Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 01:32   #16
Zed
BHPian

Re: Frustrated ETIOS owner places Ad with complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Wonder if this is the image of all Indian manufactured cars abroad, and from the looks of this complaint, it seems that the Indian car buyer is indeed being taken for granted with poor quality automobiles.
Not so sure if Indian manufacturers suffer from an 'image' problem.

Indian made Hyundai i10 \ i20 and nissan pixo's (MSIL A - star rebadged) sell in Europe and I have yet to hear of any complaints regarding quality even in quality conscious west European markets like Germany and France. This is indicative of the capability of manufacturing in India. However, if there are compromises -lower spec material etc - sure, there is evidence to suggest that 'Indian market spec' versions are not benchmarks of excellence. But you need to bear in mind that its about value for a given market. If a large percentage of buyers of a particular model are semi urban customers who drive at less than 120 kmph and are very cost concious (dont want to replace parts) - then a low profile high speed rated tyre for that model does not add value to a large percentage of that target audience.
Zed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 01:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This ad comes at a very wrong time for Toyota. If they don't address the problems right from the bud, sure its gonna take a hit on the diesel launches of Etios & Liva.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 02:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

The 'Made for India' presentation Toyota released before the launch of Etios was more like a CAUTION to us 'buyers' and now the feedback really speaks on what 'Made for India' tag means.

I feel sad for the owner and also appreciate his naughty trick to get his issue across to Toyota more strongly and I hope its effective too.

+1 to swiftnfurious. These issues are exactly coming out at the wrong time for Toyota or is it coming at the right time for the 'buyers'!?
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 09:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

While this is an innovative way to bring out a quality issue in a much touted brand,I only hope the seller does not get into legal problems.

All said and done,the Etios does not look like it's been engineered by Toyota.

I have always maintained that there is hardly any difference between a Mitsu,a Maruti,a Mazda and a Toyota - the common factor is the have Jap in their blood, make cars that are simple to service,are reliable and are fairly bland.

Toyota does need to wake up and address this issue
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 10:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting observation, Im currently in Dhaka, and see a huge number of Toyota cars here. Funnily I dont see any Indian toyota's, so no Innova, Etios, Qualis at all, Even the corolla's are imported from Japan. When I ask the locals, they all say, Indian cars are bad quality, they prefer buying reconditioned, i.e 5 year old Jap cars at 20 lac takkas +, but they dont want Indian cars. Wonder if this is the image of all Indian manufactured cars abroad, and from the looks of this complaint, it seems that the Indian car buyer is indeed being taken for granted with poor quality automobiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Not so sure if Indian manufacturers suffer from an 'image' problem.

Indian made Hyundai i10 \ i20 and nissan pixo's (MSIL A - star rebadged) sell in Europe and I have yet to hear of any complaints regarding quality even in quality conscious west European markets like Germany and France. This is indicative of the capability of manufacturing in India. However, if there are compromises -lower spec material etc - sure, there is evidence to suggest that 'Indian market spec' versions are not benchmarks of excellence.
Spot on Zed. Issue reported here is an effect of cost cutting and not India's manufacturing capability. If the Bangladeshis pay for refurbished vehicles and live with that instead of buying from India it goes to show their wrong perception - not our quality. Indian manufacturers can either try changing the image or ignore a tiny market.
Well about this particular issue - I just hope Toyota stands by the image they have created all these years and rectify the issue for existing owners and modify new cars. Else competition will take care of them.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 20th August 2011 at 10:12.
pacman2881 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 11:38   #21
BHPian

Does this issue of water leaking exist in all the Etios, or specific to some batch? Etios owners on Tbhp, can you please share your experience? The problem should be easily noticed by anyone by now, if it exists in his/her car.

It is shocking if this was a design fault. Cost cutting should not break essential functionality. I hope Toyota has not taken cost cutting that far.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 11:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is not a surprise at all, on out multiple visits to Toyota dealer for looking at Altis and Fortuner we did generally strolled around Etios and Liva and the cost cutting is glaringly visible.

Some of the parts like door handles, and door lock felt too loose and it gave a feeling of giving away sooner as compared to other cars. Even the switch knobs felt flimsy.

This reminds me of Indica launch in 1999-2000, and the earlier Indicas were plagued with Water seeping inside the cabin, Rats finding their way into the car. When i bought my Indica in 2001 some of my friends laughed that i need to carry an umbrella when driving a car as when it rains, it rains inside as well. Looks like Toyota needs to learn a thing or two from Tata
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 12:12   #23
BHPian

Can someone start a thread? "Toyota Etios - List of known issues"
Maybe the company MIGHT have some sense to put things right before the diesel launch.
MalluDude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 12:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting observation, Im currently in Dhaka, and see a huge number of Toyota cars here. Funnily I dont see any Indian toyota's, so no Innova, Etios, Qualis at all, Even the corolla's are imported from Japan. When I ask the locals, they all say, Indian cars are bad quality, they prefer buying reconditioned, i.e 5 year old Jap cars at 20 lac takkas +, but they dont want Indian cars. Wonder if this is the image of all Indian manufactured cars abroad, and from the looks of this complaint, it seems that the Indian car buyer is indeed being taken for granted with poor quality automobiles.
I have the same observation in Sri Lanka as well. I am told that whole of country worships Japanese made cars especially Toyota. It is not difficult to find more 15 year old Toyota's running around commanding a huge resale value there. All this when they have several manufacturers in India.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 12:39   #25
naj
BHPian

Hi !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
LOL.....

Thats the smartest bit of consumer revenge I have seen!!
+1 .
This sarcastic method is quite innovative though.
I feel that the owner may not really be wanting to sell his car. But he surely has devised a way to draw attention of Toyota motors and the dealer alike (for his below par service).

Infact since this add is now discussed in our Forum and hence you can imagine what this means for Toyota"s reputation.
They surely will look in the matter and resolve the issue asap.Hopefully.

Cheers,
Naj
naj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:15   #26
Senior - BHPian

Smart thinking from the Etios owner. Of course his car is not for sale. The stunt was aimed squarely at the Toyota dealer, who has no option but to rectify the problem promptly.

On a side note, just went through myetios.com, a website run by an unhappy etios customer. Shocked to find out that the car does not have weather strips on all 4 doors. Coming from a state that experiences rain for almost half the year, I would indeed think twice before buying a car that leaks.

Toyota, please lose all the needless exterior chrome bits and weather proof your cars instead...or provide free rain coats with the Etios.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints-myetios.jpg  

MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:20   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

How many incidents of water seepage has been reported?. I'm not sure, if its wise to come to a conclusion from one or two off cases.
Old 20th August 2011, 13:24   #28
BHPian

One of my colleague has the water leaking problem in his 2 months old Etios. One day i was with him in the car and it was raining badly in Bangalore (5 days back) water started to leak in from drivers side door at the top left end i.e the side where hinges are fixed and the door has a slight curve. He was stunned & he opened the door and closed it again it didnt help and after numerous attempts we decided that to pull the rubber beading a little at that place and luckily it stopped and when he gave to the service next day they told him that the rubber beading had been pressed inside its holding and they have rectified it. Till today this problem has not repeated again. Hope Toyota takes care of it
Chalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:25   #29
BHPian

I hated the Etios during the TD. Either Toyota has pathetic designers for the following reasons

1. Center console
2. Orientation of the AC blowers and control panels
3. Red gear shifts - which scream am painted dont scratch me
4. Door shuts like the car was built to be sold at 4L but Toyota is making a hec of a profit

and then call it made for India.

or people at Toyota are crazy for the above same reasons.

We should definitely stay away from etios until Toyota comes with addressing the design and construction issues.

I have never been so frustrated after a TD of a CAR ! looks like Toyota believes Indians are worth lemons

Last edited by haithereitsme : 20th August 2011 at 13:26.
haithereitsme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:53   #30
BHPian

Looks like Toyota missed out some basic elements in making a "Made for India" car! It's indeed unfortunate that "Made for India" is synonymous with basic and stripped down in terms of features but loaded in terms of chrome.

Wonder how they could have missed this out in years of testing and designing!

Cheers,

P.S: There are some videos of engine vibrations the owner has put up. Link here https://picasaweb.google.com/1157406...68709767783602. The owner ends with an appeal to Toyota. In my book Toyota's customer friendly image has take a BIG beating

Last edited by diffsoft : 20th August 2011 at 13:57.
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks