Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 14:57   #1
BANNED

Maruti Suzuki to launch 20 models in 5 years!

Source: India's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki to launch 20 models in 5 years - The Economic Times

"Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker, is gearing up for a major product onslaught with the launch of 15-20 new vehicles in five years, people familiar with the matter told ET. To remain competitive and protect market share, the auto giant will continue to focus on low-cost vehicles, with 70-80% of its future offerings likely to be in the small car segment, including facelifts and variants.

Of the new products planned, five are in advanced stages of development. The company is likely to roll out sub-4 metre Swift Dzire at the 2012 Auto Expo in Delhi. This will be followed by a multi-purpose vehicle based on the R-III concept, an A Star facelift, Ritz backlift, and next generation Alto 800 by early 2013."

At an average, 4 new / facelifts every year! This is very aggressive. And the much needed A-Star facelift and Ritz "back-lift" are in the pipeline!
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 15:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki to launch 20 models in 5 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
At an average, 4 new / facelifts every year! This is very aggressive. And the much needed A-Star facelift and Ritz "back-lift" are in the pipeline!
They are aware of the Ritz and A-Star. Great!

I doubt how many of these to be launched models would be all new. Apart from the R III, there is not much happening as of now.
But MSIL are very capable of pulling a fast one. Case in point : Eeco.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:08   #3
BHPian

They even told that all the suzuki global models will be available in india by 2010 and i was dreaming of swift 1.6 125bhp but nothing really happened other than facelifts, engine tweaks.

Last edited by brraj : 29th August 2011 at 15:09.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:13   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that they have taken the swift a notch higher in prices, they really need Ritz to fire against i10/ figo P &D and Beat D. I expect Maruti Suzuki to roll out Ritz facelift soon.

As for A-star, its problems are not just confined to the rear looks, as is the case with Ritz.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Of the new products planned, five are in advanced stages of development. The company is likely to roll out sub-4 metre Swift Dzire at the 2012 Auto Expo in Delhi. This will be followed by a multi-purpose vehicle based on the R-III concept, an A Star facelift, Ritz backlift, and next generation Alto 800 by early 2013."

The word Ritz "Backlift"

I think Ritz in itself is a fine product, one of the few Maruti products that speaks of quality in terms of hassle free experience. It would be interesting to understand the backlift part of it.

A-star is another vehicle which might be tweaked based on the market feedback, it is a good car but with quite a few drawbacks.

Facelifting the Alto 800 is a good move
Old 29th August 2011, 15:38   #6
BHPian

This is an over ambitious future projection by MUL. They already have labour issues which crop up every alternate month. 20 launches in 5 years maybe possible if the new plant in Gujarat will be fully functional by then.

I also hope all these 20 cars will not have the same engine . knowing MUL's strategy to share the same engine across various vehicles.
Old 29th August 2011, 15:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
.... they really need Ritz to fire against i10/ figo P &D and Beat D.
Agree with you.

4 products a year is definitely aggressive. It would be interesting to know how they price the cars across the range. The small car is already crowded and more new entries means some of the non popular models will die a slow death.
Old 29th August 2011, 16:05   #8
BHPian

One will be the good old M800 and another will be the MPV that is being tested.
I suppose mostly will be facelift ,stickering of existing products.
Old 29th August 2011, 16:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Apart from the R III, there is not much happening as of now.
But MSIL are very capable of pulling a fast one. Case in point : Eeco.
Disappointingly (if the news is to be believed) RIII launch will happen beyond Auto Expo and by early 2013!! (Lot of us were expecting it to be launched before Expo).
Quote:
"The company is likely to roll out sub-4 metre Swift Dzire at the 2012 Auto Expo in Delhi. This will be followed by a multi-purpose vehicle based on the R-III concept, an A Star facelift, Ritz backlift, and next generation Alto 800 by early 2013."
Unquote:
Old 29th August 2011, 16:31   #10
BHPian

There's no mention of the Jimny. Can we assume that this project has been put to rest?

I still feel a Diesel Jimny would be a major success for MUL. Sadly they don't seem to beleive this.
Old 29th August 2011, 16:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you ask me A-Star needs a backlift too, I sort of like the face of A-Star its the back that I hate about A Star, a back similar to Swift, or atleast i10 for A-Star would be cool
Old 29th August 2011, 16:40   #12
BHPian

how about a new vehicle to boost, or enhance the current Gypsy! i'd love it
Old 29th August 2011, 17:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Very optimistic thinking, and kudos to them if they achieve it.

I say this because they have just pulled the plug on the production at Manesar plant yet again -

Maruti halts production at its Manesar plant - Business News - IBNLive

Maruti Suzuki suspends production at Manesar plant amidst tense management-workers relations! | IndianCarsBikes.in
Old 29th August 2011, 18:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

If at all Maruti has some bandwidth to support MSIL, I would rather request them to bring down the waiting period of Swift and Dzire to a week or two.

I mean I do not understand the strategy of people like MSIL, Ford and toyota who go on launching new vehicles when they do not have enough bandwidth to support current model sales figures.

Atleast in Toyota I understand its a different line for SUV, but MSIL and Ford got to get thier act right.

Imagine how much good it will do it Swift was available off the shelf than having a waiting period of 5 odd months.

Suzuki guys are you listening???
Old 29th August 2011, 19:29   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
There's no mention of the Jimny. Can we assume that this project has been put to rest?

I still feel a Diesel Jimny would be a major success for MUL. Sadly they don't seem to beleive this.
Had heard earlier that Maruti tried to put the 1.3 DDiS in a 5-door Jimny but failed and so put the plan to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
If at all Maruti has some bandwidth to support MSIL, I would rather request them to bring down the waiting period of Swift and Dzire to a week or two.

I mean I do not understand the strategy of people like MSIL, Ford and toyota who go on launching new vehicles when they do not have enough bandwidth to support current model sales figures.

Atleast in Toyota I understand its a different line for SUV, but MSIL and Ford got to get thier act right.

Imagine how much good it will do it Swift was available off the shelf than having a waiting period of 5 odd months.

Suzuki guys are you listening???
But that will affect the resale value of Swift, and Maruti may try to keep at least a 2 - 4 week waiting period for its models other than its low-selling models like Estilo and A-Star, IMO. Otherwise, why did they cut the production of its models some days back when they were still in waiting period?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th August 2011 at 19:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks