Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 19:02   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j
I am unable to understand why everyone here is bashing the vRS when even the Octavia vRS shared the 150hp mill with the Rider.

The Superb and previous generation passat too were offered with the 1.8TSi in the same tune and were by no means slouch.

I believe in an earlier post a fellow member pointed out that the 2.0TFSi wouldnt bring in too much of a performance gain over the 1.8TSi.
Octavia VRS was launched first and then the Rider was launched when VRS was discontinued.

When VRS was launched, the regular petrol Octavia had pathetic 105 or some BHP engine and VRS had 150 bhp engine but now in case of Laura, it's the same engine with same output. That's the reason people want more power, and just not the cosmetic changes.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 4th September 2011 at 19:03.
Old 4th September 2011, 19:25   #287
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
What i mean is for example..
The 1.8 which comes in my A4 has 160 from factory, in europe the same car has 180. After remap my car will be at 195 according to the revo site. I run 97 octane so i should be well over 200+.
Just like to add the VW's same engine runs on different specs not just due to different state of tune but mainly by using different turbo. The older 1.8T engine we used to get was running on K03 turbo by Borg Warner where as the same engine in Europe was selling with 180bhp state of tune but with K03s turbo which had slightly bigger flange and inlet diameter. The same engine was even put in cars from Seat with K04 turbo developing 190-200hp.
The current 1.8Tfsi engine uses IHI turbo which has limitation with boost pressure and the max this turbo can handle is 20 psi. Revo and some other uses slightly aggressive mapping pushing the turbo to the max along with fuel pressure and other parameters.
It all depends on how you want the power delivery. As I mentioned there are options where one can opt for hybrid K03 turbo can safely do about 250hp with this engine. Some of the tuners in europe have been successful in doing do.

Most likely the Audi in Europe that comes with 180hp is using a K03 turbo where as the one currently sold in India is using an IHI turbo.

Last edited by Invinsible : 4th September 2011 at 19:27.
Old 5th September 2011, 13:00   #288
BHPian

If i was buying a new car, the VRS version would definitely be my choice over the ambient. The features they are offering for an additional price is totally worth it. Im sure all TSI owners wouldnt mind the bodykit, alloys, steering mounted controls, bolero system, leather seats, sunroof etc etc.

If they were giving us a different tune on the existing engine then the VRS badge was justified. They should have just called this version the "Sport".
Old 5th September 2011, 17:19   #289
BHPian

Well it depends.. IF you consider the current Ambiente list price @ 13.5L the 15.4L pricetag for the RS makes a helluva lot sense as your getting a lot of goodies for 2L.

BUT the reality is that the Ambiente can be easily had for 10.5L combining various offers on the car, and now when you look at the RS priced @ 15.4L it looks ridiculous.
I'm sure if they gave similar offers on the RS (which looking at petrol prices they SHOULD) I'm gona trade in the TSI.. if NOT, then I'll just sit in my 10.40TSI and smile away at the 15.4RS guys...
Old 5th September 2011, 18:28   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Well it depends.. IF you consider the current Ambiente list price @ 13.5L the 15.4L pricetag for the RS makes a helluva lot sense as your getting a lot of goodies for 2L.

BUT the reality is that the Ambiente can be easily had for 10.5L combining various offers on the car, and now when you look at the RS priced @ 15.4L it looks ridiculous.
I'm sure if they gave similar offers on the RS (which looking at petrol prices they SHOULD) I'm gona trade in the TSI.. if NOT, then I'll just sit in my 10.40TSI and smile away at the 15.4RS guys...
Wow. Where in India can you get a Ambiente TSI for ~3L discount. I will go and book one today
Old 5th September 2011, 18:34   #291
BHPian

im disappointed with the new RS.

its supposed to be a RALLY SPORT> but on the website all they show you is the music system and the seats and what not. hidden somewhere deep in the website are the engine specs.. which are quite sad
Old 5th September 2011, 18:57   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Wow. Where in India can you get a Ambiente TSI for ~3L discount. I will go and book one today
The entry level Laura TSI (not sure if it iss Ambiente trim) was (most likely still is) selling for 10.99L ex-showroom in Gurgaon. It was coming to 12L OTR. IIRC the listed price for this car was 13.5L. So not quite a 3L discount but pretty close to it anyway
Old 6th September 2011, 01:49   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I got mine last year April-May. Ex Showroom - 10.5 with 40k Corp discount. My company paid for the insurance/RTO, so my EMI's are based on the 10.5 price.
Skoda has their promotion scheme going on the Ambiente TSI's back then.

Now I believe the same price exists for the TSI Classic. IMHO the TSI Ambiente shouldnt be more than 10.99 as its far less equipped than comparable cars in the segment(and it sold the most when it was at that Price). I know the engine is brilliant, but if ur paying 13.5L ex-showroom, you better get more for your money than them crap cloth seats and the **** stereo.
Old 10th September 2011, 13:51   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Now I believe the same price exists for the TSI Classic. IMHO the TSI Ambiente shouldnt be more than 10.99 as its far less equipped than comparable cars in the segment(and it sold the most when it was at that Price). I know the engine is brilliant, but if ur paying 13.5L ex-showroom, you better get more for your money than them crap cloth seats and the **** stereo.
That's incorrect. Laura TSI Classic is the barebones entry level model followed by the Laura TSI Ambiente. There is a signficant gap in the pricing of the two - please check your sources.

BTW, new ads for TSI classic showing as 11.5l ex showroom rather than last month's 10.99l. Don't know if they still discount it @dealer level to same.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:33   #295
BHPian

get corp discount on classic for around45k.. voila 10.99
Old 11th September 2011, 17:42   #296
Senior - BHPian

Was looking at the Skoda India website for the different Laura and RS trims wrt features. Some notable exceptions in the RS are:
* EDL (available in L&K)
* ESP (available in L&K)
* 4 airbags instead of 6 in L&K
* No rear AC vents in floor console ! (only rear AC ducts under the seats)
* No 3rd rear head restraint (centtre)

These are in addition to others like no Climatronic, no electric seats and memory functions, Cruise Control, 8 speakers instead of 12 etc.

I can understand skimping on some creature comforts, but why skimp on ESP, EDL, 6 airbags etc in a "sports" variant ? I mean, sure, experienced driveheads will turn off ESP now and then, but others need the ESP to help drive above their level, or ?

@prithwi-81 : Could be. Earlier it was 10.99 for everyone (don't know if there could be corp discount on top). In any case, Classic costed ~2l less than Ambiente.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 11th September 2011 at 17:45.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 23:25   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Was looking at the Skoda India website for the different Laura and RS trims wrt features. Some notable exceptions in the RS are:
* EDL (available in L&K)
* ESP (available in L&K)
* 4 airbags instead of 6 in L&K
* No rear AC vents in floor console ! (only rear AC ducts under the seats)
* No 3rd rear head restraint (centtre)

These are in addition to others like no Climatronic, no electric seats and memory functions, Cruise Control, 8 speakers instead of 12 etc.

I can understand skimping on some creature comforts, but why skimp on ESP, EDL, 6 airbags etc in a "sports" variant ? I mean, sure, experienced driveheads will turn off ESP now and then, but others need the ESP to help drive above their level, or ?

@prithwi-81 : Could be. Earlier it was 10.99 for everyone (don't know if there could be corp discount on top). In any case, Classic costed ~2l less than Ambiente.
Cost cutting i guess. Plus indian public doesnt care a lot about ESP, EDL, extra airbags etc. They would rather pay the same money for some body kit, touchscreen audio & sunroof.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:44   #298
BHPian

Finally got a test drive on the showroom car thru some contacts...

Suspension:
Springs are definately stiffer, much more fun on corners. There is also considerable reduction in sqatting during acceleration from a dead stop, which helps improve the pickup. Also noticeable reduction in dive under breaking which helps decrease breaking distances. The car doesnt unsettle under mid corner acceleration like the standard laura.

Ride is STIFF, and the unchanged height doesnt help either.. The stiff springs can be a real killer on speedbreakers and if you hit a sudden pothole.

What I am at a total loss for is WHY stiffen the springs, when the same could be achieved through stiffer sway bars, giving the car a nicer overall drive. Leave the comfty springs for the daily commute, and add stiffer sways to settle the car in hard cornering.

Wheels and Tires:
16inch wheels look good, but seriously try and get a set of 17's from the dealer. 205 rubber is definately better than the ambiente, but this setup cries out for 225s.

Interiors:
The gauges(Speedo and Tacho) are different from the standard Ambiente/Elegance Laura. Dont get why there is no bluetooth function even though the headunit supports it.
Seats are comfortable, alcantara is a sweet touch but WHITE?? that is asking for disaster.The leather quality on 'non seating' surfaces is pathetic. Bolster are nice but quite soft, which makes me worry, as the seams are white stiched, and with soft bolsters this will make the seams look wavey instead of straight as the car ages.

Sunroof.. on a sports car... Seriously????!! It not only adds weight to the wrong side of the car, its also too tiny to really be of any use. Skoda needs to learn from MB and BMW on sunroof sizing and positioning! Its so small that it looks and feels like a cheap aftermarket addon.

Gear throw appears to be shorter. but it just may be the different shift knob.
Also still cant hear the engine!! Now if i'm buying a sports car, I want to hear the engine growl/roar dammit!

Summary:
Great start for a sporty laura, but they should have kept to the original VRS DNA which made the Octavia VRS such a hit.
I'd love to see a VRS 'Classic'/'Base' Edition with basic stereo, sportier seats, larger sway bars, lower suspension, 17x225s, louder/bigger exhaust and NO sunroof, No Xeons. Price it at 13L and it'll be every enthusiasts wet dream.

I know people here would love to add the 200hp 2.0TSI to the list above, but seriously folks, this is India, and with avg traffic speeds of 20kmph, the 2.0TSI's turbo lag would kill any fun you can have at low speed traffic. 1.8TSI's powerband is perfectly suited to the traffic conditions in India IMHO.
prithwi-81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 18:59   #299
BHPian

Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
As others mentioned you can't compare with the Verna. Compared to the earlier vRS the TSi is softly sprung and it rolls a fair bit. Don't compare with Altis, Verna, NHC and the likes.

As GTO mentioned the vRS has to have a lowered and stiffened suspension like the earlier vRS. vRS stands for Victor Rally Sport so if they add beige, high profile tyres and softer suspension it does not deserve the badge.
Bro , are you sure the vRS stands for Victor Rally Sport ? i'm asking because i was going mad asking everyone what the heck did v in the vRS stand for ??? and if you throw some light about the history behind that badge , would be very nice.
Old 18th September 2011, 10:44   #300
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
Bro , are you sure the vRS stands for Victor Rally Sport ? i'm asking because i was going mad asking everyone what the heck did v in the vRS stand for ??? and if you throw some light about the history behind that badge , would be very nice.
Yes, vRs stands for Victor Rally Sport. Many places it also mentioned as Victory Rally Sport.
Also some places it referred as Vrchlabí (Where Skoda auto factory is located)

Last edited by v&v : 18th September 2011 at 11:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks