Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 23:47   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura vRS launched @ Rs.15.19L

Indian roads make it ride too high for a vRS. Hence loses a bit of character.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:57   #257
BHPian

So Skoda has finally launched the Laura RS with 1.8tsi petrol engine and 160 bhp. A big let down, because i was expecting the UK version(2 ltr 200bhp) and instead what we have here is a cosmetic upgrade of the big flop Laura 1.8 tsi. Apart from 16 inch alloys, twin exhausts, sports bumpers and front, rear spoilers i don't see any other differences between the Laura and the RS version. And they have priced it at 16 lakhs show room price which is a good 2-3 lakhs more expensive than the Laura. With a power to weight ratio of 116, this would hardly be called a sports car in other parts of the world but atleast its going to be faster than the civics and corollas if not the bmws and benzs which cost a bomb.

I will prefer the Cruze over this Laura RS anyday because Cruze has similar pricing, awesome looks, diesel engine(think fuel economy!) and can hold its own against the Laura in terms of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
P.S: Sorry if this has been asked before but can someone post the acceleration times for the car in Indian spec? Including in gear acceleration etc?
0-100 kmph time is 8.3 sec, which is the same as Laura 1.8 tsi because they have the same engine and bodyweight. In no terms would i call this RS a sports car. its just a copy of the stock Laura. The RS cannot even hold a candle to Mitsubishi Evolution which races to 0-100 in 5 secs. But of course Evo would cost 30 lakhs+. I believe the Honda Accord and Skoda Superb with 3.5 ltr 260 bhp V6 engines are way faster than the RS with 0-100 times of 6.5 secs. Laura RS is equal to Kizashi Manual transmission in terms of performance and acceleration

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st September 2011 at 10:13. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post if posting with 30mins.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:33   #258
Team-BHP Support

I saw a white RS being driven from the yard, so I follwed it to the Tafe showroom. Took a look at the Yeti then asked to see the RS. Was shown a yellow RS being cleaned up for the showroom

1: Nice interiors - it is an ambient with a sunroof + sports seats. The RS seats are narrow due to the bolsters.

2: Exterior - kit is nice but it looks very gawky due to high suspension and the wheels do not go with the kit.

As I was going back to my RS, a sales manager walked in and told me don't sell your RS, it is too valuable. It is not a patch on the Laura RS in terms of excitement

Oh, I walked in from looking at a new Jetta, the Laura is much better in fit and finish but the lacks solidity of the old RS.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 11:42   #259
BHPian

Now I have to see what features of the RS can I add to my TSI. I would be looking specifically at:
1. Front bumper with those LEDs and Fogs
2. Xenon headlamps
3. Rear spoiler + chrome tipped exhaust.
4. I already have 17" alloys. Need to see how different is the handling in the new RS as compared to the current ambiente TSI trim with 17" alloys.

First of all is there an option to add the the above to my ambiente? I can't wait
Old 1st September 2011, 12:13   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senindra View Post
Is there any way to get a navigation system working on the system provided by skoda? Also, where exactly is the aux port located ? Glove box? Centre arm rest? Tried google but it did not give me proper answers.
Centre arm rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Now I have to see what features of the RS can I add to my TSI. I would be looking specifically at:
1. Front bumper with those LEDs and Fogs
2. Xenon headlamps
3. Rear spoiler + chrome tipped exhaust.
4. I already have 17" alloys. Need to see how different is the handling in the new RS as compared to the current ambiente TSI trim with 17" alloys.

First of all is there an option to add the the above to my ambiente? I can't wait
No such option from the dealers/company. But i am sure the once you have listed can be done. for the LED DRLs/Xenons you will need hardware + some VCDS coding work.
Old 1st September 2011, 16:07   #261
Senior - BHPian

Had a brilliant time at Skoda, me and AVR and h@rsh@al went to skoda dealer here and once we enter were looking around for the Laura vRS, someone comes and asks,'how may I help you?'

H@rsh@l says,'we are looking for the vRS'
He says,'sir, would you like it in diesel or petrol'

It's amazing how certain companies just can't even give basic training to their staff? I mean he wasn't even aware of any such car and that's a shame considering Ahmedabad / gujarat is a big enough market for them to not even communicate to the showroom?

Will have to wait a few days until I can see it in person.

Regards,
Old 1st September 2011, 16:10   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Had a brilliant time at Skoda, me and AVR and h@rsh@al went to skoda dealer here and once we enter were looking around for the Laura vRS, someone comes and asks,'how may I help you?'

H@rsh@l says,'we are looking for the vRS'
He says,'sir, would you like it in diesel or petrol'

It's amazing how certain companies just can't even give basic training to their staff? I mean he wasn't even aware of any such car and that's a shame considering Ahmedabad / gujarat is a big enough market for them to not even communicate to the showroom?

Will have to wait a few days until I can see it in person.

Regards,
You missing an important part here. Upon entering we were greeted by a sales guy and upon asked if they have the vRS on display he promptly agreed and we got really excited. And then came the question "Petrol or Diesel".

Later upon clarification he says, only Laura is available, we don't have any info on vRS.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:55   #263
Senior - BHPian

Today we went to take a look at vRS at TAFE on Hosur Road hoping to get a test ride. The showroom was officially closed but there was someone to attend and we were the only ones who were in the showroom, so the SA and the vRS were all to ourselves.

vRS test drive car isn't available yet and hence when it is available they will give a test drive. Also the exterior colour and alloys look cool on the car. He will get me the price list of vRS on saturday when we test drive the normal TSI.

Only thing my wife did not liked was the interior colour as it was all black and gave a sense of lack of space, in comparison the TSI has beige interiors and gives a sense of lots of space.
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:47   #264
BHPian

Saw the car in person at Giriraj Motors in Gurgaon. LOOKS GREAT in Blue.

1. Wheels are also a good fit, car looks a little lower.
2. Suspension change is verified. New struts n Springs. Also, fatter sways from the looks of it. Everything else is mechaincally same as the TSI Ambiente.
3. Seats feel nice but appear to be badly stitched on the sides, good side support though. Black interiors look excellent.
4. Steering wheel -FAT and Meaty, looks good, but seems to be a bit TOO FAT. OEM TSI steering is nice enuff. Thumb supports are a good +.
5. Pedals are a nice touch, but my experince with metal pedals is that they get to be slippy once the rubber pads wear out.
6. Gear shifter feels lower, its got the new 2011 gear knob so could be just that.
7. Sunroof is too small, feels CHEAP and almost in the middle of the car. Might as well not be there, as it just adds weight on the wrong side of an already heavy n high slung 'sports' car.

All in all, I loved it. Price is also ok, at ~16 lacs + corporate discount + corporate lease, I'm definately hitting this one once the EMI's for the TSI are over next year may. (Hoping for a DSG edition coming in till then)
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:23   #265
BHPian

Come on skoda why with a 1.8 tsi engine and no DSG.The car looks super hot in blue.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:09   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

Only thing my wife did not liked was the interior colour as it was all black and gave a sense of lack of space, in comparison the TSI has beige interiors and gives a sense of lots of space.

Now we know where we can attribute the deluge of beige in the indian auto scene: TBHP WAGs!

I just wish one had a choice; those who want "space" over practicality can order that, and those who want practicality over big interior detailing bills can have that!

(At the end of the day, I really don't think the interiors grow any bigger apart from in one's mind, anyway! Your knees will either hit the front seat or it won't, regardless of beige or black!)
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:26   #267
Senior - BHPian

Good pricing indeed. Good on you Skoda.

My only grouse(s):
1. No 17" wheels. The RS should have had them.
2. No steering mounted controls. Whats the reason on omitting this?
3. No climatronic (not much of an essential, but more of a good to have).

P.S: How does one exactly calculate the stiffness of the suspension?

P.P.S: RS looks uber cool in the Yellow. Finally a car that looks good in that color (leaving the Lambo out, obvisouly).
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:43   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

For people looking for a little more power from the Laura RS.. There are options!
There is an interesting video from Unitronic on flashing the car through the OBD port.
Please see the video on
http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/sko...tsi_160hp.html

(I have no commercial affiliation and would recommend all users to be extremely cautious with any mods.. issued in public interest of the Speed Devils!)

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd September 2011 at 14:52.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:13   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For people looking for a little more power from the Laura RS.. There are options!
There is an interesting video from Unitronic on flashing the car through the OBD port.
Please see the video on
Performance Software - -

(I have no commercial affiliation and would recommend all users to be extremely cautious with any mods.. issued in public interest of the Speed Devils!)
There are quite a few option apart the one mentioned, like Custom Code uK, APR, Revo technik, Shark Performance, Celtic tuning, Dahlback, BB-automobiletechnik, etc. 220hp with 390NM of torque is what one can get max out of this engine with just stage 1 remap. One can even get hybrid, K03, K04 turbo and can get 300hp out of the engine. Possibilities are endless however a simple remap should be good enough.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:19   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
There are quite a few option apart the one mentioned, like Custom Code uK, APR, Revo technik, Shark Performance, Celtic tuning, Dahlback, BB-automobiletechnik, etc. 220hp with 390NM of torque is what one can get max out of this engine with just stage 1 remap. One can even get hybrid, K03, K04 turbo and can get 300hp out of the engine. Possibilities are endless however a simple remap should be good enough.
Yes, definitely there are a lot of remap options, but the one which I mentioned is the first one which any user can do a Stage 1 remap on their own through an OBD port with VAGcom (do see the video!) , whereas others offer a bench remap.

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd September 2011 at 15:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed