Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 13:47   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Does this issue of water leaking exist in all the Etios, or specific to some batch? Etios owners on Tbhp, can you please share your experience? The problem should be easily noticed by anyone by now, if it exists in his/her car.

It is shocking if this was a design fault. Cost cutting should not break essential functionality. I hope Toyota has not taken cost cutting that far.

As far as my knowledge goes, all PDIs have a wash test or something of that kind where they spray/splash water. Wouldn't the problem reported here get caught in such a test I wonder how the issue has escaped detection all this while and only coming up now (many many months after the vehicles have been out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not sure if I agree with this. Personal preference probably, but unless the single wiper is a controlled-single-arm (am guessing the merc had one), considering the seating position of a driver, a standard single wiper definitely seems to offer lower visibility than a tandem arrangement. Probably the butterfly wipers (Opposed system) offer best visibility.

Please refer this image

Source: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/wiper-coverage.gif

Just a technical query - why cannot we have a slider system that covers 100% of the windscreen area. What I am referring to is not a rotating type but something like how curtains are moved on a window.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2011 at 16:27. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 17th September 2011, 14:24   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp

Just a technical query - why cannot we have a slider system that covers 100% of the windscreen area. What I am referring to is not a rotating type but something like how curtains are moved on a window.
I think there are two specific limitations of a slider:

1. It would not be possible (maybe nit yet) to achieve the wipe rate required to keep the screen clear in a heavy downpour
2. The technology itself would be complex and hard to maintain as the sliding mechanism would have to be exposed to the elements as it would be mounted externally. Rusting and jamming would be real concern

Just my theories, but I'll go google it now for more info
Old 17th September 2011, 20:48   #168
BHPian

Re: Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
The NVH levels in my car are way better now. It's no longer the 'sporty' engine thing (as one dealer had justified during the TD). Few things I believe helped.

The ODO is now close to 4K and I notice that the engine noise (from the outside, compared to earlier) has reduced substantially.
Good to know about this.

Quote:
Got 3M Sun films installed (CR70 for the front windshield + CS20 for the rear and windows).
Picked up a boot mat from the dealer as well.

Hope the above helped in reducing the NVH in the cabin.
Do you mean to say that sun-films have helped in reduction of NVH? Boot mat should certainly help in absorbing the noise though.

Quote:
If any of you have got the 3M rubberized under-body coating for your Etios, can you share if it helped further reducing the NVH ?
I felt there was perceptible reduction in road noise.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 21:53   #169
BHPian

Woah!! That's a crazy, bold move by the owner. And hilarious too!
I don't suppose the quality control of a new car is a Showroom's problem, but whenever a customer does report a problem, it's their job to see to it that it gets sorted. So, I have no problems with the dealer being mentioned in the ad.
Anyone care to find out how much he got offered for the car?
Old 18th September 2011, 12:21   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish myetios View Post
Well I am more frustrated with the following factors
1) Huge claims about Quality before the purchase.
2) My bad experiences about Quality of the Toyota ETIOS.
3) The dealer who made huge claims started showing me Corolla Altis bonnet and comparing with ETIOS bonnet to comment that I am experiencing vibrations because a very poor material (poor quality dampers) has been used in ETIOS. And what can I expect at this price?
These were really disappointing moments for me as my dealer was also confirming that ETIOS is a cheap quality product. I felt cheated and betrayed. Because I had already purchased it? Was it my fault? No!
Initially, I also felt that Toyota can not be wrong but later when I approached voc@toyota-kirloskar.com, their shying responses confirmed my doubts.
It was really funny to see that Toyota Dealers were reading and giving explanations based on funny reasoning about ETIOS issues. For every specific customer objection there was a funny reasoning. All these objections were taken from myself and customers like me who personally went for the servicing.
Hey Munish, we're eagerly awaiting the details of the specific problems with your car. drmohitg has also requested for the same earlier. Let's not be judgmental about the claims of Toyota or the motives of the dealer, it can be quite subjective.

I read in one of the threads that you are frustrated with NVH levels in your car. In my case, I have substantially mitigated noise through the following measures
  • 3M rubberized underbody coating for ~2.2 k
  • OEM rubber Boot mat for 1.6 k
  • I have also put an additional set of plastic floor mats over the fabric ones, not sure if it mitigates the NVH though

Regarding vibrations, I have had detailed interactions with the Service Centre. I am given to understand that certain batches of Etios were tuned too heavily for FE and the cars were vibrating , and even stalling, on idle. Toyota has now given a procedure to retune the fuel injectors by reprogramming the ECU. I wonder if your car belongs to that particular batch and if ECU reprogramming would help the case.

On my part, I have found the Toyota service system amazingly polite and quite prompt and responsive.

You'd also mentioned about the problem of backache with Etios. In one of my long drives, I also faced same problem. On return, I just adjusted the seat little further in front. On my return trip, I was very comfortable. You may want to check if you've pushed your seat too far back.

Just sharing the info in case it helps.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 18th September 2011 at 12:32.
Old 18th September 2011, 22:49   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Good to know about this.
Do you mean to say that sun-films have helped in reduction of NVH? Boot mat should certainly help in absorbing the noise though.

I just listed all the add-ons I got onto my car. Definitely the sun-films would not have any role to play in the noise level reduction. The engine has gone pretty much silent and what ever little noise I hear in the cabin (mostly @ high speeds) is the road/tire noise. My Etios has Goodyear and I've checked other threads in the forum mentioning about the high-noise factor with Goodyears. Am not planning to change the tires as of now.

Yep, I got the OEM rubber boot mats at pretty much the same price you mentioned. They seem to be pretty sturdy and serving the dual purpose.

The official review confirmed that Etios Diesel comes in with the under-body coating. Not sure if this coating is going into the recently/currently sold Etios Petrol as well.
Old 20th September 2011, 21:12   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

No replies as yet from MR. Munish. Just makes me want to believe either the owner is satisfied with the car now . Its been quite some days since everyone requested you to post your issues. Eagerly waiting for your post.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th September 2011 at 21:14.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:32   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Mods I just felt we should change the title of this thread as the current one clearly suggests that a serious quality problem does exist with the Etios. I am coming across various posts repeatedly in the forum of people basing there opinion on this thread. The new member who happened to start the crusade against toyota has mysteriously choosen to remain silent on the issue when we requested him to post about his troubles here. So till we get some concrete information I think the thread title atleast needs to be edited to something more neutral.

regards,
Mohit
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 22:48   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So till we get some concrete information I think the thread title atleast needs to be edited to something more neutral.regards,
Mohit
completely with your drmohitg. Though Etios is built to a cost car, the negative publicity it is getting through this thread title is totally unwarranted for. It would be apt to change the thread title to a more neutral one eg. "Etios Problems" or "Initial teething troubles with Etios"
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 23:11   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Mods I just felt we should change the title of this thread as the current one clearly suggests that a serious quality problem does exist with the Etios. I am coming across various posts repeatedly in the forum of people basing there opinion on this thread. The new member who happened to start the crusade against toyota has mysteriously choosen to remain silent on the issue when we requested him to post about his troubles here. So till we get some concrete information I think the thread title atleast needs to be edited to something more neutral.

regards,
Mohit
Fully agree with you. It appears that some users, not having gone through the full thread, are taking the title and the initial posts on face value.

IIRC, there have been following three main sources of reported problems in the thread:
  • Door gasket leaking: Not verified, problem maybe due to an aftermarket modification
  • Clutch burning: Not yet confirmed that it was not because of clutch riding
  • Problems of Mr. Munish: Not yet confirmed - User somehow not responding
I would suggest the revised thread title as "Etios having serious quality issues? - EDIT: Awaiting verification/confirmation of problems reported".
RadiantKarma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:15   #176
DRC
BHPian

We are discussing many problem of Etios here. However, leakage in doors are not among the ones that we can live with.

Today, my wife's colleague brought a new Etios Liva to office (delivered on Friday). She was surprised to see gunny bags and old rags kept handy in the passenger seat to deal with the leakage. Poor guy still thinks his case is one off.

Toyota needs to do something about it soon.
DRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 13:30   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
We are discussing many problem of Etios here. However, leakage in doors are not among the ones that we can live with.

Today, my wife's colleague brought a new Etios Liva to office (delivered on Friday). She was surprised to see gunny bags and old rags kept handy in the passenger seat to deal with the leakage. Poor guy still thinks his case is one off.

Toyota needs to do something about it soon.
That's a real shocker - coming as it is from an authentic source. For sure, leakage in doors is simply unacceptable for obvious reasons, even if it were a Nano with cost-cutting!

Can you find out from the owner about which door(s) are prone to leakage and if he has got aftermarket speaker installations done (in which doors?). My query arises from the following comments by vid6639 in his official review:
Quote:
The rubber beadings are not on the doors but on the door frams and are much more thicker. The water leaking issue seems to do with after market speaker installations. Since the Etios doesn't have rear speakers buyers try and cut the rear door and fit speakers. This cutting job results in water leaks.
Will appreciate your efforts in finding and sharing the details!

Btw, has it been raining over the week-end for the owner to have already faced the leakage issue?
Old 4th October 2011, 13:37   #178
Senior - BHPian

I wonder where is the quality that we used to associate the Toyota with? Leaking doors is pathetic man ! Built to cost car does not mean that we should accept such horrible quality product.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:30   #179
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Here is one for sell, driven 11,000 KM.

Old 20th October 2011, 13:18   #180
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Here is one for sell, driven 11,000 KM.

Already posted on team-bhp. It's not authentic. Apparently, the owner made some custom modification and that caused the water leaking problem ( as per the team-bhp reviewer - Vid6639 ). There are no such complaints from any of the Etios Owners on team-bhp.

With regards to Noise, he should have atleast test driven the Etios before he bought it. The least he could have done was to read reviews on it. Noise is part and parcel of Etios. But, it's a real fun to drive car with lots of space and practicality given more importance than looks and style.

The only thing that seems to be correct is the mileage which is not high as expected.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks