Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2011, 17:03   #61
BHPian

I think not many prodouction cars or any for that matter come with superchargers .It will be an offering once Hyundai comes out with something supercharged . Isn't Hyundai the one to come up with all such technology in their everyday usage cars for starters weren't they the first to offer common rail direct injection please correct me I maybe wrong.
Old 12th June 2011, 18:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Honestly, as long as they do a vRS, namely a stiffer suspension and add some goodies, I will be extremely happy. The Octavia vRS also ran the same engine as the regular 1.8 TPi, but it was one heck of a driving machine. I don't expect the Laura RS to have the same "driving on the edge" feeling as the Octavia, nor that beautiful steering, yet it will be one of the best driver cars in the market. The current Laura 1.8's soft OEM suspension is a huge let-down in an otherwise nice driving experience. Plus, it's stripped of even the most basic features as its sold today.

It's still going to be a market dud, and one that addresses a very niche segment. Few people are buying Laura petrols today, and the sales will only suffer more as petrol continues to get expensive.
GTO, you have worded it spot on. A Tsi with stiffer suspension + features like powered seats, fogs (basics that have been stripped), steering controls, sunroof, low profile tyres & LEDs is a sure shot hit with the enthusiasts. Genuinely a niche Market.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura vRS

This is real bad news. I really hoped they would sell the 2.0 litre engine in the RS. At least a turbo on the 1.8 Tsi would have been better. Just cosmetic is very disappointing to the say the least.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:24   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
This is real bad news. I really hoped they would sell the 2.0 litre engine in the RS. At least a turbo on the 1.8 Tsi would have been better. Just cosmetic is very disappointing to the say the least.
The TSi is already turbocharged. A 2.0 Tsi would have been ideal but looking at the way petrol prices are rising, it might not make sense to bring in the 2.0Tsi when Skoda is having a tough time selling the 1.8 TSi.
Old 12th June 2011, 23:54   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Lol you and dharmana are talking like they are ripping us off totally. They aren't putting a 2.0 badge and a 1.8 under the hood. If they sell the 1.8tsi with a 7 speed DSG, paddle shifts, 17" rims, better music system, sports seats, bodykit + DRLs, upgraded suspension I think it will be the perfect compromise between power and efficiency. The 2.0t would guzzle more gas while the 1.8tsi is quite efficient for its size, and pretty darn quick.
Old 13th June 2011, 22:18   #66
BANNED

re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

i'll be only interested in the RS if it comes with DSG + Paddle shifts. Enthusiasts now prefer automatics. At least i do.

Last edited by rana_kirti : 13th June 2011 at 22:39.
Old 14th June 2011, 08:25   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Skoda Laura RS being launched in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The 1.8TSi seen under the hood of Laura/Superb does not come with a supercharger, it only has a turbocharger.
I have an old brochure of the last generation Passat which was sold with a 1.8 TSI. There is a page which describes the 1.8 TSI, wherein it says that "it combines the turbocharger and the supercharger in a manner that the two complement each other in an optimal fashion to deliver both power and efficiency". Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the same TSI engine is doing duty in the present Laura.

Attaching snap shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-passat-tsi1.jpg  

Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L-passat-tsi2.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 11:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I have an old brochure of the last generation Passat which was sold with a 1.8 TSI. There is a page which describes the 1.8 TSI, wherein it says that "it combines the turbocharger and the supercharger in a manner that the two complement each other in an optimal fashion to deliver both power and efficiency". Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the same TSI engine is doing duty in the present Laura.

Attaching snap shots.
Blame it on VW then who is misguiding the customers by giving out wrong information. The 1.8 TSi we get here in Laura, Superb and Passat(prev gen) does not come with a supercharger+Turbocharger combo.

AFAIK only the 1.4TSi/TFSi(in Audi language) comes with the twincharger(Supercharger+Turbocharger).
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 11:46   #69
Team-BHP Support

I think Skoda should consider introducing the Laura vRS with a diesel engine, just like the vRS sold in some European markets. It would make much more sense in our market, considering the rising-fuel prices. They could launch the petrol vRS too, for those who don't mind spending the extra money on fuel.

I reckon that Skoda will resort to de-tuning the 2.0 petrol engine, if it ever does find its way into the Laura's engine bay. They had de-tuned the Octavia vRS's 1.8 lump when they brought it down, so I'd expect the same again.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I think Skoda should consider introducing the Laura vRS with a diesel engine, just like the vRS sold in some European markets. It would make much more sense in our market, considering the rising-fuel prices. They could launch the petrol vRS too, for those who don't mind spending the extra money on fuel.

I reckon that Skoda will resort to de-tuning the 2.0 petrol engine, if it ever does find its way into the Laura's engine bay. They had de-tuned the Octavia vRS's 1.8 lump when they brought it down, so I'd expect the same again.
I really wish they do, and since they already have access to the engine i.e. the Passat's heart, they should be able to provide us the diesel VRs. I for one will go straight and book one. Skoda are you listening

I feel if they do so they will find even more buyers, and maybe, just maybe will push other manufacturer's to do something similar, maybe a Polo/fabia 1.6 TDi
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 12:15   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Blame it on VW then who is misguiding the customers by giving out wrong information. The 1.8 TSi we get here in Laura, Superb and Passat(prev gen) does not come with a supercharger+Turbocharger combo.

AFAIK only the 1.4TSi/TFSi(in Audi language) comes with the twincharger(Supercharger+Turbocharger).
Whoa! THats really shocking and very bad on VW's part to mislead customers. Customers will not know what to believe and what not to believe. If they talk about superchargers without actually providing it, who knows what else they are fibbing about. They should be careful about what they print. It becomes a serious credibility issue with the company. Salesmen at showrooms are known for their loose talk without knowing the facts, but this is not something one expects from a company like VW.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Details about the 1.8 TSi engine from Wikipedia-

Quote:
1.8 R4 16v TSI/TFSI 88-125kW (EA888)

identification
parts code prefix: 06H, 06J; ID codes: BYJ
engine displacement & engine configuration
1,798 cubic centimetres (109.7 cu in) EA888 inline-four engine (R4/I4); bore x stroke: 82.5 by 84.1 millimetres (3.25 in × 3.31 in), stroke ratio: 0.98:1 - 'square engine', 449.6 cc per cylinder; compression ratio: 9.6:1, 88 millimetres (3.46 in) cylinder spacing
cylinder block & crankcase

GJL 250 grey cast iron; 33 kg (73 lb), die-forged steel crankshaft with five 58 mm (2.28 in) diameter main bearings, two toothed chain-driven counter-rotating balance shafts suppressing second degree free inertial forces and oil pump, horizontal-baffled oil sump
cylinder head & valvetrain
cast aluminium alloy; four valves per cylinder, 16 valves total, low-friction roller finger cam followers with automatic hydraulic valve clearance compensation, toothed chain-driven double overhead camshaft (DOHC), continuous vane-adjustable variable intake valve timing

aspiration
hot-film air mass meter, cast alloy throttle body with electronically controlled Bosch E-Gas 'drive by wire' throttle butterfly valve, plastic variable length controlled intake manifold with charge movement flaps controlling combustion chamber air movement, BorgWarner K03 water-cooled turbocharger incorporated into cast iron exhaust manifold, sandwiched central front-mounted intercooler (FMIC)

fuel system
fully demand-controlled and returnless; - fuel tank mounted low pressure fuel pump; Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI): single-piston high-pressure injection pump driven by a four-lobe cam on the exhaust camshaft supplying up to 150 bars (2,180 psi) fuel pressure in the stainless steel common rail fuel rail, four combustion chamber sited direct injection sequential solenoid-controlled six-hole fuel injectors, air-guided combustion process, multi-pulse dual-stage injection during the induction and compression stroke with homogeneous mixing, stratified lean-burn operation with excess air at part load, 95 RON unleaded ultra-low sulphur petrol

ignition system & engine management
centrally positioned longlife spark plugs, mapped direct ignition with four individual direct-acting single spark coils; Bosch Motronic MED electronic engine control unit (ECU), cylinder-selective knock control via two knock sensors, permanent lambda control
exhaust system
cast iron exhaust manifold (with integrated turbocharger), close-coupled and main catalytic converters - both ceramic

DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes
88 kilowatts (120 PS; 118 bhp) @ 4,000-6,200 rpm; 230 newton metres (170 ft·lbf) @ 1,500-3,650rpm — Audi A4, SEAT Exeo
118 kilowatts (160 PS; 158 bhp) @ 5,000-6,200 rpm; 250 newton metres (180 ft·lbf) @ 1,500-4,200 rpm, 165 N·m (122 ft·lbf) from 1,000 rpm — CDAA Škoda Yeti
118 kilowatts (160 PS; 158 bhp) @ 4,500-6,200 rpm; 250 newton metres (180 ft·lbf) @ 1,500-4,500 rpm — Audi B8 A4, Audi 8P A3, Audi TT Mk2 (8J), SEAT Exeo
125 kilowatts (170 PS; 168 bhp) @ 4,800-6,200 rpm; 250 newton metres (180 ft·lbf) @ 1,500-4,800 rpm — Audi A5

applications
Audi TT Mk2 (8J), Audi 8P A3, Audi B7 A4, Audi B8 A4, Audi A5, SEAT Leon Mk2 (1P), SEAT Altea XL, Škoda Yeti, Škoda Octavia Mk2 (1Z), Škoda Superb Mk2 (3T) / Octavia Ming Rui, VW Jetta Mk5/Sagitar, VW Passat B6, VW Passat CC
Details about other VW Group Petrol engines can be seen here. Laura owners can find list of all engines offered worldwide for Laura with FE and performance data in the owner's manual. In Europe the Octavia(named Laura here) RS version comes with 2.0TSi and 2.0 CR TDi 170hp(Same as Passat) engines.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th June 2011 at 12:56.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 16:28   #73
BHPian

some observations from you tube:

chevrolet cruze 2.0 diesel manual transmission 0-100kmph: 9.5 secs
Skoda laura 1.8 Tsi manual transmission 0-100kmph: 8.5 secs
Skoda superb 3.6 lt V6 manual 0-100kmph: 6.5 secs
Mitsubishi evo X manual 0-100kmph: 5 secs

This is the big surprise, Kizashi automatic transmission 0-100kmph: 9 secs. So the kizashi manual transmission can atleast do a full second better than the automatic version, meaning it will accelerate from 0-100 in 8 secs, which makes it faster than laura 1.8 tsi. And as we know Laura VRS will have same engine as laura 1.8 tsi which has a 0-100 time of 8.5 sec, kizashi MT will be the new winner in the performance department in the sub 20 lakhs category.
Old 18th June 2011, 16:57   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmana View Post
This is the big surprise, Kizashi automatic transmission 0-100kmph: 9 secs. So the kizashi manual transmission can atleast do a full second better than the automatic version, meaning it will accelerate from 0-100 in 8 secs, which makes it faster than laura 1.8 tsi. And as we know Laura VRS will have same engine as laura 1.8 tsi which has a 0-100 time of 8.5 sec, kizashi MT will be the new winner in the performance department in the sub 20 lakhs category.
I am sorry, but cannot stop myself from commenting on this one.

Performance cars are not just about 0-100 figures. You can feel and hope for Kizashi to be a winner in the sub-20 lakhs performance category. If I am a buyer who is looking for a petrol sedan, I may weigh the options between Laura 1.8 TSi, Kizashi etc., but if I am in the market for a RS kind of a performance sedan, Kizashi will not be there in my radar at all. My next option currently will be in twice or thrice the said price bracket.

Not that Suzuki is incapable of doing it. If they can do a Kizashi sport in the lines of Swift sport, then we can talk of competition.
Old 19th June 2011, 01:53   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If I am a buyer who is looking for a petrol sedan, I may weigh the options between Laura 1.8 TSi, Kizashi etc., but if I am in the market for a RS kind of a performance sedan, Kizashi will not be there in my radar at all. My next option currently will be in twice or thrice the said price bracket.
Let's say i am looking for the fastest car in sub 25 lakhs category. for me performance is all about speed and acceleration along with good handling. Still, Laura 3.5 ltr V6 will smoke a Laura VRs on a straight line dash. Speed and acceleration is all about 0-100 and 100-200 kmph times. that's what puts cars like mitsubishi evo X in a different league to cars like Laura. If it was not about acceleration and only about handling, Honda civic would have been called a sports car.
Of course laura VRs got good sporty styling and handling but that doesn't make it a sports car.Neither kizashi or laura V6 are sports cars either. But they are faster than Laura VRs and that's what i'm trying to say.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks