Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 23:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's first self-service petrol outlet!!!

My 6 cents

1) I don't want to fill it in myself - No worries, Not all pumps are being made automatic. so one is free to go to the one's with attendants.

2) Not safe - The filling stations will not be left to the mercy of nature. It would not be totally free of human presence. There sure would be someone to help and security folks.

3) Robbing attendants of their livelihood - refer point #1

4) What if they are tampered with? Come on folks, let there be some faith.

5) concerns about "not paying"- Its the concept of Pay and Use so no question of not paying.

6) Thefts - I am sure there would be lot of security systems installed. CCTV, alarms etc.
Old 27th August 2011, 00:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
As long as the nozzles and the handles are clean and your hands don't end up smelling of petrol once you refill, its fine.
I think disposable plastic gloves can take care of dirty handles.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:29   #33
BHPian

A move in the right direction. Though not really to the extent the ATM's changed our lives by getting rid of our bank visits completely.

OTOH, payment by cash here could be a real irritation due to time involved. And while card payment is the way to go, with the current fuel prices, the 2.55% card surcharge everytime also could pinch the user. More so since you might be filling fuel worth a couple of grand each time!

Yes I know one may say, what value do 50 Rupees hold nowadays, but still wouldn't we all love that 0.xx litre of extra petrol since we are paying anyway?
Old 27th August 2011, 08:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Dicey step, I really don't know if the concept is going to work in India. Will have to wait and watch. Hope it is Bangalore's turn after Delhi
Old 27th August 2011, 14:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Dicey step, I really don't know if the concept is going to work in India. Will have to wait and watch. Hope it is Bangalore's turn after Delhi
What way dicey? Why do you think it'd not work? ICICI platinum - at least I've been getting the fuel surcharge credited back. And if in dire need of fuel, I'd not mind paying that little extra.

I agree cash transactions may be cumbersome.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:08   #36
BHPian

can someone who's used one of these post a pic?

would love to have a look.

the first time i used this abroad, i felt so proud at having filled the rental without any accident!
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:15   #37
BHPian

That is good news. Once I was abroad , we spent some minutes trying to open the fuel lid of the car as no one in the car opened one before. This was done by attendants here in India. lol.
Don't know how customer management is done here ,else we can see fights and pushing from people.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
And while card payment is the way to go, with the current fuel prices, the 2.55% card surcharge everytime also could pinch the user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
ICICI platinum - at least I've been getting the fuel surcharge credited back.
I really don't think this 2.5% surcharge is charged these days. All banks are giving Platinum and Titanium cards to their customers in which this surcharged is waived off above Rs. 400/- transaction.
And even if they charge, they credit it back even for the Gold cards. But it would be best if you use a card which works best with your preferred fuel pump.
ICICI Cards works best with HPCL
HDFC cards with BP.
Citibank cards with IOCL.

@Shubz, get a IOC Citibank Gold/Titanium card. It gives you 4 points for every Rs. 150/- spent at IOCL Pumps. I use it and have since redeemed 5000/- points for petrol. It's the best thing.
1 point = 1 rs. here unlike other cards where 1 point = 25 or 50 ps.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:33   #39
BHPian

One question here

In a countries in the west where there are abundant fuel stations and of various grades and various oil companies, Is the pressure on a single fuel station lower compared to that in India ?

I mean are there queues for Fuel filling in west like we see in India?

Would such an attendant less system hold good in India were we overtake from the wrong side and dodge queues at toll booths and level crossings ?

I welcome the change but wish to see such auto dispensing stations on the deserted highways and interiors parts of India. Just like ATMs have sprung up in every nook and cranny.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
One question here

In a countries in the west where there are abundant fuel stations and of various grades and various oil companies, Is the pressure on a single fuel station lower compared to that in India ?

I mean are there queues for Fuel filling in west like we see in India?

Would such an attendant less system hold good in India were we overtake from the wrong side and dodge queues at toll booths and level crossings ?

I welcome the change but wish to see such auto dispensing stations on the deserted highways and interiors parts of India. Just like ATMs have sprung up in every nook and cranny.
No queues here in Australia especially if the fuel station is in outer suburbs or highways.
I believe in India there will be an attendant or a security person to assist the customers. The queue should not be an issue if attendant is present. It should still work in India.
Also, if the concept is 'First pay and then fill', my initial worry about theft is also taken care of.
A welcome move I must say. This should be launched across the nation progressively.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
@Shubz, get a IOC Citibank Gold/Titanium card. It gives you 4 points for every Rs. 150/- spent at IOCL Pumps. I use it and have since redeemed 5000/- points for petrol. It's the best thing.
Just for information:
I use Standard Chartered Titanium card. The features are as below:

1. 2.5% surcharge waived off on every fuel purchase from any fuel outlet
2. Additional 2.5% cashback on every fuel purchase from any fuel outlet
3. 5% cashback on every transaction made for telephone/mobile bills. The minimum transaction to avail this feature should be greater than INR 500.
4. Maximum cashback in a month capped at INR 500.

5. For any other transaction you earn 1 point for every INR 100 spent.
6. Life time free card. No renewal charges.
I have been using this card since 2006 and it surely has saved some Vitamin M for me.

If the monthly fuels usage is 7000 INR, that means you get 350 INR cash back(including 2.5% waiver).
If the monthly mobile bills for complete family is 3000 INR, you get cashback of INR 150.
Savings per month= INR 500
Savings per annum= INR 6000

Please note that I am neither an employee of Standard Chartered nor do I intend to advertise any of their products. The aforementioned description is based on my experience with the product.

Last edited by headbanger : 2nd September 2011 at 11:13. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:07   #42
BHPian

I would still prefer to go to fill in at a bunk with human help. Numerous advantages and I am generally happy with the interaction.
But the way that base labor costs are increasing, it looks like soon all pumps may need to go self-service. I would want to enjoy the attendants's service while it is still available/lasts.
Even in future when most bunks go self-service, I can see myself seeking out bunks that offer human help.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:13   #43
Team-BHP Support

I went thru' the article again, there's no mention if air-filling would be self-service too.

I think before setting up self-service petrol pumps, oil companies should start by keeping air-filling as a self-service activities. That'll put the habit of doing things by ourselves in us lazy Indians.
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
The first self-refueling petrol pump opened in the national capital on Wednesday in South Delhi at Rajkumar Service Station near IIT.

Absolutely correct. I have been to this Petrol Pump two weeks ago. Although it is self service pump, there are same number of attendants as earlier to support the customers who are not aware how to work on such pump. when I queried why this concept, they told me that this is a test run and usage data are being sent to the company's project managers
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I really don't think this 2.5% surcharge is charged these days. All banks are giving Platinum and Titanium cards to their customers in which this surcharged is waived off above Rs. 400/- transaction.
And even if they charge, they credit it back even for the Gold cards. But it would be best if you use a card which works best with your preferred fuel pump.
ICICI Cards works best with HPCL
HDFC cards with BP.
Citibank cards with IOCL.

You are right. I was trying to highlight the features of cards at fuel stations where it is not a hassle. ICICI bank cards give 3 points per Rs. 100 spent in comparison with Citibank card.

Over all - I welcome the concept of self service outlets! talks of surcharge etc are secondary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks