Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 00:02   #1

Buying an Indian car from a diplomat in Delhi?

I am a newbie in Delhi and am planning to purchase an indian make car from a diplomat who is presently in Delhi, India but leaving soon. I cannot find any info on how to re- register this blue CD number plate car in new Delhi. I believe I will have to shell out road tax too, as diplomats do not have to pay it. Does anyone here have any idea what all this may entail? I also need finance for the car ( Maruti make, 2007). If anyone could guide me about the procedure or guide me to some agent in Delhi who can handle this, I would really appreciate the guidance. Thanks in advance. Request admin to move this thread to the correct place in case I have posted it in the wrong one.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying an Indian car from a diplomat in Delhi?

I am not really sure about the process but one such car was registered without any issues. Check this thread - Link.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:06   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari dude View Post
Does anyone here have any idea what all this may entail? I also need finance for the car ( Maruti make, 2007). If anyone could guide me about the procedure or guide me to some agent in Delhi who can handle this, I would really appreciate the guidance.
What is the make and model of the car that you plan to purchase/have purchased?

You need to have the invoice of the car when it was imported to India and the import clearance documents. There has to be a valuation of the vehicle done by any RTO authorised valuer.

I have friend who is an ex-embassy employee and can help you with other details once we have the answers to these initial questions.

PS: I m not an agent/will not take you to any agent.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:45   #4

n.devdath, thanks for your msg. The car in question is a maruti SX4, not a foreign car but an indian one. Please tell me your email/ phone no so that I can speak to you as this is a bit urgent, I will be highly obliged. Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:32   #5
BHPian

You will need the sale letter, original invoice, form 29, form 30 and copy of insurance IIRC.
The RTO will charge road tax on the original value of the car. I have gone thru the whole process when i had purchased an imported car from an embassy in Delhi. To cut short the hassles, get hold of a reliable agent. PM me if you need details of the agent who had helped me get my car registered.
kamal.sn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:21   #6
BHPian

I hope I am not causing any unnecessary confusion.

The most important thing you need to check is if the seller received any tax exemption on his/her purchase, due to it being considered a deemed export at the time of sale by the manufacturer i.e. sale to an overseas diplomat in India.

If not, then you do not have any unpleasent surprises waiting for you.If yes, you should find out if there is any tax liability at the time the vehicle is sold by the concerned diplomat in India and then decide. .

Last edited by RS_DEL : 22nd August 2011 at 21:23.
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:25   #7

Its a personal car not an embassy vehicle and the invoice does not show any exemption. However a C Form shows. A dealer rebate of one lakh fourteen thousand rupees. What is this c Form thing, any ideas?
Apart from this paper all seem to be in order.mea clearance is also available.The insurance value of the car is rupees 4.2 but the asking price is 4.4.and he has not paid any road tax on it.The initial exemption for road tax was till 2008.but as far as I gather no road tax has been paid to date. Am not really sure If I should go for the deal since I anticipate the following:
road tax @4%per year x20 yrs =28000/
registration =5000
battery =4000
maybe New tires (stock ones are 3yrs oldthough not worn out much )=25000
so I will have to shell out more money and that would increase the cost of ownership to five lacs plus
therefore thinking is it really worth it despite the fact that it has run less than 15000kms since it was bought.
All suggestions regarding the deal are welcome please!
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

safiri dude, i just want to ask, why do you want the all the additional hassle of RT, transfer, etc etc, for an SX4, and that too an indian spec?
The draw of the price doesnt seem to be much(4.4, you said? without the additinal expenses and headaches?)
Old 23rd August 2011, 14:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
safiri dude, i just want to ask, why do you want the all the additional hassle of RT, transfer, etc etc, for an SX4, and that too an indian spec?
The draw of the price doesnt seem to be much(4.4, you said? without the additinal expenses and headaches?)
Its not been run much firstly and is very well maintained. That's the USP nothing else. In Delhi, can't find a car of similar vinatge/ model which has run less than 25000 kms
Old 25th August 2011, 09:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However a C Form shows.
C Form is common terms used to describe Concessional sales tax which is mostly @ 2 % on interstate transactions . But I seriously doubt any Individual can give this form . Most likely the copy of Invoice that you have seen is invoice raised by Maruti on there Delhi Dealer .

Old SX 4 with all these RTO hassles @ 4 Lac +

Offer him Rs 2 Lac and give your cell number to the seller - explain him all the hassles that you or any other buyer will have to get this car done roadworthy for a commoner .
Old 30th September 2011, 12:00   #11
An1
BHPian

Hi

I'm looking to buy a Camry available at an embassy in New Delhi. Wanted to know what will be the duties applicable on the car for applying for new registration number.

The car is a 2002 model and having a embassy number. Being an Indian citizen, I will have to register it in my name. I wanted to know:

1. What duties will be applicable on the car? (I believe it will be 12% on the price that was paid by the embassy while buying the car. i.e. (12% x approx. 12 - 13,00,000)?

2. Will I also have to pay Road Tax?

3. What documents I have to make sure I recieve from the embassy to avoid any registration hiccups in future?

If any of you have info. on any agents doing this, please let me know.
Old 5th November 2014, 13:49   #12
NKR
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to procure a Diplomat's car. I need an RTO agent who is accustomed to the rules and regulations in this regard. Can you please tell suggest some one.

Thanks and Regards
Old 28th July 2017, 07:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
You will need the sale letter, original invoice, form 29, form 30 and copy of insurance IIRC.
The RTO will charge road tax on the original value of the car. I have gone thru the whole process when i had purchased an imported car from an embassy in Delhi. To cut short the hassles, get hold of a reliable agent. PM me if you need details of the agent who had helped me get my car registered.

Hi. I had pm you. Can you pls provide details of that agent. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks