Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Usually, if there is a new car launch...the buzz is created atleast an year in advance. For example Fiesta, Swift,Aveo, Fabia(still not in ).
Also wouldnt Maruti have showcased some car in the Expo if they had the plans?
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Going by precedent, i don't see any reason why the baleno will be phased out. In more than 2 decades, I think the only car that they discontinued was the M1000 and Alto 1.1 which are again just variants of a model, with the other variants still selling.
To top it, if we look at the sales figures available on their website, the segment having Esteem and Baleno is registering record sales over the past few years. You could have a Honda killing the OHC (great car, nice looks and decent sales) or Toyota killing the Qualis (great sales), but I do not think Maruti will follow that example.

Anyway, I do not really worry about the Baleno being phased out. It is a nice car at a great price and from my 20-year experience with Maruti, I know that support and spares will be available for years to come. More important, there are not really any real issues that you will face with a Maruti.
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:52   #18
BHPian

As far as i think, Maruti Suzuki has no plans for stopping the current production vehicles.. On the contrary, their focus for year 2006 is to provide diesel options in their current range of vehicles..

I am anticipating a knock-out sales of the diesel Gypsy, if and when it gets launched in the 5L bracket.
Old 22nd February 2006, 23:50   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Maruti Esteem and Baleno will not get discontinued in near future. The talks for the same has been going on for 3 years now. Moreover before discontinuing they will have to identify, localize and get those models cleared for Indian roads. This process takes about 1.5-2 yrs, and to my knowledge Maruti is not even thru with the identification stage yet.

BTW, sale of both Esteem and Baleno are going satisfactory at the moment. So most likely even when the replacement comes, it might be placed parallel to the current models (like 800 and Alto co-exist since last 4 yrs)...
even if they dont get discontinued are they worth buying just for their engines,they look outdated and they are outdated.sit in an accent and then try out the baleno or esteem ,the interiors feel so cheap that any car except indica and 800 feels far nicer.
Old 23rd February 2006, 11:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
even if they dont get discontinued are they worth buying just for their engines,they look outdated and they are outdated.sit in an accent and then try out the baleno or esteem ,the interiors feel so cheap that any car except indica and 800 feels far nicer.
outdated ? Just because something is a few years old does not mean that it has to be bad. And similiarly, anything new need not be better.
The Baleno came into the Indian scene in 99 or so. The Accent was also intoduced at that time or maybe a year later. So how come the Baleno is dated but Accent is not ? Esteem, yes is pretty old in the Indian scene, but the Baleno is not that dated.
My friend has an Accent. Except for the beige interiors, I do not see any great thing in its interiors. And BTW, now that he is complaining of dirty spots on the beige wherever somebody put their hands, I am happy that my Baleno interiors are black.
A few years down the line, it will become clear why you should choose the Japs over the Koreans. A car is definitely much more than looks. It is about performance, reliability, low maintenance, fuel efficiency and much more. Try getting all of these with an Accent. It looks better, maybe. But thats it. I would prefer a better car than just a looker.
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
the interiors feel so cheap that any car except indica and 800 feels far nicer.
Anshuman that was one heck of a statement and also very partisan! For one, comparing the interiors of Baleno and Accent to Indica and M800 is not par. They belong to very different segments. Second thing is I do not know when you got into an Indica the last time (not Indicabs) but check one out now. And though I do not give two dimes about that gray colored plastic used inside I feel the rest is par for the course. In fact the new switchgears that Indica sports are better than some others. So, don't shoot jus' bcoz u gotta gun mate.
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My friend has an Accent. Except for the beige interiors, I do not see any great thing in its interiors. And BTW, now that he is complaining of dirty spots on the beige wherever somebody put their hands, I am happy that my Baleno interiors are black.
Also, that biege interior came in just a while back... For years Accent also had the regulation plastic bits for its interiors. Most Accents even today sport the old plastic interiors. And even beige is something that is becoming common. WagonR had it in Premia... Indica has it in Xeta. So Anshuman, if your definition of great interiors is beige color, well... thats also old hat now.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd February 2006 at 12:26.
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Also, that biege interior came in just a while back... For years Accent also had the regulation plastic bits for its interiors. Most Accents even today sport the old plastic interiors.
Very true. I guess the beige interior came up in early 2005 or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
So Anshuman, if your definition of great interiors is beige color, well... thats also old hat mate.
Exactly.
Old 23rd February 2006, 21:00   #24
BHPian

Well the budget sure is making the sales difficult for me @ Tata's as any way upto 8% won't make much of a difference to the buyers as already there are huge discounts going on the vehicles!
Old 24th February 2006, 13:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
outdated ? Just because something is a few years old does not mean that it has to be bad. And similiarly, anything new need not be better.
The Baleno came into the Indian scene in 99 or so. The Accent was also intoduced at that time or maybe a year later. So how come the Baleno is dated but Accent is not ? Esteem, yes is pretty old in the Indian scene, but the Baleno is not that dated.
A few years down the line, it will become clear why you should choose the Japs over the Koreans. A car is definitely much more than looks. It is about performance, reliability, low maintenance, fuel efficiency and much more. Try getting all of these with an Accent. It looks better, maybe. But thats it. I would prefer a better car than just a looker.

You are absolutely right Mr. Supremo and especially i like the Ist and last paragraph you quoted.

I have repeated this many times to my family and friens that there cannot be any comparision drawn between a Korean Enginnered car and a Japanese / European one. Korean car is as good as a chinese electronic item.

Infact if u ask me in this segment, Baleno is second best only to Petra but Petra has its own sad story to show on the sales front.

But one thing i am sure of and would repeat again that Baleno and Esteem are on the verge of END OF SALE although spare parts and maintenance will never be an issue being a MARUTI.

Cheers.
Old 24th February 2006, 13:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
Infact if u ask me in this segment, Baleno is 2nd best only to Petra but Petra has its own sad story to show on sales front
On what factors do you say that the Petra is better than the Baleno ? Asking because I have no experience with Fiat except having driven a friends Padmini some 10 years ago. And no one I know owns a Fiat - so my knowledge is nil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
But one thing i am sure of and would repeat again that Baleno and Esteem are on the verge of END OF SALE although spare parts and maintenance will never be an issue being a MARUTI.
I don't know how good your sources are, but then you never know what the future will bring. The OHC, such a sexy car - they replace it with such an eyesore. Who expected that ? If the OHC was available (new) when I bought the Baleno last year, it would have been my choice.

I have driven Suzukis for 20 years (one of them for 19 years) and know the reliability that comes standard with the Japanese technology. Due to the bare-minimum maintenance their cars require, I don't care whether they stop the Baleno model or even if Suzuki packs up and leaves India.
Old 24th February 2006, 14:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, you are HOPELESSLY for quite a while now! Mods, would you like to move a few of these messages to more appropriate threads?
Old 24th February 2006, 15:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

well, come the budget this will get back to the topic magically Its a forum dude, not a GD. Topics will meander once in a while and thats cool. From pre budget discounts to end of life ones - we've got it all )
Old 24th February 2006, 15:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Guys, you are HOPELESSLY for quite a while now! Mods, would you like to move a few of these messages to more appropriate threads?
Apologize, folks. Did get quite off-topic, but was not intentional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
well, come the budget this will get back to the topic magically Its a forum dude, not a GD. Topics will meander once in a while and thats cool. From pre budget discounts to end of life ones - we've got it all )
Quite true, buddy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks