Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 17:20   #91
BHPian

re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I drive a car with DSG and i verify that. Reason is a human being cannot drive all the time focusing on precise shift points and exact gear ratios, DSG is much smarter + it does not have any torque convertor etc which saps power so all of the torque is directly transmitted to wheels.

Whenever i try driving with just a light tap on accelerator pedal, i get shockingly good FE figures. Even in the D mode the response time is rapid, now for example i am slowly overtaking a truck and i spot something heading towards me and i need to get away, all i have to do is push the pedal all the way down to press the kick down button and by the time i would have taken to calculate the right gear and executed the task in a MT car this car is already rushing with all the power available(Kick down button works in all modes including Manual).

Seven months and 15000 kms later, i do not miss the Manual transmission at all. I am not sure if i will ever buy a MT as my daily drive.
Trust me you will never go back to an MT for your regular drive now . See my signature, all the cars in my garage are A/T apart from the Innova, which will also be due for replacement by the time the new facelifted T-fort is out and we are so looking forward to an A/T Fortunter already .

But then again, you absolutely need a good A/T, the DSG on that front is an insane gearbox. My Corolla Altis has the 4-speed CVT torque converter which literally saps power from the engine which i don't like at all (and anyways its not my daily drive so I don't care much, its my sisters car and for her, as long as there's no effort of the clutch and the gearshifts, she doesn't care).

Skoda Laura is one of my favorites (though I love the thirstier Civic that I drive). I absolutely love the diesel grunt, the torque and of course the DSG. Have driven my cousin sisters 2.0 TDI DSG. Will be eagerly looking forward to the vRS, as we all know, that badging is not just skin deep. I say a vRS with a diesel (2.0 TDI which develops a 177bhp from the VW Stable) will be the icing on the cake.
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:28   #92
Team-BHP Support

BSMotoring has reported that the RS launch is on the 31st of this month, with an expected price of 16-17 lakhs. That’s quite good pricing IMO.

Reference Link: HOT! All the launches in August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:22   #93
BHPian

^^^
Second that.
Hormazd Sorabjee tweets "Skoda Laura RS launch on Aug 31st. Looks sportier but performance same as 1.8 TSi engine unchanged"

So, no 170hp Diesel! As expected.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:24   #94
Team-BHP Support

Looks like no DSG either. What a disappointment.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:19   #95
BHPian

No Traction Control either, I guess. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
ASR will be there, take it or leave it
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:34   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm reasonably sure ESP will be there too. But I'm still hoping there is a DSG though reports seem to suggest otherwise.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:54   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

All the news articles on the Internet say the RS will have the same 1.8 TSI 160hp engine, in the same state of tune, just the body kit and equipment will be added. Maybe a stiffer suspension setup too. RS variant will have 2 exclusive shades, Blue and Yellow. No news on the DSG, the DSG will push up the price by atleast a lakh so i guess Skoda is trying to avoid it here.

1.8 TSI is powerful enough to deserve a RS badge for India, though 2.0TFSI(For the extra performance) or 2.0TDI 170hp(For the ability to deliver FE even when smoking tires) could have made the car a lot more tempting. With just the TSI engine i hope they are not expecting volumes out of this variant, enthusiasts with high usage still would want to go in for the TDI DSG.

My favorite RS would have been 170hp TDI DSG, never mind i can always get the engine remapped and get the kit. The real driver's RS would have been the 2.0 TSI MT. Let's wait for the launch..

Quote:
Don't worry about this, all variants of Laura in India including the bare basic 1.8 TSi Classic come with Traction Control System(Called ASR in Skoda language), so the RS will have the TCS.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd August 2011 at 18:01. Reason: Added a point.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:40   #99
BHPian

Will the launch of the new RS flush out some of the older RS'es into the pre-worshipped car market? It will be really good for the not-so-rich enthusiasts.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:15   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
i'll be only interested in the RS if it comes with DSG + Paddle shifts. Enthusiasts now prefer automatics. At least i do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Looks like no DSG either. What a disappointment.
I heard today that there *is* going to be a DSG option on the RS in addition to the MT. Though frankly I don't see the point in it.

Quote:
All the news articles on the Internet say the RS will have the same 1.8 TSI 160hp engine, in the same state of tune, just the body kit and equipment will be added. Maybe a stiffer suspension setup too.
That appears to be correct. Like you said it would be awesome if they could have plonked in the higher tuned 170 BHP version of the same engine. 200 BHP FSI I guess was hoping for too much.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:15   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I heard today that there *is* going to be a DSG option on the RS in addition to the MT. Though frankly I don't see the point in it.
You just made my day. If that actually happens then that is the next car we are getting. I wish it had the 170bhp diesel, but I guess 160bhp is good enough. With a 7 speed DSG and paddles it will be really fun to drive.
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:01   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You just made my day. If that actually happens then that is the next car we are getting. I wish it had the 170bhp diesel, but I guess 160bhp is good enough. With a 7 speed DSG and paddles it will be really fun to drive.
this is already available in the superb since 2yrs+, if u want 1.8tsi with dsg nothin can beat the super in VFM

cheers..
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:52   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
this is already available in the superb since 2yrs+, if u want 1.8tsi with dsg nothin can beat the super in VFM

cheers..
Superb is too long. I want a car with a sporty intent. RS will be perfect with DSG. If not then the L&K, or possibly a bit higher pricerange.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 10:26   #104
Senior - BHPian

What colours will it available in?red,yellow and black?
Old 6th August 2011, 22:10   #105
BHPian

Quote:
All the news articles on the Internet say the RS will have the same 1.8 TSI 160hp engine, in the same state of tune, just the body kit and equipment will be added.
Disappointed. I thought it would 200 bhp as i rememeber reading it long time ago. 3L + over the existing Tsi just for suspension, seats and bodykit ? Makes no sense..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed