Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 20:01   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

The Nanos simply don't seem to stop catching fire. Here is one that recently caught fire in Sri Lanka.

Tata Nano catches fire in Sri Lanka!
Old 7th September 2011, 21:05   #167
BHPian

Thank you so much for the figures GTO, one of the most anticipated thread at the beginning of each month.

Surprised to see the City make such a impressive comeback. IMO the price cuts on the Jazz have not been well advertised and its only a matter of time before the Jazz picks up numbers.

Etios seems to be loosing market share, the upcoming diesel is bound to help it claw some back. Sad to see Linea doing such numbers, I absolutely love the car more so than the ANHV and Fiesta. SantaFe seems to be doing very well for itself, considering its pretty steeply priced for a Hyundai.

@GTO: Waiting for the Renault Fluence figures.
Old 8th September 2011, 09:45   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Couple of observation

1 - Are Wagon R and i10 really belong to segment B ?
2 - If so, why not we have another segment like B.5 for cars like Swift, Indica/Vista, ...?
3 - Similarly, Dzire doesnt belong to Segment C when Honda City & Manza belong to segment C.

Regarding the sales, its good to see Safari sold more than T-Fort
Aria may be on lower number since people may be waiting on 4X2 versions in September.

Prem.
Prem, the SIAM classification of segments is based purely on length of the car. Howevr, they were planning to change this adding engine displacement, power etc. but so far I don't think that has happened. source India Automotive: SIAM looks at reclassification of car segments

Till then we have to lump it with the length being the only criterion.
Old 8th September 2011, 14:30   #169
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Prem, the SIAM classification of segments is based purely on length of the car. Howevr, they were planning to change this adding engine displacement, power etc. but so far I don't think that has happened. source India Automotive: SIAM looks at reclassification of car segments

Till then we have to lump it with the length being the only criterion.
I think SIAM has already categorized vehicles based on length and engine capacity.

Source: Maruti Suzuki Sales in August 2011

Mini: Seats upto-5, Length Normally <3600 mm, Body Style-Hatchback, Engine Displacement Normally upto 1.0 Litre
Compact: Seats upto-5, Length Normally between 3600 - 4000 mm, Body Style-Sedan/Estate/Hatch/Notchback, Engine Displacement Normally upto 1.4 Litre
Super Compact: Seats upto-5, Length Normally between 4000 - 4250 mm, Body Style-Sedan/Estate/Hatch/Notchback, Engine Displacement Normally upto 1.6 Litre
Mid-Size: Seats upto-5, Length Normally between 4250 - 4500 mm, Body Style-Sedan/Estate/Hatch/Notchback, Engine Displacement Normally upto 1.6 Litre
Executive: Seats upto-5, Length Normally between 4500 - 4700 mm, Body Style-Sedan/Estate/Notchback, Engine Displacement Normally upto 2 Litre
Premium: Seats upto-5, Length Normally between 4700 - 5000 mm, Body Style-Sedan/Estates, Engine Displacement Normally upto 3 Litre
B: Utility Vehicles(UVs)
B: Utility Vehicles/ Sports Utility Vehicles; 2x4 or 4x4 offroad capability ; Generally ladder on frame ; 2 box ; 5 Seats or more but upto 10 Seats
UV1:Length <4400 mm, Price Upto Rs. 15 Lakh
UV4:Price Between Rs. 15 to 25 Lakh
C: Vans ; Generally 1 or 1.5 box; seats upto 5 to 10
V1:Hard tops mainly used for personal transport, Price Upto Rs. 10 Lakh

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th September 2011 at 14:41.
Old 9th September 2011, 00:17   #170
BHPian

I can see from list that Chevy Beat sold 4676 units ,does anyone have a list of how many diesels were sold

Eager to know as a beat D owner
Old 9th September 2011, 17:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Tata needs to seriously do something to get people to take a TD of Nano. A lot of people have misgivings about the car due to the original 1L price tag and the auto like exhaust note.

Also, i dont think trying to target Nano to bike owners is gonna work. Cars are still an aspirational item in India, and if people would opt for a Alto 9 times out of 10 due to the brand image of Maruti. A better idea is to target existing car owners who are looking for a second/third car as a pure city runabout/office commute. We were looking for a pure City car and found Nano to be the best VFM car for city use. It has AC, reasonable space, is as peppy as Alto/800 and breeze to park in congested Blr roads.
Old 9th September 2011, 19:48   #172
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update*

Renault & Porsche added to the opening post. The Renault Fluence - a poorly positioned product - is in it's 3 straight month of decline. In only 3 months since launch!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 19:58   #173
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the sales figures.

Is it just me? I like the older format of the monthly sales thread better, the new one is a little tougher to read since it has a lot more information. IMO older one was cleaner.
Old 9th September 2011, 20:13   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM
Thanks GTO for the sales figures.

Is it just me? I like the older format of the monthly sales thread better, the new one is a little tougher to read since it has a lot more information. IMO older one was cleaner.
Same here, I preferred the snapshot rather than the mtd / ytd.
For those interested we could post both. Thinking aloud.
Old 9th September 2011, 20:33   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The Nanos simply don't seem to stop catching fire. Here is one that recently caught fire in Sri Lanka.

Tata Nano catches fire in Sri Lanka!
More info here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-pg34-48.html
Old 9th September 2011, 20:53   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update*

Renault & Porsche added to the opening post. The Renault Fluence - a poorly positioned product - is in it's 3 straight month of decline. In only 3 months since launch!
I am not so sure. Even the Superb is in 3 straight months of decline -times are tough for most manufacturers and brands. However, given the _few_ Renault dealerships, they are selling decent numbers compared to (say) Civic! Frankly, I expected much worse.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:07   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update*

Makes me wonder how a Porsche dealer can justify his investment!
Old 9th September 2011, 23:42   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Same here, I preferred the snapshot rather than the mtd / ytd.
For those interested we could post both. Thinking aloud.
I prefer this format but want to make a small suggestion to take care of above issue.
We can change the table in such a way to start with the most recent month first and then going backwards.
Old 10th September 2011, 01:04   #179

Many thanks GTO for the report. I hope the coming festive months will do wonders to car sales in India. As somebody waiting for the delivery of Jazz next month it was good to know the sales picking up. I hope my number also figures in the Jazz sales in your report next month. Going by the waiting period it would be worth the wait.

Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 07:38   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr
I prefer this format but want to make a small suggestion to take care of above issue.
We can change the table in such a way to start with the most recent month first and then going backwards.
I was going to suggest the same. Reverse the order of the month columns and put most recent month on the left.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed