Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 15:49   #286
BHPian

Re: Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Toyota s goal is clearly not to impress enthusiasts and has not been known as a brand which built adorably beautiful cars but known for hassle free ownership for years together, so lets observe the fact before setting very high expectations on Etios.
Very correctly said. Lot of non users said Liva is not VFM vehicle. But I just feel that an engine that is made in Japan, can be given away for a cheap prices? Every one is complaining about the interiors, plastic etc. Apart from that there are so many positive points like the driving comfort, space etc. I am a happy customer of this vehicle and certainly recommend others.
kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 07:44   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
Toyota s goal is clearly not to impress enthusiasts and has not been known as a brand which built adorably beautiful cars but known for hassle free ownership for years together, so lets observe the fact before setting very high expectations on Etios.
Very true. I did my first service ( Express Service ) of the Etios and is very happy with the way, the service was handled by Toyota Service, Nettoor, Cochin. Professional, Innovative and Punctual. The whole process took just 2 hours.

While I was waiting for the car to be serviced, I talked with an Innova owner ( 70,000 kms service ). He gave very good feedback on Toyota Service. He mentioned that the maintenance cost of his innova is much cheaper than that of his Swift DDiS. That was re-assuring for me.

My first experience with Toyota Service is good. I hope, it stays that way through out the life of the vehicle.

Last edited by amalji : 10th November 2011 at 07:52.
Old 10th November 2011, 08:23   #288
BHPian

Totally agree with you amalji. Infact Etios and Liva is a great product. Not to mention Toyota Service too.

Toyota cars dont attract you instantly. But you get attracted to toyota after few years by its After Sales service, Reliability, NVH related and awesome passenger comfort.

Can anyone buy Good After Sales Service, Passenger comfort as accessories in the Market??? Thats the secret of Toyota Cars !!!
Hero Puch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 09:15   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munish myetios View Post
Please go and check Innova or any small car from any manufacturer for the weather gaskets.IT IS PRESENT IN ALL CARS EVEN NANO, MARUTI 800.
I respect your individuality and expect the same in return. I would request you to refrain from using non respectful language.
I am here only to discuss the problems being faced as an ETIOS owner. I do not have anything personal with you.
I am here for a purpose to voice my issues. If you have any ETIOS issue join my voice or else you can voice your concerns without passing remarks on me.
Let me again reiterate that I have spent my hard earned money for buying this Toyota ETIOS and I have all the right to share my experiences.
Toyota ETIOS has the design flaw of missing weather gaskets because the design was copied from Mahindra Renault Logan which has a modification in doors to accommodate the use of half weather gaskets. But in Toyota ETIOS, the Toyota ETIOS Engineers missed the catch and copied the design from Logan and also missed the crucial weather gaskets.
It becomes very embarrassing to invite someone in my car and you find the doors are all dirty because of missing gasket. It becomes a big humiliation for the owner and also the Toyota Motor Corporation Japan.
TKM is sitting silent, actually they should defend the missing weather gasket. But the TKM is just ignoring the fact and taking help of internet reviews to suppress the issue to AVOID RECALL.But the people who are suffering after spending 8L will not spare Toyota for this.
Today the customers are not together , but the day all join together Toyota will be in big deep trouble.
Munish, do you have pictures of the Logan? As far as I have seen the Logan does not have any gaskets as well on the door. I'm not sure what half gaskets you are referring to.

Also, dust gets into the inside of the door in almost every car. My Altis and my Figo have outside mud after driving through rain. Both these cars have 2 gaskets on the door and one on the door frame.

There are different designs. Toyota could have given the gaskets in the door and then the frame would have only a rubber beading. Instead they gave the gasket in the frame and not in the door.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 09:33   #290
BHPian

I was going through this link thought of sharing it.

Toyota Recalls 420,000 Cars, SUVs and Minivans - KickingTires
Old 10th November 2011, 09:38   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Also, dust gets into the inside of the door in almost every car. My Altis and my Figo have outside mud after driving through rain. Both these cars have 2 gaskets on the door and one on the door frame.
+1 to this.

I do my vento's cleaning on a daily basis - wash it if its too dirty, or just brush around with a Jopasu duster. Almost every day, I have to clear the dust from the inner portions of my door.
@Munish - I can give you pics that would compliment your etios pics (inside doors), wouldn't see much difference.

IMO, I think this thread has outlived its purpose.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 12:54   #292
Senior - BHPian

@munish, as vid6639 mentioned, comparitive photos would help understand the issue. In the pic posted on a previous page, the frame is shown and it has a gasket. I checked the frame of my Baleno and it looks the same - nothing amiss seen in Etios. Since your issue is about gasket missing in the door, do post a snap of the door.

And like others mentioned, dust does get accumulated between the door and frame area for all cars. I doubt it is possible to avoid this.

Regarding cockroaches etc getting into car when doors are open, how long do we keep doors open anyway - just about a few seconds to enter/exit car or load stuff. But if you leave doors open for long, ofcourse pests could enter any car.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 13:29   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I can understand your frustration but lets keep such comparisons away to have any meaningful discussion. You haven't really sat in a Tata truck have you?

From your pictures it really looks ugly mate. This is a serious design flaw. I doubt Toyota will do anything about this other then may be adding the gaskets on the door. In that case you might get the gaskets fixed from the dealer. Till then I think you have very little choice but to live with this defect.

You should try and keep your website a little more clean. When I last visited the site, I read many complaints which were really very amateurish at best like customer complaining about one reverse light not functioning. Such comments take away all the credibility out of your effort.

Now lets not get personal. I asked for this when you choose to not reply for almost a month ( and more) when asked to tell about your problems. Also if owners of the car like you will not update the thread, then the thread just goes into an un-necessary debate between Toyota fans and others which becomes very childish and obscure.

So what did they Toyota people do since they acknowledged the extra NVH levels in your car? BTW have you got an underbody coating done? Its supposed to help reducing the NVH and if you haven't got it, may be you can ask the dealer to do it for free citing your issues with the car.
Because of my professional commitments I have to be away from the discussion. But I will always return back till I own my Toyota ETIOS. My parked vehicle always give me the energy to write and share my woes with learned people like you.

I also acknowledge that my language might not be the best but after being deceived with 8 Lakhs by Toyota, this is the best I can represent of my myself.
My website contains the actual user experience it is not like the goodie-goodie grafted review of Toyota ETIOS by biased writers.
I respect each and every owners sincere comments. Please appreciate the fact that all the automobile customers belong to different environments and education levels.
We must respect each one's issue and resolve that by educating them and forbid ourselves from passing comments at them.These are the only people who have trusted Toyota and invested their hard earned money.
In today's scenario we must acknowledge every automobile customer as he always has an option of investing his money and growing it rather than buying an automobile and getting it depreciated.
I have tried my best to solve the NVH issue , I have got a underbody coating done from my expenses to overcome the design flaws by ETIOS Engineering Team.
Actually the ETIOS design was copied from Logan but the Toyota Engineers failed to copy the design properly from Logan and that has resulted in to the missing weather gaskets.
Logan also does not have conventional weather gaskets but does have the provision to counter the deficiency by elongating and extending the doors till roof and strategically placing the rubber beading on the roof and side pillers to control dust and dirt and water and also NVH performance.
POOR and LAZY design by Toyota ETIOS team.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints-loganinteriors.jpg  

Munish myetios is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 14:26   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Munish, do you have pictures of the Logan? As far as I have seen the Logan does not have any gaskets as well on the door. I'm not sure what half gaskets you are referring to.

There are different designs. Toyota could have given the gaskets in the door and then the frame would have only a rubber beading. Instead they gave the gasket in the frame and not in the door.
Please refer the images showing the beading/ rubber insulation present in the Logan doors. If yo observe Logan doors one can easily identify that the doors are little extended at the area touching the roof and there is a rubber beading on the roof and pillers of Logan to counter the problem of water seepage and dust accumulation.
You are right Logan does not have the standard design weather gaskets but the doors are elongated and stretched and there is rubber beading which takes care of the rest of the problems of water and NVH too.

Please again observe the difference i your Altis, Alto and then compare with ETIOS. The images I have shown with dust and dirt are not of rainy season, my ETIOS is parked with roofed parking space, but still the dust enters inside. It is all dry dust which gets accumulated within few hours.

TOYOTA HAS TRIED TO COPY THE DESIGN FROM LOGAN AND THE TOYOTA ETIOS MISSED THE WEATHER GASKETS. POOR AND LAZY ENGINEERING FROM TOYOTA ETIOS TEAM.
TOYOTA ETIOS TEAM WAS GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO PROVE THEMSELVES BY INDEPENDENTLY WORKING ON THE PROJECT AND LAUNCHING THE ETIOS IN INDIA FIRST. BUT TOYOTA ETIOS TEAM HAS SPOILED THE IMAGE OF TOYOTA BY DESIGNING A POOR PRODUCT AND NOW BY IMPOSING IT ON THE INDIAN BUYERS.
TOYOTA PLEASE WAKE UP BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustrated Etios owner places Ad with complaints-loganinteriors.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th November 2011, 03:27   #295
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering, wouldnt it be possible to just add EPDM gaskets to the car?

Fitment would be certainly tough, and the gaskets would have to be glued to the door / body, but it is certainly possible.

If any Kolkata Etios owner is suffering from this issue and wants to do some DIY, I can get you the appropriate gaskets after inspecting the car..

Last edited by AbhiJ : 13th November 2011 at 03:29.
AbhiJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 11:55   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I was wondering, wouldnt it be possible to just add EPDM gaskets to the car?

Fitment would be certainly tough, and the gaskets would have to be glued to the door / body, but it is certainly possible.

If any Kolkata Etios owner is suffering from this issue and wants to do some DIY, I can get you the appropriate gaskets after inspecting the car..
@Abhi - The fact is that Munish is trying to create a mountain out of a mole. I was also worried about this design when I saw the website of Munish before buying this car. I talked with many people about this design, and they all mentioned that it's a common design used. It's there in Ikon, Palio, Punto and Verito. Even a very respected person in Maruti told me not to bias my buying decision based on this design because Etios is such a good car.

I've used the car for 3 weeks now, and find it really easy to clean the area that Munish mentioned. Also, don't feel that it's dirtier than the outside of the car. In fact, I felt that it was more clean than the outside.

Regardless, we really appreciate your offer to help fellow members. But, I'm not sure, if @Munish will be satisfied with your help.

Last edited by amalji : 14th November 2011 at 11:57.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:37   #297
BHPian

Hello All, especially drmohitg, amalji and RadiantKarma. I was in Kerala for two weeks and had a chance to spend some time with an Etios G, owned by my co-brother-in-law. For a background, he has owned a Maruti 800 and an Indica Xeta in the past and he takes care of his cars like a baby. So, after spending around two weeks with an Etios which is one month old, here are my observations.
1. Even though the engine looks spartan, the drive-train is good. The engine-gearbox combo is nice and peppy for a car of it's size and no complaints in ths department.
2. Handling is neutral, ride is good (but I think that the ride is even better in the Logan).
3. NVH could be better, but I found it acceptable (during normal driving).
4. The meters look tacky and looks like it's been taken from the Premier Padmini age. But visibility is not compromised and I did not find any difficulty in getting adjusted to the centre console.
5. A/C is very effective.
6. Now, to the bad bits I noticed. The cable release for the hood is the worst part in the car. In the above said car, if you pull the release knob, the entire assemble comes out into your hand and you have to press it back into position.
There is an annoying rattling noise already started from the left side of the dash.
As of now, these are the two things I've noticed and the car will go for first service this week. Will update on the status of the issues after the service is done.

In my opinion, the drive-train and suspension are good, but it is let down by some mediocre bits inside the cabin. I still feel that Toyota should iron out these defects if they want to be successful in the ever-demanding budget segment.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 12:21   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
@Abhi - The fact is that Munish is trying to create a mountain out of a mole. I was also worried about this design when I saw the website of Munish before buying this car. I talked with many people about this design, and they all mentioned that it's a common design used. It's there in Ikon, Palio, Punto and Verito. Even a very respected person in Maruti told me not to bias my buying decision based on this design because Etios is such a good car.

I've used the car for 3 weeks now, and find it really easy to clean the area that Munish mentioned. Also, don't feel that it's dirtier than the outside of the car. In fact, I felt that it was more clean than the outside.

Regardless, we really appreciate your offer to help fellow members. But, I'm not sure, if @Munish will be satisfied with your help.
Please visit the Mahindra showroom and then make the comment - "ETIOS and Verito have the same weather gasket design". I believe you are more experienced than me in automobiles and how you can miss the difference in wather gaskets. I would request you to please observe the weather gaskets and shielding present in Logan or Verito but it is missing in ETIOS.

It takes intelligence to copy the design and more intelligence to spot the difference.

Please be honest in your comments as we are just the buyers and not the manufacturers. Your views are PRO and my views are CON. But ultimately it is good for the prospective buyer to read such good debates.

Before buying ETIOS I was driving cars but never thought that NVH could be so important for the driver and passengers. But Toyota ETIOS taught me the significance and existence of Noise, Vibration in the car. If the car is Noisy and vibrating, then it is not comfortable car.Toyota ETIOS is not a comforable car.

If Toyota would have only copied the design from Logan it would have been still a good car with Toyota badge. But the half copying and half effort has resulted in a half cooked product, which will only spoil the taste of Indian buyers for a very long time.

Toyota did not design a good ETIOS car. It is a compromise car.
Munish myetios is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 12:28   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
In the above said car, if you pull the release knob, the entire assemble comes out into your hand and you have to press it back into position.
There is an annoying rattling noise already started from the left side of the dash.
As of now, these are the two things I've noticed and the car will go for first service this week. Will update on the status of the issues after the service is done.

In my opinion, the drive-train and suspension are good, but it is let down by some mediocre bits inside the cabin. I still feel that Toyota should iron out these defects if they want to be successful in the ever-demanding budget segment.
These are obvious quality issues, and Toyota will have to sort these out as you have mentioned. The customer will not accept quality related concerns from a Toyota, since one is anyway compromising with those spartan interiors, quirky cost-cutting measures and lack of equipment.

Since you have singled some of us out for attention, let me share here that I have, in my ownership thread, brought out the issue of mild rattling in dash (resolved by A$$) and mild vibrations in the cabin at idle (not resolved). I have even recommended to some of my friends Jazz, Citys and Vento over Etios as I felt those cars would meet their requirements best.

The effort here on my part ('cos my overall experience is positive for the strengths the car has) has been to remove widespread misconceptions arising out of apparently unautheticated problem reports. If it gets proven that Etios does have several such quality issues, market must give it thumbs down, and I will join the band too!

And yup, Logan certainly offers superior ride quality.

Thanks for sharing the observations. Pl. keep updating.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:10   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
@Abhi - that it's a common design used. It's there in Ikon, Palio, Punto and Verito.
Both Palio and Logan/ Verito has similar design of gasket. BUT has ADDITIONAL gasket, as Munish explained, which will be in contact with the top of the doors when closed.

I will upload the pictures later.

We own a Palio Petrol and Logan Diesel. A test drive of Etios Diesel doesn't impress me at all. Etios is noisier inside and ride is not so good when compared with the Logan.

Last edited by vinodv001 : 15th November 2011 at 14:17. Reason: added Munish's reference
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed