Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 10:08   #196
BHPian

Re: Skoda launching the Laura vRS soon? *UPDATE* BHPian drives it Pg.13

Well, this is nothing but a Laura Tsi with trim bits from other variants and JETTA alloys. But i feel this 'Vrs' has all the right options ticked !
It has the xenons, sunroof and the 510HU from the L&K. Leather(?),and auto mirrors from other variants. And that sexy bodykit with a few Vrs badges !
I can live with manual AC and states provided they launch it around the 15lakh mark, At which point it will be the best petrol sedan your 15-16lakhs can buy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
Im gettin tired of thd audi i really might sell it and go all out with a VRS doing stage 3 etc...i have booked an innova for a daily driver so ill be set . Does petes have everything for the 1.8 tsi engines?
Exactly !! A year later, after some saving up and running-in, Take her to Peter and you have a new beast !!
Old 28th August 2011, 10:13   #197
BHPian

I dont think i would need to save up if i sold the audi to get a skoda hahhaha lol...but if i do make that move expect my vrs to be petes kitted within 3 months or atleast it will have stage 2 on but that will be from revo.
Old 28th August 2011, 10:42   #198

Folks

I saw the new Laura vRS being tested in Pune a couple of days back. It had a MH-20 (Aurangabad) registration and was in Yellow colour. After stopping the guy driving it, he said it is due launch on 31st Aug. The one thing I did not like about the car was the alloys. They are nowhere close to my Octavia vRS's mags !

And yes it is launching with the same 1.8 TSI engine currently living life to the Laura/Superb/A4. That's the only variant available.

Let's hope to see the Laura vRS on 31st Aug then !!

Sukhbir
Old 28th August 2011, 11:05   #199
BHPian

I am already getting thoughts on how to get this beauty since i recently got my TSI ambiente (the ones without fogs)

2 options come to my mind:

1. Sell the TSI and go for the VRS. Simple option but costly.

2. If it's only the body kit that is different in the VRS compared to the TSI then why not get the same done to my TSI? I already have 17" alloys and they are a step ahead of the 16" on the VRS. Although I am not sure if I can get the sunroof n all. Also is this doable? Where to get this done in Bangalore? At the service center? Independent garage? No clue on these questions.

What is the better option? What do you experts think?
Old 28th August 2011, 11:20   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
I am already getting thoughts on how to get this beauty since i recently got my TSI ambiente (the ones without fogs)

2. If it's only the body kit that is different in the VRS compared to the TSI then why not get the same done to my TSI? I already have 17" alloys and they are a step ahead of the 16" on the VRS. Although I am not sure if I can get the sunroof n all. Also is this doable? Where to get this done in Bangalore? At the service center? Independent garage? No clue on these questions.

What is the better option? What do you experts think?
To be honest, buying and retrofitting the bodykit and all would probably equal the amount of money you would lose if you sold your tsi. My suggestion is to try and sell your car, transfer the 17s to the VRs and put those rims on the tsi.

A sunroof is doable with webasto, but again it will cost 50-60k upwards, and the fitting will never be as good as a factory fit.
Old 28th August 2011, 11:24   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Let me be the first one to throw cold water (Apologies for that) but i don't think either would make sense. Option one would be a financial misstep (May be slightly better choice depending on your own financial strength).

Option 2 is alright as far only alloys or some vRS cladding is changed. The after market sunroof are known to leak water and aren't very reliable. I have seen sunroof leaking and making noise when opened/closed. An badly fit Sunroof also does not shield outside heat better and is a drain on the AC.
Old 28th August 2011, 12:19   #202
BHPian

Skoda just spoilt it all for those who were even vaguely looking forward to the vRS. They would have been better off selling these addons seperately to keen customers of the TSI, or even the diesel one for that matter.
senindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 12:53   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the intial impressions of the Laura vRS. I had an inkling the specs would be more or less the same. It's really a big disappointment for enthusiasts as in all sense its a fake RS. Its like stiffening up the suspension of the 1.6 Fiesta and add skirts and add voila it becomes the sports version.

If Skoda had taken the risk and been bullish and introduced atleast 200 BHP with engine good for further tuning, it would have gotten this car in the "iconic" category. Sad that's not happening.

And, vRS trim in White color...Yucks....I would like this trim only in racing colors with very high preference to yellow.

Skoda should prepare itself for some dismal sales of this new entrant to their stable.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:03   #204
Team-BHP Support

I'm not really surprised by this move, by Skoda. In fact, I sort of expected it.

You see, when the Octavia vRS was first introduced in our market, several people expected it to have the exact same 1.8 turbo lump in it. And they weren't disappointed. But what Skoda had done is fiddled with the ECU and managed to lower the horsepower figure to 150, from 180, in the name of fuel-economy and low-quality-fuel.

And now they've gone and done the same thing, all over again! In fact, they've done even worse. Instead of a simple tweak/de-tune, they've just taken a regular TSI, and slapped on some kit and a vRS badge.

More was expected from you, Skoda.

Quote:
Im gettin tired of thd audi i really might sell it and go all out with a VRS doing stage 3 etc...i have booked an innova for a daily driver so ill be set . Does petes have everything for the 1.8 tsi engines?
Quote:
I dont think i would need to save up if i sold the audi to get a skoda hahhaha lol...but if i do make that move expect my vrs to be petes kitted within 3 months or atleast it will have stage 2 on but that will be from revo.
If you're serious about that, then may I suggest you swap the Laura vRS' 16" wheels for the 19" ones on your Audi? And then take it to Petes for a much needed steroid-diet.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th August 2011 at 13:05.
Old 28th August 2011, 14:06   #205
mxx
BHPian

Quote:

Do you think it is logical to spent money a new pseudo-VRs?
That will be too much money foolishly wasted for very little gain. What skoda is bringing is just a normal skoda laura 1.8 with body kit and tweaked suspension-this is nothing close to the actual vrs on sale elsewhere. If you are buying for a vrs dont. If you are buying for bells and whistles think how much you need those. For example ask owners of cars with sunroof-they will tell you a majority hardly use it. Will you drive will sunroof open in bangalore traffic with all that pollution?

Stick with your tsi, unless the vrs has some serious performance advantage. You already have good alloys, maybe you can add body kits later.
Old 28th August 2011, 14:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

If you're serious about that, then may I suggest you swap the Laura vRS' 16" wheels for the 19" ones on your Audi? And then take it to Petes for a much needed steroid-diet.
Lol i dont think the 19s would fit on the laura plus i think the laura uses 5x100 pcd instead of 5x112 which my audi uses i could be wrong though.
Old 28th August 2011, 15:08   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lol i dont think the 19s would fit on the laura plus i think the laura uses 5x100 pcd instead of 5x112 which my audi uses i could be wrong though.
19" on the Laura would certainly be overkill. The vRS abroad runs on 18". I think 17" would be the best option for Indian road conditions. I'm not really an expert on PCDs and appropriate wheel-tyre sizes for cars, although I'm well versed with what's available and on offer on cars here in India.
Old 28th August 2011, 15:40   #208
Team-BHP Support

Well, this could be a ploy from Skoda to boost the sales of 1.8 TSI. What’s the harm in kitting up the 1.8 TSI, and sell it for a bit of premium. And the current 1.8 TSI by itself is a great car. AFAIK, they don’t have this configuration for the RS in any other markets.

Just a thought – it could be also a possibility that, in the near future they keep the 1.8 TSI for the RS alone, and bring the 1.4 TSI as the regular petrol option (along with the arrival of Jetta petrol).
Old 28th August 2011, 16:17   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

To be honest, buying and retrofitting the bodykit and all would probably equal the amount of money you would lose if you sold your tsi. My suggestion is to try and sell your car, transfer the 17s to the VRs and put those rims on the tsi.

A sunroof is doable with webasto, but again it will cost 50-60k upwards, and the fitting will never be as good as a factory fit.
Going for the VRS makes sense only if it comes here with it's original specs. But is a costly option no doubt. But will be at least worth the cost.

I am not very keen on the sunroof. It is just a nice-to-have in the list of features. I am looking more for features like xenon lamps, auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers and of course Fog lamps. Rest is cosmetic like spoiler, skirtings, etc that is not essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806

Let me be the first one to throw cold water (Apologies for that) but i don't think either would make sense. Option one would be a financial misstep (May be slightly better choice depending on your own financial strength).

Option 2 is alright as far only alloys or some vRS cladding is changed. The after market sunroof are known to leak water and aren't very reliable. I have seen sunroof leaking and making noise when opened/closed. An badly fit Sunroof also does not shield outside heat better and is a drain on the AC.
No apologies needed. Agree with you on the financial wisdom part. As I said it would be worth the cost only if I would get the VRS in it's true form. Not the pseudo trim.

For option 2, as long as there is an option to add accessories, i will be happy to keep my TSI. I can pick and choose what I want. Again, sunroof is not a requirement. Can be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx

Do you think it is logical to spent money a new pseudo-VRs?
That will be too much money foolishly wasted for very little gain.

Stick with your tsi, unless the vrs has some serious performance advantage. You already have good alloys, maybe you can add body kits later.
Agreed. I want to stick to the TSI but lack of even basic features like fog lamps got me thinking. The performance of TSI is pretty decent and would keep me happy for some more time to come. However I would definitely like to have an option to add a VRS body kit even if that means part by part.

The claim by the service folks that fogs cannot be added just pisses me off. I somehow can't comprehend that. They are not clear themselves if it's possible and give very unconvincing answers. Not that I cannot live without Fogs. Its just a constant feeling that I got to do something about it.

Maybe I should look for an independent garage or skoda expert who can do that for me.

Last edited by Maibaa : 28th August 2011 at 16:28.
Old 28th August 2011, 18:49   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Going for the VRS makes sense only if it comes here with it's original specs. But is a costly option no doubt. But will be at least worth the cost.

I am not very keen on the sunroof. It is just a nice-to-have in the list of features. I am looking more for features like xenon lamps, auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers and of course Fog lamps. Rest is cosmetic like spoiler, skirtings, etc that is not essential.
TSI is no more on diet. Fog Lamps are back and some of the missing features are back!

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th August 2011 at 12:36. Reason: Please dont quote the whole post for a one-liner
Closed Thread

Most Viewed