Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 17:35   #451
BHPian

re: Hyundai EON Now Launched! Prices between 2.7L - 3.71L Ex-Delhi!

Except for the 800cc engine, the eon and alto are no where similar.While the eon is a quality product first and then a cheap product,the alto is a basically cheap product.

Just a look at the interiors tell you where this product should be slotted.

I think a fairer comparison would be the eon and estilo/santro/spark.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:03   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv1 View Post
They could not have named it anything from i1 to i9 and these trademarks are reserved by Audi (i think) worldwide.
Eon is a nice name in itself. It is gonna be a alto killer. Killer pricing and brilliant product
If I remember correctly, BMW has bought the rights for i1 to i9 for their series of electric cars which are about to be launched in the next few years.

Coming back to the Eon, I frankly did not expect Hyundai to come out with a much cheaper price tag. We have seen this since the i10 came out in 2007, isn't it? All their models, from the i10 to the i20 to the Santa Fe to the most recent New Verna are all overpriced. But, they have all succeeded big time and that is where Hyundai has had a great strategy executed to perfection. They position all their models at a little premium over the competition but loads them to the gills, thus giving the perception that customers get a lot of goodies for a little extra.

IMO, Eon will also sell in huge numbers and it is, for sure, another success story from the Korean manufacturer in India. Alto looks pale in comparison to this, especially when the interiors are considered and personally I feel Eon is worth the premium it commands.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:07   #453
Senior - BHPian

Good, that they launched this car in India. Looks nice from the front, but looking at the rear view, it will be dark as a dungeon inside. And, don't they have an Asta version in place? The Sportz seems to be the highest variant.

I feel, the old workhorse Santro must now be given some rest. Better still, they might now price the Santro from 1Lac onwards and compete with the Tata Nano!
Old 13th October 2011, 18:10   #454
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

With the Eon's pricing strategy, I somehow feel that the Santro will be discontinued in the next 1 year or so and a 1.1 litre 4-pot motor will be introduced to the Eon with a spec name Eon Asta. This is very much a possibility.
Old 13th October 2011, 18:47   #455
mxx
BHPian

I dont see how they can price it on par or below alto. It is simply not possible. Alto is a 11 year old car, and the cost of production will be way less than eon.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:15   #456
BHPian

Just Test Drove Eon,

+ves.
Engine did feel peppy
Excellent Interiors (Alto Beware)
Good seating position, it was much better than Alto
Styling was really good, Looks like a matured i10.
Spacious and comfortable.

-ves:
Steering was totally vague and lifeless, iam not sure whether this was only in the car i drove or on all cars!
Old 13th October 2011, 19:30   #457
BHPian

When i see the prices of Eon,My Respect for Maruti has gone up several notches
with the way they managed to provide two legends in 800 and Alto in the entry
segment at affordable prices .

I think the reason why people have struggled to make it in the entry segment
is because you have to play the volumes games and not the margins game .
In the entry segment the margins are miniscule you compensate that by
churning out huge volumes . When people used to criticize Maruti saying
they have to reduce the prices , i used to think why these double standards .
When it comes to Maruti they have to reduce the prices for others they justify
the premium . Remember how Swift killed the Getz .That was a different segment
altogether where the value is more important than the cost itself , but in the entry
segment the perceived value matters of-coursebut also the initial cost .

Maruti are not the king of entry segment for nothing . I am very confident
that they will further provide attractive discounts over and above the solid
discounts on the alto especially the K10 . They are not going take this lying down .
There is already a discrepancy of 30 thousand variant to variant between Eon and
Alto . Add to that the existing offers and further add to that the offers they will
introduce to counter Eon. In a nutshell they might be able to under-cut the Eon by
40-50 k variant to variant . Now i request everybody to not go by the sticker price
but the actual price the customer ends up paying for both the cars after all the
discounts and offers .Now tell me in the cut-throat entry segment a difference of
50k counts for nothing ? Just because the car is slightly more premium and rightly so,
does it deserve to be priced 50 k more than a comparable Alto variant per variant.

As i have said already Eon will do good numbers but i am afraid it will
not make a huge dent in to Alto sales .

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 13th October 2011 at 19:33.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:45   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Except for the 800cc engine, the eon and alto are no where similar.While the eon is a quality product first and then a cheap product,the alto is a basically cheap product.

Just a look at the interiors tell you where this product should be slotted.

I think a fairer comparison would be the eon and estilo/santro/spark.
Your right, AltoK10 and EON are no where similar. I'm saying Altok10 because EON era and magna prices are above altok10.

Ofcourse they are not similar the k10 touches 0-100 in about 13 sec's and doesnt loose steam when the a/c is on, consumers will have to now choose between engine performance and better interiors.

For the females EON makes more sense, they need better interiors than anything else.
K10 prices will be slashed by 15 to 20k shortly, that is the best gift EON has given to the market.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2011, 19:54   #459
BHPian

Had a look at the Eon today, when I went to drop off our Santro for a service.
Having seen the car in person, I feel the pricing is justifiable.
Quality is impressive inside-out. Forget the Alto, no Maruti hatch holds a candle to the Eon when it comes to interior quality.
But I did feel it'll be a quite cramped in the rear, especially with a tall driver.
Did not take a test-drive, so can't comment on the performance. Yet I think this can be a good option if one is looking for a small hatch for the city.
This really is a small wonder from Hyundai!

Last edited by one-77 : 13th October 2011 at 19:57.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:56   #460
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
When i see the prices of Eon,My Respect for Maruti has gone up several notches
with the way they managed to provide two legends in 800 and Alto in the entry
segment at affordable prices .
There is nothing great in selling decades old model in cheap prices. Infact alto should be even cheaper.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:03   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remember how Swift killed the Getz
While I agree that there is no company to beat Maruti-Suzuki when it comes to pricing in the A segment, I completely disagree to the above point. Swift never killed the Getz as Getz never took off even before the launch of Swift. IMO, Getz was much ahead of the time and in many ways, better than Swift. Going by your logic, i20 should have failed miserably but we know how much it sells month on month.
Quote:
As i have said already Eon will do good numbers but i am afraid it will
not make a huge dent in to Alto sales .
. The Eon will become a big success but will not make a big dent in Alto sales.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:07   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
There is nothing great in selling decades old model in cheap prices. Infact alto should be even cheaper.
If u ready my whole post , after discounts Alto will be more than 50k
Cheaper than Eon .If Maruti reduces the price further even more [and they are very much capable of absorbing the price cut cos of economies of scale and the product being production since over a decade], then i guess all the splash made by Eon pre-launch will count to nothing . Hyundai surely should hope that Maruti does not resort to any more price cut cos if they do , Hyundai will be fishing in troubled waters .

So in entry segment people have to decide paying over 50 k for premium feel and better interiors is worthwhile?
I know which one they would choose..especially in A+ segment .

If it was B+ segment you are talking about the choice might be different .
Old 13th October 2011, 20:13   #463
BANNED

Eon will sell handsomely and can topple i10 from Hyundai's largest selling car position. But Alto will still be the best seller in India. Reason? a lot of Alto buyers are first time buyers who prefer a small easy-to-handle car. Though many first time buyers prefer B/B+ segment car nowadays, there are many who prefer the chuck-ability. There is where Alto can outshine Eon.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:23   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
While I agree that there is no company to beat Maruti-Suzuki when it comes to pricing in the A segment, I completely disagree to the above point. Swift never killed the Getz as Getz never took off even before the launch of Swift. IMO, Getz was much ahead of the time and in many ways, better than Swift. Going by your logic, i20 should have failed miserably but we know how much it sells month on month.
I have clearly mentioned , In B+ segment people look for Value and cheaper does not necessarily sell . The perceived value of i-20 is high cos it is B+ hatch which comes loaded , has a premium feel but in not perceived to be expensive . The value quotient is much higher .It is in the entry segment ,where initial cost also matters as much as perceived value for money

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 13th October 2011 at 20:25.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:07   #465
BHPian

Mods, can this thread be merged with this thread? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pressions.html

I have been following those two threads separately and I see a lot of duplicate posts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks