Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 16:19   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Honda India announces a recall for the 2005 - 2007 Honda City (power window switches)

High Points:

- Honda announces a recall for the power window switches of 72,115 units of the City in India. This affects the 2nd Generation (manufactured between 2005 to 2007).

- Honda had earlier announced a part replacement exercise in Jan 2010 for 8532 units of the 2nd Generation City, manufactured in 2007. Although no incident has been reported in India, Honda is extending the same exercise to all Citys manufactured between 2005 to 2007.

- The replacement would be carried out free of cost and owners will be contacted shortly.

- This must be related to the defective master switch, which could lead to water entering the assembly. In the worst case, it could result in a fire.

NOTE : The 3rd Generation City, currently sold in India, is not affected and does not require any part replacement. Honda further clarified that the global recall does not impact the Honda Jazz and Honda CR-V sold in India.

Related Link:

- Honda to recall 57,000 Honda Citys for faulty engine parts

Honda India announces a recall for the 2005 - 2007 Honda City (power window switches)-newbluishsilver.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2011 at 22:44. Reason: Adding pic
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 16:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda India announces a recall for the 2005 - 2007 Honda City (power window switc

Then i wonder what Maruti should be doing for all the cars where the power window switches just disappear into the door pad !!

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 5th September 2011 at 16:31.
vibhu_f430 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 16:44   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda India announces a recall for the 2005 - 2007 Honda City (power window switc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points:

owners will be contacted shortly.
Till when should one wait to hear from Honda before proactively contacting them? I mean is there a timeframe to this? Please let me know as i have a 2006 model and have been suffering from problems with the power windows switches.

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honda to recall over 72,000 City sedans in India
Press Trust of India / New Delhi September 5, 2011, 16:32 IST

Japanese auto major Honda today said it will recall 72,115 units of its mid-sized sedan City in India to replace defective power window switches as part of a global exercise.

The company, which is present in India through a joint venture with the Siel Group -- Honda Siels Cars India -- said the recall would cover the second generation City manufactured from 2005 to 2007.

"HSCI is carrying out the part replacement as part of a global exercise by Honda Motor Company to ensure stringent quality standards for its products," the company said in a statement.

The replacement would be carried out free of cost and the owners will be contacted to carry out the exercise smoothly, it added.

"Although no incident has been reported in India, HSCI is extending the same exercise to the previously sold Honda City manufactured in 2005 to 2007," the company said.

Earlier, HSCI had announced a similar recall in January last year for 8,532 units of the City, manufactured in 2007.

The company, at present, sells the third generation of the City, which is not affected by the recall exercise, HSCI said.

Honda Motor is recalling 9.36 lakh cars, including hatchback Jazz, City and sports utility vehicle CR-V, globally due to defective power window switches.

HSCI, however, said the global recall does not impact the Jazz and CR-V sold in India.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Oh boy! Doesn't look like Honda's customers are going to be amused. Don't want to get into the "innocent-or-cheap" debate but too many recalls too soon for Honda.

Btw, isn't the recall tad too late? I remember at least 2 occasions where members have smelt/seen fire coming out of the switches.

Wonder if this is a result of the "increasing localization".
Old 5th September 2011, 22:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Oh boy! Doesn't look like Honda's customers are going to be amused. Don't want to get into the "innocent-or-cheap" debate but too many recalls too soon for Honda.

Btw, isn't the recall tad too late? I remember at least 2 occasions where members have smelt/seen fire coming out of the switches.

Wonder if this is a result of the "increasing localization".
Atleast there are recalls, which is a sign of accepting mistakes and fixing them. On the other hand, we are seeing incidents of brand new Tata Nanos burning. Wonder if Tata would accept issues and do the same.
mayanksabharwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 00:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Atleast there are recalls, which is a sign of accepting mistakes and fixing them. On the other hand, we are seeing incidents of brand new Tata Nanos burning. Wonder if Tata would accept issues and do the same.

IIRC, it is in movie Fight Club

if ((Compensation / Cost of out of court settlement per accident) * estimated number of incidents) < Cost of recall, recall is not done by the manufacturer!

I don't know if they made this up in the movie, but, it makes sense (from the manufacturer perspective) [Though I don't endorse this view]
Old 6th September 2011, 05:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO! This affects me since mine is a 2006 model. Not had a problem with the switches so far though. I guess one waits to hear from them?
Old 6th September 2011, 10:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
IIRC, it is in movie Fight Club

if ((Compensation / Cost of out of court settlement per accident) * estimated number of incidents) < Cost of recall, recall is not done by the manufacturer!

I don't know if they made this up in the movie, but, it makes sense (from the manufacturer perspective) [Though I don't endorse this view]
Yeah, he says that to hios fellow passenger in plane. Thats a made up thing, I am sure.
Old 6th September 2011, 19:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda India has a page up here -

Honda Siel Cars India Limited :: Customer Inquiry

If you own a second-gen City, simply enter your 17-character chassis number (must start with "MAKGD" only, other vehicles are not affected) and click on "Check".
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 19:34   #11
BHPian

I was firstly bit surprised to see the thread, I thought it was a old one and crossed checked the post dates two times, I remember that power window switch replacement recall was done in 2009 as I have a NHC 2007.

SO I would like to know what new are they doing? Havent they did a complete recall of all faulty cars earlier?
Old 6th September 2011, 19:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Yeah, he says that to hios fellow passenger in plane. Thats a made up thing, I am sure.
Please enlighten me, how is this recall decision taken? What are the factors that goes in to consideration while taking such a decision? I guess it willl depend on the number of incidents reported, but is that just it?

I am just wondering, all those cars which they are recalling are at least 4 years old and the owners would have been living with the issue so far, then why this decision suddenly?
Old 6th September 2011, 21:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
Please enlighten me, how is this recall decision taken? What are the factors that goes in to consideration while taking such a decision? I guess it willl depend on the number of incidents reported, but is that just it?

I am just wondering, all those cars which they are recalling are at least 4 years old and the owners would have been living with the issue so far, then why this decision suddenly?
Doing a full recall in case of Nano is difficult because of its (probably) low profit margins. If they can do out of court settlement easily, they would probably not go for a recall which is an expensive process.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any point in recalling vehicles between 4 and 6 years old for a power window issue? Wouldn't the cars that were defective already have encountered and possibly resolved the issue by now? What exactly is Honda trying to prove here?
Old 7th September 2011, 07:38   #15
BHPian

^^ probably they are telling the customer even if we gave you a bad product few years back we still care about you. And current product owners lookout for some news in 2014.
Jokes apart but it seems recalls by brands like Toyota and Honda have become order of the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks