Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 11:38   #31
BHPian

Re: MSIL factory strike: Workers deliberately sabotaging the quality of cars.

This is really sad. The workers get paid by the company. They run their family with that money. Send children to schools and give them good food with that same money. After all that, they come back and deliberately make defective cars. Shame on such people.

The workers should use better and DIGNIFIED ways for protesting against the management. Such people who are unethical should be punished by the court. Our country is in a sorry state !!
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 11:55   #32
BHPian

Work has been resumed at the facility.

Maruti Suzuki sacks 12 more workers, resumes production at Manesar plant - The Economic Times
Old 31st August 2011, 11:59   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
better and DIGNIFIED ways for protesting against the management. Such people who are unethical should be punished by the court. Our country is in a sorry state !!
+1. Just because some "idiots" are doing non-sense, a lot of other people are also affected. Just read in another thread that work resumes in Manesar plant. Maruti Suzuki sacks 12 more workers, resumes production at Manesar plant - The Economic Times I guess the thread could be locked !
Old 31st August 2011, 12:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
This is really sad. The workers get paid by the company. They run their family with that money. Send children to schools and give them good food with that same money. After all that, they come back and deliberately make defective cars. Shame on such people.
The workers in Manesar, especially the contract workers, get paid very low. I wonder if they can give any "good food" to their children, forget about decent education. From Maruti Suzuki Workers Strike: A Report from Gurgaon at Sanhati :

His basic salary is Rs 4,000 and he gets an additional Rs 9,000 every month for attendance and production. Dharminder, one such contract labourer, has worked with Maruti for two years, attaching bumpers and other accessories on car faces. His Rs 6,400-a-month salary, he claims, has not improved.” (Livemint, 13th of June 2011)

Last edited by sdp1975 : 31st August 2011 at 12:12.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 12:22   #35
BHPian

Agreed. They may not be getting much on a monthly basis. But their family lives with whatever they get from the company, isn't it ? What if they were not paid even that ? So first everybody has to be true to the work they do. And by "good food", I dint mean Malai Kofta, Mughal Biriyani and the likes. I just meant normal food that their children can safely have.

And yeah, you leisurely quoted one part of my post. What about the rest of it ? All are free to protest and stand up for their rights. The only thing I wanted to say is that it should be done in a dignified manner. The operative word here is "DIGNIFIED".

What would happen if an ill-fitted car comes to the showroom and I happen to buy it ? So let them protest in a better way.

Note: Now that the production has resumed, let us hope they find a solution to the issue fast enough and prevent such things in the future. No point going on discussing this.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 12:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I understand there are few things going wrong, in Maruti's place.

But what not is affected nowaday, I mean after all Maruti is also another business place it has its own set of issues to deal with .
Do not see value in discussing matters internal to Maruti. I know it has people who are capable enough to handle the issue.

We shall just leave the matter to them to solve it, its better not to take stand.
What we can discuss is how this might impact the market place. Lets not get into details on whats wrong internally.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:04   #37
BHPian

@xingamazon

What we were discussing here was not anything "internal". It was based on various press releases as I understand. This is also not about what went wrong internally. It is just about the ways in which the workers protested. What went wrong internally may still be not known to us. There might be more to it than what meets the eye.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:10   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

There is already an existing thread on this topic and this one can be merged with the one linked below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...companies.html
Old 31st August 2011, 13:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Forgive me for playing the devil's advocate, but:

I think MS has achieved what it wanted with the release of this news - public's ire is directed at the workers, there is less resentment against the company and hence those who have booked the car are less likely to cancel his/her booking.

Fact is that we don't know actually why the worker's are striking, have they tried other means to resolve their disputes and how the company has approached their demands so far.

I think all the "sabotage" by workers is simply to delay the shipping of cars and hence the quality issues are "simple" enough to be detected by the QC department. I don't think any of the workers actually want unsafe cars to hit the showrooms.

Disclaimer: I'm not related to MS or any of the striking employees.
I agree with you boss. The acts of sabotage are nothing that actually byepass the QA. What if it has been something like a brake that would give away after a few months, an airbag that deploys prematurely, or a fuel-line leak into the passenger compartment? Those would have been purely vindictive acts. The very fact that whatever they did is easily discovered and rectified by quality just shows that the workers are merely trying to protest.

As consumers, we can crib about the delays caused, but as human beings, we should be compassionate and understanding towards their plight. If the company has failed to instill loyalty in their employees, it's the company's fault. Having 70% of employees work under contract is corporate greed finding ways to cut benefits. Even with all the benefits that companies have to offer to workers, they can still make a hefty profit, especially with the numbers that they're doing in the market.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 14:23   #40
BHPian

First the Government let the whole industry stagnate for decades to allow unfair advantage to Maruti, then design a small car policy to give them a lead, then sells off shares for peanuts to the Japs who wouldn't trust Indians with critical technology or significant role in product development and design in spite of the Indian company being as large, or even larger than the Jap parent, and now they abuse workers. The whole Government machinery and mainstream media back the management and not the workers! And the company tries to hoodwink customers by accusing workers of compromising quality! Maybe RC Bhargava still holds considerable influence in places that count!
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:58   #41
BHPian

During my MBA days our prof's often reminded us us that whenever manufacturing unit workers protested in Japan, their productivity would go up. Working beyond what they are paid for is their way of showing dissent, as if they are giving charity to the management, thus shaming them into submission.

Guess Suzuki is just learning the hard way that this is India. New blood employees will not behave like the 2 decade old workers at Gurgaon plant.

What I still believe is a mystery, is what do the workers really want? Is any demand unjustified? Surely, MSIL is not doing anything against the labour laws. But the issue needs to be resolved on priority lest the Maruti brand takes further beating. Their share prices too are affected!
Old 6th September 2011, 15:28   #42
Team-BHP Support

Doesn't look like the strike is anywhere near an end. The embroglio continues. What's worse - MS has stopped taking bookings for the new Swift.

Backlog is now a whopping 80,000 units.

Maruti Suzuki India: Will not start full production until workers sign bond - The Economic Times
Old 7th September 2011, 22:52   #43
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Moves Swift Production To Gurgaon

Quote:

Maruti Suzuki Moves Swift Production To Gurgaon

Maruti Suzuki has finally take a step, which will help them to reduce waiting period on the new Swift. The company which produces the Swift at Manesar is facing several labor issues, causing loss of production and increase in waiting period of the new Swift. India’s largest car maker has thus decided to shift part of the new Swift’s production to Gurgaon, where its first plant is situated. The company has also hired temporary workers to commence production at Manesar, where close to 250 cars were produced yesterday. The second plant at Manesar has been advanced to increase production. The strike, which is in its tenth day is expected to continue indefinitely as the Maruti Suzuki management and the workforce are yet to come to a mutual decision.

Source: Maruti Suzuki Moves Swift Production To Gurgaon | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Hope that now we, the end customer will get a better product, with comparitively slighter delay now.

cheers!
Irish
Old 13th September 2011, 21:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Moves Swift Production To Gurgaon

New Swift daily production near normal level of 500 units, but stalemate with a large group of workers continue. So we will finally be able to see some cars on road and respite for all the customers who are waiting.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki's output of its best-selling Swift car reached 500 units on Monday, matching the normal daily production at its Manesar plant, even as striking workers sought the intervention of the district administration to resolve the 14-day standoff.
Maruti Suzuki Swift daily output reaches 500 units, matches near normal levels - The Economic Times
Old 13th September 2011, 23:10   #45
BHPian

In my opinion, as a end user we need not be suspicious about the quality of cars coming out of the factory.

When the company knows that there could be issues, it is not uncommon for them to change the normal quality check and do a thorough check. Check each and everything again if required! Because, they are aware that even if a single car breaks down in the middle of the road, it will have a major impact on their reputation (and could cause fatal accidents too). All automtive companies are generally very very (I can't stress it enough) careful about this.

Note: The above is purely my personal opinion.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks