Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2011, 21:22   #31

re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Thought you guys should check this out. Its a 600 bhp, 200mph vRS monster.

Skoda's 200mph Octavia vRS | News | Auto Express
Old 10th June 2011, 23:00   #32
BHPian

Re: New Skoda Laura RS being launched in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
How can you say Laura 1.8TSi is faster than Kizashi. If we are talking about acceleration and not top end speed its the power to weight ratio that counts.

Laura power to weight ratio: 160/1360 = 118 bhp per tonne
Kizashi power to weight ratio: 178/1460 = 122 bhp per tonne
Laura TSI is FAST - Not only it has a turbo charger, it also has a super charger! He he - Super charger works are low revvs to give you a kick, and turbo takes over after the revvs have picked up. How better can it get.

There was a comparo between Laura TSI, Superb TSI and Kizashi. TSI won in all comparisons relevant to driving (except feature lists)

I am saving money for the vRS (incredibly long way to go though ) LAura vRS over Kizashi anyday for me!
Old 10th June 2011, 23:07   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Laura TSI is FAST - Not only it has a turbo charger, it also has a super charger! He he - Super charger works are low revvs to give you a kick, and turbo takes over after the revvs have picked up. How better can it get.

There was a comparo between Laura TSI, Superb TSI and Kizashi. TSI won in all comparisons relevant to driving (except feature lists)

I am saving money for the vRS (incredibly long way to go though ) LAura vRS over Kizashi anyday for me!
The 1.8TSi seen under the hood of Laura/Superb does not come with a supercharger, it only has a turbocharger.
Old 10th June 2011, 23:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The 1.8TSi seen under the hood of Laura/Superb does not come with a supercharger, it only has a turbocharger.
Sorry - My bad. I thought all TSI engines come with super + turbo chargers. Apparently, only 1.4 TSI has twinchargers. So much for my reading of TSI from VW
Old 11th June 2011, 18:56   #35
BHPian

What i meant was Laura RS is being launched in sept in India with the UK 2.0 ltr engine but without the turbo. Hence the 160bhp instead of 200bhp. Because in UK it comes with the turbo charger. I read this few days back in an article. That's was why I was sore because they are using the same engine but omitted the turbo for cost and fuel conscious Indians. For me personally, I think a driver's car or a sports car should accelerate from 0-100kmph atleast under 8 sec. Only then it will be fun to drive apart from good handling, harder suspension etc. I think none of our present cars do that, not sure about the Laura 1.8Tsi. there are cars costing above 20 lakhs which do it but they are beyond my budget. For example BMW 320D has a 0-100kmph time of 7.6 sec. Even superb and accord with the V6 engines can do below 8 sec easy but they cost above 25 lakhs. When will India get a car below 20 lakhs which can accelerate from 0-100 below 8 sec??? If laura RS that is gonna be launched in India really wants to be a sports car let it prove that it can do this time and i will buy it immediately
Old 11th June 2011, 19:29   #36
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
What i meant was Laura RS is being launched in sept in India with the UK 2.0 ltr engine but without the turbo. Hence the 160bhp instead of 200bhp. Because in UK it comes with the turbo charger.
Is this from any confirmed source? from reports, skoda is going to launch vRS with same 1.8Tsi but with modifications for better handling/dynamics and maybe dsg.

Quote:
When will India get a car below 20 lakhs which can accelerate from 0-100 below 8 sec???
Laura 1.8 tsi is pretty close at 0-100 of 8.3 secs and classic version is way less than 20lks

Last edited by mxx : 11th June 2011 at 19:31.
Old 11th June 2011, 19:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What i meant was Laura RS is being launched in sept in India with the UK 2.0 ltr engine but without the turbo. Hence the 160bhp instead of 200bhp. Because in UK it comes with the turbo charger. I read this few days back in an article. That's was why I was sore because they are using the same engine but omitted the turbo for cost and fuel conscious Indians. For me personally, I think a driver's car or a sports car should accelerate from 0-100kmph atleast under 8 sec. Only then it will be fun to drive apart from good handling, harder suspension etc. I think none of our present cars do that, not sure about the Laura 1.8Tsi. there are cars costing above 20 lakhs which do it but they are beyond my budget. For example BMW 320D has a 0-100kmph time of 7.6 sec. Even superb and accord with the V6 engines can do below 8 sec easy but they cost above 25 lakhs. When will India get a car below 20 lakhs which can accelerate from 0-100 below 8 sec??? If laura RS that is gonna be launched in India really wants to be a sports car let it prove that it can do this time and i will buy it immediately
There is no 2.0L tsi engine produced by VW group without turbo. The best they could do is bring the 2.0L Tsi engine and detune is to suit our regular low octane unleaded fuel. Even in detune form it should produce around 180Hp. However I believe it going to be 1.8Tsi engine that produces 160hp. Both the engine uses different turbo. 1.8tsi uses a Garrett turbo compared to K03 Borg warner that is used in 2.0Tsi.
With a simple remap one can have 1.8Tsi doing 210-220 hp with 260+ lb.ft of torque. With stage 2 mapping one could expect additional 10% performance.
In terms of performance it's not always HP figure that alone dictates performance it's also the torque that plays vital role. 1.8Tsi engine produces peak torque of 250NM at 1500rpm flat out upto 4500rpm compared to Kizashi that produces around 232 NM at 4000rpm. Also what adds to the performance is how the gear ratio are designed, 1.8Tsi engine uses short gear ratio on first four gears which helps in better acceleration and drivebility.
If you looking at car doing 0-100 under 8sec get a 1.8Tsi, remap it and you'l have one doing close to 7sec.

Last edited by Invinsible : 11th June 2011 at 19:42.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 20:05   #38
BHPian

Laura vRS 0-100kmph = 8.3 sec
suzuki kizashi manual transmission according to various reviews and forums on internet, 0-100kmph in 7.3 sec.

Isn't it clear that the Kizashi is the faster one here? It must be having higher top end too because of the grand vitara 2.4 ltr engine.

So do we really have a sub 20 lakhs car here(kizashi) which can do a 0-100 time under 8sec? That's awesome! and its totally imported and made in japan. Seems good to be true
Old 11th June 2011, 20:09   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
If you looking at car doing 0-100 under 8sec get a 1.8Tsi, remap it and you'l have one doing close to 7sec.
Is it really practically possible in India? Where in India can i get the remap done by experienced guys who know what they are doing. please give me some references in bangalore or hyderabad
Old 11th June 2011, 20:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think a driver's car or a sports car should accelerate from 0-100kmph atleast under 8 sec. Only then it will be fun to drive apart from good handling, harder suspension etc. I think none of our present cars do that, not sure about the Laura 1.8Tsi. there are cars costing above 20 lakhs which do it but they are beyond my budget. For example BMW 320D has a 0-100kmph time of 7.6 sec. Even superb and accord with the V6 engines can do below 8 sec easy but they cost above 25 lakhs.
Like invinsible posted, there is no 2.0 without a turbo. And even if they did bring it here it would be at 200bhp only since the A4 also has the same engine. As for your timings, the 320d doesn't do it in 7.6 seconds, it is 8.5 seconds + for sure. The Accord V6 is not under 8 seconds, and the Superb V6 on normal fuel is a shade under 8 seconds. Again there are many cars which can do 0-100 in around 8-9 seconds, but its after 100 where you can see the difference
Old 11th June 2011, 20:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Laura vRS 0-100kmph = 8.3 sec
suzuki kizashi manual transmission according to various reviews and forums on internet, 0-100kmph in 7.3 sec.

Isn't it clear that the Kizashi is the faster one here? It must be having higher top end too because of the grand vitara 2.4 ltr engine.

So do we really have a sub 20 lakhs car here(kizashi) which can do a 0-100 time under 8sec? That's awesome! and its totally imported and made in japan. Seems good to be true
Kizashi does a 0-100 in 9.13 while a Laura would do the same in 8.17 according to ACI . Can u please post the website which say that Kizashi does a 0-100 in less 8sec , i seriously doubt if its true
Old 11th June 2011, 20:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
As for your timings, the 320d doesn't do it in 7.6 seconds, it is 8.5 seconds + for sure. The Accord V6 is not under 8 seconds, and the Superb V6 on normal fuel is a shade under 8 seconds.
The new BMW 320D has been upgraded from the old 160 bhp 2ltr engine to the new 184bhp 2ltr engine. you can see the specs in bmw india website and also the 0-100kmph times. it really does it in 7.6 seconds.

Are you saying the new 3.5ltr 275bhp Accord V6 can't do 0-100 under 8 sec? Hmm.. now that's hard to believe.
Old 11th June 2011, 20:37   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came Across this news on Fifth Gear website-

Quote:
Skoda builds 200mph Octavia vRS

Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-vrs.jpeg

Skoda has built a one-off Octavia capable of 200mph to celebrate 10 years of the brand's vRS performance badge.

The modified car is due to at the Bonneville Speed Week near Salt Lake City in Utah this August where it will aim to achieve its impressive potential top speed.

Developed by Skoda's UK technical team at Milton Keynes, the standard Octavia vRS has been lowered by 80mm to improve aerodynamics and fitted with a roll cage to meet safety standards.

The standard 2.0-litre TSI petrol engine has been retained, but the engineers replaced its modest turbo with a Garret version capable of producing up to 28 PSI of boost.

In conjunction with high octane, ethanol-based race fuel, the humble four-pot's output has been increased to around 592bhp.

The car is entered into the 2.0-litre production car category, and will do a nine-mile run with the middle section being timed to determine the winner.

Robert Hazelwood, director for Skoda UK, said: “This is a landmark anniversary and going to Bonneville is a fitting tribute. It’s also an ambitious project which might surprise a few people, but Škoda is all about engineering excellence and this car is pushing that to new limits.”
Picture and new Article from Fifth Gear.
Old 11th June 2011, 20:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
Kizashi does a 0-100 in 9.13 while a Laura would do the same in 8.17 according to ACI . Can u please post the website which say that Kizashi does a 0-100 in less 8sec , i seriously doubt if its true
i think you are talking about kizashi cvt(auto transmission) or awd model. the manual transmission kizashi does it just under 8 sec according to car & driver magazine
Old 11th June 2011, 20:42   #45
BHPian

The laura 1.8 tsi motor with a stiff suspension & basic features would be a good deal. Hope Skoda keeps the price reasonable.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks