Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2011, 02:53   #151
BHPian

Re: Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
With heavy Wiper motor, there should not be any issue. If you remember, Merc also had the same design, and it worked excellently in International market. If you go through the owner's review on forum, they are rather satisfies with mono wiper design. There is absolutely no way that visibility is sacrificed with this design.
Not sure if I agree with this. Personal preference probably, but unless the single wiper is a controlled-single-arm (am guessing the merc had one), considering the seating position of a driver, a standard single wiper definitely seems to offer lower visibility than a tandem arrangement. Probably the butterfly wipers (Opposed system) offer best visibility.

Please refer this image

Source: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/wiper-coverage.gif
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2011, 13:15   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish myetios View Post
The inputs on this issue are very well substantiated by owning Toyota ETIOS for 7 months and feeling the pain of the ownership.
Absence of weather gaskets gives a shabby look when you open the doors and I feel hesitant to invite anyone to sit in my ETIOS.

Please go through the FAQ section mentioned in the Purchase Experience section of the website. This FAQ was handed over to Toyota dealers to convince customers according to the objections.
This is the real experience and change around of the support from the dealer and the company after the sales has happened.

The people who were promoting ETIOS before sales started terming ETIOS as cheap and what more an you get at this cost.
But for me it was 7.5L for Toyota ETIOS V.
Hey Munish_myetios,

Welcome to team-bhp.

Hey, are you the same guy (Munish Ahuja of myetios.com with all the problems about the car)?

Either way, we are all ears about your issues with the car. Especially, functional issues. Aesthetic / looks related issues in my view are irrelevant, as one buys a car with eyes open.

And yes, have a great fulfilling time on this wonderful forum.
Old 14th September 2011, 16:55   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey Munish_myetios,

Welcome to team-bhp.

Hey, are you the same guy (Munish Ahuja of myetios.com with all the problems about the car)?
If this is really true, then great to have you over here. welcome Munish. In one of my earlier posts on this very thread I had made this wish that you join TBHP & make all the facts crystal clear. There are lot of potential Etios owners like me who would be benefited from your clarifications & would be able to make an informed decision, whether to go for this car or not.

Please tell us the whole story. Didn't you get any kind of response from TKM? (forget about the dealer, most are there only to make sales)
Old 14th September 2011, 17:20   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not sure if I agree with this. Personal preference probably, but unless the single wiper is a controlled-single-arm (am guessing the merc had one), considering the seating position of a driver, a standard single wiper definitely seems to offer lower visibility than a tandem arrangement. Probably the butterfly wipers (Opposed system) offer best visibility.
Merc has a controlled single arm wiper as shown in the picture. It retracts as it moves towards the centre from the edges and extends back to the full length as it moves away from the centre towards the edges to cover most part of the windscreen. I don't think that the Etios' parallelogram linkage wiper sweeps as effectively as the Merc setup.
Old 14th September 2011, 19:29   #155
DRC
BHPian

I am surprised by the very existence of this thread! Toyota with problems?!

I do not see an issue with absence of weather strips on the door. Fiat cars (palio) also does not have them. But they do have the gasket on the door aperture just as shown in the pics in this thread on an Etios. That said, I think the issue could be design of the same and the quality of material.

Even more surprising is the response from Toyota (or lack of it). I had always heard they are the best among the lot. Or should we wait for them to do a methodic root cause analysis for months/years and announce a recall?
After reading the thread it sounds like Toyota is just another Tata with a 'yo' in between!
Old 14th September 2011, 21:09   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I have known a case of clutch being burnt by driving 5 kms with handbrake on. Not even riding the clutch. Yes by riding the clutch too one can burn the clutch within a few kms.
Actually when I bought my car, the first 5 Kms I ran with Handbreaks on. But After that I have driven like 25KM+ and haven't even changed the clutch even once with my car. The car clutches are still UVA (young).
Old 14th September 2011, 21:31   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If this is really true, then great to have you over here. welcome Munish.
That indeed seems to be the case. Here is the introductory post

Quote:
Hi Friends

I am myetios. I am happy to be here. I am an Engineering graduate and a Business Management post graduate. I stay in Delhi.
I feel privileged to have been honored with the team-BHP membership. I am a frequent visitor to the website and had always appreciated the sincere comments from the members.
I own Wagon R and Toyota ETIOS is my second car. Toyota and myself have some things in common. Tyoota made ETIOS pehli baar (first time). I became a writer pehli baar(first time).
I specialize in maruti Wagon R and Toyota ETIOS as I own both of them.
I hope we will all learn from each others experiences.
Best Regards
myetios
my-toyota-etios-sedan-homepage
Welcome Munish once again. You can post your introduction as a separate thread.

While you share your Etios experiences, can you also share the details of the genesis and evolution of the website you've mentioned in the above post? Also noted through your another post that you're looking at the possibility to sell off your Etios.

We are keenly looking forward to hearing from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I do not see an issue with absence of weather strips on the door. Fiat cars (palio) also does not have them. But they do have the gasket on the door aperture just as shown in the pics in this thread on an Etios. That said, I think the issue could be design of the same and the quality of material.
Thanks for sharing your experience with Palio. Even I do not understand what the issue is all about. Just a couple of days ago, my wife was outside the car (Etios, of course) and was shouting to tell me something. Inside the cabin, with window glasses rolled up, I could not hear a thing! If no sound can trickle inside, I wonder how water would seep in.

Quote:
Even more surprising is the response from Toyota (or lack of it). I had always heard they are the best among the lot. Or should we wait for them to do a methodic root cause analysis for months/years and announce a recall?
After reading the thread it sounds like Toyota is just another Tata with a 'yo' in between!
I understand Toyota has been responding promptly though solutions may not have come forth immediately / as yet. Let us wait for the dust of teething problems in a new car to settle down to see if Toyota has indeed lost its 'yo' and has started yo-yoing on quality like the Tatas!
Old 15th September 2011, 00:31   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey Munish_myetios,

Welcome to team-bhp.

Either way, we are all ears about your issues with the car. Especially, functional issues. Aesthetic / looks related issues in my view are irrelevant, as one buys a car with eyes open.

And yes, have a great fulfilling time on this wonderful forum.
Thanks Radiant Karma, I am the same Munish Ahuja from Delhi.
I am happy to be among you all. Interestingly, I started this website to avoid the personal derogatory remarks from people commenting on my feedbacks some famous websites but it actually brought together many people facing problems in their ETIOS. Actually I thought that I was alone who had problem in ETIOS as dealer also said the same to me.
Old 15th September 2011, 00:45   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If this is really true, then great to have you over here. welcome Munish. In one of my earlier posts on this very thread I had made this wish that you join TBHP & make all the facts crystal clear. There are lot of potential Etios owners like me who would be benefited from your clarifications & would be able to make an informed decision, whether to go for this car or not.

Please tell us the whole story. Didn't you get any kind of response from TKM? (forget about the dealer, most are there only to make sales)
Yes, I remember you guiding me to this forum, In my 3rd attempt my membership has been approved.
Well I am more frustrated with the following factors
1) Huge claims about Quality before the purchase.
2) My bad experiences about Quality of the Toyota ETIOS.
3) The dealer who made huge claims started showing me Corolla Altis bonnet and comparing with ETIOS bonnet to comment that I am experiencing vibrations because a very poor material (poor quality dampers) has been used in ETIOS. And what can I expect at this price?
These were really disappointing moments for me as my dealer was also confirming that ETIOS is a cheap quality product. I felt cheated and betrayed. Because I had already purchased it? Was it my fault? No!
Initially, I also felt that Toyota can not be wrong but later when I approached voc@toyota-kirloskar.com, their shying responses confirmed my doubts.
It was really funny to see that Toyota Dealers were reading and giving explanations based on funny reasoning about ETIOS issues. For every specific customer objection there was a funny reasoning. All these objections were taken from myself and customers like me who personally went for the servicing.
Munish myetios is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 10:14   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) The dealer who made huge claims started showing me Corolla Altis bonnet and comparing with ETIOS bonnet to comment that I am experiencing vibrations because a very poor material (poor quality dampers) has been used in ETIOS. And what can I expect at this price?
These were really disappointing moments for me as my dealer was also confirming that ETIOS is a cheap quality product. I felt cheated and betrayed.
Welcome to TBHP. Now I just visited your site and honestly and sincerely I failed to see the so called problems. Most of them are about high NVH levels and poor mileage, someone was complaining about just one reverse light and so on. I will really appreciate if you post your car's issue in detail here so that we can all judge for ourselves.

Regarding the dealer telling you its a cheap product: I feel you misinterpreted him. Compared to the Altis you will find cost cutting in the etios. There is a reason why you can buy almost 3 Etios cars instead of just 1 Altis. Otherwise also dealers in India are not the best people to interact as most have not much idea about what they are really selling. We have countless experiences in the forum about total lack of knowledge of the Dealer/SA.

Looking forward to an in depth report about the problems being faced by you.

Regards,
Mohit
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 11:10   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I am more frustrated with the following factors
No doubt Toyota started the Etios campaign with "Q class" & this set the expectations very high. Common man started dreaming of the Toyota Quality at a very competitive price.

Quote:
That is absolutely crap on the part of the dealer. How can he compare a 14 lacs car with a 6 lacs one. Then we can show him how the Altis bonnet is of low quality compared to the Fortuner or an E class Merc for that matter. He should compare it with the bonnets of similarly priced cars (a Dezire, Manza or a Verito) & then comment

Quote:
These were really disappointing moments for me as my dealer was also confirming that ETIOS is a cheap quality product. I felt cheated and betrayed. Because I had already purchased it? Was it my fault? No!
Initially, I also felt that Toyota can not be wrong but later when I approached voc@toyota-kirloskar.com, their shying responses confirmed my doubts.
It is but natural to feel that way. What is astonishing is the fact that TKM has kept mum all this while. If they are really so confident about their product quality then why are they not entertaining your complaints, strange
Old 15th September 2011, 11:30   #162
Senior - BHPian

What I don't understand is why Toyota took this utter low cost route with the Etios. It is a known fact that Indians are ready to pay a little premium for brands like Honda & Toyota.

They could have launched a more 'complete' car, if I may put it that way, and priced it a little higher (Case in point - Honda City). People would have still bought it. With Toyota & Honda, expectations are also high.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 12:23   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
What I don't understand is why Toyota took this utter low cost route with the Etios. It is a known fact that Indians are ready to pay a little premium for brands like Honda & Toyota.

They could have launched a more 'complete' car, if I may put it that way, and priced it a little higher (Case in point - Honda City). People would have still bought it. With Toyota & Honda, expectations are also high.
I disagree with you over the premium pricing of the hatch from Toyota. Had they launched the Yaris in India at a price of the Jazz (older pricing), it would have definitely bombed, & there is nothing special about Yaris except reliability & mileage, as compared to Jazz, which has a better engine & more (flexible) space inside.
Further, Toyota did not had the manufacturing capacities for the small car, which would have ensured that pricing of premium hatch at an astronomical tag or TKML making loss on every Yaris sold (impossible for any business).
I believe TKML are ramping up their manufacturing facilities in the new plant, before a premium small car & entry level sedan are launched, for which the Etios/ Liva serve the purpose like the Qualis did almost a decade back.

But, still there are few glaring omissions in these two cars which are a definite no-no in current scenario unlike in the past decade.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:47   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I disagree with you over the premium pricing of the hatch from Toyota. Had they launched the Yaris in India at a price of the Jazz (older pricing), it would have definitely bombed, & there is nothing special about Yaris except reliability & mileage, as compared to Jazz, which has a better engine & more (flexible) space inside.
Further, Toyota did not had the manufacturing capacities for the small car, which would have ensured that pricing of premium hatch at an astronomical tag or TKML making loss on every Yaris sold (impossible for any business).
I believe TKML are ramping up their manufacturing facilities in the new plant, before a premium small car & entry level sedan are launched, for which the Etios/ Liva serve the purpose like the Qualis did almost a decade back.

But, still there are few glaring omissions in these two cars which are a definite no-no in current scenario unlike in the past decade.
I referred to the pricing of the Etios here. The Liva is overpriced and since the hatchback market has so much to choose from, there are much better options available.

With the Etios, Toyota has created a cheap product that not many of us Bhpians aspire to own, even with that great petrol engine. They could have created the right balance between cheap / good quality.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:10   #165
BHPian

The NVH levels in my car are way better now. It's no longer the 'sporty' engine thing (as one dealer had justified during the TD). Few things I believe helped.

The ODO is now close to 4K and I notice that the engine noise (from the outside, compared to earlier) has reduced substantially.
Got 3M Sun films installed (CR70 for the front windshield + CS20 for the rear and windows).
Picked up a boot mat from the dealer as well.

Hope the above helped in reducing the NVH in the cabin.
If any of you have got the 3M rubberized under-body coating for your Etios, can you share if it helped further reducing the NVH ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed