealerships for the past six years.
The move could pave the way for Fiat to strengthen its ties to Suzuki Motor in Asia's third-largest auto market, analysts at IHS Automotive and Cyrrus AS said. Fiat and the Japanese carmaker have worked together for almost a decade, and expanding those ties could help Fiat boost its presence in the country

Quote:

Suzuki's market share in India, though, has been sliding as it faces growing competition. An alliance could benefit both sides, said Jiri Simara, an auto analyst at Cyrrus in Prague. "Suzuki can do the same for Fiat as Chrysler did -- a smooth approach to rich markets," Simara said. "Fiat has some things to offer as well -- it's still a sound name with many technologies Suzuki is interested in

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd May 2012 at 12:52.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:53   #35
BHPian

For India, any alliance looks unlikely to me , because Suzuki wouldn’t be comfortable in sharing their biggest forte with anybody else, and according to some sources, this was the main reason behind breakup with VW.

With Fiat, MSIL would only be interested in MJD engines, for which they have already secured supply for few more years.

But can be a different story internationally, something in the line of Sedici/ SX4 is potentially possible.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
But can be a different story internationally, something in the line of Sedici/ SX4 is potentially possible.
The news is exclusively referencing India for this alliance!

I guess the thread should title as " Is Fiat looking for a partnership with Suzuki - India?

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd May 2012 at 16:01.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:10   #37
BHPian

Mazda in talks with Fiat on business tie-up: Source

Mazda in talks with Fiat on business tie-up: Source - The Economic Times

*** Also reprodicing below the write up from ET Online news on 23 May, 2012, 10.53AM IST, Reuters.***
TOKYO: Mazda Motor Corp is in talks with Fiat SpA to form a business tie-up, a source said, as the loss-making Japanese automaker seeks a revival path after losing its strategic partnership with Ford Motor Co.

A deal with Fiat will not involve any exchange of capital, the source told Reuters, declining to be identified because the information is not public.

A spokesman at Mazda, Japan's fifth-largest carmaker, said the company was due to make an announcement later on Wednesday. He declined to say if it concerned a tie-up with Fiat, news of which was first reported by Japanese public broadcaster NHK. Fiat was not immediately available for comment.

Mazda posted its fourth straight year of losses last year as it struggles with a strong yen, which makes its cars less competitive overseas. The company builds most of its cars in Japan, exporting almost 80 per cent of that.

Mazda's shares jumped on the report, reversing earlier losses to gain 2.8 per cent in mid-afternoon trade in Tokyo.

Fiat, for its part, has been looking for more automotive alliances after taking control of Chrysler - particularly an Asian partner to help it reach global sales of 6 million vehicles in 2014.

Asked specifically about a possible alliance with Japan's Suzuki Motor Corp or Mazda, Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne had said in February those were among the many opportunities to explore.

Automakers around the world have been forging both equity and non-equity partnerships to share the rising burden of research and development as governments tighten environmental and safety regulations, and to lower costs amid stiffer competition.

Mazda, the maker of the Mazda3, MX-5 and other sporty cars, is among the few automakers with no strategic capital alliance after Ford sold down its controlling one-third stake starting in 2008. After a nearly $2 billion share offering earlier this year, Ford's stake has fallen to a nominal 2 per cent.

The NHK said Mazda would start by supplying its MX-5/Roadster to Fiat for sale under the premium Alfa Romeo brand. The partners would explore other possibilities for cooperation, including sharing Mazda's fuel-efficient engines and its expertise in vehicle weight reduction, it said.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:39   #38
BHPian

well, Some thing is definitely Cooking up between FIAT and Mazda . Although Published in ET , so open to speculations . Pasting the content below .

No words on Alliance in Asia so far. it;s limited to Europe. Me feels that this may get expended to India as Mazda want;s to enter here and FIAT is Struggling Here. Mazda can certainly leverage FIAT experience as a jump start in India. Mr Sergio Marchionne has done wonders with Chrysler and they do have a bit of history going in for them. Mazda Off lately is in distress & could certainly use FIAT;s Chrysler experience to turn itself around.

Mazda, Fiat to work together on MX-5-based roadster - The Economic Times

Quote:
TOKYO: Mazda Motor Corp and Fiat SpA said on Wednesday they have signed a non-binding MOU ( memorandum of understanding) to develop and manufacture a new roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo brands based on Mazda's next-generation MX-5 platform.

A final agreement is expected to be signed in the second half of this year, they said in a statement.

Mazda and Fiat will develop two distinctly styled roadsters with their own engines. Both vehicles will be built at Mazda's Hiroshima plant, with production of the Alfa Romeo version due to start in 2015.

The two automakers also said they would discuss further opportunities for cooperation in Europe. A Mazda spokeswoman said the agreement does not involve any discussions on an equity alliance.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 23rd May 2012 at 15:43.
Old 25th May 2012, 07:39   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Bloomberg speculates on possible Suzuki -Fiat tie-up specific to India !

Suzuki Seen Better Fit for Fiat as Ties With Tata Founder - Bloomberg
Old 25th May 2012, 11:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

There are people (atleast me) who would buy a linea if it can be serviced at a MASS.
Two years back I considered buying a Linea, but backed-off at the thought "Where will I service it?"
Not that Maruti Service is great, but atleast I would have options after fighting with one MASS.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:33   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"We have no plan to buy a stake in Mazda," Fiat Chairman John Elkann said on the sidelines of the annual shareholder meeting of Exor, the Agnelli family's investment company through which it controls Fiat and Chrysler
Quote:
Mazda and Fiat announced last week they would join forces to make new versions of their most famous sports cars, the MX-5 and the Alfa Romeo Spider
Old 13th March 2014, 16:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat Chrysler cosies up with Suzuki - Could be easily a tie-up that would turn the fortunes of both the companies catering to most markets. A win-win situation for both!
SCOOP - Is Suzuki looking for a partnership with FIAT?-fiat_suzuki_main.jpg

Quote:
FIAT Chrysler Automobiles has left the door wide open for closer links with Japanese motor manufacturer Suzuki. If Fiat Chrysler does decide to climb into bed with Suzuki, it would have the perfect opportunity to announce it in Detroit on May 6 when Mr Marchionne is due to make a major statement on the strategic direction of his company
Quote:
A shared platform could be sold under Suzuki badges in India, China, Japan and the rest of Asia, as a Chrysler in North America and as a Fiat in Europe, the Middle East and Brazil.

Although such a deal could take many shapes, it might involve the Italian-American conglomerate buying out Volkswagen’s 19.9 per cent share of Suzuki.

It would also provide opportunities for sharing platforms and powertrains across a wider spread of vehicles, probably under the Fiat, Chrysler, Jeep and Suzuki nameplates.

However, Suzuki is strong in India, where Fiat Chrysler has had little impact, and also has an ASEAN manufacturing base in Thailand.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C9A0021904E

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th March 2014 at 17:06.
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:21   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

FCA may find perfect partner is from Asia - Suzuki, Mazda or Hyundai?

Quote:
The financial media keep trying to fix up with Volkswagen, despiterefusal to be courted by this particular German fraulein and the repeated attempts to douse the rumors.
Hyundai -
Hyundai would be a perfect partner, except its culture is incompatible with FCA's. Hyundai also would have little to gain from such a union. FCA doesn't really have anything that the Korean carmaker needs.

Mazda -
The problem with Mazda is that, with the exception of Japan, its strongest markets are also FCA's strongest: the United States and Europe.

Suzuki -
With sales of 3 million vehicles per year, Suzuki allows Marchionne to achieve his dream of selling 7 million annually.
Suzuki is strongest in Asia -- it has a dominant position in India -- and Asia is where FCA is weakest
What's more, Suzuki is weak where FCA is strongest, including in the United States!

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...r-is-from-asia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks