Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 13:37   #136
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMEX View Post
Perhaps the expectations were higher due to the current product portfolio of Toyota.
It is true that the India mass definitely had an expectation that Toyota would give us a car which is not a compromise. Toyota should have competed with Honda City, Hyundai Verna and VW Vento with a car like Toyota Yaris. Toyota has a good enough brand pull to compete successfully in this C+ segment. The India Mass market has changed a lot and buyers will start punishing the manufacturer if they believe that the car is compromise and long term ownership will not be satisfactory.

Please see this link

Toyota Etios common Problems faced by owner | www.myetios.com

Clearly problems like the single wiper may not work efficiently, lack of two reverse lights etc is more an aspiration problem as they believe that all Toyota cars are premium cars. We should not pay much attention to aspiration problems as the specifications are clearly known before the buying decision for the car

However there are large concerns like clutch burn outs, very poor FE, vibrations and noise levels which are a concern and needs to be addressed quickly. Concerns that the lack of door beading allows excessive dust to accumulate inside the car is also serious long term problem considering that all our roads are so dusty.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 15:16   #137
BHPian

Just got an update from my friend . Toyota dealer said they need time to analyze on what the problem is about . He has got the car back but had to pay Rs.3125 /- . 5200 KM and the clutch goes kaput and toyota says it needs to analyze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
One more issue reported by an Etios Owner, a close friend of mine . The car has run 5200KM and he was left stranded on the way back from salem to Hosur with a Clutch failure . It was a sunday evening and there was no road side assistance provided by the salem dealer. Finally the car had to be towed and dropped off at Annamalai toyota salem.
Its been 2 days now and Annamalai is yet to replace the faulty part. They have promised to get back to him today . I shall keep you all posted .

Looks like a manufacturing defect , further details awaited .
Old 13th September 2011, 15:45   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Just got an update from my friend . Toyota dealer said they need time to analyze on what the problem is about . He has got the car back but had to pay Rs.3125 /- . 5200 KM and the clutch goes kaput and toyota says it needs to analyze.
This is atrocious, to say the least. Why should a customer pay for a premature clutch failure, within the first 6K kms. Had it been a case of worn out clutch (due to constant clutch riding), we can understand. But for this to happen the car should have been driven tens of thousands of kms. Also I hope this is not your friend's first car on which he is learning to drive. He should have not paid at all & fought for replacement under warranty, this is clearly a case of manufacturing defect for which the customer had to suffer & spend unnecessarily from his pocket.
Old 13th September 2011, 15:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
This is atrocious, to say the least. Why should a customer pay for a premature clutch failure, within the first 6K kms. Had it been a case of worn out clutch (due to constant clutch riding), we can understand. But for this to happen the car should have been driven tens of thousands of kms. Also I hope this is not your friend's first car on which he is learning to drive. He should have not paid at all & fought for replacement under warranty, this is clearly a case of manufacturing defect for which the customer had to suffer & spend unnecessarily from his pocket.
I had the same question if this is his first car and if he has a habit of clutch riding. But I do not think that, in case of clutch riding, you need to drive tens of K kms for clutch failure. I distinctly remember a case of a friend, over a decade ago, when he burnt the clutch of his brand new Indica done only a few K kms. Till the incident, he used to keep his left foot on the clutch while driving.

However, I still wonder, in the absence of such a scenario being clearly established, why the user is being made to pay.
Old 13th September 2011, 16:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I had the same question if this is his first car and if he has a habit of clutch riding. But I do not think that, in case of clutch riding, you need to drive tens of K kms for clutch failure. I distinctly remember a case of a friend, over a decade ago, when he burnt the clutch of his brand new Indica done only a few K kms. Till the incident, he used to keep his left foot on the clutch while driving.

However, I still wonder, in the absence of such a scenario being clearly established, why the user is being made to pay.
Not few K KMS, but a few KMs is enough if someone wants to burn the clutch riding it!
Old 13th September 2011, 16:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Not few K KMS, but a few KMs is enough if someone wants to burn the clutch riding it!
Yes, a few hundred kilometres with some serious clutch-riding is enough to wear-off the clutch.

A decade and a half ago, an acquaintance of mine took delivery of a Maruti 800 and drove it to the home town, which is about 150 km away. Afew kilometres in the town, the car stopped with jerk. While we suggested it was clutch, he scoffed at us and sent for the showroom servica man. He came and changed the clutch plate.

A mere 200 k is what it took the clutch plate to wear-off.
Old 13th September 2011, 16:43   #142
Senior - BHPian

I have known a case of clutch being burnt by driving 5 kms with handbrake on. Not even riding the clutch. Yes by riding the clutch too one can burn the clutch within a few kms.
Old 13th September 2011, 17:20   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Hey KPS, just saw the above link. Well, I think some folks are going overboard in flogging the poor car for whatever reasons. Yes, there are certain issues, especially on NVH. But then things are being taken to ridiculous levels. The home page of the link is listing innumerable problems in a single car, many of them difficult to believe to be true. Just sample these
Quote:
5) Jerks while driving
Less weight of the car makes it bouncy on road.The suspension is poor and the impact of the holes on road comes directly to the passsngers inside the car cabin. The ride is rough. The comfort part is missing from the vehicle.
6) Battery
The battery drains out completely in less than a weeks time of non usage of the vehicle. It has happened with me three times.
7) Paint
The pain quality is poor as it chips out and cracks out.
Now, do you see any such observations by any of the users on this forum?

Quote:
15) Stepney – Non Alloy wheel
The stepney- spare wheel supplied along with toyota etios model v is non alloy wheel where as all the other tyres are alloy wheels.
Big deal! Lotsa cars give even a smaller wheel set!

Quote:
16) Remote unit for remote locking
There is only one remote control unit supplied along with the vehicle
Big deal again! Even ANHC always came with single remote.

Quote:
12) Pick up
The pickup is very low at any gear and even the new vehicle seems to be tired and exhausted.
This one is actually incredible! All the talk about the power and low-end torque of Etios!!

One user on the same forum has complained that one of the reversing light is not working and dubs the car quality as poor. lol... He doesn't even know that this car, like numerous other cars, has only a single reversing light!

Also, regarding the missing EPDM gaskets on the door, nobody on the forum has had any water seepage issue. vid6639 has the following to say on this in his review thread on Etios Diesel

Quote:
The beading issue was never there. All cars are subjected to shower test before they leave the plant.

The rubber beadings are not on the doors but on the door frams and are much more thicker. The water leaking issue seems to do with after market speaker installations. Since the Etios doesn't have rear speakers buyers try and cut the rear door and fit speakers. This cutting job results in water leaks.
My request guys, let's not go overboard based on some unsubstantiated inputs.
RadiantKarma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 19:02   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma

+1. Completely agree with you. I also went through the website and so many issues just does not make sense at all.

There are so many cars with Single Reverse Lights; agreed it does not look good aesthetically but 2 reversing lights are not required by law either.

As far as Mono wiper design is concerned, I think it's better than conventional design as it covers more glass area an doesn't leave any water splash like 2 wipers design.
Old 13th September 2011, 21:19   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
As far as Mono wiper design is concerned, I think it's better than conventional design as it covers more glass area an doesn't leave any water splash like 2 wipers design.
Well, with 2 wipers, each has to cover 130 or 140 degrees of a circle in one go. With a single wiper, it has to cover 180 degrees in one go. That's a little over 20% more load. And in heavy rains, when one needs to use the highest wiper speed, the overhead is even higher.

Visibility aids are an extremely poor choice for cost cutting. Zero marks to Toyota for this one.
Old 13th September 2011, 22:32   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey KPS, just saw the above link. Well, I think some folks are going overboard in flogging the poor car for whatever reasons. Yes, there are certain issues, especially on NVH. But then things are being taken to ridiculous levels. The home page of the link is listing innumerable problems in a single car, many of them difficult to believe to be true.
I agree with you on this. But at the same time there are not many satisfied Etios owners either. Make a quick visit to the nearest Etios dealer, You could see lot of unsold petrol Etios. A few months back, the waiting list was over 6 months. What happened suddenly? Main reason could be the Petrol price hike and petrol cars suddenly become out of favor of Indians. Another reason, the Etios did not meet the expectations of the customers who bought it. Toyota thought indians need cheap car, and with the T brand, they will be able to sell any thing. They sacrificed quality for price. Now they learned the lesson. Toyota has many cars that are suitable for Indian roads, discontinue Etios and bring Yaris/Echo etc and offer it at a slightly higher price, but with better qualiry. Right now, Indian Customers are expecting quality products from Toyota, not cheap ones, that is the fact.

Last edited by teamveevee : 13th September 2011 at 22:35.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 22:59   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

Well, with 2 wipers, each has to cover 130 or 140 degrees of a circle in one go. With a single wiper, it has to cover 180 degrees in one go. That's a little over 20% more load. And in heavy rains, when one needs to use the highest wiper speed, the overhead is even higher.

Visibility aids are an extremely poor choice for cost cutting. Zero marks to Toyota for this one.
With heavy Wiper motor, there should not be any issue. If you remember, Merc also had the same design, and it worked excellently in International market. If you go through the owner's review on forum, they are rather satisfies with mono wiper design. There is absolutely no way that visibility is sacrificed with this design.
Old 13th September 2011, 23:20   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I agree with you on this. But at the same time there are not many satisfied Etios owners either. Make a quick visit to the nearest Etios dealer, You could see lot of unsold petrol Etios. A few months back, the waiting list was over 6 months. What happened suddenly? Main reason could be the Petrol price hike and petrol cars suddenly become out of favor of Indians. Another reason, the Etios did not meet the expectations of the customers who bought it. Toyota thought indians need cheap car, and with the T brand, they will be able to sell any thing. They sacrificed quality for price. Now they learned the lesson. Toyota has many cars that are suitable for Indian roads, discontinue Etios and bring Yaris/Echo etc and offer it at a slightly higher price, but with better qualiry. Right now, Indian Customers are expecting quality products from Toyota, not cheap ones, that is the fact.
No denying your right to dislike Etios or the right of Indians to reject it! Only thing is if I allow my perceptions to be clouded by unsubstantiated inputs, guess who's the loser? It's me, of course! That's the only limited point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
With heavy Wiper motor, there should not be any issue. If you remember, Merc also had the same design, and it worked excellently in International market. If you go through the owner's review on forum, they are rather satisfies with mono wiper design. There is absolutely no way that visibility is sacrificed with this design.
My personal experience is that single wiper does have a little limitation in the dark of the night during heavy rains as the wiper sweep takes a wee bit longer to reach the driver side glass area. It necessitates greater attention on the part of the driver. I would take the dual wiper though it does leave a little unclean area in the middle, because it caters to the more critical situation in the night. Haven't had a lot of experience so far in the rains. Folks living in areas who get lots of rains can probably throw more light on this.
Old 14th September 2011, 00:14   #149

Quote:
Hey KPS, just saw the above link. Well, I think some folks are going overboard in flogging the poor car for whatever reasons. Yes, there are certain issues, especially on NVH. But then things are being taken to ridiculous levels. The home page of the link is listing innumerable problems in a single car, many of them difficult to believe to be true. Just sample these

Now, do you see any such observations by any of the users on this forum?

Big deal! Lotsa cars give even a smaller wheel set!

Big deal again! Even ANHC always came with single remote.
Also, regarding the missing EPDM gaskets on the door, nobody on the forum has had any water seepage issue. vid6639 has the following to say on this in his review thread on Etios Diesel

The inputs on this issue are very well substantiated by owning Toyota ETIOS for 7 months and feeling the pain of the ownership.
Absence of weather gaskets gives a shabby look when you open the doors and I feel hesitant to invite anyone to sit in my ETIOS.

Please go through the FAQ section mentioned in the Purchase Experience section of the website. This FAQ was handed over to Toyota dealers to convince customers according to the objections.
This is the real experience and change around of the support from the dealer and the company after the sales has happened.

The people who were promoting ETIOS before sales started terming ETIOS as cheap and what more an you get at this cost.
But for me it was 7.5L for Toyota ETIOS V.
Old 14th September 2011, 01:11   #150
BHPian

If you check the website and go through the posts, there you will notice a lot of posts have been written in a similar way/ wordings making one suspicious of a foul play.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks