Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:00   #31
BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Thanks for the report GTO.. Superb - My Gift - A pack of Marlboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The previous generation Accent usually managed 1/2 of that.
--Assume this is the prev gen Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- The Linea is on its way to becoming an extinct species. It's nearly impossible to run a model (production) line with a mere 100 odd units sold!! Punto closes the month at just under a 1,000 units. August & July are the only two months this year where it hasn't managed a 4 digit tally.
--Will this be the fate of the Chevy UVA too - probably so.

- The blue eyed boy seems to be chugging along well. Wonder how many are the top VXI with airbags and ABS variant. It also has a big plus of company fitted CNG and LPG kits which make the oil burner engine not necessary and sales still high. The i10 can think of this route , if the oil burner is not a quick possibility.

Last edited by vignesh_ny : 3rd September 2011 at 16:03. Reason: Did not preview
vignesh_ny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Comparo Charts

Low cost People Mover:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-a_seg.jpg

B Segment:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-b_seg.jpg

B+ Segment:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-b_seg.jpg

Premium Hatchback
:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-premium_hb.jpg

Entry Level Sedan:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-c_seg.jpg

C Segment:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-c_seg.jpg

C+ Segment:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-lux_c_seg.jpg

UVs:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-uv_seg.jpg

MUVs:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-muv_seg.jpg

SUVs
:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-suv_seg.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:03   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Comparo Charts contd...

D Segment:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-d_seg.jpg

Luxury SUVs
:

August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis-lux_suv.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My observations :
  • Santa Fe - massive improvement over last month
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The Hyundai Santa Fe seems to have notched up quite some numbers this time, 226 to be precise. Seems like their advertisements are working, is there a discount offer also that they have ongoing?
The Santa Fe has sure had a great month-on-month gain and I am sure its going to settle down in this range. Heard from the dealer last month that Hyundai has started assembling the Santa Fe in India now, don't know how true it is. But to coincide with what I heard from the dealer, Hyundai had an ad in the leading dailies announcing that they are reopening the bookings for Santa Fe. IMO, Santa Fe is here to stay. At last, a success for Hyundai India in the SUV segment after a couple of disasters in the form of Terracan and Tucson.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:07   #35
BHPian

Very very interesting.
Honda City has sold more than the so called hot hatch, i20 :-)
This is what a simple price correction could do for a car. What if Honda had brought down the price by 1-1.25 lakhs instead of 66K?
ANHV,NFF, SX4, Vento, Manza etc would have been lying in the yards.
What will be the scene once Honda launches it's diesel City?
Looks like City is going to be the "Alto" of the C-segment

ANHV, in another few months will be shown its place.Just having few useless gadgets won't/shouldn't help any car maker to sell its products. A figure of 800-1000 is "right" for ANHV. This group just looks for bells and whistles.

All the reviews about ANHV says one common factor of "No confidence beyond a speed of 100 kmph". Who wouldn't want to take his/her car to that speed on a longish ride?
Whether you stable has both petrol and diesel, it just doesn't matter if the car doesn't inspire confidence in the consumers.
Above all, whatever anyone does for their car, in C-segment H still holds the snob value. That also plays big time in stupid Indian minds.
NFF, without a price correction, looks very hard to take off.
The only problem with more number of Honda sales is that, this will result in more Honda ownership threads and formation of multitude of mutual admiration society of Honda owners.
Please mods, do look into this before t-bhp becomes a full fledged Honda site :-)

What is happening with Linea? Is it over priced? Isn't it a good quality vehicle? Are the prospective buyers being put off by infamous TASS?
Hope Fiat can do something about their vehicles.

What is plaguing Jazz? Even after 1.6lakh cut, it is still not flying off the shelves.

Hope Tata can do something about Nano.
Scorpio doesn't seem to be impacted at all. Infact, amidst all the turmoil, the sales have increased :-)

Last edited by bkbkr1212 : 3rd September 2011 at 16:10.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Comparo Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Low cost People Mover:
swiftnfurious, thanks a lot for the charts!

Well. Please answer my queries and concerns , if time permits!
  1. Fiat Palio belongs to the B+ segment.
  2. Tata Venture is listed as a B+ segment vehicle! I used to think it was a utility vehcile. Anyone?
  3. Fiat Punto belongs to Premium Hatchback segment and NOT B+ segment.
  4. Nissan Micra a Premium Hatchback? Anyone?
  5. Maruti Wagon a B+ segment car(?)
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:21   #37
BHPian

Congratulations and thanks GTO,

Like others said this is the most eagerly awaited thread every month. I have been checking several times a day for last couple of days. Today I was feeling sleepy after lunch and I decided to check team-bhp for keep myself from falling asleep, the moment I saw this one on hot thread list my sleep vanished.

As for the NANO figures, I don't know whats wrong? Cheap car, good fuel efficiency, consistent marketing, it has this all. Are people put off by overall cheap quality of the car?

P.S.: Oh my god, six posts put up while I wrote above content, this shows the popularity of this thread.

Last edited by indianvirus : 3rd September 2011 at 16:24.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to the popular belief, I feel Jazz has done rater well to have sold a lot better than previous months. The battle for the premium petrol hatch now has a very worthy competitor in the Jazz. If we take away the 1.3 MJD hearted Swift/Ritz sales and it will be interesting to see if the Jazz really is a dud. Well if I was in the market for a top petrol hatch, Jazz would be my number 1 choice easily.

Looks like the early phobia that I was experiencing before the nano was launched about all the roads chock-0-block with Nanos is now gone. Nano is done and dusted and its figures surely suggest that its now a dud. I doubt if tata can price it any lower to revive sales.

New Ford Fiesta is a pricing disaster and Ford know it. Looks like special editions will be launched this Diwali itself.

Waiting for a diesel City now

Last edited by SPARKled : 3rd September 2011 at 16:28.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:33   #39
BHPian

GTO

Thanks for the update! Was awaiting the data for the last couple of days like everyone else.

Nano - phew, what can be done to get it up and walking - let alone running?
Kizashi - Too pricey
Fiat - Hard luck, is all I can say. I'm starting to love the Punto ever since I bought my i20 4 months ago. (Anyone wants to swap?)
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:33   #40
BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO.

City proves it's mettle. No wonder since the sole reason is that Gem of an engine!

Linea, well.. We Indians are not falling for looks. It is the total cost of ownership (read resale value) that matters. Let us wait for Fiat spinning off Tata and introduce a Evo'ised Punto.

Yes, Nano and Manza deserve much better figures. I think the brand image of TML is beating these two really good cars black and blue.

Micra is solidly doing 1500+ regularly.

New Fiesta, I am shocked to see such poor performance. Verna, looks + gizmos + resale value making wonders.

I was told by a supplier of Hyundai that i20s and Vernas are on high demand and they are not offered a single rupee as discount, whereas for an recently bought i10 HMIL gave him a 70K discount. Sign of things to come I guess.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:48   #41
BHPian

Eagerly awaited thread. Thanks GTO! My observations, based on the fact that these are company to dealer numbers:

Mahindra Verito: Great show! I think the market has accepted that there is no worry despite the "Renault" name gone.

Hyundai i10: Marginal increase since the last month. I don't think there is a compelling reason to bring the diesel, given the long waiting period for the 1.4/1.6 diesels engines from Korea. i10 + Santro at ~16K this month is greater than WagonR+Estillo+AStar combo at ~14K. I think Hyundai will be happy as long as the i10+Santro combo is at least 75-80% of the WagonR+Estillo+AStar + Ritz (petrol) combo.

Hyundai i20: Two consecutive months of 5K+ numbers as opposed to 7K+ numbers. IMO Jazz 1.2 and Ritz diesel account for the drop.

ANHV vs ANHC and i20 vs Jazz: Both companies have production constraints. Hyundai for the diesel engines, and Honda for the Jazz. Otherwise both the ANHV and the Jazz company to dealer numbers would have been higher.

Nissan Micra: Very low numbers for a very capable car.

Coming launches that would be very interesting:
-> Honda Brio takes the fight to the i10/WagonR etc brigade.
-> Hyundai Eon takes the fight to the Alto. Lets Go!
-> Maruti R III to the Innova/Xylo.
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:51   #42
BHPian

After all the hoopla only 600 Jazz's have been sold

I am quite surprised to see the Fiesta classic selling almost 4 times more than the new Fiesta.
Wasn't is supposed to be the other way around
Old 3rd September 2011, 16:54   #43
BHPian

Quick points:
1. Etios sales declining!
2. Distressed by seeing Linea Sales figures. 113? unbelievable!
3. Hats off to Mahindra for the Verito!
4. Glad to see pathetic Ford Fiesta sales. No offence but serves them right, doesn't it? fleecing customers like this...! And we thought it would compete with the Verna, which continues to sell 10 times more!!
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the figures - gloom doom month overall and the squeeze should get even more spectacular in the coming months with interest rates likely to rise even further . I understand that 2 wheeler sales (Bajaj / Hero ) have picked up significantly due to financing squeeze.
IMO, there are few surprises apart from the sudden significant reduction in numbers of Etios sold. As someone mentioned , is that due to people postponing purchase expecting the launch of the diesel mill or maybe changing over to Liva . The sharp fall does not seem right somehow.
Good show by ANHC, right pricing did the trick for this wonderful car. The official price cuts, the unofficial discounts ( my friend got a discount of 66K over and above the reduced official price on a SMT that he booked last week which makes it more than a lakh cheaper than comparable cars) and the lack of any waiting period makes ANHC a rollicking proposition. I would expect Jazz sales to pick up significantly in the coming months , the pricing is bang on. Amongst all premium hatches , IMO its the pick of the lot if someone is not too particular about a diesel mill. Honda has clearly learnt its lesson well , good for consumers.
Vento and ANHV would definitely settle around these monthly numbers - I don't think their monthly production can exceed these numbers . Vento had capacity of 3K per month and Hyundai diesel power train numbers cap out at more or less 4K so the numbers are not surprising . I do not believe that stability above 100 kmph should mar too many ANHV buying decisions which is otherwise a good product. VW needs to sort out the buying experience issue at the dealer side, many of us have experienced the forgettable side of buying a Vento which is otherwise a fantastic car . Ford has been hit with a double whammy on the new Fiesta - their new car launch with a new "optimistic" price coincided with the beginning of the squeeze in the Indian 4 wheeler markets. Ford has globally increased price of their products but in many of those markets , there is little or no inflation and interest rates are still at or near historic lows. Local brains for local presence - they should learn it from Toyota , Hyundai and of late Honda !

Fiat makes some of the best small cars ( "small" in the global sense where even Corolla is a small car ) , if they are serious about India they have to go with their own dealership network and service centre or they have to be content with their drive trains and mills adorning other badges . I have a sinking feeling that Fiat is too busy digesting their Chrysler acquisition and their dreams of prising open the US market . Given that they are not a huge company and does not possess the financial muscle that companies like VW, Hyundai, Toyota has - I do not see them investing too much in India in the coming years . A pitter patter once in a few months but nowhere close to what the biggies have done in India .
I also wonder about GM's strategy - what are they doing here ? UVA , Aveo , Optra, Captiva - each of these consistently sell below 200 per month. Beat , Tavera and Cruze are the only saving grace - can't they do product rationalisation ? How about staying in the game in those areas where you have a foothold ?

Last edited by souravc : 3rd September 2011 at 17:08.
Old 3rd September 2011, 17:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
ANHV, in another few months will be shown its place.Just having few useless gadgets won't/shouldn't help any car maker to sell its products. A figure of 800-1000 is "right" for ANHV. This group just looks for bells and whistles.

All the reviews about ANHV says one common factor of "No confidence beyond a speed of 100 kmph". Who wouldn't want to take his/her car to that speed on a longish ride?
While I agree the 100 kmph comment more than yourself, the first comment does not sound well. People can choose what they want. Gizmos or handling. Afterall, it is their money
Closed Thread

Most Viewed