Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 08:19   #91
BHPian

Re: Whats happening at Manesar?

Well come and visit manesar and you will get know about reality . Its union mafia , some bunch of politicians have been filling the ears of workers to go on strike . How come there is no strike in gurgaon . Its the manesar which is more corrupted . Last year there was a strike in Honda two wheeler division .

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Well that;s what the ground truth is . MSIL knows that the workers cannot live on their savings for too long and will have to budge sooner or later. they were just bidding their time .

Yes , it;s a success but till how far this remains is some thing which i will be interested in seeing. it might be a capital V for Mr bhargava but i suspect if it will stay like that for long .

Old 3rd October 2011, 08:25   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Well come and visit manesar and you will get know about reality . Its union mafia , some bunch of politicians have been filling the ears of workers to go on strike . How come there is no strike in gurgaon . Its the manesar which is more corrupted . Last year there was a strike in Honda two wheeler division .
I don;t stay too far from Gurgaon and knows what the ground situation is. Union Mafia is what they have sold to print and news media . if Union Mafia is so dominant why strikes are happening in MSIL Only . why not other thousand Units setup there . Pls enlighten me

don;t tell me that MSIL is big fish and hence .Hero is also in same industrial belt and Gurgaon and Maneshar do not exist on two poles of earth that union mafia people in manesar cannot go to gurgaon if they exist .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 3rd October 2011 at 08:27.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:23   #93
BHPian

When union knows the swift is the most high selling hatchback in demand , and new swift will also be sales topper . They wanna make quick bucks , my friend works in maruti and he was telling me all this dirty work going on in manesar . I also know how workers in Baddi near himachal works , they are always on strike or they need more money . They will halt production due to some irritants as they need some money . In the end poor workers and management is in loss . I am totally with MSIL as they were stern on their demands . There are many vendors who work for maruti in NCR and we also run a auto parts manufacturing plant . We all know how dirty is the work of mafia .

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I don;t stay too far from Gurgaon and knows what the ground situation is. Union Mafia is what they have sold to print and news media . if Union Mafia is so dominant why strikes are happening in MSIL Only . why not other thousand Units setup there . Pls enlighten me

don;t tell me that MSIL is big fish and hence .Hero is also in same industrial belt and Gurgaon and Maneshar do not exist on two poles of earth that union mafia people in manesar cannot go to gurgaon if they exist .
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:30   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: MSIL factory strike: Workers deliberately sabotaging the quality of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
For these folks, losing a few days wages means compromising on basic needs like food :
I see. So basically MSIL is paying the workers just subsistence wages, so they can lead a hand to mouth existence? If that be the case, the problem is merely swept under the carpet-for now. It will manifest in a more virulent form in the future.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:42   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
When union knows the swift is the most high selling hatchback in demand , and new swift will also be sales topper . They wanna make quick bucks , my friend works in maruti and he was telling me all this dirty work going on in manesar . I also know how workers in Baddi near himachal works , they are always on strike or they need more money . They will halt production due to some irritants as they need some money . In the end poor workers and management is in loss . I am totally with MSIL as they were stern on their demands . There are many vendors who work for maruti in NCR and we also run a auto parts manufacturing plant . We all know how dirty is the work of mafia .
problem is that workers hardly get paid enough to make both ends meets. they struggle with their meager salaries and when ever some body tries to raise a voice, he is either crushed immediately ( they are on contract so can be fired within seconds ) or situation gets some thing like we just saw.

if Mgmt pays them decently from start , why would workers go on strike and so called mafia will be also be taken care of automatically. more over the salary is structured in such a way that it promotes overtime. is not that UN ethical ?.

PS : - what the workers in baddi has to do with this maneshar strike. just curious to know as baddi is dominantly more of a pharmeutical manufacturing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I see. So basically MSIL is paying the workers just subsistence wages, so they can lead a hand to mouth existence? If that be the case, the problem is merely swept under the carpet-for now. It will manifest in a more virulent form in the future.
+1 . i too think they have some how swept it under the carpet for some time & it will raise it;s ugly head once more in more virulent form.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 3rd October 2011 at 09:43.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:06   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar

problem is that workers hardly get paid enough to make both ends meets. they struggle with their meager salaries and when ever some body tries to raise a voice, he is either crushed immediately ( they are on contract so can be fired within seconds ) or situation gets some thing like we just saw.

+1 . i too think they have some how swept it under the carpet for some time & it will raise it;s ugly head once more in more virulent form.
The issue raised by the workers is not just the salaries. I think the main problem is the break-less shifts, where they have to manage everything within a 5 minute break, due to which most end up taking their tea to the loo. Also, the workers union helped Maruti out by working to deliver 125% capacity cars, ESP the Swift and Dzire, when Maruti required due to the very high demand. Now it has apparently become expected of them and they are not being compensated in either cash nor offs.

I think the workers deserve to be heard, and Maruti shouldn't resort to strong-arm. Tactics. Obviously a company with billions will be able to outlast the workers whose savings are minimal. The workers are also adopting questionable tactics, but the question that needs to be answered is whether they are justified.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:16   #97
BHPian

Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

People should really read this.i'm frankly appalled by how people are siding with maruti on this one.
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:16   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

"The month long stand-off between the management and workers of Maruti Suzuki India’s (MSI) Manesar plant which had completely disrupted the country’s top car maker’s production schedules finally ended on Saturday following talks brokered by the Haryana Government."

Maruti Suzuki Manesar strike ends finally after a month | WheelsUnplugged
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

If anyone is concerned about the stocks, then they are up by 2% now.

Maruti up 2% after strike at Manesar unit ends - The Times of India
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^Thanks for that link. I would like my next car to be one that is not made in a sweatshop. Any suggestions?
Old 3rd October 2011, 13:46   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar;
I call that discipline - being punctual is the most basic etiquette, be it your personal or professional life. If someone is literally getting late by a second every alternate day, they might as well learn the first time and be in before time.

Maruti Udyog is correct on its part. There should be zero tolerance against any breach of code of conduct.

The best we can hope for now is that the quality team does their job well and do not get complacent.

ZZZehar just my .02 $

I don’t mind this if the same rule are enforced on management as well. but sadly that is not the case .
They can only be enforced to low level labour worker who earn around 10,000 rs per month for last 5 -6 years.
Also this type of rules apply only in India but not in japan . This is just racial discrimination on a venerable group of society who lack any influence and cannot fight back.

What I understand is that they have arrested the union leader like Sonu and put them inside the jail ( to make an example of the him) once the leaders were not there it was just a matter of time before strike was called off.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 3rd October 2011 at 13:51.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:07   #102
BHPian

^^^+1 to what you said above . Mr Suzuki want the workers to follow everything Japanese way but accept the salaries in Indian currency with no or little HR benefit's .

No doubt i think their CEO is a arrogant man with no or little respect for the workers who are working like robots day and night. Somehow i feel that we are slowly becoming a capitalistic economy .
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:12   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
I call that discipline - being punctual is the most basic etiquette, be it your personal or professional life. If someone is literally getting late by a second every alternate day, they might as well learn the first time and be in before time.

Maruti Udyog is correct on its part. There should be zero tolerance against any breach of code of conduct.

The best we can hope for now is that the quality team does their job well and do not get complacent.
You are correct. A really insightful post I must say
Look how much Maruti is doing.
The buses run by haryana govt which ferry the workers to plant do not even run a second late.
Infact, due to the efforts of Maruti, they are so punctual, that instead of atomic clocks, not the bus timings are used to calibrate the clocks worldwide.
If Maruti does so much why can't the workers eh?
Look at Japan, their trains often run 1-2 seconds late, and yet these guys come on time.
In our country where the bus is more punctual than atomic clocks, these lazy workers cannot come within 1 second of the punch in time.

And breaks. why do they need breaks. These guys are born to work like slaves. Tea, did they say, that is for us sahibs and the management, these slaves are demanding tea break!! Tomorrow they will demand salary and a life of dignity!

What horror of horrors
tsk1979 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:38   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You are correct. A really insightful post I must say
Look how much Maruti is doing.
The buses run by haryana govt which ferry the workers to plant do not even run a second late.
Infact, due to the efforts of Maruti, they are so punctual, that instead of atomic clocks, not the bus timings are used to calibrate the clocks worldwide.
If Maruti does so much why can't the workers eh?
Look at Japan, their trains often run 1-2 seconds late, and yet these guys come on time.
In our country where the bus is more punctual than atomic clocks, these lazy workers cannot come within 1 second of the punch in time.

And breaks. why do they need breaks. These guys are born to work like slaves. Tea, did they say, that is for us sahibs and the management, these slaves are demanding tea break!! Tomorrow they will demand salary and a life of dignity!

What horror of horrors
Thanks for the sarcasm buddy - much appreciated. If you are ready to accept all that including the lax attitude of the workers (read : discipline), you might as well be okay with a few loose nuts and bolts in your car owing to the similar attitude.

We also run a huge transport facility in our org and obviously if the cabs are running late due to whatsoever unavoidable reasons, the employees are not penalized for the same (of course someone is there to log the in/out time - just like someone would be there in Maruti as well). However, for the employees commuting on their own or the employees whose cabs reach work before time, they are expected to be disciplined enough to log-in on time and be compliant to schedule adherence.

I am sure it is no brainier to Maruti either.

I have read your posts in the past and in fact at the time of this post of yours, was going through your Europe trip log. While I am a huge fan of sarcasm myself (not yours in particular), it is healthy only till the extent it is not directed at someone or in any way is indicative of showing a downside to the other person. It's a discussion forum and not a mudslinging match, hence, a neutral approach towards the choice of words/expressions is encouraged. It's a place to shares ideas, views and opinions - not behavior. Thanks.

Edit : While I see an overflowing concern and sympathy towards the pitiful life workers endure, haven't they been at any liberty to reconsider their options in the last 5-6 years than slogging at the same salary and benefits at the mercy of the biggest car manufacturing firm in the country? I am sure the management at Maruti isn't stupid either to formulate or not revise their policies in such a way that it impacts production / revenue to the extent it has this time around. Remember, policies are made keeping norms in mind not exceptions. If the worker's demands are not in line with the business strategy, it is only right on Maruti's part to take corrective actions. Not to forget, they could get a fair amount of new joiners in the due time who were apparently ready to work with the current compensation and benefit norms.

Let's not forget that all the measures Maruti has taken are for the benefit of the end consumer - us, so that we get a quality product for the hard earned money we spent. Now you can either choose to feel sympathetic towards the workers and call it their right to sabotage the quality of product / or go on a strike to delay the delivery of your car. I am hating the wait and I am sure so are you.

Last edited by zzzehar : 3rd October 2011 at 14:54.
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^Thanks for that link. I would like my next car to be one that is not made in a sweatshop. Any suggestions?
I don't think you have a choice in India - unless you're going for a luxury brand that *may* have better work conditions.

I fear that work conditions , unfortunately, will not widely vary between these companies - although this hardly justifies the existing work conditions as they are.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd October 2011 at 15:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks