Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 21:10   #181
BHPian

Re: MSIL factory strike: Workers deliberately sabotaging the quality of cars.

production of Maruti Suzuki India’s flagship model Swift has started today

Auto News India - Maruti strike enters 12th day, talks still on | CarDekho.com
Old 19th October 2011, 21:18   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Climate for business houses is significantly better in Gujarat. Majority of auto giants are looking Gujarat as their next investment hub.
So was manesar and gurgaon at one point of time, that's why industries were setup there.

Look at the situation now, things can change over a short period of time.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 19th October 2011 at 21:20.
Old 19th October 2011, 21:45   #183
Senior - BHPian

It is not guaranteed that to days atmosphere will be same for 20 years. In fact the industrial atmosphere changes after every election. Nokia in Chennai is also facing frequent labour unrest. These are all common factors with labour issues. The talks should go on and compromise on both side for the betterment of both employees and management.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:06   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
It is not guaranteed that to days atmosphere will be same for 20 years. In fact the industrial atmosphere changes after every election. Nokia in Chennai is also facing frequent labour unrest. These are all common factors with labour issues. The talks should go on and compromise on both side for the betterment of both employees and management.

That's the reason manufacturers try to spread out their facilities when they want to expand (Ford, Tata, Mahindra, etc..). They try their best NOT to put all their eggs in the same basket. Only a few of them like Hyundai, Toyota have single location facilities till now. They have experienced labor issues as well and hopefully there is/was something (government support, etc.) that helped them out during that time which made them hang on to the same location.

Coming to Maruti, it's better if Mr.Osamu Suzuki is quite cornered this time (VW issues + Universal recession + India is the ONLY Suzuki market + Dealer pressure will start mounting). Suzuki has made enough money and its time he relents to sort this ASAP. The strike is already into months and the Gujarat plant will take years.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:34   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Thats a proven fact indeed.Marimalai Nagar and Sriperimbudur are also a little bit disturbed. So was Halol recently when there was a strike at the GM plant.But obstinacy and stubbornness rule supreme at Manesar and Gurgaon for MSIL. And also for Honda Motorcycle and Scooters Ltd. The Hyundai and GM India unrest was contained soon.
As you say who knows, maybe the obstinacy and stubbornness can rule supreme after some years in the present calm and conducive industrial belts.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:58   #186
Senior - BHPian

As with all the matters (petty or huge) in our Mera Bharat Mahaan, it can be easily observed (by the various news reports) that there is some politics involved behind this. Government in India, whether state or central just don't seem to care about any matter (or in fact they care too much about their vote banks that they don't try to interfere in any matter when its in the earlier stages). If they take sides with labourers, they'll lose on future investments, if they take sides with management, they will surely lose their vote bank. We all have seen this happened in Singur and now its Haryana.
P.S.- I also feel that no one is right all the time, there must be some genuine concerns of the labourers otherwise why they'll put their jobs at risk as ultimately they are the ones who suffers most from shutting down of plant.
Old 19th October 2011, 23:25   #187
BHPian

Manpower goes up at Maruti's Manesar plant; strike continues
Source: Hindustan Times

Maruti Suzuki India on Wednesday said the number of workers on duty at its Manesar plant has gone up to 600, while talks brokered by the Haryana government between the management and striking employees are on to bring a solution to the 13-day impasse. "Production at the company's Manesar plant was 200 cars. The number of workers at Manesar also went up to 600 today from 400 yesterday," the company said in a statement.
A Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) spokesperson claimed these are workers who did not join the strike.

At the Gurgaon plant, the company produced 1,650 vehicles today, it added.

MSI had to suspend production at Gurgaon plant for two days last week due to non-availability of the components from Suzuki Powertrain India Ltd (SPIL), where workers are also on strike in support of colleagues at MSI. SPIL supplies diesel engines and transmissions to MSI.

"In all, Maruti Suzuki manufactured 300 Swift cars today, combined from Gurgaon and Manesar plants," it said.

The company said talks resumed this morning between the management and workers in the presence of Haryana labour department officials after it broke down yesterday.

"Talks between the company management and the striking workers were revived today. These talks are being facilitated by the Haryana government," the company said.

Talks are still going on at the time of filing this report.
Old 20th October 2011, 06:44   #188
BHPian

Some actual information on the Maruti Suzuki Policies that had fueled the anger among the employees,

Since the strike in 2000 in the Gurgaon facilities, the management introduced stringent measures. In the Manesar plant, the standing orders for workers list 103 types of “misconduct”. Among these are “spending too much time in the toilet” and “chatting”. Workers waiting in queue for lunch in the canteen are told not to talk among themselves because they may get “distracted” from their tasks.

In a shift, the workers have two seven-and-a-half-minute tea breaks and 30 minutes for lunch (or dinner). The time for the breaks may be reduced. “This does not leave me time to go to the toilet, change my clothes, run to the canteen that is 450 metres away and get back on the job before the belt starts running again,” Kumar says.

You can read the full article @ Maruti’s Modern Times clash
cruiser_1982 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 08:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

2 x 7:30 and 1 x 30min break. Come on. no wonder the workers are striking. If they expect Japanese standards, better give Japanese pay.

Pay slip of the employee is minus rs 3800, he owes the company money? Lol!!!! what was MSIL thinking?

This is if the article above is taken at face value; knowing the media, it can be skewed.
Old 20th October 2011, 08:13   #190
Senior - BHPian

My office colleague who had booked the new Swift and promised delivery in Feb 2012 end has now been told by the dealer of the increased delivery time. The new delivery date is end of April 2012 owing to the strike. he is thinking of cancelling the booking.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:01   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

I think many people will cancel there bookings. The waiting period was already so high and with this continuing strike it just keeps on growing. BTW who do you think would be the biggest gainer from this strike given that most number of Swift/Dzire's sold are diesel? Toyota perhaps? I am anticipating slightly higher numbers for the Etios/Liva this month around.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:08   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think many people will cancel there bookings. The waiting period was already so high and with this continuing strike it just keeps on growing. BTW who do you think would be the biggest gainer from this strike given that most number of Swift/Dzire's sold are diesel? Toyota perhaps? I am anticipating slightly higher numbers for the Etios/Liva this month around.
Actually in Tier II cities waiting for Liva Diesel is 4 months. In metros its almost 2 months. So the Liva D is not exactly available off the shelf either. But I guess Beat diesel may see its sales pick up further, as its available off the shelf.
Old 20th October 2011, 10:16   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually in Tier II cities waiting for Liva Diesel is 4 months. In metros its almost 2 months. So the Liva D is not exactly available off the shelf either. But I guess Beat diesel may see its sales pick up further, as its available off the shelf.
Yea I totally forgot about BEAT. The people who have booked a petrol would find it rather easy and tempting to shift there bookings with so many new launches and options available now. I also read that prices for the Micra have come down. Will be really interesting to see how many of those famed 1L bookings do MSIL finally manages to hold. Specially in this festive season with car sales going down and discounts being offered everywhere.

Did you decide upon where to book your Liva from?
Old 20th October 2011, 10:33   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think it would also depend on the customer's budget. For eg: someone who has booked a ZDi is more likely to move to i20/Punto/Polo which have similar features. Someone who has booked LDi/VDi is more likely to move to Figo/Beat/Liva.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:25   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think it would also depend on the customer's budget. For eg: someone who has booked a ZDi is more likely to move to i20/Punto/Polo which have similar features. Someone who has booked LDi/VDi is more likely to move to Figo/Beat/Liva.
+1

I had booked Zdi on 20th Aug and was promised delivery around Oct end or 1st week of Nov, but now they don't even have any vague idea about delivery date.

I am truly considering to cancel my booking and go either for i20 Sports or Polo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks