Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:55   #1
BHPian

Why don't others take a lesson from Maruti?- Authorised Spare Part Dealerships

About two months back, I decided to give my 11 year old Suzuki Zen (16V MPFi) a thorough restoration job. The preferred choice was Pandit & Co. in Okhla. The decision came mainly after seeing their work and their elite clientele.
The car required a thorough denting and painting work. Mr. Pradeep Pandit test drove my car and found no problems with the engine, according to him, it was (or is ) SOUND even though it has covered 123000km without a hitch. This is mainly due to me using premium fuel and getting all essentials including filters and oils changed every 5000km with MGP (Maruti Genuine Parts).

Mr. Pandit's style of work is very distinct. He clearly told me that it would be cheaper if I get him the parts that would be required. I agreed.

The parts included things like the bumpers, lights, front windshield, rubber beading, window garnishes, etc.
At first, I thought its going to be a nightmare trying to collect all these parts as parts like beadings etc. are not easily available in the market.

With a rather low expectation, I went to Alva Auto Spares in Faridabad which is a new Authorised MGP dealer in my area. The shop was barely a couple of months old when I went there.
The first impressions were good- clean floor, no foul smells, air-conditioned, three people in Maruti's own Uniform at the desk with LCD screens in front of them. The shop looked pretty neat.
Then, I handed over the list of items I required from them. The person behind the desk was courteous and patient enough to check each and every item, however big or small, irrespective of the cost on his computer's database and gave me prices of all the parts. They consulted the Parts Manual for my Zen for all my queries which was pretty neat. They had Parts Manual with them for all Maruti Cars neatly arranged in a cupboard.

I started collecting parts from them day after day, slowly and steadily in sync with the requirement at Pandit's workshop.
And believe me when I say this, not even a single item was left out, I got everything from this shop, some of the items were not available the same day but were ordered and arranged within 2-3 days. I couldn't complain.

At the end of all this, my car comes out looking new from Pandit's workshop like here- My Zen

Now, my question, why don't other manufacturers come up with this?

I own a 2010 Ford Fiesta S as my other car, its a beautiful car in and out, but, I find it rather inconvenient to go to the A.S.S for Genuine Parts. I have had a bad experience with Harpreet Ford, Gurgaon and it is one of the reasons I now get my cars serviced by Pandit and have vowed never to go back to that place.

Sometimes, there are a few jobs that I like to do myself, like, changing the air filter or doing a basic service like changing oil and filters. If I need genuine spare parts for my Fiesta, I am forced to go to the same A.S.S and get the job done by them. They do not allow "counter sales" is what I am told.

Recently, I got my Fiesta serviced by Pandit's and I specifically told them to use genuine parts, and they did, they got genuine Motorcraft filters etc. for me. But, for spares required for major services at higher mileage like say, the struts, springs, belts etc. I am not sure if they'd be able to collect genuine Ford spares and even if they could, I'd end up paying more than the price I would have at the A.S.S. In this case, I'd be forced to go back to the Ford A.S.S to get the work done .

I hope I made myself clear with my query. I need to know why other manufacturers do not come up with their own Genuine Spares outlets just like Maruti?
abhipuru16 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why don't others take a lesson from Maruti?- Authorised Spare Part Dealerships

In a way, not allowing 'counter sales' makes sure that only hands with expertise work on your car. Which is good for you and the company (lesser warranty claims).

But, considering the pathetic state of affairs of most A.S.S in our country, that is not the case.

Last edited by dhanushs : 23rd August 2011 at 23:19.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why don't others take a lesson from Maruti?- Authorised Spare Part Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
I need to know why other manufacturers do not come up with their own Genuine Spares outlets just like Maruti?
Tata, Mahindra & Maruti all sell OE/genuine spares. Either through spares out-lets or through the dealers (Concorde, Prerana etc). I guess most desi manufacturers (of other automobiles like bikes / heavy or farm equipment also do it).

It's the videshi guys like Ford, etc who dont sell spares outside. Even simple stuff like replacment headlamp bulbs.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:12   #4
BHPian

Other manufactures play a safe game buddy.

Maruti sells one small hatch makes about 30-40k profit on the car, other manufacturer like ford(exclude figo) or honda makes almost double the profit on every car sold.

End of the day if MSIL sells 10000 small cars and others sell 4000-5000 they are still happy.

Same theory with parts,MSIL sells more quantity, the leverage their cost with their suppliers, other manufacturers do not have the volumes of MSIL, they can not match the economies of scale, they have no option apart from charging the customer high amounts in order to keep margins intact.

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 23rd August 2011 at 23:13.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
It's actually a ploy to keep dealers happy. By locking you in. Same reason why you cannot get shop manuals and parts catalogues (except Maruti, and surprise surprise HM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Tata, Mahindra & Maruti all sell OE/genuine spares.
Couldn't get (body) parts for Vista across the counter, even from ***.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 24th August 2011, 08:09   #6
BHPian

Unfortunately the case of MSIL dealerships selling spares is not completely true. In my case an attempt to buy MGP from two big dealers in Noida failed. One of them then new did sell me spares but when they settled down and had enough customers they stopped selling OTC spares.

The shops in Car Market have genuine spares with them so that struggle isnt there anymore.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:08   #7
Team-BHP Support

Why just through retail outlets, manufacturers should come up with online stores for parts as well. Replacing an air filter can be done at home by anyone. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement with all the technology available.
I have easily managed to buy spares for Fiat cars across the counter (whenever available) as well. The same goes for Tata and Maruti cars. I am told Ford / Honda do not sell parts over the counter even at after sales & service stations. Any other manufacturers that do not?
Old 24th August 2011, 09:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Tata, Mahindra & Maruti all sell OE/genuine spares. Either through spares out-lets or through the dealers (Concorde, Prerana etc). I guess most desi manufacturers (of other automobiles like bikes / heavy or farm equipment also do it).

mahindra dont sell any spares in their dealerships any more.

if you want the spare parts you have too make the job card & pay the extra labor charges & take away the spares.

& they dont have authorized spares parts dealers in small towns or most of the district cities.

at least in Maharashtra.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jeepster, that is not very good news :(

@MF, I wish that was available to us.

IMO, by not giving us access to spares, they are losing out a huge opportunity.

Tata/MGP parts cost us the same where ever we buy it - over the counter at A.S.S, or at their spares outlets, or during servicing. The only difference is the labor charges for installation.

But when a Ford etc says that they have to open a Job card for tasks that take no tools, or tasks like replacement of head lamp bulbs .. what can you call their behaviour ?

The A.S.S & spares dealers already get their discounts since they buy the stuff directly through/from manufacturer. Since the buy is at a lower price & sell is at MRP, the selling outlet is already making it's profit. If they can count on this profit & open up availability to more vehicle owners, then they can expect at least some people to turn away from open market, third party spares and buy OE instead.
Old 24th August 2011, 11:58   #10
BHPian

I've fulminated against this in the past, and will do again. I feel this practice of locking you to the dealership to get spares is a monopolistic and restrictive trade practice. Someone needs to take it up and get a ruling from the MRTP authorities, or even the newly minted CCI (Competition Commission of India).

I can understand making some requirement for cars within warranty period, but surely thereafter I should have the freedom to buy spares and get my car repaired at any garage I wish?

When I had a Ford, even though the car was three years old when I purchased it, I resented having to go to the local Ford dealer, making the job card, and having to sit there the whole morning for a simple air-filter change.
filcord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 12:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

What is the need for a seperate authorized spare parts dealer if the car manufacturer authorized service centre has all the spares. Having said that it is the duty of the manufacturer to ensure that their service centres do have a sufficient stock of the fast moving goods. Would then there be any need for seperate part dealership.

To give an example of Shreeji Ford Thane, they do have a huge spares inventory at their workshop, I have seen the inventory stock. They have a repurtation of getting the required spare if unavailable from factory within 24 hrs even if it calls for an air freight. In a way its good that the spares are not available over the counter and if available at the Ford service centre can be assumed that they are genuine Ford spares.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What is the need for a seperate authorized spare parts dealer if the car manufacturer authorized service centre has all the spares.
Imagine you are going on a long trip, and would like to stock some basic parts like the HL bulbs, filters etc.. How would you feel when they charge 80bucks (min labour charge, I guess) for all the parts they give?
Old 24th August 2011, 14:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The Reason i take my cars to Authorised Service Stations post warranty is non availability of Genuine Spares in open market. I feel other manufacturers too should start selling spares over the counter, this surely will hurt the labour income through ASCs but it will help the consumers who now go with spurios spares, more so with Manufacturers with limited ASCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Unfortunately the case of MSIL dealerships selling spares is not completely true.
The Maruti Service Stations may not give you the spares over the counter, Maruti has appointed dealers exclusively to sell spares. The Gurgaon spares dealer is located on Old Delhi Road near Kataria chowk.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:22   #14
BANNED

I think the MRTPC has served notice on automotive vendors about the non-availability/supply of spares in the open market. Tthe same old arguments about ensuring quality of service and the lot are coming out. It sounds like the Hospital insisting that the newborn baby comes to them for the rest of his life! Once you have sold me a car how I maintain it is my prerogative.

I also heard that some dealers of a major Korean manufacturer are now charging something on account of installation charges even if you just buy the parts from them.
Old 24th August 2011, 15:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think the MRTPC has served notice on automotive vendors about the non-availability/supply of spares in the open market.
Sir, do you have any more info regarding this.

Most Viewed