Team-BHP - August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   August 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/107160-august-2011-indian-car-sales-analysis.html)

TOP 20

Some observations:

Growth is sliding, thanks to the higher interest rates & fuel prices. As if these two weren't enough, Maruti isn't able to effectively resolve it's labour issues and the resultant dent on production output. Competition in the B & C segments is fiercer than ever. Year on year, Maruti recorded a 17% fall in domestic sales, Hyundai dipped by 7% and Tata's passenger cars by 33%. On the other hand, manufacturers like Honda, Toyota & VW make noticeable year-on-year improvements. It is noteworthy to mention that August 2010 was the then best month ever in the Indian car market. This time last year was indeed epic stuff!

- King of the Indian market, the Maruti Alto, sees 23,170 invoices in August. While the sheer volume is still a feat, it's the lowest of 2011 for the hatchback, and a far cry from the consistent 30,000+ from the 1st quarter of this year. Likewise for the WagonR which is a strong No.2 on the India rankings, albeit still lower, relative to earlier performances. Maruti's UVs - the Omni & Eeco - record a decent month, despite not offering a diesel variant. The Ritz has an extremely good show with 7,000 sales, thanks in no small part to the Swift's wait period & delays. The new Swift will undoubtedly get back to the benchmarks set by its previous avatar, once the labour troubles are sorted out. You can see the effect of the strike also on the SX4 & the A-Star. The Army appears to be buying a lot of 4x4s lately; one of the rare months where the Gypsy basks in 4 digit glory. Kizashi is now officially a flop, unsurprising when you consider the over-optimistic pricing.

- The Hyundai hatchback trio - Santro, i10 & i20 - had a good run in August. Though, ever since the petrol price hike, they haven't quite returned to the high levels previously seen. For instance, for the first 4 months of the year, the i10 had an average monthly tally of 14,607. That's reduced to 10,130 in the latter 4 month period. Where's the diesel i10? For an old workhorse, the Accent ain't doing too bad @ 714 sales, while the Fluidic Verna (and its wow factor) close August with an impressive 4,211 shipments. The previous generation Verna usually managed 1/2 of that.

- Nano inventory had built up so much that Tata stopped production for a good part of August. If we go by the price / performance ratio, the Nano is a flop. The Indicas do decently well (combined), but the Indigo sisters need stronger marketing support. I still insist that the Manza alone is capable of 5,000+ units, if product competence is alone considered. Cheaper 4x2 variant doesn't seem to be doing much for the Aria.

- Things looking up for Honda, with price cuts et al. Year on year, Honda is up 25%. The City sells nearly 6,000 copies, and makes it to no.11 on the India best selling list! The price cut has suddenly made it VFM, lack of diesel engine be damned (though not having an oil burner will dampen its performance in the coming months). The Jazz climbs up to 600, which while improved, is still shoddy relative to the competition's performance (namely, the Hyundai i20). The Civic & Accord submit an average report card for August. Having driven the Brio, I can tell you that it's going to sell all that Honda can make (of course, as long as it's priced correctly).

- The Innova's average sales for the Jan - July period is 4,303, and that's exactly the number this MUV did in August as well. Great show in a damp month. Etios & Liva siblings put in mediocre performances, diesel engines coming up in less than a week. The Corolla & Fortuner continue to lead their respective segments.

- The value for money & all-rounded Figo seems to be settling down in the mid-5's, bringing in consistent volumes for Ford. But it's disaster for the new Fiesta that, in only it's 2nd month, has sold a mere 400 cars. In fact, the ol' Fiesta Classic has actually climbed up the ladder after the new Fiesta's launch. Obviously, as has been vastly discussed on the official review thread, the new Fiesta is very poor value for money. The City, Verna & Vento will continue to give it a hammering until Ford rolls out price corrections.

- Well priced Beat diesel is doing rather well; thanks to the diesel, it's sold as many in two months, as the petrol did in the 6 months prior. The Chevy Spark's production capacity seems to be diverted to the Beat. Status quo on the Cruze (in a good way) and the Optra (in a bad way). Captiva is slowly sliding out of the premium SUV market. No differentiator and zero promotions.

- The Polo has an ordinary month, while the Vento isn't able to keep up with the Verna & City's success. 300+ dealer despatches for the new Jetta, and the Passat ends August as the No.2 D segment sedan (behind the Superb, and a single unit ahead of the Accord).

- Not a good month for Skoda...all of its cars have had their worst month of the year till date. While the Fabia, Laura & Superb still move along, the Yeti seems to be having an awful time convincing buyers.

- Unbelievable, yet true. A car that was written off by all & sundry - the Mahindra Logan / Verito - continues its slow & steady growth up the charts, recording its best month in 2011 (and DOUBLE that of August 2010). The Bolero is still the No.1 MUV from the segment, though the effect of interest rakes is visible on its performance (lowest of the year thus far). The Scorpio records its best month of 2011, while the Xylo honestly puts up a poor show...if you consider Mahindra's might, muscle & reach in the people mover segment. An MUV that just hasn't really clicked. Mahindra top honchos must be scratching their heads trying to figure out why.

- The Endeavour & Pajero put in an expected sales tally of 200 units (+ / - 10%). Petrol-only Outlander & overpriced CRV continue losing favour in the market. The Hyundai Santa Fe is now fighting tooth & nail for the No. 2 spot with the Endeavour.

- The Linea is on its way to becoming an extinct species. It's nearly impossible to run a model (production) line with a mere 100 odd units sold!! Punto closes the month at just under a 1,000 units. August & July are the only two months this year where it hasn't managed a 4 digit tally.

- The Renault Fluence - a poorly positioned product - is in it's 3 straight month of decline. In only 3 months since launch!

They so much need to make Nano sound better. I sat into one recently and was amazed at what they have done in that small car. Just change the exhaust note Tata. Just change the exhaust note.

GTO,

First of all thanks for the most awaited thread of the month.

Sad to know that the NFF has not met the customer expectation on the price front, I hope Ford does not start coming out with limited edtitions the way it did with the now Classic Fiesta.

Sad to know Linea numbers are slipping. Fiat need to come up with something special to arrest the declining sales. Or its doomed.

I hope the festive season brings in some cheer for the brands as sales are expected to increase.

Honda City has once again claimed the crown of C segment. What a simple price correction can do. I still fail to understand why so much petrol machines are selling when the competent diesel mill is available at the similar price bracket. I feel if VW can set it's production issues right, the Vento will regain the ground.

My observations :

Thanks for the report GTO!
- Just 400 odd Fiestas? I say make a price correction before the festive season starts.
- Jazz is still nowhere near the competition. It is such a great car now at that price. Hope it sells well in the coming months.
- My god! Only 100 odd Lineas! I feel even the 1.6 MJD won't do any good right now. Bring a nice small car Fiat, real soon.
- Looks like the 2WD is doing no good for Aria, drop in numbers. Lets see what it does in the coming months.
- Laura's sales fell inspite of the discounts. Looks like only Team-Bhpians go for the TSIs. :D
- Altis is doing well post facelift.
- Lastly, City is back and how! What a price correction do.

Thanks again for the report GTO.

What was Ford India thinking when they went about deciding thr pricing of the Fiesta. I am sure that they read the news papers, mqagazines and the online forums. With the current pricing the Fiesta has nary a chance. The enthusiasts still prefer the Fiesta Claasic which is better value for money and has a more spirited pertol power plant.

Ford may well revise the pricing to boost sales. However, such actions are not appreciated by the market and the people buying the cars. It also speaks ill about the company's understanding of the Indian market. Ford has started advertising the Fiesta, but with the current pricing I am sure the numbers will not show much improvement.

What a month for Honda!

City is now number one selling C segment car beating Verna and Vento for this month. Very interesting to note that the car is available only in petrol model and is three years old while others are available in diesel and are latest models. Still the car is managing to sell that well.

Thanks GTO for sharing the data with us.

good to know that skodas are not selling much as that means discounts and that is a good news for people like me who are in to market for buying cars right now:)

This time it was quite late, but better late than never. You really tested out patience GTO.

Etios just 2708. I believe its the first time the numbers are so low since its launch. Customers eagerly awaiting for the diesel launch I guess, which is due 7th or 9th Sep. Only then Etios will be at level playing field with the Dezires & Manzas of the world.

Verna consistently clocking 4K+ is quite commendable.

Verito clocking 1700+, the sales are slowly but steadily climbing northwards for the last couple of months, is this the Mahindra effect? The erstwhile Logan was hardly recognized & now there seems to be no stopping the Verito.

Thanks GTO.. Was looking for this update eagerly.

Honda: City is back with a bang. the price correction on city has put the king back to the throne.

Maruti: Tallboy WagonR is proving to be the consistent player for Maruti. It's like Dravid of indian Cricket ;) Kizashi is seeing it's worst month ever, just 8. Looks like Vitara has a company now. SX4 Diesel has turned out to be a dud, not helping them much.

Chevy: Look at Beat... Boy they got it right with the diesel option and no wonder it's the best selling Chevy today. Sad to see Gem of Optra slipping further down.

Fiat: Linea at 113 !!!! That must be the worst performance. Awesome car, let down by poor reputation.

Tata: I still don't want to write-off Nano. I hope it makes a strong come back. Manza in itself deserves 4000+. Again the Indigo tag seem to be quite strong on customer's mind.

Skoda: Post discount period, Skoda is back with declining numbers. they need to get laurette out faster and bring Yeti 110bhp to survive in the number game.

Mahindra: Superb month for them... All their models are doing great. Verito is at 1700 !! wow.

Toyota: Never liked their etios or Liva. Their attitude of stripping out the features and calling it "made for india" !!!! Anyday, the Manza is much better vfm than Etios... similarly Figo is more value than Liva.

Sad to see Nano going down on the charts. Aria 4X2 has not had an impact either.

Thanks GTO. was wondering why the delay in this post but boy again what a wonderful post.

The month clearly showing drop in sales across most models and manufacturers.

Honda city clearly showing what a wonderful car, engine, brand and now price can do. It is simply amazing. Jazz picking up, but still nowhere near where it can be. I guess from next month, we should see jazz going past the 3 digit mark.

MSIL feeling the pressure of the market scenario, i.e. Petrol prices, competition and Interest rates. However, what seems to be bothering more is their internal labor issue. Ritz has benefited and now for the 2nd month in running crossed the 7K mark. Swift will obviously pick up from next month provided labor issues are sorted. Kizashi will soon get into the museum. Pricing and lack of diesel mill affecting big time.

Clear duds seem to be the Fiats both the Punto and Linea. As someone said, Linea will become an endangered species. Looks like some Project Tiger kind of initiative will be required to keep it alive. Linea - Only admiration guaranteed and not sales.
Fiesta is also a sales dud. Just 400 nos with both Petrol and diesel is disappointing. Ford will have to do a Honda city to revive this.

A surprising car seems to the Mahindra Verito. At 1700 odd nos, it is an amazing performance, Kudos to Mahindra for this.

Toyota Etios has halved its number. clearly the earlier months sale was an opportunistic one to fill the pipeline in the absence of Dzire supplies. Liva is also not a big performer but hopefully with the diesels the Etios family will improve.

The most awaited thread is here. Thanks. Great comeback by Honda. Imagine, what its facelifted model (perhaps with proper music system and ACC??? would do) rumoured to be launched this festival season, would do to the competition? Jazz, though going by the waiting list is expected to do wonders, but how many is actually planning to sell? Heard somewhere that they have a production capacity of meagre 500 cars per month? Needs confirmation badly? Swift is sure to emerge as a stunner.