Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 00:52   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Vento: Pay VW 30k+ for their "price increase". Get less features

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
I read in one of the Vento ownership reviews that the power window button on the lock/unlock remote has been omitted. Dunno how far this is true. Can anybody confirm whether this is true?
you have to press the lock button hold it for some time and the windows roll up and same case press and hold unlock and windows roll down. but there is no separate button.
Old 19th August 2011, 07:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to clarify, neither the lock/unlock via remote nor the autolock after 15 seconds features have been deleted to accoomdate the price revision. The former works as @easterncar has explained and the latter as I have posted in the Vento TD thread.

Localisation is a reality and several parts are now produced in India that were originally imported. bala80 has correctly captured the changes as a result.

If I am not mistaken, VW is stuck with a huge stockpile (at one time 14,000) of petrol Ventos thanks to some miscalculations by their planning department. The IPL edition, low interest rate and withholding of price hike for petrol variants are all attempts to liquidate this stock. The TDI Highline continues to fly off the shelves, and there are rumours VW may introduce a 1.5 lit 94BHP diesel engine since the 1.6L105 BHP drivetrain is in short supply.
Old 19th August 2011, 13:23   #18
BHPian

VW when they downgraded the steering wheel trim of the Vento, offered a Rs 5000/- rebate for those who booked prior to the announcement. Not many dealers passed on the benefit. I got mine after a severe disagreement and because I knew of the circular.

Because of the initial short supply of Polo's, many VW dealers started treating their customers with disdain. This attitude has carried forward even when production increased and their stockyards are full.

Hopefully they will learn in time.
Old 19th August 2011, 16:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I guess it boils down to what a person is looking for in a car. The ANHV didn't do anything for me. The rear seat is a strict no for me and I cant fathom the ides of my family sitting in that cramped claustrophobic cabin.
+1 - the OP seem to be impressed with the verna, if it suits his needs and appeals to him better, IMO he should go ahead and buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The TDI Highline continues to fly off the shelves, and there are rumours VW may introduce a 1.5 lit 94BHP diesel engine since the 1.6L105 BHP drivetrain is in short supply.
I'm hearing this more often these days, Infact, this engine was supposed to make an appearence in the polo TDI variant too apart from the upcoming skoda lauretta. Question is, does VW have this in their engine in their international line-up? Is it in the pipeline for indian models? Guess this will become a little clear with the launch of the skoda sedan around diwali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
VW when they downgraded the steering wheel trim of the Vento, offered a Rs 5000/- rebate for those who booked prior to the announcement. Not many dealers passed on the benefit. I got mine after a severe disagreement and because I knew of the circular.
Someone posted about this in the TD thread earlier too, but there wasnt any concrete details around this. This wasn't passed on to me (neither for the other fellow members who took delivery in recent times), VW should have informed this to the customers instead of communicating this to the dealers. VW did a bad job of this, if it is true.

Last edited by bala80 : 19th August 2011 at 16:51.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Product planning entails projecting a price for the next 1 year ?? Even in a scenario where most of the raw materials costs have gone up by 20% or more in a year ? Steel has gone up by more than 20% , wage inflation hovers around 10% - do we expect VW to open a charity shop . Its not a not for profit set-up and would certainly try to protect their margins - rest would be decided by the market and going by how their performance , Vento has been doing pretty well . I guess you would need to revise your notion of product planning. BTW, hope you are aware that most car makers decide on the price taking into account the steady state localisation levels rather than start off with one price and bringing it down as the localisation is increased since that kind of a practice is widely recognised as bad marketing . This is especially true for a product where badge value has to be retained .

I guess since you own quite a few VWs already , its time to whet your apetite with a Korean one now and stay thrilled with the blingy gizmos that comes as a package with it.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

On a related note, that "5000 off for a missing chrome insert" doesn't ring true. Possibly dealer discount passed on in this guise to appease angry customer. May be interesting to know if the person who got that got the full 16K corporate discount. If not, we have our answer!
Old 19th August 2011, 19:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
On a related note, that "5000 off for a missing chrome insert" doesn't ring true. Possibly dealer discount passed on in this guise to appease angry customer. May be interesting to know if the person who got that got the full 16K corporate discount. If not, we have our answer!
The 5K was only for those who made the booking with the original configuration and delivered with the standard steering. By chance we saw the original email.

Corporate discount in Kerala? The max they were willing to part with was 8K and I did not get that too . Anyway the point of contention with the dealer was on delayed delivery claiming shortage when the vehicle was already in the yard and not on price.
They wanted us to give a written undertaking that we were told about the steering change, else they could not proceed with the registration. I have it as an email from the dealer. Since I refused in writing and wanted to take it up with VW directly or cancel the order, they sweetened the deal with the 5K.
Thanks for the information of 16K corporate discounts. Someone else may be able to wrangle that out of them!
Old 19th August 2011, 19:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The TDI Highline continues to fly off the shelves, and there are rumours VW may introduce a 1.5 lit 94BHP diesel engine since the 1.6L105 BHP drivetrain is in short supply.
I booked the car for its current engine. If they try to pass on the vento with a lower rated engine without any intimation, I would have a nice time dragging them to court. I want the current 1.6 TDI 105PS or I want my money back. I would rather get the Linea 1.4 TJet and be happy with its performance.

Last edited by SR-71 : 19th August 2011 at 20:10.
Old 20th August 2011, 08:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

@SR-71, I don't think you would have much of a case. There is enough fine print on the website, the booking form etc. that protects the manufacturer from delivering on exact specifications. Think of the Laura Ambiente owners who were delivered cars without foglamps, for example!

VW dealers are fast eroding whatever (little) trust the customer had reposed in them. Classic case of a good product with poor distribution.

@basky- 16K corporate discount is standard across the country. You just have to be firm and demand it. They will give you a lot of bull and demand all kinds of paperwork but eventually they would have to give you that.

Last edited by noopster : 20th August 2011 at 08:04.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 12:51   #25
mxx
BHPian

@noopster: Does the fine print hold true for engine specs also? Isnt that for minor modifications of the product?
Even if it is, cant we just cancel the booking if it is not what we expected (before the car is registered in the name and full payment made)?
Old 20th August 2011, 20:41   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't care about the chrome, but removing the leather wrapped steering wheel is a bad decision. There's enough local suppliers who can give high quality leather cladding to VW at a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
@noopster: Does the fine print hold true for engine specs also?
Any change, including engine specs

Quote:
Even if it is, cant we just cancel the booking if it is not what we expected (before the car is registered in the name and full payment made)?
Absolutely. Until the car is registered to your name, you can cancel the booking.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:31   #27
BHPian

Is the price rise applicable for petrol and diesel or just Diesel version. If only diesel then the premium would be really steep.

What's with VW ? All other vendors making price correction or offering freebies to increase the sales, where as these guys are increasing prices ?

Is VW getting arrogant already because of the Vento diesel numbers?

BTW, Got a call from the VW guys for the Vento Test Drive after 3 months !!

The lady courteously asked " Sir, You had enquired for test drive, when shall I sent the car". Hat's off to their customer care dept for such prompt response.

I had totally forgotten about it, but still went ahead and told them to send over the car. Awaiting now

Let's see if they can make it this time.

Cheers
Old 20th August 2011, 21:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Is the price rise applicable for petrol and diesel or just Diesel version. If only diesel then the premium would be really steep.

What's with VW ? All other vendors making price correction or offering freebies to increase the sales, where as these guys are increasing prices ?
The price rise is only for the diesel variant. VW is offering good discounts on the Petrol Vento. its not just VW but across the car makers. Everyone is offering discounts and flexibility on the petrol cars. The Diesels are selling themselves and in most cases in excess of the manufacturing capacity!!
Old 21st August 2011, 02:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The price rise is only for the diesel variant. VW is offering good discounts on the Petrol Vento. its not just VW but across the car makers. Everyone is offering discounts and flexibility on the petrol cars. The Diesels are selling themselves and in most cases in excess of the manufacturing capacity!!
Well in that case the difference between Petrol and Diesel would be around 1.2Lac or more based on petrol discounts, if i recollect correctly earlier it was around 95K.

IMHO, the premium charged by the manufactures for diesel is way to high. Not sure how much of it is justified in terms of actual production costs, or It is just caching in on the Indian sentiment of difference in price vis a vis petrol..

Cheers!!
Old 21st August 2011, 03:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I booked the car for its current engine. If they try to pass on the vento with a lower rated engine without any intimation, I would have a nice time dragging them to court. I want the current 1.6 TDI 105PS or I want my money back. I would rather get the Linea 1.4 TJet and be happy with its performance.
The booking is iron clad as far as the specs are concerned, no one can plam off a lower or higher spec car for your booking - price though is applicable at the time of delivery unless otherwise sepcified ( like VW did for Vento)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
IMHO, the premium charged by the manufactures for diesel is way to high. Not sure how much of it is justified in terms of actual production costs, or It is just caching in on the Indian sentiment of difference in price vis a vis petrol..

Cheers!!
Difference of price anywhere between 50K to a lakh for a diesel car as compared to a similar spec petrol is expected . This is the case in developed countries too and boils down to the fact that diesel engines are more expensive to make. In India the on road price difference gets aggravated due to measures such as penal tax on diesel vehicles and also reported move to hike insurance cost of diesel cars by some convoluted logic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks