Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2011, 13:24   #106
BHPian

Re: August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Thanks GTO for the details.

Considering the overall slowdown in the vehicle business, the figures for the top brands are considerable. It is disappointing that one of the biggest brand globally , known for its competitive hatchback models and a decent sedan, FIAT has lost its plot here in India.

Quality issues (with the plastics), rubbish after sales support and endless wait for spares is killing its products here. DONT KNOW WHAT LESSONS ARE TO BE TAUGHT TO FIAT MANAGEMENT FOR THEM TO UNDERSTAND THE INDIAN MARKET.
Old 4th September 2011, 14:53   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Given the huge amount of money that would get blocked in inventory, I don't think dealers can sustain unrealistic projections for more than a couple of months.
Yes but would it be hard for a company to provide support in the initial period (say 6-8 months) for a single product which is a new launch to show an inflated demand. I look at this demand and naturally perceive the vehicle to be good as a lot of demand is there hence go ahead with my purchase decision thus triggering a buying cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this is a good point if indeed these sales reports are primaries (b2b). what really counts here are secondaries - (b2c). not sure if these reports pertain to b2b or actual consumer off take. if they pertain to the former then definitely it only shows an inclination as to what products the dealers are betting on. but it is possible (in the absence of other data) to extrapolate that what the dealers are betting on is what the consumer market actually wants - with some amount of standard deviations here and there.
Apart from the the scenario I mentioned what I can alternatively do as a company is provide very high support during the months of July, August, and September again to prove the vehicle is selling in good numbers and October a good month for sales would help me get rid of this stock in market as people for past 3 months are seeing high sales figures thus assuming product is selling well.

I know I am making an assumption without any market research here that sales figures are a decisive factor for a customer to alter his purchase decision, but for me they are.

Also I have one more doubt if I see Santa Fe numbers a jump from 100, 122, 141 to 226 in August should I conclude that the vehicle did good in august in the market?
Old 4th September 2011, 15:28   #108
Team-BHP Support

Thank you Rush, for the detailed list.

It's rather sad to see the Linea slump to such low figures. And to think that our market is driven by customers who prefer sedans over their hatchback cousins. I wonder why the Linea is doing so badly.

The Yeti, too, is a great car. Practically speaking, it's the perfect car for the nuclear family. We should be seeing more of it. But then again, Indian's are practically, umm.. unpractical!

VW needs to get its act together, if they'd like to kindle any ideas of capturing volumes in our market. A wider service-network would help a great deal, and dumping those useless 3-pot lumps would be a great idea too.

I expect the Jazz to do much better in the month of September, considering that the face-lift was introduced only on the 18th of August. One can expect the figures to double or even triple pretty soon.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:28   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
Yes but would it be hard for a company to provide support in the initial period (say 6-8 months) for a single product which is a new launch to show an inflated demand. I look at this demand and naturally perceive the vehicle to be good as a lot of demand is there hence go ahead with my purchase decision thus triggering a buying cycle.

Apart from the the scenario I mentioned what I can alternatively do as a company is provide very high support during the months of July, August, and September again to prove the vehicle is selling in good numbers and October a good month for sales would help me get rid of this stock in market as people for past 3 months are seeing high sales figures thus assuming product is selling well.

I know I am making an assumption without any market research here that sales figures are a decisive factor for a customer to alter his purchase decision, but for me they are.
Most of sales of cars are influenced by buyer side based on budget, features, desire of spouse, children rather than getting influenced by statistics. Even among highly informed team bhp members often talk of heart over brain in making final buying decision.

To me it appears that 50% City numbers may be pushed as stock for dealers for normal Festive season sales. As for Jazz dealers are not confident on Jazz prospects they could have resisted any push by Honda and hence Jazz stays at 600.

Last edited by Eddy : 4th September 2011 at 23:36. Reason: Fixed Quotes
Old 4th September 2011, 16:35   #110
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
As for Jazz dealers are not confident on Jazz prospects they could have resisted any push by Honda and hence Jazz stays at 600.
Selling volumes in Jazz will require a huge mind set change at the Dealer's place. Honda Dealers have always played the card that only their customers are high profile and rich only. Jazz in the past was largely a 2nd/3rd Car. Now if they want to push volumes, the dealers should be ready to address a wider spectrum of buyers with different expectations.
Old 4th September 2011, 16:47   #111
BHPian

Interest rate does not seem like it will be let down soon. There is still very slow growth in the US, so the next month (even with festivals) the trend may not improve.
Old 4th September 2011, 17:24   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Thanks swiftnfurious.
@anu- why do you still think it is sheer stupidity for Suzuki to agree a limit of 2.5lakhs engines per year??
They got a licence to manufacture 2.5 lakh engines under Suzuki badge with a DDiS name that itself is a big advantage and suzuki should be thankfull to FIAT for that, had they requested for a unlimited engine production contract i doubt the deal would have ever happened!!

Without anydoubt It is a Fair Business deal that has happened between FIAT and SUZUKI.
Hey Thanks for your comments. Could you also throw some light on when this contract is ending.
Old 4th September 2011, 17:36   #113
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
Let me guess, you are into stocks

Don't you think any manufacturer worth its salt would rather focus on its products and services rather than market manipulation?
Old 4th September 2011, 20:19   #114
BHPian

i hope tata launches an improved manza with better handling soon to take on the etios liva diesel, also because i want to buy a manza in the next year or so.

i wonder whats happened to fiats plans of developing a new retail strategy in india. Didnt they announce that they were going to setup... i think what they called experience centers for their cars?

I have complete faith that tata will vastly improve their manza / vista and run up huge sales numbers and enter a lot of export markets as well.

i just hope i can pick up a lot of tata motors shares before these things happen. i missed the bus the last time. im sure it will start again.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:09   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Let me guess, you are into stocks

Don't you think any manufacturer worth its salt would rather focus on its products and services rather than market manipulation?
I would take your guess as a compliment

one part of my brain says , while the other part wonders whether no one would be doing this. Would go with what you are saying for inner peace

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2011 at 11:58. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smileys per post please
Old 4th September 2011, 23:12   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Rush for the new improved display of sales figures.
The sales figures for August 2011 are quite crucial and indicative of how our car makers have fared and will fare during trying times. The interest rates on loans have reached dizzying heights due to the credit crunch and crisis.Petrol rates have also reached an all time high and despite the diesel prices being jacked up, the price differential between these two fuels is still a whopping Rs 22 to Rs 25.
Coming to the top 20, it has seven models of Maruti featuring, the top 2 slots being their occupied territory. Obviously the DZire has pipped the Swift as Swift production was stopped and the new model launch had and still has hiccups owing to the Manesar good conduct saga. Quality problems are bound to crop up sooner or later. Workers having "good conduct" work now at Manesar according to MSIL, but they are raw ITI pass-outs. Other newbies are also being enrolled and engineers from Gurgaon are here.Gurgaon makes the 800,Wagon R, Alto,Omni and so on.The other hi-tech, higher priced Marutis are all made in Manesar where there is trouble (now on a 24X7 basis).So Gurgaon cannot be Manesar and the vice versa! You cannot deploy Chevrolet engineers to make Cadillacs. The Eeco has after all taken off !The A Star is another freak baby from MSIL!
Hyundai has four slots in the top 20. All these cars from HMIL deserve to be there. The i10 is quite well accepted by buyers, but as promised by HMIL during its launch in 2008, its diesel version is STILL AWAITED??? With a diesel heart, this car could have been at no 2 or maybe even no.1.The Santro still outsells many other cars in its class.And lastly, the new Fluidic Verna has made an impact. The older Verna never actually deserved to succeed the Accent- The Accent during its fading times almost outsold the old Verna.
The two cars from Tata are there in the top 20 as expected. The Nano on which Tata pinned its hopes, perhaps to outsell the VW Beetle and the public said that it will cause traffic snarls as it will become as common as flies and mosquitoes, is nowhere to be seen in the top 20. A pity! Today (Sunday), I saw a yellow Nano at the Tata showroom being readied for tomorrow,perhaps for a roadshow with huge stickers on all its doors saying "Rs 20,000 off "!!! Honda corrected the City price and this car has reached the 11th position on the top 20. Respected Ratanji who is making sincere efforts to prop up Nano sales feels the Nano can do a City. It cannot as a Tata is not a Honda! And I fully agree with Rush when he says the Nano is a flop! The adverse publicity took its toll. Who will buy a combustible car? Even if the media has blown up the events, the car has now got the "fire" tag embedded on its CV.
Coming to Mahindra,the top 20 has to feature the Bolero at the 10 plus or minus two slot, without which the chart cannot be genuine or complete.It has just fully captured the rural and taxi market. The government goes for Boleros too.It is perhaps the most suitable replacement for the good old Ambassador.
And the Scorpio has just beaten the Innova after a long, long time to emerge as the best selling SUV. Its like the Indy Pulsar outselling the Jap Honda bikes!! A tribute to the Scorpio and for all it stands.The Xylo sales after the initial hype and good figures and long waiting lists have now started going downhill. Its resale value is lower than the Scorpio.The Verito from M&M has picked up sales wise.
The VW Vento has outsold the Polo and is there, be it even at no. 20.A good preformance by VW India.
Ford has only the Figo to boast of, while GM has its Beat both having diesel variants on offer. Where's the new Fiesta? It sold 401 units, but I am yet to see any! The Spark ain't going nowhere! Its sales in August are lower vis a vis its March sales by almost 60%.
The Fiat sales are pathetic.In the Tata showrooms, apart from the Indica/Vista and Indigo/Manza perhaps all other offerings are haunted! The "Petrol Ke Price Mein Diesel" campaign and offer has miserably flopped, it appears. The Tavera outsells the once very popular Sumo!
The HM Mitsubishi stable is also haunted perhaps.The Pajero sales at 175 units are good - maybe it is able outsell the good ol' Amby sometime soon! Every few months, we read that the Amby is being spruced up and so on, but the same old one is seen in showrooms.
Next month, lets watch whether the Sonata (12) outsells the Kizashi (8) or the other way? Both are "khandani" coming from best selling companies!
The Toyota Etios and Liva are yet to make any major impact.The Nissan Micra is also not a good seller yet!
The same market conditions continue during September. The festival season is fast approaching, which will surely boost sales by this month end . Lets wait and watch the chart busters and the laggards.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th September 2011 at 23:29.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 23:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

I think the Linea's numbers have got nothing to do with Fiat's brand image or after sales issues. Linea has not had any facelifts/improvements since launch - meanwhile better products have been launched in the segment. Yes, they launched the T-jet, but it's only a new variant and not a product improvement. I think Fiat should try to improve the product itself along with A.S.S. The same is applicable, perhaps to a lesser extent, to Punto as well.
Old 4th September 2011, 23:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hi noopster,

The BMW X1 continues to be the monthly sales leader and they sold a lot in the month of July and August it's just the individual sales figures for BMW have not been posted.

BMW India sold 840 cars in July and I can assure you a large chunk of that is from the BMW X1, and by searching online I got the figure is 484 units. August too I assure you will be nothing less as my dealer always has loads of them and they keep vanishing as if it were magic.

X1 is not really a tragedy, but the greatest magic wand for BMW India, who have managed to get all kinds of customers into the brand and I can assume a lot of them will slowly move up the ladder into the better models!

Regards,

Link to BMW India X1 July sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Why has the X1 not sold for the last 2 months? No offtakes from showrooms? Real tragedy that for BMW.
Old 4th September 2011, 23:49   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
And the Scorpio has just beaten the Innova after a long, long time to emerge as the best selling SUV. Its like the Indy Pulsar outselling the Jap Honda bikes!! A tribute to the Scorpio and for all it stands.

Toyota is unable to manufacture enough Innovas. A friend of mine was quoted a 6 month wait-list in Hyderabad. Situation is similar elsewhere for eg see the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-you-deal.html
Old 5th September 2011, 01:56   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
They got a licence to manufacture 2.5 lakh engines under Suzuki badge with a DDiS name that itself is a big advantage and suzuki should be thankfull to FIAT for that, had they requested for a unlimited engine production contract i doubt the deal would have ever happened!!
Thankful is a strange word to use here - it's not as if FIAT is doing a favour to Maruti. I am pretty sure Maruti can line up a lot of other European companies for their diesel engines. OTOH, Maruti using Fiat Engines is probably the one thing which is keeping Fiat afloat in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks